Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Jun 2, 2014, 11:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: lcpteck
SPG INSTANT AWARDS

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Imperial Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia [Master Thread]

Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Do Platinum members get to eat breakfast in the restaurant or it's only limited to the Club Lounge?
Plats can eat breakfast at the restaurant.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 6:43 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Originally Posted by zzap
Plats can eat breakfast at the restaurant.
Thanks!
Old Nov 30, 2017, 12:18 am

Originally Posted by lcpteck
Do Platinum members get to eat breakfast in the restaurant or it's only limited to the Club Lounge?
Yes, breakfast can also be had downstairs. Not the biggest lounge but pretty decent offerings as I remember.

consider the new Sheraton PJ properly their suites have got a nice view.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 3:41 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Amb, oneworld Ruby
The Sheraton Imperial KL is now undergoing an extensive refurbishment, and not a moment too soon: https://www.siklhtransformation.com/..._AP_EN&SWAQ=Z8

I last stayed here in October 2017 and it was rubbish, a sad decline for a grand former Luxury Collection hotel which was absolutely trashed by its "refurbishment" in the late 2000s to downgrade it to a garden variety Sheraton. Even the software, service standards and customer care, have been in noticeable decline for quite a few years now.

I really hope the refurb restores the hotel and its staff morale to a decent standard because I still do have a lot of memories associated with the old LC Hotel Imperial, including my honeymoon and using it as my base many years ago when attending weddings and the like in KL.

Good luck team!
Old Jul 13, 2018, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by HollyGlen
The Sheraton Imperial KL is now undergoing an extensive refurbishment, and not a moment too soon: https://www.siklhtransformation.com/..._AP_EN&SWAQ=Z8

I last stayed here in October 2017 and it was rubbish, a sad decline for a grand former Luxury Collection hotel which was absolutely trashed by its "refurbishment" in the late 2000s to downgrade it to a garden variety Sheraton. Even the software, service standards and customer care, have been in noticeable decline for quite a few years now.

I really hope the refurb restores the hotel and its staff morale to a decent standard because I still do have a lot of memories associated with the old LC Hotel Imperial, including my honeymoon and using it as my base many years ago when attending weddings and the like in KL.

Good luck team!
I stayed just last week for 2 nights.
Its not rubbish if you can get a remodeled room and have lounge access
The staff in lounge went above and beyond to secure me a suite on the 37th floor

I believe the top 5 floors have been remodeled including the lounge

While its not a total refurbishment its a heck of a lot better than before
minor noise from lower floors being remolded but wouldn't stop me from staying again
2 60" TV have been added in the bedroom and living room

While its not the Le meridian it was 1/2 the price
still get 2 pieces of laundry a day and choice of breakfast in lounge or downstairs and 500 spg pts as a plat.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
One of the (many) reasons I stopped staying there was the policy of not attending to children running wild and leaving piles of food (and crumbs) all over during evening cocktails/snacks. I'm not talking about one or two but 10-20 most nights with no direction from parents or staff.
Is this still the situation?
Originally Posted by lovtofly3
I stayed just last week for 2 nights.
Its not rubbish if you can get a remodeled room and have lounge access
The staff in lounge went above and beyond to secure me a suite on the 37th floor

I believe the top 5 floors have been remodeled including the lounge

While its not a total refurbishment its a heck of a lot better than before
minor noise from lower floors being remolded but wouldn't stop me from staying again
2 60" TV have been added in the bedroom and living room

While its not the Le meridian it was 1/2 the price
still get 2 pieces of laundry a day and choice of breakfast in lounge or downstairs and 500 spg pts as a plat.
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K HYglob Marr LT Titanium
Originally Posted by estnet
One of the (many) reasons I stopped staying there was the policy of not attending to children running wild and leaving piles of food (and crumbs) all over during evening cocktails/snacks. I'm not talking about one or two but 10-20 most nights with no direction from parents or staff.
Is this still the situation?
While I was there Sunday and Monday last week I saw no children at all in lounge, but really wasn't looking too hard
Not say it couldn't happen?

I didn't get a welcome letter at all as my questions were addressed by lounge staff..
Old Jul 14, 2018, 9:47 pm
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
In my tens of stays at this property over the past 7 years, I think I noticed children in the lounge once or twice. My stays have been weekday nights and not during holiday seasons.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by yosithezet
In my tens of stays at this property over the past 7 years, I think I noticed children in the lounge once or twice. My stays have been weekday nights and not during holiday seasons.
I've never encountered boisterous kids in the lounge either, but there are myriad other reasons why SIKL has lost my and others' custom. Just have a look at Tripadvisor and read the gormless "management feedback" on the negative reviews. It's always the same template message in bad English, regardless of the reason for the complaint.

I have received a few such messages in email responses to my complaints in recent years and the insincerity, in a nation where sincerity is usually never lacking, really bugged me.

The last straw was last October when I signed lunch back to my room, and I got a rude call from the restaurant 90 minutes later saying the chargeback system had broken down, and insisting curtly that I go back to the restaurant immediately to settle the bill with cash or card. No apology, no sheepishness, nothing. And bear in mind that my credit card number was on my SPG profile which the hotel had, and they literally "knew where I lived". Naturally I refused, the exchange escalated and I haven't been back to SIKL since.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 2:47 am

Okay, I guess the wild children are not a problem, but I did say it was just one (of many) issue I had and it certainly sounds like the management issues that had myriad effects are still an issue
Old Jul 15, 2018, 7:22 am

Deleted: no longer relevant

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Oct 8, 2018 at 10:32 am
Old Jul 15, 2018, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by estnet
Okay, I guess the wild children are not a problem, but I did say it was just one (of many) issue I had and it certainly sounds like the management issues that had myriad effects are still an issue
Sorry @estnet, I wasn't saying they weren't, just that I hadn't seen them My last few stays were during the week, so I guess I missed the family staycation crowd.

@Kobetraveller, I wholly agree re the GM problems. I thought Chuck Abbott was excellent, and Stephan was doing his best despite the limitations and the rot in morale which was setting in amongst his middle management. I don't know what the current leadership is up to, but I don't get the vibe that they are going to revolutionise anything. And that's sad because that's exactly what's needed.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 3:37 pm

Ahhh... knowing the same owner owns the SR Langkawi explains a lot - only hotel I wouldn't go back to if they paid me!

Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
I've done around 60 nights as a Platinum and Ambassador level guest in this hotel since 2016 but very few over the last 12 months. I simply gave up as the best staff left, and customer service standards deteriorated markedly. The senior management staff are aware of the problems but don't seem to care.

The very experienced GM is very close to the owner who regularly stays in the hotel and also owns Sheraton Senggigi, Westin Langkawi and St Regis Langkawi.

Indeed they have begun a renovation of sorts which will take about a year.

I agree that this is a very poorly managed hotel. The EAM's TripAdvisor template replies are indicative of the level of customer service there. Staff morale is extremely low.

Over the last couple of years they did have two very competent Club Lounge Managers. Regular guests will recognize former managers K and F. K has left the hotel industry and last I heard F is now in the lobby. On my last visit Duty Manager R had taken over the CL Management which is when standards dropped quickly.

The renovations may well meet Marriott standards but the attitude and performance of the GM and EAM remain a huge issue, as does the quality and turnover of staff.
kodansha999 likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2018, 11:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Stayed hope 10+ years ago & loved it - service spectacular

Stayed here last year and hated it. Aside from rooms falling apart, the CL staff were indifferent to my presence & the breakfast area was the most chaotic I have ever seen.

​​​​​​​Appalling

I am staying far away from this place until renovations are complete & there are 6 months of good service reports

This and STR Langkawi just terrible

Will stay LM until the and maybe try STR KL
Old Mar 8, 2019, 4:27 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
This is quite entertaining.

i had an email from TA telling me my old review of this hotel had been deleted because it has undergone a refurbishment.

Sure enough, all the old reviews from before Feb are gone. There are now 13 reviews.

It must be an amazing renovation. Anyone stayed recently?
HollyGlen likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.