Search
Old Nov 26, 2014, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
Print Wikipost

Singapore St Regis [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott & SPG Plat, HH Diamond, Accor Plat, ex-Fairmont Plat, ex-Swissotel Eleva
Originally Posted by theaccesscard
My stay was quite amazing to be honest.Arriving at the hotel at 10 am,while waiting for the room to be ready,they serve me complimentary juices at the drawing room.At about 10.30 am my room is ready (hours before standard checkin time).Booked a grand executive room but got upgrade to their specialty suite on 19 floor, Knickerbocker Suite to be precise.Butler services was great,they help me a lot during my stay.Large fruit platter,chocolates,macaroons,biscuit were sent consistently to my room even though I travel just by myself.FD agent seems to recognize my SPG status,duty manager,front office manager and even their GM treat me like VIP!Housekeeping have done a very descent job with room make up and turn down service.They even go beyond by sending me hot tea with honey after they saw me not well.Received a late checkout until 6pm the next day. I'm really Impressed.
Was it a special occasion? Or a Virtuoso rate?

Then again, I had a very special occasion, and booked Caroline Astor Suite, and yet was not able to get upgraded to Knickerbocker Suite or any other Suites above Caroline Astor Suite.

I remember also booking a Virtuoso Rate before, and still did not manage to get a Suite upgrade.

In all my stays (apart the special occasion and booked the Caroline Astor Suite directly), I have never been upgraded to a Suite. In fact, I think I was in Grand Deluxe Room only as my best "upgraded" room, and I have stayed a few times.

Now reading your review, I am upset that St Regis is selective treating certain Platinums extremely well.

I am considering booking St Regis for a special occasion again, but if I am going to miss out on yet another upgrade, and comparing it with your treatment, I am sure the special occasion will become be less special. lol.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Wow, breakfast service is really, really bad. Check in was nice, the upgrade to a St. Regis Suite is nice. But breakfast was worse than a Holiday Inn service-wise. No hostess (although that could be a positive for anyone who sneaks in for a free breakfast). I flagged down a harried waiter to find me a table. Then I went to fill up a plate and found someone making up the table. Only they left without putting down any silverware. So I stole some from another table. I ate for a while, waiting in vain for someone to come around for coffee or tea. Finally got up and flagged down the same harried waiter. He took the tea order and came back soon with a pot of tea...and a filthy spotted tea cup! I got up and found him and showed him the cup and he kind of half apologized and got a clean cup. I am sure that he cannot be normal staff because normal staff know how to make up for a mistake like that. Or not let it happen in the first place. So all I can guess is that this hotel is very short staffed for some reason.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 9:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ZenWorld
Was it a special occasion? Or a Virtuoso rate?

Then again, I had a very special occasion, and booked Caroline Astor Suite, and yet was not able to get upgraded to Knickerbocker Suite or any other Suites above Caroline Astor Suite.

I remember also booking a Virtuoso Rate before, and still did not manage to get a Suite upgrade.

In all my stays (apart the special occasion and booked the Caroline Astor Suite directly), I have never been upgraded to a Suite. In fact, I think I was in Grand Deluxe Room only as my best "upgraded" room, and I have stayed a few times.

Now reading your review, I am upset that St Regis is selective treating certain Platinums extremely well.

I am considering booking St Regis for a special occasion again, but if I am going to miss out on yet another upgrade, and comparing it with your treatment, I am sure the special occasion will become be less special. lol.
IMO you should be careful to distinguish the upgrades to which you are entitled versus the above and beyond ones you'd like to get.

First of all, if you book an "ordinary" suite (senior or junior), most hotels won't upgrade you to a specialty suite (especially of the sort that the StR has) unless you're either an extremely frequent guest who spends a lot at the property or the hotel is totally booked and every suite will be assigned to someone that night.

Secondly, the upgrade that Virtuos0 bookings get (at most properties) according to their contract is one category only. If there are no rooms in the next category available at check in, the hotel isn't obligated to give you a two category upgrade even if those rooms are available,
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:18 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If there are no rooms in the next category available at check in, the hotel isn't obligated to give you a two category upgrade even if those rooms are available,
Does the Virtuosos/FHR resort upgrade stop at a certain level? i.e. If you book a specialty suite would they upgrade you further?
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:28 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Does the Virtuosos/FHR resort upgrade stop at a certain level? i.e. If you book a specialty suite would they upgrade you further?
IME in most properties the answers would be yes and no.

Each hotel sets its own policy for the maximum possible upgrade category which they are obligated to give if available at check in. In a few places, there's no limit (but maybe the Presidential Suite, if there is one, isn't so special) while some other hotels won't upgrade above a junior suite. If you call AmEx PTS/CTS, they can tell you the policy of any hotel you're considering as well as which category upgrades into what category; usually they volunteer the FHR rates for the upgraded category too so that you get some sense of how much of an upgrade it would be.

The rules for Centurion are a bit different with more generous amenities and upgrades in some properties, including more places that confirm the upgrade at the time of booking.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:35 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
IME in most properties the answers would be yes and no.

Each hotel sets its own policy for the maximum possible upgrade category which they are obligated to give if available at check in. In a few places, there's no limit (but maybe the Presidential Suite, if there is one, isn't so special) while some other hotels won't upgrade above a junior suite. If you call AmEx PTS/CTS, they can tell you the policy of any hotel you're considering as well as which category upgrades into what category; usually they volunteer the FHR rates for the upgraded category too so that you get some sense of how much of an upgrade it would be.

The rules for Centurion are a bit different with more generous amenities and upgrades in some properties, including more places that confirm the upgrade at the time of booking.
Thanks. I (incorrectly) assumed why upgrade benefit would stop at a certain level.
Old Aug 21, 2016, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
Thanks. I (incorrectly) assumed why upgrade benefit would stop at a certain level.
The FHR upgrade benefit generally does stop at a certain level, but this isn't uniform in any sense across hotels in the program.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the Plat cocktails still in the bar portion of the casual Italian restaurant by the pool (on the second floor by the spa)?
Yes, but they don't serve cocktails. Did they before? Now it is a weak Prosecco, wine or Tiger Draft. And some so-so nibbles. They call it a Platinum soirée rather than Platinum cocktail.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
They call it a Platinum soirée rather than Platinum cocktail.
That is hilarious!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:56 am

A soiree? For me, that has connotations of formal evening dress.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A soiree? For me, that has connotations of formal evening dress.
I wore both pants and shoes!
Old Aug 23, 2016, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA GGL, SQ PPS, HH Diamond, SPG LTP/100, Marriott Platinum, Mucci des Lois Constitutionelles
Am planning a trip to Singapore next year. Last year we tried the Fullerton (Governor's suite) but it had a serious cockroach problem in the guest toilet and the management were utterly useless about it (not even an apology).

Am considering the St Regis and the Raffles. Which do folk recommend? We like old school, large terraces, top notch service and taking food allergies seriously.

Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by d'Yquem
Am planning a trip to Singapore next year. Last year we tried the Fullerton (Governor's suite) but it had a serious cockroach problem in the guest toilet and the management were utterly useless about it (not even an apology).

Am considering the St Regis and the Raffles. Which do folk recommend? We like old school, large terraces, top notch service and taking food allergies seriously.

Thanks in advance.
Definitely not top service here. One of the most useless Concierges and Butlers we have ever encountered.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 8:25 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat

Thanks in advance.
Raffles, Raffles, raffles Raffles or Raffles
Old Aug 23, 2016, 9:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As said, St. Regis doesn't have great service throughout, although there are some standout employees here. The hard product is decent and the suite I'm in is very nice. I don't think you will find good service at Raffles either, and it is a Disney-like property which turns some people off. My best service in Singapore is as a Club guest at the Mandarin Oriental. But you have to book a club room or club suite! I hear that the Ritz is just as good, but it is a much larger hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.