Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by LF72
With the new announcements, this certainly changes things.
I'm assuming you mean the announcement that there will be no combining of the programs in 2018?
Old Nov 29, 2017, 6:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jjmoore
Originally Posted by LF72
With the new announcements, this certainly changes things.
I'm assuming you mean the announcement that there will be no combining of the programs in 2018?
No, I'm sure they meant this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...r-changes.html

Rollover night changes obviously impact earning lifetime nights for most people.
LF72 likes this.
Old Nov 29, 2017, 10:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by sdsearch
No, I'm sure they meant this:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...r-changes.html

Rollover night changes obviously impact earning lifetime nights for most people.
Yes... I heard this too, and am happy with this. I honestly wish MR would go back and calculate the actual amount of nights that each member has stayed and update to that number (with one caveat - not taking away lifetime status from anyone who has already achieved it by the old system). I would like to know how many nights I have actually stayed. I'm sure my lifetime nights is 30% greater than the actual nights I have stayed because of the massive rollovers I have seen over the last few years.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:02 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
Question about point transfers and Lifetime status

I am a Lifetime Gold and am seeking to reach Lifetime Platinum in 2018, since it is apparently going to be the last year where I can confidently do that under the current (old) MR rules of 750 nights/2mm points. (I realize that, in some views, there isn't all that much difference between LT Plat and LT Gold, given that the main benefit of both is the lounge access, but I'm guessing that, come merger time, Marriott will make more of a distinction and rewards its top tier of Lifetime status with more significant benefits than the middle tier.)

With rollovers, regular stays and credit card nights, I am very confident I will reach 750 in 2018. However, I have about 270,000 points needed to reach the 2mm point level. In a normal year, I don't think I'd reach that. However, I want to proactively take steps to make sure I do.

Reviewing the different options, it seems like credit card referrals and inbound point transfers are perhaps my best route. However, before I embark on this route, I would love to get confirmation that those points would be credited to my lifetimes totals (to reach 2 million). I know there is an annual limit of 50,000 points someone can transfer to me. I understand that if someone (such as my wife) were to transfer 50,000 points, those 50,000 points would be added to my lifetime points total (thus reducing my points needed from 270k to 220k). Is that right?

And, potentially I could ask multiple different family members or friends to each transfer 50k points and they would each count as well. For example, if I asked 3 separate people to transfer 50k points each to me, I would add 150k points (thus reducing my points needed from 270k to 120k) Is that right?

And, if I make credit card referrals (and people sign up), I'd get 20k points for each (up to 5 total) and those points would also count towards my lifetime count? Correct?

Assuming this is right, I'm thinking if I can successfully refer 3 credit cards (20k x 3 = 60k) and find 3 generous souls to transfer 50k each (50k=150k), for a total of 210k points, I'd be sitting pretty in hitting Platinum Lifetime status in 2018. Any issues with my thinking here?

Many thanks in advance for your help and insights.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by dcchi
And, potentially I could ask multiple different family members or friends to each transfer 50k points and they would each count as well. For example, if I asked 3 separate people to transfer 50k points each to me, I would add 150k points (thus reducing my points needed from 270k to 120k) Is that right?
Just keep in mind those transfers will reduce their LT points. But yes, the limit is 50K between the two accounts per year.
Old Dec 1, 2017, 12:37 pm

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Just keep in mind those transfers will reduce their LT points. But yes, the limit is 50K between the two accounts per year.
Unless you redeem for an award. I had my wife sign up for a Starwood Amex when it had 35k SPG as their bonus; I wasn't eligible since I've had one long ago in the past. I'm planning to wash them through her Marriott account (where they become over 120k when you add on points for actual spend) and then transfer them to my account for an award. In my case I'll actually find an award we can use, but I see no reason you couldn't a) book a reservation that requires an award (Marriott is nice as one of the few programs that lets you do that without having the points in your account) b) call to transfer points to redeem for that award c) after the award has been redeemed, cancel the reservation which should cancel the e-certificate attached to it and return the points.. back to your account, not all the way back to the transferee.

Caveat: I've not done step c-- again, I'm sticking with the more safe just use the award. The only other thing I'm doing is purposely draining my own Marriott account to SPG (so basically my account has almost zero points) so I can transfer the most to Marriott. Again this should work because Marriott CSRs don't directly have access to my SPG account, and I am actually redeeming my existing Marriott points to SPG awards (that 3k SPG per weekend night Cat 2 has been my sweet spot for redemptions)
Old Dec 1, 2017, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA plt 2 mm, Marriott LTT, HH dia
I didn't realize 3 different people could each transfer you 50,000 points. If it is possible, you could do it twice before the conversion if your family/friends have enough points. Basically, you could get 3 people to each transfer 50K points before the end of 2017. Then you could do that again in January of 2018. So that would be a total of 300K. If you do try this, please post your results. Thanks.
LF72 likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by pitflyer
Unless you redeem for an award.
Hmmm, I can see them combining points for an award, but did those points add to your LT number as well? If they don't watch this, people would be transferring back and forth generating LT points with no spend.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 9:22 am

Hmmm, I can see them combining points for an award, but did those points add to your LT number as well? If they don't watch this, people would be transferring back and forth generating LT points with no spend.
I think the way it works is that the transfer is not a transfer when its used to redeem an award but rather a redemption. But when you cancel, those points hit your account as LT, not sure why. I can see an account being blacklisted for abuse of something like this. I think it was posted on a blog about booking and canceling an award for points was a big no-no. You're too close to mess around at this point, not worth the risk IMO. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by osugrad2x
I think the way it works is that the transfer is not a transfer when its used to redeem an award but rather a redemption. But when you cancel, those points hit your account as LT, not sure why. I can see an account being blacklisted for abuse of something like this. I think it was posted on a blog about booking and canceling an award for points was a big no-no. You're too close to mess around at this point, not worth the risk IMO. Someone correct me if i'm wrong.
I would think a cancelled award would NOT increase your LT points since they do not decrease them when redeemed. They do reduce the LT points of the sender when transferred to another account, but rightly so increase on the other end. If I read PitFlyer's post correctly, when combining points for a specific award, his wife's LT points did not decrease, but did not state if his increased. They may have a way to transfer points without hitting LT points.
Old Dec 2, 2017, 7:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I'm getting confused here. Can someone who has gone through actually transferring points from one account to another and who tracked LT point levels please chime in? When you transfer, does the transferred points total add to the lifetime points level for the account of the member that received the points (and lower the lifetime points level for the member that sent the points)?

Many thanks.
Old Dec 3, 2017, 5:42 am

I'm getting confused here. Can someone who has gone through actually transferring points from one account to another and who tracked LT point levels please chime in? When you transfer, does the transferred points total add to the lifetime points level for the account of the member that received the points (and lower the lifetime points level for the member that sent the points)?

Many thanks.
Yes that is correct.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: AA EXP/2MM/AC; UA Silver; AS; DL; Marriott LTT; National Car Elite
Originally Posted by jeanie
I didn't realize 3 different people could each transfer you 50,000 points. If it is possible, you could do it twice before the conversion if your family/friends have enough points. Basically, you could get 3 people to each transfer 50K points before the end of 2017. Then you could do that again in January of 2018. So that would be a total of 300K. If you do try this, please post your results. Thanks.
Can someone please confirm that "year" is calendar year? So someone could transfer up to 50K points in December 2017, and then up to 50K points in January 2018?

And can the original recipient then transfer 50K points back to the original donor later in 2018, after the recipient accumulates the required LT target + 50K?
Old Dec 4, 2017, 7:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by MsEverywhere
Can someone please confirm that "year" is calendar year? So someone could transfer up to 50K points in December 2017, and then up to 50K points in January 2018?

And can the original recipient then transfer 50K points back to the original donor later in 2018, after the recipient accumulates the required LT target + 50K?
confirmed
confirmed
CJKatl and Michilander like this.
Old Dec 4, 2017, 8:45 am

Programs: Whoever Has the Best Bonus
I would think a cancelled award would NOT increase your LT points since they do not decrease them when redeemed. They do reduce the LT points of the sender when transferred to another account, but rightly so increase on the other end. If I read PitFlyer's post correctly, when combining points for a specific award, his wife's LT points did not decrease, but did not state if his increased. They may have a way to transfer points without hitting LT points.
I haven't done it myself yet, I'm still saving up for the award. However, several others (including imverge above) confirmed that when you redeem with transferred points YOUR lifetime balance goes up, and the other person's lifetime balance goes DOWN. I don't know if anyone has cancelled after redeeming an award from multiple accounts, but my assumption is it would all go back into the account of the person who redeemed the award, not the original donor account. Again, YMMV. Since Starpoints transfers can be done completely online, the possibility of LT points going up is the only reason I plan to transfer the points as Marriott points, not SPG points. Otherwise a lot easier with SPG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.