Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:02 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by bosman
And, if I'm reading these with a microscope on the B8 question, it appears that the website has similar, but critically different, info.

From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August

From https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

Note that one references the "new combined program" whereas the other one doesn't.
I think the question regarding the first excerpt is if the sentence about "combining of Lifetime activity" is also referring to the previous sentence about Legacy requirements and not just the newly definited qualification for LTPP through 750 nights/10 years. I would still lean towards that answer being it's not. Partly because it's been stated that points can not be combined in order to qualify under the legacy requirements. But wouldn't points still be considered "activity"?

Originally Posted by rny321
Looking only at Marriott's website, there is the same ambiguity about the ability to qualify using combined nights and years of status. I might have missed it, but I don't believe there is additional public confirmation by anyone from Marriott or Starwood, except the Starwood Lurker, that confirmed that nights can be combined for LTPP status. I don't count bloggers comments as they don't represent Marriott and they sometimes get things wrong. Although I am not questioning the ability of members of both programs to utilize combined years and status, I wish the language used by Marriott was more precise.
I would disagree that it's ambiguous on Members.Marriott.com about being able to combine nights and years of status
Old Jun 28, 2018, 11:37 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I think the question regarding the first excerpt is if the sentence about "combining of Lifetime activity" is also referring to the previous sentence about Legacy requirements and not just the newly definited qualification for LTPP through 750 nights/10 years. I would still lean towards that answer being it's not. Partly because it's been stated that points can not be combined in order to qualify under the legacy requirements. But wouldn't points still be considered "activity"?

I would disagree that it's ambiguous on Members.Marriott.com about being able to combine nights and years of status
I might have missed it, but I don't believe Marriott's site defines "activity." Although William has stated that points cannot be combined due to SPG limitations, there is no similar statement on Marriott's website or in any official channel that I am aware of.

The same language applies to either method of combining nights. It can't be unambiguous for one purpose and ambiguous for another in the same paragraph. The legacy criteria for qualifying for LTPP was defined before this language was added. If combined nights only counted when combined with years of status, there should have been no mention of the legacy program in the sentence immediately preceding the one about combined activity.

"NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August."

Any reference to the new program might be referring to the 2019 method of qualifying or it could simply be referring to one of more new status levels like LTPP. Although I believe it is the latter, the language in this section doesn't confirm my opinion.

"If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program."

William's language was approved by the loyalty department. It is incredibly unlikely that the answer begins with "Yes," when the company meant to convey something else. Even without the yes, the sentence following the description of the legacy qualifications, states that lifetime nights can be combined. Seriously, if you believe Marriott botched this answer, why would you trust the other answers in the Wiki from the same source that aren't confirmed elsewhere?

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?
Yes.This is confirmed at marriott.members.com under the Benefits and Lifetime tab where it specifically states, “You can also qualify for Lifetime status via the existing criteria for Rewards and SPG through December 31, 2018.” Existing legacy criteria for earning Lifetime Platinum Premier in MR/RCR is 750 Lifetime nights + 2MM Lifetime points. Also, in August, when members combine Rewards and SPG accounts, their lifetime nights across both programs count toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program. To be included in at previous thresholds for Rewards or SPG, members will have until December 31, 2018, to complete stays in order to achieve the Lifetime Elite status. <added by Starwood Lurker 20Jun18 >

William seemed surprised and frustrated that people still consider the question inadequately answered. Here is his response to my question if we could summarize his answer as "Yes."

"The answer I posted to B8 contained a "Yes" at the beginning, so I'm struggling to understand why it wouldn't."

Last edited by rny321; Jun 28, 2018 at 1:44 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:43 pm

I might have missed it, but I don't believe Marriott's site defines "activity." Although William has stated that points cannot be combined due to SPG limitations, there is no similar statement on Marriott's website or in any official channel that I am aware of.

The same language applies to either method of combining nights. It can't be unambiguous for one purpose and ambiguous for another in the same paragraph. The legacy criteria for qualifying for LTPP was defined before this language was added. If combined nights only counted when combined with years of status, there should have been no mention of the legacy program in the sentence immediately preceding the one about combined activity.

"NOTE: Members that reach 750 nights and 10 years at Platinum by December 31, 2018 will be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status (notified January 2019). In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August."

Any reference to the new program might be referring to the 2019 method of qualifying or it could simply be referring to one of more new status levels like LTPP. Although I believe it is the latter, the language in this section doesn't confirm my opinion.

"If you’ve previously achieved Lifetime Elite status in Rewards or SPG, you will have that Lifetime Elite status in the new program. In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program."

William's language was approved by the loyalty department. It is incredibly unlikely that the answer begins with "Yes," when the company meant to convey something else. Even without the yes, the sentence following the description of the legacy qualifications, states that lifetime nights can be combined. Seriously, if you believe Marriott botched this answer, why would you trust the other answers in the Wiki from the same source that aren't confirmed elsewhere?

"B8. Do Marriott members with 2MM uncombined lifetime MR points and with 750 combined lifetime MR nights and lifetime SPG nights qualify for LTPP?

William seemed surprised and frustrated that people still consider the question inadequately answered. Here is his response to my question if we could summarize his answer as "Yes."

"The answer I posted to B8 contained a "Yes" at the beginning, so I'm struggling to understand why it wouldn't."
It's not ambiguous for one purpose because nights and years is the new metric for all LT statuses moving forward, including LTPP. It is clearly stated that MR and SPG nights and years will be combined in the new program to determine LT status.

It is ambiguous for another purpose because I don't believe there is any specific reference at all to points when it comes to Lifetime status on the members.marriott.com page, only a vague mention of "the legacy criteria."

A few posts above when Starwood Lurker posted that answer, he made this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29883733-post1680.html where he wasn't even sure what the Legacy requirements were, so it's tough to take his word as gospel regarding a question about that specific topic. He also made several comments telling MR members to "just call customer service" to find out what you need for LT status, even though there have been several posts here of people trying to do just that and getting multiple different answers.

Starwood Lurker seems awesome and hopefully he sticks around (and/or MR adds more of a presence here), but understandably so he doesn't seem to be as much of an expert on MR yet as he does on SPG.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 1:50 pm

It's not ambiguous for one purpose because nights and years is the new metric for all LT statuses moving forward, including LTPP. It is clearly stated that MR and SPG nights and years will be combined in the new program to determine LT status.

It is ambiguous for another purpose because I don't believe there is any specific reference at all to points when it comes to Lifetime status on the members.marriott.com page, only a vague mention of "the legacy criteria."

A few posts above when Starwood Lurker posted that answer, he made this post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29883733-post1680.html where he wasn't even sure what the Legacy requirements were, so it's tough to take his word as gospel regarding a question about that specific topic. He also made several comments telling MR members to "just call customer service" to find out what you need for LT status, even though there have been several posts here of people trying to do just that and getting multiple different answers.

Starwood Lurker seems awesome and hopefully he sticks around (and/or MR adds more of a presence here), but understandably so he doesn't seem to be as much of an expert on MR yet as he does on SPG.
Although nights and years on status will be the sole criteria next year when LTPP is no longer an option, that doesn't affect the current rules for qualifying for LTPP which includes points as one of the criteria. Why would Marriott need to restate the legacy qualifications which have been in place for years? Whether or not William knew the legacy qualifications the day before he posted the answer to B8, he accurately described the legacy criteria in his company approved answer. His answer stated that nights can be combined to qualify for LTPP.

I believe you are referring to William's suggestion that MR members call to find out the number of years of elite status. I am glad he waits until he has approval before providing an answer instead of giving his own interpretation. Because MR never tracked status and I have a couple of comped years, I don't know how many years of status at each level MR credits to my account.

If it isn't against FT rules, are you willing to make a modest wager with the proceeds going to a predetermined charity based on your beliefs? My choice would be the Robin Hood Foundation which gives 100 percent of every donation (founders subsidize fees) directly to programs helping poor New Yorkers, but I am open to suggestions.

Last edited by rny321; Jun 28, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:34 pm

Although nights and years on status will be the sole criteria next year when LTPP is no longer an option, that doesn't affect the current rules for qualifying for LTPP which includes points as one of the criteria. Why would Marriott need to restate the legacy qualifications which have been in place for years? Whether or not William knew the legacy qualifications the day before he posted the answer to B8, he accurately described the legacy criteria in his company approved answer. His answer stated that nights can be combined to qualify for LTPP.

Are you willing to make a modest wager with the proceeds going to a predetermined charity based on your beliefs?
Nights and points are NOT a criteria for LTPP. They are a criteria for MR LTP, which converts to LTPP. That is basically the whole point of contention -- most everything else other than Starwood Lurker's post seems to suggest that those hoping to qualify via the MR LTP method of 750 nights and 2 MM need to do so with Marriott nights only. If you are combining nights to achieve MR LTP, then there is a strong argument that you should be able to combine points as well - at least one's current balance if SPG didn't track LT points.

Not really, I'm not saying those with 2MM MR points and 750 combined nights definitely won't get LTPP, but I would lean that way. Heck, I'm not sure if there'd even be a surefire way to tell unless there were multiple people in that situation here (and were sure that they would not have qualified otherwise) that could confirm. It seems there are several people such as yourself that have gotten assurances from various CSR's, so who knows, maybe they'll even grant some one-off LTPP status.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:53 pm

Nights and points are NOT a criteria for LTPP. They are a criteria for MR LTP, which converts to LTPP. That is basically the whole point of contention -- most everything else other than Starwood Lurker's post seems to suggest that those hoping to qualify via the MR LTP method of 750 nights and 2 MM need to do so with Marriott nights only. If you are combining nights to achieve MR LTP, then there is a strong argument that you should be able to combine points as well - at least one's current balance if SPG didn't track LT points.

Not really, I'm not saying those with 2MM MR points and 750 combined nights definitely won't get LTPP, but I would lean that way. Heck, I'm not sure if there'd even be a surefire way to tell unless there were multiple people in that situation here (and were sure that they would not have qualified otherwise) that could confirm. It seems there are several people such as yourself that have gotten assurances from various CSR's, so who knows, maybe they'll even grant some one-off LTPP status.
I have been referring to qualifying for LTPP rather than LTP, which will become LTPP, in order to avoid confusion, because next year's LTP is this year's LTG. You were quite clear that you believed that you believed that it is more likely that my interpretation is wrong, but are not certain about the answer. Although I have other assurances that MR intention was to combine nights for someone with 2MM MR to qualify for what will become LTPP, I value William's response more than that of others.

As I stated elsewhere, I have over 2MM points and will have over 750 combined nights, but will miss if only MR nights count. Although I could book several meetings to remove any doubt, I considered the cost of doing so compared to the degree of uncertainty about the possibility that I will qualify combined nights and decided to wait and see.

Although I disagree with you on the probabilities, I appreciate your comments.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 2:56 pm

I have been referring to qualifying for LTPP rather than LTP which will become LTPP in order to avoid confusion, because next year's LTP is this year's LTG. You were quite clear that you believed that you believed that it is more likely that my interpretation is wrong, but are not certain about the answer. Although I have other assurances that MR intention was to combine nights for someone with 2MM MR to qualify for what will become LTPP, I value William's response more than that of others.

As I stated elsewhere, I have over 2MM points and will have over 750 combined nights, but will miss if only MR nights count. Although I could book several meetings to remove any doubt, I considered the cost of doing so compared to the degree of uncertainty about the possibility that I will qualify combined nights and decided to wait and see.

Although I disagree with you on the probabilities, I appreciate your comments.
Didn't you say you weren't sure how many years you had? Are you sure it's less tan 10 (counting MR Gold years, etc.)?
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:04 pm

Didn't you say you weren't sure how many years you had? Are you sure it's less tan 10 (counting MR Gold years, etc.)?
I am not certain. Although I tried asking Marriott, I got different answers. I am close if comped years count, but will miss if not. I have requalified for Platinum based on an unpublished rule where combined nights over the last 3 years can be used to maintain status, which resulted in me keeping Platinum with more than 45 nights but less than the 50 nights normally needed for Gold.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 3:21 pm

Although I tried asking Marriott, I got different answers.
Starwood Lurker would be shocked about this :-)
rny321 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman
And, if I'm reading these with a microscope on the B8 question, it appears that the website has similar, but critically different, info.

From https://members.marriott.com/benefits/
In addition, members that achieve Marriott Rewards Lifetime Platinum under the legacy requirements by year end will also be grandfathered into Lifetime Platinum Premier Elite status. And, don’t forget that we’ll combine Lifetime activity across both Rewards and SPG toward qualification when members combine accounts in August

From https://members.marriott.com/marriottrewards/
In addition, when you combine Rewards and SPG accounts, we will combine your lifetime activity across both toward Lifetime Elite status in the new combined program.

Note that one references the "new combined program" whereas the other one doesn't.
The second sentence of the first one is written very sloppily, just saying "toward qualification", not explain what kind of qualification. So IMHO it's a useless sentence.

O(TOH, the first sentence of the first one is also a bit murky, because it doesn't spell out exactly what the "legacy requirements' will be come August, nor whether or not you'll be able to meet those legacy requirements if you choose to combine accounts first.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 5:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by sdsearch
The second sentence of the first one is written very sloppily, just saying "toward qualification", not explain what kind of qualification. So IMHO it's a useless sentence.

O(TOH, the first sentence of the first one is also a bit murky, because it doesn't spell out exactly what the "legacy requirements' will be come August, nor whether or not you'll be able to meet those legacy requirements if you choose to combine accounts first.
This is what I call Marriott's Wiggle Words. Instead of being very specific in their releases they leave a lot of room for interpretation. This is why CSRs are able to deny benefits by twisting those words or flat out read them wrong.

I too am very apprehensive about exactly what the merging of accounts will trigger. If there wasn't something hiding there why would we be asked to do the merge? Gotta keep reading the releases and make sure they are official notices and not FT/blogger speculation.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:12 am

Where does all that fuss come from?

To qualify for LTPP and if you are not MR LTP already you need:
750 MR nights and 2MM MR points to qualify, as this will make you MR LTP which will convert to LTPP. You will have until 12/31/2018 to accumulate nights and points.
If you are from the Starwood side, you'll need to fulfill the Starwood LTP criteria + an additional 250 Starwood nights (giving you 750 nights in total). You will have until 12/31/2018 to accumulate nights and elite tenure.
If you combine your legacy in both programs, you'll need 750 total MR and Starwood nights + at least 10 years of elite level tenure for the elite level that was awarded for 50+ nights in each program. You will have until 12/31/2018 to accumulate nights and elite tenure. How tenure will be added up remains a mystery until now. It is easy for those who have 10 full years that they have qualified for. It becomes harder (impossible) to determine for those who have not enough "full" years but could qualify if parts of years would count, if years of mutual recognition with other loyalty programs would count, if... I agree that this is the part where Marriott could do a much better job. Letting members know in August or January 2019 may be too late...
Old Jun 29, 2018, 6:44 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by RogerD408
If there wasn't something hiding there why would we be asked to do the merge?
They want permission before they move points from one account into another account and close the one account. You did not grant that permission when you linked accounts. They are not just going to move and close accounts without permission leaving people to figure out what has happened. Invariably some of those moves would be wrong and nightmares to untangle. Having the customer proactively take steps to complete the merger allows the customer to drive the process, see any changes as they are happening and know exactly where points have gone instead of having tens of thousands of people calling in one day asking what happened to their account.

Sorry, but it is quite the jump to assume a sinister motive on this. One could just as easily claim if the process were being done automatically that they were trying to keep us from seeing and understanding what happens when we merge accounts.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CJKatl

Sorry, but it is quite the jump to assume a sinister motive on this. One could just as easily claim if the process were being done automatically that they were trying to keep us from seeing and understanding what happens when we merge accounts.
+1
It seems to me that after a short period of some unanswered questions, Marriott has actually been fairly transparent about the whole process. While there may still be some lingering questions and confusion, it's hard to believe there are sinister motives behind it...more likely just some things they didn't think about and are now trying to work out. It just feels to much different than the last one of these I lived through (UA and CO) which definitely DID have sinister motives.
Old Jun 29, 2018, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by CJKatl
They want permission before they move points from one account into another account and close the one account. You did not grant that permission when you linked accounts. They are not just going to move and close accounts without permission leaving people to figure out what has happened. Invariably some of those moves would be wrong and nightmares to untangle. Having the customer proactively take steps to complete the merger allows the customer to drive the process, see any changes as they are happening and know exactly where points have gone instead of having tens of thousands of people calling in one day asking what happened to their account.

I don't buy this at all.

I've been through air/hotel mergers before, and I don't remember ever having to grant permission to merge accounts, Certainly not in the sense that denying permission or just ignoring it was a viable alternative. You're correct that they can minimize IT and customer service headaches if they get positive confirmation in advance that the accounts holders actually match, but that's exactly what the account linking did.

Once we've linked accounts, they shouldn't need additional permission. The customer has confirmed the accounts match, so there should be no errors introduced by the merge process. An exception would be if there were some benefit to delaying the merge, for example if they decided that once you merge, you can no longer qualify for lifetime status in the legacy programs, but there's not yet been any indication that this will be the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.