Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Roll Call: Report your Residence Inn 'social hour' offerings

Roll Call: Report your Residence Inn 'social hour' offerings

Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by socrates
You're gonna make me to pull the memo aren't you

Today was a long day but I'll see what I can do this weekend
ok so I looked it up now....

I've just quickly scanned through the information and it is quite impressive but I dont believe there is much I can post which wouldn't be confidential other than to say the focus is on higher quality food, more appealing presentations and improved ambience to complement each event (yes BBQ is a standard).

There were 8 test hotels scattered around the country (I do know a few of the GM's at the test hotels) so some hotels have been doing this for quite some time now...the deadline for implimentation was December 31st so all hotels should be following the new format now but from the postings already in this thread it appears as though some hotels have yet to impliment.
Old Jan 18, 2008, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If anyone stays on a Thurs, please post if a social hour is offered...
Last Thursday I had a ResInn stay in Texas. While I wasn't around that evening to check out the offerings, I was reminded at check-in of the social hour and told they would be having "eggrolls."

Last edited by cawhite; Jan 18, 2008 at 4:54 pm
Old Jan 18, 2008, 4:01 pm
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Just checked into the Arlington, TX RI. Unfortunately, the GM just left for the day, so I missed him. I did talk with the front desk agent though. He knows nothing about a change of nights for the evening refreshment offerings. This hotel still offers M-T night refreshments (at least through February as the front desk agent said he just saw a February listing in the back.) He did say that they have changed their nightly offerings to match Marriott's general suggested offerings though.

The January listing (the agent said he couldn't show me February's) has the following offerings:

1: Pretzels, salami and fresh green salad
2: Grilled hotdogs
3: Cold pasta salad and fresh seasonal fruits
7: Assorted cheese with crackers
8: Baked potatoes and side condiments
9: BBQ burgers
10: Make your own Taco
14: Hot Meatballs in ???? (the rest didn't print out.)
15: Chilli cheese hotdogs
16: Hot plate of nachos and ???? (the rest didn't print out.)
17: Snacks with Kathy and salami to top it off.
21: Chicken fajitas
22: Italian pasta salads
23: Hot grilled burgers
24: Vegetable sticks, cheese and crackers
28: Cold Deli
29: Bacon burgers
30: Variety of cheese and snacks and salad
31: Variety of fresh fruits with salad and snacks

The evening hours served are 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Old Jan 21, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR Plat Premier, Nat'l Exec Elite, Hilton Diamond
So let me get this straight...Social Hour is now from Mon - Wed, Thu - Sun we're on our own. There are fewer food choices, the BBQ isn't fit for Alpo and to top it off, only 5 points/per dollar spent on the room, sans tax?

What are redeeming qualities of staying at a RI vs TPS vs SHS or even a FI?

I swore off RI a long time ago, based on the points issue. For me, a FI will work fine as all I'm looking for a bed, shower, TV & the internet. Then again, since the dough doesn't come out of my pocket, I typically stay at a FS, but in some markets I have to choose among a CY/RI/FI.

The talkling heads say we're headed for a recession...I believe we've already docked there. If RI is what it takes, then so be it, but it's not my cup o' tea.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by Hazmike
So let me get this straight...Social Hour is now from Mon - Wed, Thu - Sun we're on our own. There are fewer food choices, the BBQ isn't fit for Alpo and to top it off, only 5 points/per dollar spent on the room, sans tax?

What are redeeming qualities of staying at a RI vs TPS vs SHS or even a FI?
None, which is why I prefer SHS.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium (former PP), Hilton Silver, UA Silver, AS Member, Hertz 5*
RIs are not good if your primary interest is to rack up a bunch of points and get a lot of elite recognition. They are a good choice if you are staying with more than one person and want the option to cook using a full kitchen. Two bedroom suites are especially nice if you are traveling with family or a lot of friends because it is often a cheaper option than getting two separate rooms at a property.
Old Jan 21, 2008, 4:33 pm

RI Naples, FL Monday Night

We're here for the week and tonight is our first social hour. It is scheduled to run from 5:30 to 8:30 PM. The title is "Tuned In." Blurb on calendar is "Grab a chair and enjoy some tasty selections while taking in the big game or a must see TV show."

What we had. Crunchies including potato chips, cheese curls, popcorn, and nachos with cheese or salsa. Veggies, carrots and celery sticks, with dip. Hot items - chili and giant pretzels. Desserts - giant chocolate chip cookies and fancy brownies with assorted toppings and frosting. The usual beverages.

I will check later and see if it actually runs until 8:30 PM. One reason I can see for reducing the number of nights is that the person is charge of serving is a very busy individual.

Both Mrs A and I have been pleased with the breakfasts. Hot items include scrambled eggs, sausages, hot oatmeal, pancakes or French toast, and excellent make 'em yourself Belgian waffles with strawberries and whipped cream. We haven't had much of the cold stuff, but there is cereal and granola, fresh mixed fruit, yogurt, donuts, muffins, bagels, toast, etc. Orange and cranberry juice.

Art
Old Jan 21, 2008, 10:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, AAdvantage Gold, Air Canada Elite, Avis Pref Select, Hertz Gold,
Originally Posted by Hazmike
Bingo!

I also basically swore off these places a long time ago. In fact, one of the few I used to use was the one on Poplar there in Memphis. Like the others, the business model for breakfast was "how cheap can we get away with". And the adjective that comes to mind to describe the social hour is "repulsive". (The word "smelly" also comes to mind.) I have to admit its been a few years, but I don't think I ever partook. I'd show up....scope out the mess being offered...and then leave.

Same goes for the RI a few hours down the road in Jackson, MS. The only redeeming quality in these places was the cold beer....if they were offering it.

Last edited by cyberdad; Jan 21, 2008 at 10:32 pm
Old Jan 22, 2008, 11:51 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by hhoope01
Just checked into the Arlington, TX RI.
(...)
That January summary sounds a lot better than the stuff they're serving at the RI Cincinnati Blue Ash! They got SO lazy with it... throwing some canned soup or NASTY canned "BBQ" pulled pork there is hardly worthy to be called "social hour".
Old Jan 22, 2008, 4:50 pm

Naples, FL RI Tuesday Night

First, a Monday comment. I went back over around 8 PM. The only ones there were a young couple with two little ones. Yes, the social hour did run three hours, but I doubt that it did very many much good.

Tuesday night is "The Manager's Toast," "A special thank you offering light fare and refreshments." It will run from 5:30 to 7:30 PM.

All cold items. Two kinds of lunch meat, 3 different cheeses, 4 kinds of crackers. All of these were good quality. There were also mixed nuts (very few peanuts), and some marinated olives (big favorite of ArtM and spouse). Down at the other end, the usual carrot and celery sticks and dip, as well as blue tortilla chips with guacamole and pita with hummus. The same dessert as last night, fancy brownies and chocolate chip cookies.

The two night thus far, the presentation has been first class, and the quality of the various items has been pretty good.

Art
Old Jan 22, 2008, 8:44 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Question RI - Breakfast - Is it getting more limited?

Sorry to hijack this thread. I have noticed the RI Breakfast offerings appear to be getting more limited. Specifically at the RI - Carlisle, PA (a new property) there was very limited fresh fruit and at the RI - Cleveland Airport, OH there wasn't any fresh fruit, only canned fruit in heavy syrup. Yogurt ran out quickly at both properties and I had to ask the server to bring more out. Bread offerings were on the stale side. RI - Cleveland Airport went so far as to wrap each slice of bread in saran wrap. Guess they expect it to take a while before anyone will eat a slice No hardboiled eggs at either property. On the other hand the RI - Plainview, NY does seem to go above and beyond on breakfast (e.g. fresh NY bagels available) and is good about restocking the buffet right up until closing time. Anyway, are folks seeing a general trend to downgrade breakfast at RI or have I just run into a couple of bad apples lately?

--Jon

P.S. On a related note, the size of RI rooms appears to be going down at newer properties. In fact at the RI-Carlisle, PA the bedroom is so tight in a one bedroom suite, I could barely fit my daughters pack n' play next to the king size bed. The only reason I started staying at RI's is to have more room when travelling with my family and to have a nice breakfast included. I am starting to use CY's (better rooms even though I have to pay for breakfast) and SHS (better rooms with on par cold breakfast) instead of RI. I get $10PT/dollar and typically the total cost to me including breakfast is about the same +/- $10. I.e. the value proposition for RI is poor.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:42 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
The RI in Arlington, TX that we just stayed in actually had one of the best breakfast layouts I have ever seen at an RI. They had multiple hot items (sausage, bacon, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, biscuts, gravy, etc.) and had quite a layout of pastries, cereals, etc. Everyone was impressed enough that that they don't want to go back to the CY in Arlington anymore. The RI is now the hotel of choice for all the kids and chapparones.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM (1.1MM), MR TEL, HH DL, Avis P+ National Ex+, blah blah blah
RI Orlando (International Drive)

I recently stayed at the RI in Orlando, just off International Drive (week of 7 Jan).
At check-in I received a hand-lettered personalized invitiation to their "New Year's Party" which outlined the "new" social hour events on Mon-Wed. There were different hours each evening. I don't recall exactly what hours were each evening but they varied 5-7 one night, 5:30-7:30 another.

The fare was basic, but seemed limited compared to my past experiences at other RI. Couple this with the elimination of Thursday evening and RI now has less appeal to me. One evening, there were snack-food type offerings, soft pretzels, celery/carrot sticks, humus & crackers. Another evening there were grilled burgers, chips, etc. I don't usually go out for dinner as the social hour offerings are usually sufficient. However, during this stay I ended up going out to dinner each evening.

I often stay at RI because of the kitchen and social hour offerings. The points hit was of slightly lesser concern, but was worth it as it was somewhat offset by the other perks. Now that this benefit has been reduced, it may color my future choices.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:22 pm

Naples, FL RI Wednesday Night

This was "The BBQ," "Relax and refuel with a cold beverage and a delicious plate hot off the grill."

Yes, there really was a big outside grill cooking hamburgers and bratwurst. Some nice sliced tomatoes and onions and lettuce for the hamburgers. There were tossed and potato salads and coleslaw. An interesting thing about the tossed salads were the packets of Paul Newman salad dressing that were available. We tend to view Paul Newman dressings as a little up-scale from Kraft and Wish-bone. There were some beans which my wife described as non-descript.

Desserts included watermelon and the usual chocolate chip cookies and fancy brownies.

Based on our experience this week and some of the comments on this string, it appears that the Naples RI is doing an above average job on the breakfasts and social hours.

Art
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
RI - Cleveland Airport went so far as to wrap each slice of bread in saran wrap. Guess they expect it to take a while before anyone will eat a slice
I believe (and I'm going way back in my memory here) the local law requires the bread to be wrapped like that....I know I've seen that done before but it's not often and I'm pretty sure that is the location where it's required

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.