Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

    Hide Wikipost
Old Sep 19, 18, 6:12 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.
 
Last edit by: FindAWay
Wiki Link
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.


Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Closed Thread

Old Sep 4, 17, 10:21 am
  #2326  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 418
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
I'd put an * after that 50K as Marriott has allowed some very easy ways to to extend well beyond that "limit".
Is it 50K per calendar year or rolling 12 months? Also, just curious how to transfer more than 50K though I only have 70K to transfer so not much of an impact personally but always good to know.
svasandani is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 10:38 am
  #2327  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: South Florida
Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Posts: 11,290
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Is it 50K per calendar year or rolling 12 months? Also, just curious how to transfer more than 50K though I only have 70K to transfer so not much of an impact personally but always good to know.
hint hint hint pooling points for award stay and then cancel the stay.
RogerD408 is online now  
Old Sep 4, 17, 1:06 pm
  #2328  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 418
Originally Posted by RogerD408 View Post
hint hint hint pooling points for award stay and then cancel the stay.
Thanks.

Now I am wondering what happens if you book an award stay with your free CC anniversary night cert and your wife's anniversary free night cert at a category 5 and then cancel. Will I be able to get 50k points all in my account.
svasandani is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 2:32 pm
  #2329  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,509
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Thanks.

Now I am wondering what happens if you book an award stay with your free CC anniversary night cert and your wife's anniversary free night cert at a category 5 and then cancel. Will I be able to get 50k points all in my account.
no, cert booking return as cert. the discussion above is about points booking and hence it return as points to the account that holding the reservation.

T&C info about the >50K transfer can be found at:

  • go to Marriott web site
  • click the menu (3 lines) at the top left
  • Expand "Marriott Rewards" and select "Marriott Rewards Overview"
  • Scroll to bottom and under "How to Use Points", click the "Buy, Share or Donate Points" link
  • Under 3 diagrams (shopping cart, arrows, heart) click the "Terms and Conditions" link
  • Under the "Transferring Points from One Account to Another" section, read point #1 on when you can transfer > 50K
alc is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:23 pm
  #2330  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 418
Originally Posted by alc View Post
no, cert booking return as cert. the discussion above is about points booking and hence it return as points to the account that holding the reservation.

T&C info about the >50K transfer can be found at:

  • go to Marriott web site
  • click the menu (3 lines) at the top left
  • Expand "Marriott Rewards" and select "Marriott Rewards Overview"
  • Scroll to bottom and under "How to Use Points", click the "Buy, Share or Donate Points" link
  • Under 3 diagrams (shopping cart, arrows, heart) click the "Terms and Conditions" link
  • Under the "Transferring Points from One Account to Another" section, read point #1 on when you can transfer > 50K
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However, I recently experienced something for which I don't have an explanation.

I made a booking of 2 rooms for 2 nights in March at a hotel that was going up from Cat 5 to Cat 6. I used 50K points and 2 free night certs (one from my account and one from my wife's account. I don't exactly remember but I think there were 3 separate reservations. One for each cert usage and 3rd one for 2 nights at 50K. Since I made the booking around midnight on last day i noticed they deducted 60K points. I called customer service about the discrepancy and they gave me a courtesy credit of 10K points.

Unfortunately my plans changed due to a family emergency about 2 weeks before the stay so I had to call and cancel all 4 nights (2 rooms, 2 nights). About a week later I checked my accounts and my balance had gone up by 110K points. Not exactly sure how the credits were processed for nights and certs but everything went to my account. Also, at the time i was not looking into lifetime totals so I don't know what it did to my lifetime points balance.
svasandani is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:40 pm
  #2331  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,509
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However, I recently experienced something for which I don't have an explanation.

I made a booking of 2 rooms for 2 nights in March at a hotel that was going up from Cat 5 to Cat 6. I used 50K points and 2 free night certs (one from my account and one from my wife's account. I don't exactly remember but I think there were 3 separate reservations. One for each cert usage and 3rd one for 2 nights at 50K. Since I made the booking around midnight on last day i noticed they deducted 60K points. I called customer service about the discrepancy and they gave me a courtesy credit of 10K points.

Unfortunately my plans changed due to a family emergency about 2 weeks before the stay so I had to call and cancel all 4 nights (2 rooms, 2 nights). About a week later I checked my accounts and my balance had gone up by 110K points. Not exactly sure how the credits were processed for nights and certs but everything went to my account. Also, at the time i was not looking into lifetime totals so I don't know what it did to my lifetime points balance.
My answer was all under normal situation. When Marriott agent got involved, there are many situation where "strange" things will happen. For example, the info discussed in the Travel Package thread about a 7-night cert will return as 45K instead of back as a cert.

In your situation, the strange part to me will be that your wife cert got return to your account and I believe that is your question as well. And to test it out, all you need to do is make a CAT 5 reward booking at some hotel for some future dates, attached the cert, and then cancel it right afterward. You will notice the cert will just put back to your account.
alc is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 5:51 pm
  #2332  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 10,994
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

However, I recently experienced something for which I don't have an explanation.

I made a booking of 2 rooms for 2 nights in March at a hotel that was going up from Cat 5 to Cat 6. I used 50K points and 2 free night certs (one from my account and one from my wife's account.
Do you and/or your wife's account show any unused certs in your accounts? Also, you state both your accounts had "unused" certs. What type of unused certs did you have? Were they previously ordered award certs or were they from a credit card or other promotional activity?

Originally Posted by alc View Post
For example, the info discussed in the Travel Package thread about a 7-night cert will return as 45K instead of back as a cert.
Note that TP hotel award certs will return to your account as a cert unless you specifically ask the Marriott agent to convert it back to points. And as you noted, the return points will be significantly reduced as Marriott feels most of the TP value is from the airline awards portion of the TP award.
hhoope01 is online now  
Old Sep 4, 17, 6:50 pm
  #2333  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 418
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Do you and/or your wife's account show any unused certs in your accounts? Also, you state both your accounts had "unused" certs. What type of unused certs did you have? Were they previously ordered award certs or were they from a credit card or other promotional activity?

Note that TP hotel award certs will return to your account as a cert unless you specifically ask the Marriott agent to convert it back to points. And as you noted, the return points will be significantly reduced as Marriott feels most of the TP value is from the airline awards portion of the TP award.
Both of the unused certs (1 each in mine and my wife's account) were from the CC Anniversary Cat 1-5 cert.

I was not tracking my lifetime totals at the time this happened so not sure what it did to my lifetime balances but if I can book an award stay with a cert (even if it is from my own account) and cancel the stay and get back points it would be beneficial because it will bump up my lifetime totals as well remove the worry about expiration.
svasandani is offline  
Old Sep 4, 17, 7:00 pm
  #2334  
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: McKinney, TX, USA
Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Posts: 10,994
Originally Posted by svasandani View Post
I was not tracking my lifetime totals at the time this happened so not sure what it did to my lifetime balances but if I can book an award stay with a cert (even if it is from my own account) and cancel the stay and get back points it would be beneficial because it will bump up my lifetime totals as well remove the worry about expiration.
If that is what happened, that is NOT the normal way CC or promotional certs are handled. You got very lucky. Also, if Marriott were to audit your account (they do that periodically), you could lose all those points and find the certs added back to each of your accounts.

And one thing I really hate about how Marriott fixes what they see as "errors", they leave no "paper" trail. Your account will show the "fixed" amount as originally being added to your account and you'll never see a removal entry. They'll just be gone. If you don't keep track yourself, you'd never know they ever did anything.
hhoope01 is online now  
Old Sep 4, 17, 9:53 pm
  #2335  
alc
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,509
Originally Posted by hhoope01 View Post
Originally Posted by alc View Post
For example, the info discussed in the Travel Package thread about a 7-night cert will return as 45K instead of back as a cert.
Note that TP hotel award certs will return to your account as a cert unless you specifically ask the Marriott agent to convert it back to points. And as you noted, the return points will be significantly reduced as Marriott feels most of the TP value is from the airline awards portion of the TP award.
I was just referring to when an agent got involved and made changes to something" and in this example, it is about changing the 7-night cert might result in cancelling the book will get points automatically instead of getting the cert back.

See brief discussion at the http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-packages.html thread (post #2450 to #2452 ) for reference.
alc is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 1:00 pm
  #2336  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Philly, PA
Programs: Avis First, Hertz Gold, Marriott Platinum, US Airways Platinum, AA Platinum, UA Silver, Hilton Diamo
Posts: 206
Had my 750th night stay at the Prague Marriott (V Celnici 8) on Saturday night (9/9/17). No pomp and circumstance (not that I expected any) and my status online quickly updated to lifetime plat. I guess that's it!
xtremeski2001 is offline  
Old Sep 13, 17, 2:05 pm
  #2337  
Hilton 10+ BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2,859
Originally Posted by xtremeski2001 View Post
Had my 750th night stay at the Prague Marriott (V Celnici 8) on Saturday night (9/9/17). No pomp and circumstance (not that I expected any) and my status online quickly updated to lifetime plat. I guess that's it!
As a Ritz-Carlton member, I did not see any changes to my status online reflecting the lifetime Plat. Is this only visible for Marriott Rewards member? The only difference noticed was that on my points expiry date, it is not stated exempted.
I could also never see my lifetime MR points - and actually did not know I hit the milestone until I suspected I hit it and wrote to customer service to ask and was I only made aware that I made it - but actually don't really still know my lifetime status, 200,001 or more? :P
Very unremarkable milestone it seems from the the loyalty department for members achieving this level.

I read in the SPG forum that members do get a lifetime membership package. I had expected at least a congratulatory email at least from someone at the loyalty department, but until today, nada...

Cheers!
nldogbert is online now  
Old Sep 15, 17, 11:58 am
  #2338  
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott/SPG Plat
Posts: 30
Have purchased points stopped counting towards lifetime status? I have purchased some points last month and they're not reflected in my lifetime points.
jpl88 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 2:56 pm
  #2339  
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta Gold, UA Plat. Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Plat. Hilton Plat. US Airways, Starwood Gold, Avis Pres
Posts: 1,378
Just reached Platinum Lifetime Status....do I get anything in the mail about it from them? Thanks
twoner32 is offline  
Old Sep 16, 17, 4:20 pm
  #2340  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Programs: HH-D; MR-P/LTP; SPG-P
Posts: 849
Recently did the same, but only got congratulations email once I passed the 750/2-mil threshold, not when I reached the threshold.

Originally Posted by twoner32 View Post
Just reached Platinum Lifetime Status....do I get anything in the mail about it from them? Thanks
Srisarin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread