Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2018, 7:17 pm
glg

Originally Posted by robhakari
Preplanning for the Chicago Marathon next year (assuming I make it through the lottery). Am a Plat. Currently considering Blackstone due to location of the start and finish and great value for the points - 35k/nt instead of $598+taxes/nt. I'm assuming upgrades will be difficult to come by at most hotels that weekend. Are there any other hotels I should be looking at? A bit of a walk to the race isn't too bad, but no more than 3/4mi. Downtown Ren perhaps?
This is complete speculation, but I would guess you'd have a good chance at an upgrade. Marathon is effectively a big tourist weekend and most big tourist weekends are a heck of a lot easier than during the week when most travelers are business. ie, most runners and spectators aren't going to be elites.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:59 pm

Programs: UA Gold,Delta Gold Bonvoy Titanium Elite, HH Diamond , AA Platinum, EENational, Hyatt Globalist
Residence Inn Chicago Loop

Not bad value IMO for a cat 1-4 certificate in downtown Chicago. One of the nicer RI’s I have stayed at. Staff is very friendly and was upgraded to king suite from king studio.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: MR Plat Premier, IHG Spire, Hilton Diamond, Southwest CP
Looking to burn two Cat 1-4 certificates in downtown Chicago

Heading to Chicago with my family (spouse and one teenager) over Presidents Day weekend and have two free night certificates that I would like to burn given they will expire soon. We are wanting the following:
  • Room with a king bed and a pull out couch
  • Central to most of the tourist activities (Navy Pier, Michigan Ave shopping, Millennium Park, Daley Park, etc)
  • Pet Friendly - very small dog

There are certainly a ton of options and I wanted to get some input on which hotel I should consider booking. Right now, I'm deciding between the Residence Inn Chicago Loop and the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/River North locations. If anyone has an opinion on one of these or another suggestion for another 25K point hotel instead I would love the advice.

I'm a Plat Premier if that matters (typically it doesn't, but maybe I could swing free parking or something!). Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:13 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
I think you will like the River North location better than the loop. It is in an area full of activity with lots of food options. Recently I booked my wife into the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile. This hotel is two blocks from the Drake and the Westin Michigan Avenue which is a great location.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 7:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The loop is likely to be fairly deserted over the weekend. My preference would be near north Michigan, but it would help if you were to supply a complete list of Starriott properties in Chicago that are category 4-. There might be better choices than RIs, which won't have any evening offerings over a holiday weekend and are likely to be unpleasantly mobbed at breakfast.

How will you arrive in Chicago? It makes a difference if you'll have a car, or even whether you're arriving into ORD or MDW.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
I can’t speak to the pet question, but I definitely agree that the River North location is superior than the Loop location for tourist and related purposes (shopping/dining). The other 25k hotels in downtown Chicago are all CY/FFI and similars. I have stayed in many of them and I think the RI River North is as good or better than the others in that level.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 9:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Used to live in Chicago in this general area (between the Hyatt Regency and Swissotel to be exact). The RI Loop is a dead zone after hours and on the weekend and at least when I lived there, it wasn't a place you wanted to spend too much time in. The RI Mag Mile is a little high up (it's a very great place to live but not quite as good for touristing) but as long as you are open to a little bit of walking it's still very well located. RI River North is the best location of the 3 IMO.

No idea on pets for any of them -- would rule out RI Loop unless it's the only one to accept pets. After that would choose RI River North but would be perfectly content with RI Mag Mile if it's the only one that accepts pets (again no idea on that).

Whichever you choose, there's a very good Italian place nearby called Quartino's (at least it was good when I last visited 4 years ago so I guess YMMV) that does small plates and pizzas.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Alofts are a good choice but no pull-out bed eliminate them for your needs
Old Jan 22, 2019, 3:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Alofts are a good choice but no pull-out bed eliminate them for your needs
But you can book an aloft room with two queen beds.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:34 am

Originally Posted by dcchi
I can’t speak to the pet question, but I definitely agree that the River North location is superior than the Loop location for tourist and related purposes (shopping/dining). The other 25k hotels in downtown Chicago are all CY/FFI and similars. I have stayed in many of them and I think the RI River North is as good or better than the others in that level.
Thanks! How would you compare this hotel to the RI Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile location in terms of proximity to stuff?
Old Jan 22, 2019, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
River North/Magnificent Mile = proximity to everything fun/social and major transit lines. Slightly less proximate to museums but still easily reached.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 6:04 am

Thanks all for the advice. Think I'm zeroing in on the RI River North as it checks off the boxes we are looking for.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Need Hotel Advice for Chicago

Dear FT Community,

I am headed to Chicago for one night in March and am trying to decide which of Marriott's properties to stay at. Location doesn't really matter, just looking for a clean and luxurious hotel with good service. I have 40,000 points to work with (so, unfortunately, the Ritz-Carlton is not an option this time). Could someone provide insight into the following hotels, and which is the "best": JW Marriott, Renaissance, Marriott Mag Mile, The Gwen (Luxury Collection)? Additionally, I am a Platinum Premier (being rebranded Titanium Bonvoy) member, so I am looking to get optimal breakfast and UPGRADE benefits. Is one property significantly better than the others? Thanks in advance for the help!
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Gwen is great. Probably the most beautiful property in Chicago. Great location. $14 credit at breakfast (up to 2 people per room) which gets you most of what's on the menu. Don't bother with your other ones.
JackFranchino likes this.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite / Delta Platinum / United Silver
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Gwen is great. Probably the most beautiful property in Chicago. Great location. $14 credit at breakfast (up to 2 people per room) which gets you most of what's on the menu. Don't bother with your other ones.
Thanks! Any idea of what to expect for upgrades?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.