Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by teach42
Makes me nervous whether they would roll that up or not.
Even if Marriott were to roll up the years it would likely not be a promise which could be made by the CSA who just happened to answer the phone. There are many reports in the Marriott thread of CSAs giving out erroneous information. Many people believe the CSAs are just saying whatever to get off the phone quickly. Unless you have something in writing I would not put any credence in the promise to roll you up another year, and even in writing I would want something from the loyalty program department, like the Lurkers were getting and posting on the SPG forum, and not just some random CSA.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:47 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Yes, I had one year of platinum SPG previously. Other than that, your math is correct. So IF I hit Marriott Platnium this year and hit SPG Platinum, that would net me 9 years 11 months 3 weeks. Makes me nervous whether they would roll that up or not.

I'm about to jump on the phone with Marriott again (bracing myself for 30 minutes of hold time) to ask about Gold status. I"m positive I've been gold several other years.

So is the correct math (# of years MR Gold) + (# of years MR Plat) + (# of years SPG Plat) = 10 or more to hit new Lifetime Platinum?
I don't understand the "roll up" comment at all. This is not based on time at a level, but years that you qualified for a level. If you have qualified for 9 years, it's 9 years. It doesn't matter when during the year you qualified, or how far into the current year you are (assuming you haven't qualified this year).

As for the proprietary nature of the year count (from earlier posts), this is exactly what CJKatl disagreed on a long time ago. I posited that some years (e.g. soft landings) would not count in the number of years in the LT calculation, but there is no real information on whether this would be the case or not. When they say "proprietary", that leads me to again believe that there is more than just the comped status (SPG to MR or vice-versa) that could be held out of the calculation.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:04 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Originally Posted by nova08
  • I had a MR stay within the past couple of days that posted to my account
  • The system automatically upgraded me to LTP.
So despite transferring points, the automatic process was not triggered until an actual stay.
I'm guessing a similar cause might be keeping me shown as life time silver even though I'm now at points and nights for lifetime gold. I crossed the points threshold with credit card spend, and haven't spent a night at Marriott since then. Perhaps I need a stay for the system to "catch up."

Greg
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by GregWTravels
I'm guessing a similar cause might be keeping me shown as life time silver even though I'm now at points and nights for lifetime gold. I crossed the points threshold with credit card spend, and haven't spent a night at Marriott since then. Perhaps I need a stay for the system to "catch up."

Greg
I suspect many systems will be getting a refresh come the 18th. Jimmy Hoffa might even surface once they start moving equipment/applications! around!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by tods27
I don't understand the "roll up" comment at all. This is not based on time at a level, but years that you qualified for a level. If you have qualified for 9 years, it's 9 years. It doesn't matter when during the year you qualified, or how far into the current year you are (assuming you haven't qualified this year).

As for the proprietary nature of the year count (from earlier posts), this is exactly what CJKatl disagreed on a long time ago. I posited that some years (e.g. soft landings) would not count in the number of years in the LT calculation, but there is no real information on whether this would be the case or not. When they say "proprietary", that leads me to again believe that there is more than just the comped status (SPG to MR or vice-versa) that could be held out of the calculation.
It was meant to be 'round up'. But now that you put it that way.... you're absolutely right. I have no idea what that even means. This entire thing is so annoying, in paritcular since even getting a person on the phone requires 30 minutes of hold time. And twice now, after being connected to an agent, I've gotten disconnected. I'm ready to just throw my hands in the air and just say 'que sera sera"
Old Aug 13, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
It was meant to be 'round up'. But now that you put it that way.... you're absolutely right. I have no idea what that even means. This entire thing is so annoying, in paritcular since even getting a person on the phone requires 30 minutes of hold time. And twice now, after being connected to an agent, I've gotten disconnected. I'm ready to just throw my hands in the air and just say 'que sera sera"
I stand by Marriott changing how years count without any notice and that next week we will not find retroactive changes where soft landings do not count. Marriott is transparent, honest and upfront. It would be out of character for them to suddenly make this change and would result in ill will they would not want. Going forward may prove to be different, but I still do not expect changes on already past awarded years. It would be very disappointing to see a surprise like this foisted on members.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: US/CO/AA/MR Plat
Originally Posted by jjmoore
I'm sure their IT could adjust your account (though based on their track record of competence, it may take 5 months and about 27 phone calls).
Quick update:

My wife transferred 50k to my account from her account after earning the 100k bonus and spending 10k on her card. Marriott refuses to add the 50k to my lifetime balance saying she earned those points as part of a bonus from Chase and they do not count towards my lifetime status even though they count towards her lifetime status. I've asked them for where this is in writing and they refuse to provide me the T&C's on this.

Does anyone know if this is correct? Who can I contact to run this up the tree?

Thanks
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
Quick update:

My wife transferred 50k to my account from her account after earning the 100k bonus and spending 10k on her card. Marriott refuses to add the 50k to my lifetime balance saying she earned those points as part of a bonus from Chase and they do not count towards my lifetime status even though they count towards her lifetime status. I've asked them for where this is in writing and they refuse to provide me the T&C's on this.

Thanks
Maybe it is a new policy. However, after this year I don't think it would matter because they aren't going to factor in lifetime points for lifetime status anymore.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by CJKatl
I stand by Marriott changing how years count without any notice and that next week we will not find retroactive changes where soft landings do not count. Marriott is transparent, honest and upfront. It would be out of character for them to suddenly make this change and would result in ill will they would not want. Going forward may prove to be different, but I still do not expect changes on already past awarded years. It would be very disappointing to see a surprise like this foisted on members.
Did you mean "not changing"?

Also, while I think it unlikely that, for example, Marriott will explicitly say that soft landings in the past will not count toward our years of elite, I think it quite possible that this could be the result in some cases by applying to the past years the new program's way of counting years of status. I certainly hope this doesn't happen, but they might not see the two as being the same action even though they could have the same result. That being said, for what it's worth (probably not much), every Marriott agent I spoke with about the number of years of status, talked about the length of time I've had status as opposed to how many times I have qualified.
CJKatl likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:18 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by RogerD408
...I suggest holding off jumping into the deep end too quickly and leave your accounts separated to see how it goes.
Agreed. My real hope is that I log in on the 19th (plan to leave those poor IT souls alone on the 18th) and see that Im already in LTPP status by virtue of 750+ native MR nights along w/ 10+ years of 50-night or above status. Then I can wait until the dust settles before trying anything rash...
Old Aug 13, 2018, 2:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by SDLFlyer
Quick update:

Thanks
Originally Posted by jeanie
Maybe it is a new policy. However, after this year I don't think it would matter because they aren't going to factor in lifetime points for lifetime status anymore.
But it does matter for folks who are trying to grandfather into LT status under legacy Marriott rules this year.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 4:10 pm

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I would be disappointed as well. I do fully expect that, moving forward, they will adopt a set of rules that exclude gifted years (as SPG did) and certain other years. I also expect that this will be in the fine print, as SPG kept it in the fine print. We will see in a week.

From the draft T&Cs that are circulating in other threads:
An “Eligible Status Year” is a calendar year during which a Member obtained Elite membership status (Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite) by achieving the Silver Elite, Gold Elite, Platinum Elite or Platinum Premier Elite Minimum Requirement during such Eligible Status Year.
Note that this specifically states that you must meet the minimum requirements (defined previously in the T&Cs). I would say that this means they will exclude gifted years in the future, assuming that the links are to the real T&Cs

Last edited by tods27; Aug 13, 2018 at 4:44 pm
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by tods27
Note that this specifically states that you must meet the minimum requirements (defined previously in the T&Cs). I would say that this means they will exclude gifted years in the future, assuming that the links are to the real T&Cs
Since this is apparently a legacy SPG requirement, it might seem logical that it will also be applied retroactively to MR from a fairness perspective. Not sure what that would mean for me, personally, as I dont meticulously track such details. I can say, though, that thereve been plenty of years where I wouldve qualified at the 50-night level many times over!

For whatever its worth, I did reach out to my SPG ambassador and suggested that I might have questions about my account status going forward...he in turn suggested that I contact him on Monday the 20th or later!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Less than a week to go.

Cannot wait to get this over with. On FlyerTalk, mostly.
GregWTravels and getagb like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

that would net me 9 years 11 months 3 weeks
Months and weeks and days don't matter!

There's no rounding up or down.

All that matters is in how many calendar years you earned MR Gold, MR Platinum, or SPG Platinum, through elite nights or (at SPG) stays (not through linking Marriott<->SPG status, and not through credit cards that gave you that status outright).

If you earned Gold or Plat in 2011, for example, it doesn't matter in which month you earned it. If you didn't earn Gold or Plat in 2011, it doesn't matter if you were Gold or Plat in 2011 due to earning it in 2010, or due solely to some credit card you held, that wouldn't count for 2011. Etc.

So that's why there's no months or weeks or days about it. It's no good to simply look at the first time you got Gold/Plat and count from there, unless you're absolutely positive that you requalified for that status ever single year after that. If you aren't absolutely sure of that, you have to figure out which years you earned MR Gold, which calendar years you earned MR Plat, and which calendar years you earned SPG Plat (through SPG stays/nights).

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 13, 2018 at 6:52 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.