Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2019, 6:13 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
Originally Posted by ftrichard
It must be an amazing renovation. Anyone stayed recently?
Would love to update you but I wouldn't want to put myself through that again.

From a classic Malay-inflected Luxury Collection hotel to a nasty old Sheraton. That they even allowed it get to this stage speaks volumes about the owners and management. That TA thinks old reviews are not relevant just because of a refurb is just laughable.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:26 pm

Anyone stayed recently?
I stayed here for a night between Christmas and the new year. The refurbishment in the rooms is definitely and improvement to the previous hard product – most of the common areas of the hotel, however, are untouched, with the exception of the reception desks and the club lounge area. I also don't think they made any changes to the bathrooms (from memory).

I arrived quite late in the evening and they upgraded me to a suite. Staff were mostly standing around talking at check-in. The property still needs a lot of work with the soft product, but it’s not atrocious. I did have to ask a number of times for a coffee at breakfast before it finally arrived; no welcome note or amenity in room, etc.

Overall, not much change at this property, but the hard product of the rooms and the club lounge is an improvement. Here’s a quick video tour of the room. Some more pics attached below.

FWIW, removing all old TA reviews seems to be a new modus operandi for some of these sub-standard properties. The worst SPG property I have ever stayed at was the W Atlanta - Midtown, and late last year I got a TA notification that they had removed all old reviews due to a refurbishment too. TA shouldn’t allow it.

Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:30 pm

My late wife and I frequently stayed at this property when it was brand new and in direct competition with the nearby Shangri-La. It was our home in KL for many years, and we became friendly with a number of staff. Fast forward a decade, and, well, things have obviously changed, not exactly for the better. It's a pity that the franchisee has not seen fit to keep up the property's former LC standards. While ADR's in KL are undoubtedly below average in SEA, the competition has been doing much better in luring SEA traffic to their properties through upgrades to their hard product as well as added incentives to lucrative MICE and leisure markets. However, the much abused "penny wise/pound foolish" idiomatic expression seems to be apt in this case.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
What's the point of a new refurb if the staff remain indifferent and unattentive - that's not enough to lure me back - used to stay there a lot, but they drove me away too.

Their location isn't wonderful (but a bit better with the new mall) but they have competition from places with much better location, better rooms, lounges that don't allow children to run around and throw/stomp on food and staff THAT ACT LIKE YOU ARE A WELCOME GUEST. Guess they haven't learned
Old Mar 8, 2019, 7:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
So, still not much love. I stayed there twice on staycations a few years back when I needed a few more qualifying nights and enjoyed the stay despite the hard product being extremely tired. Nice view from the lounge and the pool and spa were great to relax in.

Next time I'm in KL I'm considering the Renaissance which has also been refurbished (?). I'm bored of the Westin and Le Meridien (the best value hotel in KL) is too far from BB. Maybe I should try the brand new improved Sheraton again. Or maybe not.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:17 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Staff have always been great to me. I have 20-30 stays here. The video of the refurb ... basically they replaced the desk with a table and chairs that doesn’t match the room? What else did they do?
Old Mar 9, 2019, 8:43 pm

So, still not much love. I stayed there twice on staycations a few years back when I needed a few more qualifying nights and enjoyed the stay despite the hard product being extremely tired. Nice view from the lounge and the pool and spa were great to relax in.

Next time I'm in KL I'm considering the Renaissance which has also been refurbished (?). I'm bored of the Westin and Le Meridien (the best value hotel in KL) is too far from BB. Maybe I should try the brand new improved Sheraton again. Or maybe not.
@ftrichard, I know you know KL well, but BB is three stops (six minutes) away from the Muzium Negara MRT station, which frankly has been a godsend as I visit clients in the BB area quite often.

Granted it's not on the doorstep as it is with Westin and the JW, but it's a lot better than having to endure the monorail or fight the city traffic.
Old May 21, 2019, 1:52 am
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond

Originally Posted by estnet
Ahhh... knowing the same owner owns the SR Langkawi explains a lot - only hotel I wouldn't go back to if they paid me!
The Sheraton is not the same owner as the RC, two different companies that do share a common owner, in the form of the Indonesian Rajawali Group. In the case of the Sheraton they have a 51% stake with Marriott holding the rest, and its up for sale:

https://www.edgeprop.my/content/1523...after-15-years

The Malaysian Government had a 60% ownership of the RC a few years back.

The Sheraton was my go to hotel in 98, and always enjoyed it, luckily I have missed its bad years but a recent stay suggests to me it’s back! All the rooms were renovated, not just the top 5 floors (which I believe had some suite conversions done to grow inventory). I got a corner suite and enjoyed the experience as well as the changes, I think it’s a better product at similar prices to the Ren, and the closeness to both the monorail and the LRT makes it’s location good.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Interesting, the Sheraton is the only KL property I've stayed at that charges a Service Charge on top of the rate.

Tried to check in here today for one night but it was total amateur hour. 1 person at check-in, Elite desk not staffed, no upgrades. Cancelled and left!
Old Aug 20, 2019, 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
Interesting, the Sheraton is the only KL property I've stayed at that charges a Service Charge on top of the rate.

Tried to check in here today for one night but it was total amateur hour. 1 person at check-in, Elite desk not staffed, no upgrades. Cancelled and left!
I have always been charged the 10% service charge on the room rate, at every hotel in Malaysia I've stayed at

Is this a different additional charge you are referring to? My understanding is that all 4- and 5-star hotels, and most "Western" F&B establishments such as bars and restaurants, levy the service charge.

On your other observation, yup, sounds like the Sheraton Imperial I know and used to love!
Old Sep 3, 2019, 12:18 am

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
How's the lounge offerings here ? as others have pointed out TA reviews are purged so not sure what to expect.

Have a 3 day conference at the end of the month, and would be my first time staying in the area ... are all the rooms refurb-ed or should I be looking at alternatives ?
Old Sep 3, 2019, 2:45 am

Originally Posted by wantan
Have a 3 day conference at the end of the month, and would be my first time staying in the area ... are all the rooms refurb-ed or should I be looking at alternatives ?
Where, exactly, is the conference? That info will help people optimise your hotel in KL.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
Where, exactly, is the conference? That info will help people optimise your hotel in KL.
it's in Sheraton Imperial itself. Logically one would just stay on property ... but I don't mind switching around since I'm hand carry only.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 7:23 pm

Originally Posted by wantan
it's in Sheraton Imperial itself. Logically one would just stay on property ... but I don't mind switching around since I'm hand carry only.
Well, you could try Hotel Stripes which is newish and in the shadow of the Sheraton. I remember looking down from the Sheraton lounge and watching it being built.

Or the Renaissance is near enough to not be inconvenient. The hotels around Bukit Bintang (Westin, JW etc.) are more expensive and you could get snarled up in traffic though much better location for stuff in the evening. The hotels around Sentral (Le Meridien, Aloft) are inconvenient if you need to be at the Sheraton.

Personally, I'd stay at the Sheraton if the meeting is there given how KL traffic can be during peak hours. Maybe look at Hotel Stripes because it's walkable.
Old Jun 10, 2022, 9:39 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb, Hilton Diamond
Has anyone stayed with Marriott in KL Recently? Looking at a 5-6 day trip and previously was always at GH. Thinking of booking the Sheraton using Club Marriott rate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.