Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I have a few questions about the various promotions offered by SPG in this hotel.

I am booking a total of 3 rooms (one of them for 5 days and the other two rooms for 3 days). This is for a family get-together - me and my wife are flying in first and will be joined by the rest of the family 2 days later.

1. At this moment I have reserved the two rooms for the 3 day stay at a flexible rate of SGD360 each - with taxes the total comes to around SGD424. I am looking around for a BRG opportunity and once I spot a cheaper price I will book 2 rooms and send in the BRG request. Will there be an issue with having 4 rooms booked in my name for a day or two or will it raise any flags? And can anyone recommend a BRG deal for this hotel?

2. I just became a Platinum member a few days back and this is my first trip with status. Is there anything I should be aware of in this hotel in particular?

3. There seem to be a plethora of deals on the SPG site each with it's own nuance. I could not use the second night 40% off since Singapore was excluded. I also could not use fourth night free since you have to stay exactly 4 nights and my rooms are for 3 and 5 nights respectively. I looked into the 10% off for suites but the price is much higher than booking it without any offer. Is there any obvious deal I am missing?

Thanks in advance.
Old Apr 16, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm looking at an upcoming paid stay as a plat with two teenagers ... trying to decide between the new JW and the StR. The rates are the same and the reviews on both properties seem pretty mixed. The StR doesn't seem to upgrade much and I don't see any feedback on that issue with the JW. Interestingly, the FHR rates with a fourth night free are cheaper than when booking direct. I presume you can't get the BRG from that or if it matters.

Looks like the JW might have a better pool and a more modern design but the StR has a better location. Is that a good comparison? And ... if I book for two with two twin beds, will anyone notice that I show up with three?

Last edited by C17PSGR; Apr 16, 2017 at 2:34 pm
Old Apr 16, 2017, 6:13 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm looking at an upcoming paid stay as a plat with two teenagers ... trying to decide between the new JW and the StR. The rates are the same and the reviews on both properties seem pretty mixed. The StR doesn't seem to upgrade much and I don't see any feedback on that issue with the JW. Interestingly, the FHR rates with a fourth night free are cheaper than when booking direct. I presume you can't get the BRG from that or if it matters.

Looks like the JW might have a better pool and a more modern design but the StR has a better location. Is that a good comparison? And ... if I book for two with two twin beds, will anyone notice that I show up with three?
I haven't had a bad stay at either hotel - but then I've never stayed at the JW

The infrequent upgrades at the StR are a valid (but relatively minor) point - to be fair their basic room is already well appointed and reasonably spacious, though I can imagine you might want a suite with the kids in the room. I'd expect the StR's furnishings and amenities to be more luxe than the JW.

Never tried a FHR rate + BRG - in my experience, Singapore SPG hotels aren't the easiest to find BRGs for though.

Location-wise, both have their perks; they're near different things. The JW location is closer to the bay area, while the StR is right on Orchard Road. Neither is poorly located but it's a question of what you're in town for.

On the number of occupants - not sure about policy with teenagers as my children are much younger; I've not had any issues here with just using existing bedding, though. I suppose if your kids are old enough the hotel could be well within its rights to enforce a nightly extra person fee or even ask you to rebook a larger room at a higher rate.
Old Apr 17, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum | Hilton Diamond | Hyatt Globalist
Just a DP.

Had a BRG that I stupidly submitted for 1 adult, when it was actually for my honeymoon.

Contacted the hotel to let them know about the honeymoon and that I made a mistake of booking 1 adult instead of 2.

Got an email back saying they have changed the occupancy to 2 adults, and the rate still shows BRG20.

Guess it worked?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Originally Posted by meraki1990
Just a DP.

Had a BRG that I stupidly submitted for 1 adult, when it was actually for my honeymoon.

Contacted the hotel to let them know about the honeymoon and that I made a mistake of booking 1 adult instead of 2.

Got an email back saying they have changed the occupancy to 2 adults, and the rate still shows BRG20.

Guess it worked?
Where did you get the other competitive rate that you used the BRG for?
Old Apr 17, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Marriott - Platinum/LTG | KF *G QPPS (working on TPPS) | OZ - Diamond Plus
Originally Posted by meraki1990
Just a DP.

Guess it worked?
Nice. AFAIK there's no difference in the rate between single and double occupancy at the StR SIN, but there may be if you have more than 2 persons (especially on rates which include breakfast) or if you require additional bedding. So that probably helped your case.

I've on occasion been advised by the BRG team (for bookings at at other properties) that if I wanted to change the booking from 1 adult to 2 I would need to resubmit my claim. Most of the time I've been able to resolve this without doing so by dealing directly with the hotel - or I've just turned up and haven't yet had a problem. But (again) I haven't gone over 2 adults in a room.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I would expect the StR Singapore to notice the third person and to follow the rules or to insist that the rules be followed.
Old Apr 18, 2017, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I would expect the StR Singapore to notice the third person and to follow the rules or to insist that the rules be followed.
Understood ... just seems a little odd where there is no additional bedding and breakfast is only for two -- so really no extra cost to the property, that there would be a $120 SGD charge for an additional person.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by C17PSGR
Understood ... just seems a little odd where there is no additional bedding and breakfast is only for two -- so really no extra cost to the property, that there would be a $120 SGD charge for an additional person.
MSPeconomist is quite right though, based on the StR SIN age and occupancy policy:
The maximum number of guests in each room is either:

two (2) adults and two (2) children under 12 years of age or
three (3) adults
An extra bed can be provided for the third guest. However, extra beds are subject to availability upon arrival.

A surcharge for the third adult will apply regardless of whether or not an extra bed is required.
If your kids are above 12 it's likely you'll fall into the latter category and incur the surcharge.

If only two people have breakfast you might get away with it (especially if your kids are discreet during check-in), but it's within their rights to notice and if they do so they may well add the charge at check-out.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Upgrade experience

Here's my experience as a data point

- SPG Plat, booked the cheapest room (Executive room) via AMEX FHR
- On day of arrival noticed on the app that room type had changed to Deluxe (one category up)
- Called the SPG Platinum line and asked them to contact the hotel prior to my arrival to check why they couldn't upgrade me to a suite
- A couple of hours later the app shows that the room type has been changed to a St. Regis suite
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:36 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum
What I liked about the breakfast here is that there is an a la carte menu that you can order off as part of the buffet which is included for Platinums - dim sum, teriyaki salmon, lobster bisque caviar omelette in particular. What was annoying was that this wasn't explained when I had breakfast in the Astor Lounge on the first day and it was only the 2nd day when I ate at breakfast at the poolside restaurant that I realised this menu existed.

There is also an issue here with staff training, in particular catering for guests with allergies. When the butler brought tea to my room just after check-in, I asked her what kind of biscuit had come with the tea. I was informed it was a butter almond biscuit. I then said I was allergic to nuts and asked for alternatives. Her answer was "all our biscuits have nuts". Surprisingly her answer ended there so I then asked her "do you have any other snacks without nuts? and again I got an initial no, which prompted me to ask out of surprise "so you have nothing at all that I can eat" - she then refused to accept responsibility or express any apology and went on about how normally guests notify them in advance and they make arrangements - evidently my raised eyebrows were noticed by her and she then said she would speak to the chef, and about 40mins later she returns with chocolate biscuits that are nut-free.

A similar problem happened the next day when I went for afternoon tea at the Astor Lounge - I asked the front desk attendant at the lounge if someone could show/tell me which items on the dessert buffet had nuts in them and again "everything has nuts in it. But you can eat the scones and the sandwiches" - no apology, no effort to check with the chef or to obtain alternative nut-free desserts.

BTW, her statement was false and actually most of the dessert items were nut-free, e.g. the banana crumble, the ice-cream, the pandan cake, the bread and butter pudding, the crepe and waffle station, the eclairs.

I have never been treated so disdainfully or with such apathy as an allergy sufferer by any hotel or restaurant as I was at the St Regis Singapore.

Certainly this all compared very poorly to the Regent around the corner, which I visited for afternoon tea a few months ago - not only did I get a personal tour of the buffet from the chef, they also offered to make separate fresh items in the kitchen for me which were nut-free - about 3 plates full of savoury and sweet items.
estnet and kodansha999 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 11:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
In general I've found the service at STR Singapore to lack that of Westin and W. I like the location more than the other two but did not enjoy the experience from a service standpoint. I have yet to try one of the new Design hotels and plan to on next singapore trip
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: KF Gold | IHG Amb | SPG LTG | HH Gold
I'm not sure if it is just a one off situation... still trying to figure out what happened:

During check-in, few things had went weirdly different from other hotel's processes:

1: They got confused on the credit card number used for prepayment
2: Can't quite figured out whether I'm a gold or platinum member - have to tell them my status (They gave me a gold member key sleeve anyway - not that it really make material difference but it gives me a feeling that don't give a da*n)
3: No explanation of platinum benefits. When I asked, I was told it's evening drinks and breakfast. (No mention of time)
4: No mention of platinum gift (If I remember correctly it is 500 points as a default?)

The room is well appointed though. Since it is already late, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully nothing goes wrong during check out a few days later.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:00 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by LuisHK
I'm not sure if it is just a one off situation... still trying to figure out what happened:

During check-in, few things had went weirdly different from other hotel's processes:

1: They got confused on the credit card number used for prepayment
2: Can't quite figured out whether I'm a gold or platinum member - have to tell them my status (They gave me a gold member key sleeve anyway - not that it really make material difference but it gives me a feeling that don't give a da*n)
3: No explanation of platinum benefits. When I asked, I was told it's evening drinks and breakfast. (No mention of time)
4: No mention of platinum gift (If I remember correctly it is 500 points as a default?)

The room is well appointed though. Since it is already late, I'm going to sleep. Hopefully nothing goes wrong during check out a few days later.
I'd give a call down to or stop by and speak with the front desk manager in the morning whenever convenient...just to be sure. If it was curious enough for you to post concerns here, it's curious enough to confirm/check in the morning. Either way, they need to know that check in was handled curiously and unimpressively.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 3:14 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by bhrubin
I'd give a call down to or stop by and speak with the front desk manager in the morning whenever convenient...just to be sure. If it was curious enough for you to post concerns here, it's curious enough to confirm/check in the morning. Either way, they need to know that check in was handled curiously and unimpressively.
They know, its SOP here !!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.