Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by ackpfft
Could also get the Marriott Business CC and its 15 nights if you don't have that already.
Pretty sure Chase isn't going to issue me the business card, when I got the Chase Freedom in 2015 they issued it with a $500 token limit (and I had to reallocate credit from my UA and Marriott consumer cards). Plus I don't run my own business (not sure if that matters).

Originally Posted by ackpfft
i used to spend $100 at CYs (then they raised price) Last year or 2 I did it (2014) at Fairfield and it was much cheaper to negotiate directly with hotel.
Its lobby area was under renovation and didn't even have an active conference room so we
did 3 @ $75 a pop and we all were happy.
Yeah, the local CY is $200/night, hoping to get a cheaper room by just getting on an off day at an off time of year.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Marriott has changed how they compute lifetime status several times in past years, even without an "merger" excuse. So why expect them not to change it even a little bit when the merger is completed?
The last time Marriott lowered the points and nights requirement and eliminated the requirement for ten years' membership. I hadn't even been thinking about LTP and suddenly was, IIRC, less than 1k points and maybe 5 nights from qualifying.

My biggest fear is that they will rename the program, increase LT qualification requirements, go to an annual complementary instead of LT status and leave some of us out in the cold who have previously qualified for LT but aren't doing as many stays now.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
I don’t see them revoking lifetime status from anyone who has already earned it. They lowered the requirements earlier to be more competitive with SPG’s program. The marginal cost of having life time platinum and gold members is outweighed by getting them to stay when they are not traveling as much. They benefit when people with lifetime status tell others about it. I still remember an older couple talk about their lifetime platinum status several years ago. The husband had over 2400 paid nights, and this was before credit card nights were common.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA 1KMM, Bonvoy LTE+A, HH D, Nat'l EE, Hertz Plat, Avis PC
Originally Posted by VA1379
I don’t see them revoking lifetime status from anyone who has already earned it.
I agree, but I could easily see the status levels devalued such that platinum isn't what it is today. United did this when they added a platinum level, bumping all their million milers down a peg. If Marriott adds one or two levels above today's platinum (for example, Ambassador for 125+ nights per year, and an unpublished level with vague qualification levels above that), and makes it so platinum members only get lounge access when actually upgraded to the concierge floor (like Hilton gold), they technically wouldn't take lifetime platinum away from anyone but it certainly wouldn't be good for the sporadic traveler who was looking forward to a lifetime of top-tier status after many years of Marriott loyalty in their traveling prime.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:05 am

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
I agree, but I could easily see the status levels devalued such that platinum isn't what it is today. United did this when they added a platinum level, bumping all their million milers down a peg. If Marriott adds one or two levels above today's platinum (for example, Ambassador for 125+ nights per year, and an unpublished level with vague qualification levels above that), and makes it so platinum members only get lounge access when actually upgraded to the concierge floor (like Hilton gold), they technically wouldn't take lifetime platinum away from anyone but it certainly wouldn't be good for the sporadic traveler who was looking forward to a lifetime of top-tier status after many years of Marriott loyalty in their traveling prime.
I can't imagine them doing something like that to Platinum which would be a huge devaluation. But Gold on the other hand...
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:28 pm

I know that transferring spg points to Marriott does not count towards lifetime but transferring Marriott points from spouse does count. I also think you can transfer spg points within family members. Hence wondering if this is possible:

Transfer spg points to spouse spg account
Transfer from spouse spg account to spouse marriott account
Transfer from spouse marriott account to my marriott account

Will this work? Any limits?

I am currently at 620 nights and 1.5 million points. If above is possible I can get to 2 million easily. Not sure how to solve the nights problem even though I have more than 200 nights with spg.

Any creative ideas would be appreciated.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:12 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by svasandani
Transfer spg points to spouse spg account
Transfer from spouse spg account to spouse marriott account
Transfer from spouse marriott account to my marriott account

Will this work? Any limits?
Yes, this will work, and it will raise your lifetime MR points total. It will also decrease your spouse's MR lifetime points total. There's a 50,000 points per year limit on such transfers.

However, you can also book a MR reward point hotel room that costs much more than your current MR points balance, then call MR to have MR points from your spouse's account transferred to you specifically to cover the cost of that room award (they can do this if you're short on points). Later when you cancel the room reservation the points will stay on your account and they should add to your lifetime total.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 2:15 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I wonder if all lifetime elites experienced the same discrepancies between the points/nights requirement that I do. Maybe having the Marriott rewards CC helps?

My situation:
I just achieved the number of nights needed for lifetime silver (250) but I'm surprised by the number of points I'm short to reach the same level.
Number of points required is 1.2 million. I only have 300K points....

I usually stay in properties that cost about 100-150$/night so this point balance is normal. To reach the 1.2 million points you would need to spend 480$ a night.

I read some post about somebody having 500K lifetime points after 100 nights. I just don't see how you manage to do that....
Marriott Rewards has no credit cards in Europe, I know that is a great way to earn points but not an option.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:33 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The last time Marriott lowered the points and nights requirement and eliminated the requirement for ten years' membership. I hadn't even been thinking about LTP and suddenly was, IIRC, less than 1k points and maybe 5 nights from qualifying.

My biggest fear is that they will rename the program, increase LT qualification requirements, go to an annual complementary instead of LT status and leave some of us out in the cold who have previously qualified for LT but aren't doing as many stays now.
I would be very disappointed if they changed the rules after we have proven our loyalty for the many years it takes to achieve Platinum Lifetime status. If that were to happen, I would cash out all my points and move on.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:53 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
I wonder if all lifetime elites experienced the same discrepancies between the points/nights requirement that I do. Maybe having the Marriott rewards CC helps?

My situation:
I just achieved the number of nights needed for lifetime silver (250) but I'm surprised by the number of points I'm short to reach the same level.
Number of points required is 1.2 million. I only have 300K points....

I usually stay in properties that cost about 100-150$/night so this point balance is normal. To reach the 1.2 million points you would need to spend 480$ a night.

I read some post about somebody having 500K lifetime points after 100 nights. I just don't see how you manage to do that....
Marriott Rewards has no credit cards in Europe, I know that is a great way to earn points but not an option.
I think that's pretty common. I've been over the nights level for Gold for several years. But only have around 700k points. I may make LT Gold by the end of my lifetime . I've come to the realization that those of us who had to stay in Courtyards for work are never going to get LT status...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Taking advantage of different promos and bonuses really help. I'm at 2.6K points and 740 nights. That would equate to a room rate of about $350/night, and I almost never get close to $200/night let alone $350! I did own a MVC unit and frequently converted it to points if I didn't have a stay coming up that year. Part of being loyal is finding ways to leverage events.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by DJ_Iceman
Originally Posted by GoPhils
I can't imagine them doing something like that to Platinum which would be a huge devaluation. But Gold on the other hand...
If MR were clever they would rename and re-categorize the elite levels for the combined MR and SPG programs. That way e.g. all of the existing "Gold" members from the MR and SPG programs could be re-categorized for both current (ongoing) elite level and lifetime elite level. So the clever MR could create something like these elite levels for the new combined program:

1. Gold - 25 nights per year to qualify.
  • 25% bonus points
  • Upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in (corner room, higher floor, or better view)
  • Lifetime Gold requires 250 nights (historic total of MR and SPG nights) and 1.2 Million points (historic total of MR points plus SPG points at 3:1)

2. Platinum - 50 nights per year to qualify.
  • 50% bonus points
  • At legacy SPG properties an upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite
  • At legacy MR properties an upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in (corner room, higher floor, better view, or suite)
  • Concierge lounge access or full breakfast if no lounge
  • Welcome gift
  • Lifetime Platinum requires 500 nights (historic total of MR and SPG nights) and 1.6 Million points (historic total of MR points plus SPG points at 3:1)

3. Diamond - 75 nights per year to qualify.
  • 75% bonus points
  • At legacy SPG properties an upgrade to best available room at check-in — including a Standard Suite
  • At legacy MR properties an upgrade to an enhanced room at check-in (corner room, higher floor, better view, or suite)
  • Welcome gift
  • Lifetime Diamond requires 750 nights (historic total of MR and SPG nights) and 2 Million points (historic total of MR points plus SPG points at 3:1)

4. Diamond Plus - 100 nights per year to qualify.
  • 100% bonus points
  • Welcome gift
  • Ambassador (or whatever equivalent MR develops)
  • Lifetime Diamond Plus requires 1000 nights (historic total of MR and SPG nights) and 2.4 Million points (historic total of MR points plus SPG points at 3:1)

With this scheme MR would eliminate a lot of the potential howling about previous annual or lifetime elite levels achieved (and about insistence on metal equivalency). They'd simply award renamed elite status levels to the members of the combined programs that roughly provide what they currently receive under the legacy separate annual and lifetime programs.

n.b. there would be other minor benefits associated with each level that I haven't listed for brevity e.g. better internet speed for higher level elites.

Last edited by PHLGovFlyer; Oct 11, 2017 at 8:46 am
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:45 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by RogerD408
Taking advantage of different promos and bonuses really help. I'm at 2.6K points and 740 nights. That would equate to a room rate of about $350/night, and I almost never get close to $200/night let alone $350! I did own a MVC unit and frequently converted it to points if I didn't have a stay coming up that year. Part of being loyal is finding ways to leverage events.
I'm pretty sure I never forgot to subscribe for a promotion but unfortunately my stays often occurred in between promo's. There used to be a gap in between promos somewhere august to september for years and yes, exactly that period did I have 4 or 5 days for several years. Speaking of a bad timing :-)

Another promo I can remember was 2 stays -> 1 free night. (like the current promo) I loved this promo but unfortunately doesn't earn anything extra to lifetime points...

Did manage to earn something like 10K points extra with the last promo. (2K extra for each stay)

But for sure I will keep watching out for the promo's.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:57 am
soy

Programs: various
Originally Posted by PHLGovFlyer
If MR were clever they would rename and re-categorize the elite levels for the combined MR and SPG programs. That way e.g. all of the existing "Gold" members from the MR and SPG programs could be re-categorized for both current (ongoing) elite level and lifetime elite level. So the clever MR could create something like these elite levels for the new combined program:
I thought one of the issues was that SPG do not have records of total lifetime points earned, thus making it hard to come up with a lifetime formula that accounts for spg points
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by JBord
I think that's pretty common. I've been over the nights level for Gold for several years. But only have around 700k points. I may make LT Gold by the end of my lifetime . I've come to the realization that those of us who had to stay in Courtyards for work are never going to get LT status...
I'm exactly the opposite. Next week I'll cross the 2MM point threshold, while my LT night count will be around 540.

Unless MR changes the rules before 1.1.18, or there is a limit to the number of rollover nights one can earn, I will cross the 750 night marker on January 1.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.