Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 11, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FindAWay
Lifetime points are missing from the profile section of the website and show as 0 in the Marriott mobile app. However, you may be able to use the work-around referenced in this blog post to see your current Lifetime Points.

You can still view your lifetime points online with the following steps:
  1. Go to www.marriott.com and login
  2. Go to https://www.marriott.com/rewards/rewards-program.mi
  3. Click "Nights"
See screenshot of what to click.

If you call Marriott they can also tell you your lifetime points balance.

http://www.marriott.com/marriott/rew...te-benefits.mi As of 20 May, this process does not work. There is no link called "Night Detail" on this page.

To check lifetime balances: (HT to txpenny)
1. Click "Night Detail".
2. Click "Learn More" (under the night total)
3. Click "Marriott Rewards Overview". At this point you're probably no longer logged in (because you've been thrown to an older version of the Marriott website), so log in again.
4. Click "Nights" under your current year's nights. -> The detail you're expecting showing LT nights and points will show up like before.

Lifetime Silver Elite:
250 qualified nights
1.2 million points

Lifetime Gold Elite
500 qualified nights
1.6 million points

Lifetime Platinum Elite
750 qualified nights
2.0 million points

To check your point and night balance, log into your account and click My Account > Account Overview > Nights.

"Elite Lifetime Status is determined by your total qualified nights stayed and points earned throughout the course of your membership – including your paid nights, Elite rollover nights, meeting nights and the nights and points earned on your Marriott Rewards Credit Card."

Points used by members to buyback their previously attained Elite level will be permanently deducted from their Lifetime point balance.

If an elite's point level drops below that required for the level attained, they will drop down to the next Lifetime level until points are accumulated to get them back to the next level.

Lifetime points in addition to nights now display on your Marriott Rewards account. When logged in, click on "Nights" (the blue link below the number representing your current year nights). You'll see the detail of what comprises your current year nights as well as your Lifetime Status nights.
Print Wikipost

Lifetime Marriott Rewards elite status (Pre-Merge 2018 and earlier)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
The irony is that twenty+ years later I told her son, an orthopedic surgeon, about this and he shot back, "Then why was she always telling us to do it because she said so?"
Old Jul 6, 2015, 9:45 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Plus, IMO, Hilton, Starwood and Holiday Inn points are not as valuable because it often takes more points to redeem at where I want to go, and those chains lack the breadth of Marriott.
I would assert that Hilton comes pretty darn close to matching the breadth of Marriott.

Originally Posted by lexdevil
This assumes a world without status matches, which is not the real world.
Yes and No. The problem is most programs tend only give you one status match. So unless you can maintain that level, you back to having to "earn" it again in other years. This is where those LT status levels can be very nice to earn. ^

Over all, I don't really argue with CJKatl's assessment, but I will say earning points in a single program may not be the complete picture. For example, while Marriott may have a large breadth of hotels all over the world, there are still places that Marriott doesn't cover very well (or as well as some other hotel chains might.) Also, even though Marriott may have a nice option in a location, it might not be available when you need it. So having pionts/status in a backup chain (or 2) can be very helpful.

Also, different programs definitely have different "sweet" spots for awards. I still think that Marriott's TP awards are probably the single best hotel award in any program. But if you need a short stay in a non-metro area, sometimes Marriott's award structure isn't the best. So sometimes splitting stays across multiple chains can be beneficial (even if it means the total number of points I get might not be completely "optimized" within the Marriott program.) Note that I've always been impressed with pinniped's various posts across multiple hotel chain forums on where those "sweet spots" may reside. S/he is vary articulate and

But overall, especially for those who may not be "road warriors", it may well be in your best interest to pick a single chain and work it as best you can. But the closer someone gets to that true "road warrior" status it probably makes more sense to have secondary and possibly even tertiary programs to earn points in.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: Lowly UA silver, Marriott Ambassador/Tit4Lyf, IHG Plat
You won't be status matched to the top tier at the other hotels, so you will be losing something. Plus, IMO, Hilton, Starwood and Holiday Inn points are not as valuable because it often takes more points to redeem at where I want to go, and those chains lack the breadth of Marriott.
Given that I rarely get upgraded, and that I stay at a lot of locations that have a free crappy breakfast for all and/or no lounge for anyone, that's unlikely to make a great difference. And given how much I travel, I would be top tier pretty quickly.

My crankiness is probably being amplified at the moment by my current frustrations in booking our annual family vacation to London. Lots of extra charges and not many upgrade opportunities = a great reminder that I am not special.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 8:45 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by hhoope01
The problem is most programs tend only give you one status match. So unless you can maintain that level, you back to having to "earn" it again in other years. This is where those LT status levels can be very nice to earn. ^
First let me say I agree that the point of earning status should be to enjoy it, not merely to notch it as a win and move on to the next race. For example, when I was flying 140k miles per year I strove to focus my travel with one airline/alliance even when I earned more than 100k (for top tier) with them in any given year. I found the upgrades and RDM multipliers with airline #1 more valuable than attempting to earn, say, mid-tier status with airline #2. I've done similar with hotels.

But that equation would change if I could maintain top-tier status with two companies. For example, if I were flying 200k+ annually I would strongly consider maintaining top tier elite status with two airlines (barring some special super-elite tier like UA's GS that requires the extra flying).

This is where LT status comes in. With LT status I don't have to work to maintain status at Company #1. If I'm still traveling often enough to maintain top-tier status with some company, I might as well take a status challenge for Company #2 -- so I start getting elite benefits right away -- and then continue to earn status with them for a few years. I figure CJKatl is in this kind of situation as he's met Marriott's LTP requirements twice over.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Global, Marriot Lifetime Titanium
>First let me say I agree that the point of earning status should be to enjoy it, not merely to notch it as a win and move on to the next race.

"Merely" does not give the next race enough credit. Multiple programs means benefits in more locations as well as protection in the event a program becomes worthless for various reasons.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:03 pm

Originally Posted by JackE
>First let me say I agree that the point of earning status should be to enjoy it, not merely to notch it as a win and move on to the next race.

"Merely" does not give the next race enough credit. Multiple programs means benefits in more locations as well as protection in the event a program becomes worthless for various reasons.
I agree. I feel many people (myself included) get into the maintaining status just for the reason of maintaining status. One really cannot justify all the stuff we do.
Old Aug 22, 2015, 7:53 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Like others on this thread who aspire for lifetime status, I am long on nights but short on points as a consequence of working for companies that give their employees credit cards and then prohibit use of personal cards when traveling. I have sufficient nights for lifetime gold but am several hundred thousand short on points. Given that I expect to retire in 16 months, I'm not going to close the gap on points simply by traveling more. What's are my options? Credit card is one. Buying points at prevailing prices is not palatable. Any other options for big chunks of points?

Last edited by ccengct; Aug 22, 2015 at 8:27 pm
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by ccengct
Like others on this thread who aspire for lifetime status, I am long on nights but short on points as a consequence of working for companies that give their employees credit cards and then prohibit use of personal cards when traveling. I have sufficient nights for lifetime gold but am several hundred thousand short on points. Given that I expect to retire in 16 months, I'm not going to close the gap on points simply by traveling more. What's are my options? Credit card is one. Buying points at prevailing prices is not palatable. Any other options for big chunks of points?
If you can stomach the idea, head on over to Manufactured Spending and have a blast.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 10:27 am

Are there any airlines that transfer miles to Marriott points?

I personally do not view lifetime status as being that worthwhile that one should really pursue it.
Old Aug 23, 2015, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Make sure to get MR MegaBonus points when possible. When it was three promos a year, maxing out meant 100,000-150,000 extra points annually. Many people are getting a 45,000 point offer for fall, so be sure to check your account and register.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 4:57 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Transferring from many airlines is possible but usually a horrible deal. How many points short are you? You can buy 50K points per yer. You could sign up for the Chase Marriott card and get an 80K point signup bonus, then either cancel or dip into some Manufactured Spending as CWAL suggested.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 6:44 am

Programs: LT Platinum Marriott/Starwood; Exec Plat AA; LT Plat AA
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I agree. I feel many people (myself included) get into the maintaining status just for the reason of maintaining status. One really cannot justify all the stuff we do.
LMAO. Guilty. I could not even start to thing how many MR's over the year to maintain Status... Well sure I've got an extra 12 hours to burn on a STL-SJU trip...

Though... I just qualified for double LT Plat on Marriott, just hit my 1,500th night... Nothing from them in case you were wondering
Old Aug 29, 2015, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by mooper
Transferring from many airlines is possible but usually a horrible deal. How many points short are you? You can buy 50K points per yer. You could sign up for the Chase Marriott card and get an 80K point signup bonus, then either cancel or dip into some Manufactured Spending as CWAL suggested.
+1 CC sign up bonuses will close the gap the fastest
Old Aug 29, 2015, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bosman
+1 CC sign up bonuses will close the gap the fastest
If the Ritz card went back to offering 140,000 MR points as a signup bonus, that would close the gap the fastest. Unfortunately, some time back they switched to offering free night certs instead as the only signup bonus, and that helps not a single bit with closing the gap between LT nights and LT points.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:29 am
mav

Programs: Hilton, marriott, IHG, Club Carlson, United Airlines,timeshare owner
Manufactured spend

Can someone please show me where Manufactured spend is? I have almost 500 nights and not even 500,000 points yet I have a looonnnggg way to go. TIA
Maria

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.