Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Sep 11, 2014, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:47 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
Very good info to know, thank you! I knew about the points being standard, but knew the room nights were not. Now I know there is a way to pick those up in some circumstances too, thanks!
Old Jan 28, 2010, 2:55 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
This seems to happen primarily at Courtyards for me.
Old Jan 28, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM, (fmr US CP/PP/GP!), DL SkyClub, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Avis Chairman's Club
I've only had it happen to me once for two rooms, when I was staying in one of them.

The only other time I had anything even partly similar was about 3-4 years back, when I made a rez in my name for my mother and brother and I got the room night credit for that room too. I was thinking that it could go either way, but without me doing anything other than making the rez using my MR number, the hotel ended up giving me the room night credit and points in the end.
Old Jan 30, 2010, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by skiermsm
How do you find out how many lifetime points you have?
You can also e-mail them.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA 2P, AA LT Gold, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by skiermsm
How do you find out how many lifetime points you have?
You can also take the current point balance in your account and add that number to the total number of points you have redeemed.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 7:56 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by gardener
You can also take the current point balance in your account and add that number to the total number of points you have redeemed.
That assumes one has kept track of all the awards one has ordered (and used.) And assuming someone is getting close to LT status (i.e. 12 years, millions of points), I'm not sure how many people will have accurately kept track of that. I can tell you that I couldn't tell you every award (and the point cost) for each and every award I used over my Marriott lifetime.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 3:34 pm

Originally Posted by hhoope01
That assumes one has kept track of all the awards one has ordered (and used.) And assuming someone is getting close to LT status (i.e. 12 years, millions of points), I'm not sure how many people will have accurately kept track of that. I can tell you that I couldn't tell you every award (and the point cost) for each and every award I used over my Marriott lifetime.
I was thinking the very same thing last night when I first read the previous message, but I could not have said it better than hoope just did for me! When I first redeemed my very first Marriott Reward about 10 or 12 years ago, I had never even heard of lifetime status, and I am even wondering if they had "invented" it yet!
Old Feb 1, 2010, 8:54 pm

Marriott cheapens the status by lowering standards

By lowering the standards for the point level for the life-time levels, I believe that Marriott has lessened the value of the status.

Why does everyone assume that you deserve the life-time level when you reach 12 years and 1000 nights? The point level was put into place years ago and has work well.

I personally stay at Marriott 75+ nights every year so I don't need life-time platinum even though I have earned it.

2000+ nights
14+ years
4,000,000+ points

I see all the post from people whining that you may get the nights and the years but you will never get the points.

HUGE MISTAKE BY MARRIOTT
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:10 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; IHG Plat; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by joe cold
HUGE MISTAKE BY MARRIOTT
I'm not all that sure. There are two questions that come to mind:
  1. How many people will stay the needed nights (and have the years in the program) needed who wouldn't have ultimately received LT status any way?
  2. Once people receive LT status and either retire, change jobs, don't travel as much, etc., how many of them will be staying in hotels "diluting" the benefits that other elites might have received?
Personally, I don't think this is really going to have an appreciable effect on the number of Plats/Golds/Silvers.

Note that in the SPG forum, everytime Starwood has double nights/stays or some other promo that makes it easier for people to get Plat, people lament how that will increase the number of Plats and thus devalue the benefits received by those who would have received Plat without the promo. And Starwood Lurker always comes back to let everyone know that none of those promos appreciably increases the number of Plats. I would guess the same thing applies with Marriott here. The numbers will ultimately be close to the same. Though yes, a few may end up getting LT status a year or two earlier.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 7:48 am

Programs: A number, but no status no more
Hi Joe,

...I see all the post from people whining that you may get the nights and the years but you will never get the points.
And then there are those like me who will easily make it on points, but have a harder time on nights ...

There is no perfect solution, and as hhoope01 said, people with lifetime status will most likely not be competing for the same rooms as you.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
By lowering the standards for the point level for the life-time levels, I believe that Marriott has lessened the value of the status.

Why does everyone assume that you deserve the life-time level when you reach 12 years and 1000 nights? The point level was put into place years ago and has work well.

I see all the post from people whining that you may get the nights and the years but you will never get the points.

HUGE MISTAKE BY MARRIOTT
Joe, this should help me quite a bit. My totals are at the bottom of this post. Where I will gain (have gained) a boatload of nights is with rollover nights. I had 102 nights roll over from last year. I'll stay another 150 or so nights this year so I expect to have 100 of them roll over to next year.
But I am short on points. I have a MR Visa that I use exclusively; that will help me reach 2M but I doubt that I'll reach 3M by 2014.

I disagree on the watering down effect though. If I'm traveling heavily for a few more years, I'd have Plat status anyway.
Once my travels get cut back, I won't be using my lifetime status for many nights/year.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 3:33 pm

The reason why it is NOT a huge mistake by Marriott is that the people who were not close to the number of points, but had the other criteria in the bag already, might keep their loyalty exclusively or almost exclusively with Marriott in order to make it, when they might not have made it otherwise, do to impending retirement or other travel cutbacks. Lowering the lifetime total point requirements is an incentive, not a detriment, and that is obvious!

The reality is that any change has naysayers, people who will say it is bad, from their point of view, and others who will sing the praises of that change. Everyone is entitled to their own point of view, but my personal point of view is this change is OVERWHELMINGLY POSITIVE.

IMHO, Marriott could even go further, and offer multiple LIFETIME PATHS. A further reality is that anyone who has stayed 1,000 nights and accumulated 2,000,000 points deserves lifetime status, even without 12 years in, again, IMHO.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:05 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
I'm curious how many additional members will be granted lifetime status proportionally. I have to think that it's still a pretty small group. I doubt I'll ever make lifetime status because I tend to stay at cheaper hotels where the points don't add up as quickly.
Old Feb 2, 2010, 11:31 pm

Location: DFW, 3.5 MM, AA EXP, LIFETIME PLATINUM, MARRIOTT LIFETIME PLATINUM, STARWOOD AMBASSADOR 223 NIGHTS, AND LIFETIME GOLD, HILTON DIAMOND, NATIONAL EXECUTIVE ELITE
All I can say is I EARNED Lifetime Platinum with more than 3.0M...

As far was Marriott watering this down, I do disagree.

Even with the new 2.0M point requirement vs. 3.0M, this is still not an easy thing to achieve.

I would think that the % of Marriott members that are Lifetime Platinum is very low.
Old Feb 3, 2010, 12:23 am

I have just over 2.2 million points now, but that took me 15 years as a Platinum to achieve, plus two or three years at lower status before that! Lifetime Gold or Lifetime Platinum is not an easy feat to achieve, even with the reduced point levels, and especially in this challenging economy!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.