Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Aug 9, 2018, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by ahbitheman
Does the following still work to help add to Marriott LT points?
- Transfer SPG points to spouse's account (doesn't seem to be a limit of 30k as long as at same address for 30 says) - 50K SPG
- Transfer the lump sum of SPG points from spouses account into spouses Marriott account (50K SPG + 39K SPG = 267K marriott points)
- Transfer lump sum of marriott points in your account (50k limit but can be higher if booking an award)
- Transfer in 103K chase points into primary marriott account
- Book travel package for 330k marriott points

End result: Additional 330k in LT marriott points and a travel package with miles
Please report back if Marriott can transfer 50k+ points for you. Have been trying to transfer points for the last couple of weeks, but they keep telling us their points transfer system is down and might not be back up until after 8/18.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:14 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by bradcc
Please report back if Marriott can transfer 50k+ points for you. Have been trying to transfer points for the last couple of weeks, but they keep telling us their points transfer system is down and might not be back up until after 8/18.
LOL they are probably trying to prevent exactly this situation from happening....

I would HUACA again and again until someone can help with that... I'm sure there is a way to get it done... or have their IT manually push the #'s through.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:23 pm
Original Member

Programs: AAMM & PLT; UA Gold, DL Silver, Marriott LT Titanium Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz #1 Gold Club
Worked for me today. Less than 5 mins on phone to transfer points into my account and then have a 5 night package award issued (TS owner).
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
it has been hit and miss recently. HUCA and bring a lot of time. They can still transfer points.
Old Aug 12, 2018, 6:32 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Any thoughts as to why Marriott would regard the counting of Plat years as “proprietary” (as indicated by SPG Insider)? I wish I was one to bother keeping old cards stashed away, but alas I am not. The nice lady I recently spoke with at MR indicated I had been Gold (new Plat) or above for at least the past 10 years, but I know for a fact that at least one or two of those were soft landing type of years (I am given to sabbaticals from time to time). It almost seems as though they themselves aren’t exactly certain where the chips may fall come the 18th...

(I have 750+ nights, but nowhere near enough uncombined points in MR.)
Old Aug 12, 2018, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Any thoughts as to why Marriott would regard the counting of Plat years as “proprietary” (as indicated by SPG Insider)? I wish I was one to bother keeping old cards stashed away, but alas I am not. The nice lady I recently spoke with at MR indicated I had been Gold (new Plat) or above for at least the past 10 years, but I know for a fact that at least one or two of those were soft landing type of years (I am given to sabbaticals from time to time). It almost seems as though they themselves aren’t exactly certain where the chips may fall come the 18th...

(I have 750+ nights, but nowhere near enough uncombined points in MR.)
The leaked T&Cs essentially seem to say, in one section, that if they make a mistake that grants out lifetime status, and later they figure out their error, they can revoke your lifetime status:

8.4 Correction of Benefits.
At any time and in the Company’s sole discretion (including, without limitation, where a Member was not eligible to earn a specific benefit pursuant to these Program Rules), the Company may correct (i) the amount of Points or the number of Qualifying Nights credited to a Member’s Account, and (ii) any other benefit that has been credited to a Member’s Account, including, without limitation, any Elite Membership Status or Lifetime Elite Membership Status.

Which seems to be saying that if they make a mistake in counting years in your favor, and then realize that mistake, they can take away any lifetime status that was given based on erroneous counts of years?

Of course, we have to wait until after August 18 to see if there are any more erroneous counts of years displayed after that. It could be that the current count is simply what counts for current SPG-only "legacy" rules, and after August 18 they'll show a count that counts towards merged program rules and that count will be different (smaller, by not counting un-earned years and not counting linked years)..

My motto here: Maybe trust, but certainly verify (after August 18).
Old Aug 12, 2018, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The leaked T&Cs essentially seem to say, in one section, that if they make a mistake that grants out lifetime status, and later they figure out their error, they can revoke your lifetime status:

8.4 Correction of Benefits.
At any time and in the Company’s sole discretion (including, without limitation, where a Member was not eligible to earn a specific benefit pursuant to these Program Rules), the Company may correct (i) the amount of Points or the number of Qualifying Nights credited to a Member’s Account, and (ii) any other benefit that has been credited to a Member’s Account, including, without limitation, any Elite Membership Status or Lifetime Elite Membership Status.
Fascinating. They seem to be expecting to completely botch this integration right out of the gate (it is a pretty tall order, to be completely fair). I honestly have no idea what to expect at this point. I have at least an earned Plat year w/ SPG along side of an earned Plat year w/ MR in 2017. I believe there were other earned MR Gold or above years going back even further than 2008, which I think is as far as the rep looked back (once she herself was satisfied that I would be LTPP, that was pretty much the end of it). 2018 will be a combined Plat year at the very least.

I’m just annoyed by the whole proprietary notion - by now they have to have an idea of at least how they intend to mete out credit, so why not clarify that for long-standing loyal members? Arg.
Markie and sdsearch like this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:21 am

**Note to anyone transferring points to hit LT levels
I've documented my experience the past few weeks and the issue finally resolved itself.
  • I hit the LTP nights, but I was a few hundred points short
  • I transferred 1,000 Chase points to MR to cross the threshold
  • But I remained gold since the transfer after failed attempts to contact MR
  • I had a MR stay within the past couple of days that posted to my account
  • The system automatically upgraded me to LTP.
So despite transferring points, the automatic process was not triggered until an actual stay.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 6:30 am

I’m just annoyed by the whole proprietary notion - by now they have to have an idea of at least how they intend to mete out credit, so why not clarify that for long-standing loyal members? Arg.
It is annoying. I'd be shocked if I was the only one who will have either 9 or 10 Marriott gold/platinum elite years, depending on whether they count years of elite the legacy SPG way/apparently new way going forward or how legacy Marriott treated years (even without explicitly counting them). If I am deemed to have 9 when I combine accounts, are they really not going to tell me which years those 9 were? There will be mistakes made in both directions; how do members get mistakes corrected without information? I don't see how they can just say "yes" or "no" without explanation and not suffer some backlash.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold

Fascinating. They seem to be expecting to completely botch this integration right out of the gate (it is a pretty tall order, to be completely fair).
I think they expect to have a very successful integration, but realize that they might "completely botch" a handful of accounts due to all the historical programs and changes to those programs. They're reserving the right to make corrections to those accounts. I don't see anything wrong with that. If they were reserving the right to change the integration rules after the integration, I'd have an issue with that.

I don't expect they'll botch my account at all. Long time Marriott Gold/Platinum with a smaller amount of data at SPG to be combined. Never been status matched (except to SPG) or anything like that. I expect to be LT Gold, followed quickly by LT Plat (as I'm still a few nights short under the new program). Granted, I'm a straight-forward account, but so are the majority, and I expect they get those right. If not, they should delay, or all hell will break loose.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP

Fascinating. They seem to be expecting to completely botch this integration right out of the gate (it is a pretty tall order, to be completely fair). I honestly have no idea what to expect at this point. I have at least an earned Plat year w/ SPG along side of an earned Plat year w/ MR in 2017. I believe there were other earned MR Gold or above years going back even further than 2008, which I think is as far as the rep looked back (once she herself was satisfied that I would be LTPP, that was pretty much the end of it). 2018 will be a combined Plat year at the very least.

Yes, it's a big project. I suspect they have learned from previous such IT changes not everything works as they expect and rightly so reserve the right to roll things back to what they should be. So UNLESS there is a strong reason to do so, I suggest holding off jumping into the deep end too quickly and leave your accounts separated to see how it goes. If the transfer of our SPG data does not go well, it will easier to fix just that than sort out MR and SPG data. Again, if there is no compelling reason to merge, then don't. If managing two accounts in the same website to too much to handle, or if your status jump is significant and you have stays coming up in the near future, then merging may be the right thing to do. I do spout caution, especially when it doesn't cost anything.

And yes, I get annoyed when the term "proprietary" is thrown out there. I don't know if it's synonymous with "I don't know and don't want to look it up" (kinda like FAs saying it's for security purposes), of if it's a situation where the information will lead you believe the numbers are manufactured (kinda like AOL counting individual accounts as being separate users, I have three AOL accounts).
CCIE_Flyer likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:22 am

Ok, I just learned about all the changed and am trying to get up to speed. I'm trying to figure out if I can make a Lifetime Platinum push or not.

Marriott:
If 6 years 11 months 3 weeks as platinum.
632 Nights
1.427 million points.

Starwood:
1 Year platinum.

I spoke to a rep that said since I was literally one week away from 7 years of platinum at marriott, they'd round that up for me. That puts me at 8 years.

If I want to get lifetime platinum, what would be my best option???

1) If the rep is right, I have 8 years combined right now. Should I try to push to get platinum in both Marriott and SPG this year? That would give me ten combined years. And if so, I have gold on SPG right now due to credit card. Am I correct that it wouldn't help me, and I'd still need 50 nights at SPG? Is there any better way to churn Platinum quickly, like the meetings at Marriott?

2) The other option is to get to 1.6million in points for lifetime gold, which will convert to lifetime platinum under the new program, correcT? IF that's true, when when does that need to be completed by? And would would be the best /most effective way to gain the 140K in points that I would need??

WOuld greatly appreciate any advice. Trying to figure this out very quickly!!
Old Aug 13, 2018, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by teach42
Ok, I just learned about all the changed and am trying to get up to speed. I'm trying to figure out if I can make a Lifetime Platinum push or not.

Marriott:
If 6 years 11 months 3 weeks as platinum.
632 Nights
1.427 million points.

Starwood:
1 Year platinum.

I spoke to a rep that said since I was literally one week away from 7 years of platinum at marriott, they'd round that up for me. That puts me at 8 years.

If I want to get lifetime platinum, what would be my best option???

1) If the rep is right, I have 8 years combined right now. Should I try to push to get platinum in both Marriott and SPG this year? That would give me ten combined years. And if so, I have gold on SPG right now due to credit card. Am I correct that it wouldn't help me, and I'd still need 50 nights at SPG? Is there any better way to churn Platinum quickly, like the meetings at Marriott?

2) The other option is to get to 1.6million in points for lifetime gold, which will convert to lifetime platinum under the new program, correcT? IF that's true, when when does that need to be completed by? And would would be the best /most effective way to gain the 140K in points that I would need??

WOuld greatly appreciate any advice. Trying to figure this out very quickly!!
First question is: Do you have any years as MR Gold on your account, as those will also be included in the count.

Second, are any of your SPG Plat years due to status match from MR? Those would not count.

Third, what is your night count in MR and SPG separately for this year? If you cross 75 with MR properties (earning Plat again) or 50 with SPG (or 25 stays) then each of those should count as a year. 2018 is the last year double counting will work.

Lastly, you have the nights, so whenever you hit the 10 years, you should be LTP with it kicking in AFTER your status would have dropped to Gold. So if your expected travels will keep you at Plat as it is, there's no push for getting LTP now.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:26 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by teach42
Just wanted to check your math to make sure all the "years" add up correctly. If the agent told you that you are "one week from 7 years Plat", I'm assuming that the "8 years" then includes your getting Marriott Plat this year. So that means you can still get SPG Plat before the end of the year to get to 9 years Plat not 10. So not sure you can get 10 years Plat by the end of this year (unless I'm misunderstanding something, like you already have one year of SPG Plat from a previous year, etc.)
Old Aug 13, 2018, 10:16 am

Yes, I had one year of platinum SPG previously. Other than that, your math is correct. So IF I hit Marriott Platnium this year and hit SPG Platinum, that would net me 9 years 11 months 3 weeks. Makes me nervous whether they would roll that up or not.

I'm about to jump on the phone with Marriott again (bracing myself for 30 minutes of hold time) to ask about Gold status. I"m positive I've been gold several other years.

So is the correct math (# of years MR Gold) + (# of years MR Plat) + (# of years SPG Plat) = 10 or more to hit new Lifetime Platinum?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.