Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Roll Call: Report your Residence Inn 'social hour' offerings

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Roll Call: Report your Residence Inn 'social hour' offerings

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2008, 3:06 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
Valley Forge RI

I was at the VF RI.

It was severly delayed. Not served until almost 6:30. It was BLTs, tomato soup and philly pretzels. Tomatoes and lettuce were fresh, bacon was so-so.

Soup was great, alcohol was serve yourself.
Old May 2, 2008, 3:08 pm

Programs: MRSPG LT Tit, HH Diamond, Hertz Pres.
salisbury, MD RI

2 weeks ago, was at RI in salisbury, MD.

GREAT property. Only there one night and everything else booked for some freaking POODLE show

My one night was wings, soup and salad.

All were plentiful and good.

I am not normally a RI person when alone. When we travel, it is always RI as there are 4 or 5 of us.
Old May 3, 2008, 8:52 am

Programs: AC MM 50K, Marriott LTT
A few weeks ago at the San Diego Mission Valley RI on Thursday evening there was soup and salad with comp wine and beer. Two soup choices and a "mini" salad bar. Everything was good!
Old May 3, 2008, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG
I stayed at the Downtown Philly RI Mon & Tues this week. When I checked in, the front desk explained the breakfast and gave me my "card" that entitled me to a free breakfast. Breakfast offerings both days were pretty good - yogurt, fruit, scrambled eggs, potatos, waffles, oatmeal.

The front desk never mentioned the "social hour" and I asked about it. It started at 5:30. They said they had free "dinner" but not free alcoholic drinks. They had a free soft drink machine but I had to pay for a beer or wine.

Offerings were limited. They had plain yogurt, celery sticks & humus, salad with packets of Paul Newman's salad dressing, chocolate pudding, 3 bean salad, pound cake and/or brownies. The one hot item the first night was what I call little "pigs in a blanket" - small cocktail weiners with dough (like crescent rolls) wrapped around them. The first night they had salsa and chips but not the second night. The one hot item the next night was gross - macaroni in marinara/tomato sauce.

One thing that struck me as humorous - the 3 bean salad was placed next to the chocolate pudding at the start of the food line, not near the end where the pound cake or brownies were.

Is it customary that the employees can also enjoy the "social hour dinner"?
Old May 3, 2008, 2:32 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
So, if I had to guess from reading this thread, it sounds like Marriott Corporate gave direction to the local properties to the effect of "do what you want but you must give them something. And here are a few suggestions - cut it back a night, cut the alcohol and maybe use the savings for some catered BBQ pork".

We went from a fairly standardized menu with beer/wine to this. That is the only conclusion I can draw.

Sad. And I love the RI brand regardless of the 1/2 points.
Old May 4, 2008, 6:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
LV RI South

Dean Martin Drive property

Any comments on the social hour here?

Good/Bad/Indifferent?

Days of the week that its offered?
Old Jul 22, 2008, 1:57 pm

I called the brand new Residence Inn Egg Harbor/Atlantic City Airport, NJ to make sure they had a social hour on Thursdays before using my annual MR Visa free night certificate (I was thinking about trying the new Courtyard in AC, too) and they said they did. So, we got there and it turns out they only have it Mondays thru Wednesdays to our disappointment. I talked to the front desk and they said they had to reinforce this with their workers. Anyway, we stayed at the RI in Langhorne, PA the next night and their social hours are Mondays thru Thursdays.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 2:26 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
Again, I find this new direction sad and pathetic. We went from being able to count on beer/wine 4 nights a week with decent offerings to a hodge podge of nights and food being offered.

Some of the items above sound absolutely wonderful but all I see at the RI's I frequent are limited quantities of pulled pork and no alcohol.

This used to be my favor Marriott brand until they had to tinker with it. Now I prefer the Homewood Suites.
Old Jul 22, 2008, 9:19 pm

Programs: Delta Gold
Stayed two nights in downtown Sacramento RI last week. Both nights (Mon/Tues) had a happy hour from 5:30pm-7:30pm that had soft pretzels, chips/salsa/cheese, snack mix, and I think maybe popcorn.

Didn't notice any wine, there were about a half-dozen types of beer to choose from (Sierra Nevada, Sam Adams, Corona, Heineken, Amstel Light, Bud).

If memory serves, the happy hour is every night of the week, and on Thursday evenings there is a wine tasting.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 10:54 am
tgw

Agreed with others.

I would just scrap the hot "food" in the evenings and just offer some cold snacks with the cheap beer and wine.

Who plans on eating a full dinner at a Residence Inn? Why have the kitchens? It seems like it would strech the resources of a hotel/motel with already limited resources to try and put out a dinner offering like that, hence the low quality.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:15 pm

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
The RI near the Indiana state capitol has only 2 social hours this week. Yesterday was a baked potato bar with broccoli, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream. No bacon.

Calling this an "improvement" or "enhancement" is incredibly Orwellian.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
So much for the consistency that Marriott was supposedly creating by cutting back one day & augmenting the offerings

Cheers.
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tgw
Who plans on eating a full dinner at a Residence Inn?
Unfortunately their are many many people who do
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Big Mo
The RI near the Indiana state capitol has only 2 social hours this week. Yesterday was a baked potato bar with broccoli, shredded cheese, salsa, and sour cream. No bacon.

Calling this an "improvement" or "enhancement" is incredibly Orwellian.
I would encourage you to provide feedback to Marriott as this is not the standard set by the brand
Old Jul 23, 2008, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So much for the consistency that Marriott was supposedly creating by cutting back one day & augmenting the offerings

Cheers.
Knowing this franchisor I'm not surpised honestly

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.