Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Morning all (on the East Coast). Curious to see answers to this one - going for a mini staycation for a night away from the kids next Sunday, 5/21. I want to book a hotel with no real consideration for location (as long as it's in Chicago) - more importantly is a) the soft product and b) likelihood of upgrade (Gold, thanks to SPG match). I think I've narrowed it down to the JW Marriott, Renaissance Downtown, and Renaissance Blackstone (on points) but am curious to get opinions on where to stay. She's pregnant, so nightlife isn't necessary, and we'll be train-ing into/out of the city (from the north), so parking isn't important, either. Dinner is on Randolph, Near West, so we'll have to Uber from pretty much anywhere anyway. Thanks in advance!
The Renaissance is by far our favorite both for location and upgrade chances. As a Gold, I've always had good luck upgrading to either a River View or a Superior Room. On one lucky occasion, the hotel manager upgraded us to the Presidential Suite for our anniversary.

We stayed at the JW once. No upgrades and nothing special in terms of service.

The Blackstone is nice, but very much out of the way as compared to the others. We received a nice room upgrade, but had a poor experience at the hotel restaurant (I posted earlier in the thread on the experience...made for an interesting debate). It's a perfect location if you're doing Grant Park runs, though!

Last edited by rflor; May 15, 2017 at 3:50 pm Reason: Typos
Old May 15, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: LTP, PP
I echo the REN Downtown, great upgrade, decent lounge, good location. Mag Mile FS sucked.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 3:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Marriott announced: "Chicago’s Notable Blackstone Hotel Joins Autograph Collection Hotels."

http://news.marriott.com/2017/06/chi...ection-hotels/

This hotel has been Renaissance Blackstone since 2008. So this is a rebranding from one full-service Marriott brand to another.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Horace
Marriott announced: "Chicago’s Notable Blackstone Hotel Joins Autograph Collection Hotels."

http://news.marriott.com/2017/06/chi...ection-hotels/

This hotel has been Renaissance Blackstone since 2008. So this is a rebranding from one full-service Marriott brand to another.
Thanks for the heads up. I usually check Marriott News Center each morning, but this release came out after I checked. What will be interesting (and I'll call in a few days to find out) is what they'll do re: lounge. The Ren had one. Will they close it now that it's Auto Col?

Cheers.
Old Jul 6, 2017, 7:20 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
I just booked a one-night stay at the Renaissance, and a pop-up window indicated:

"Rooms with 2 queen beds are not available on Friday and Saturday nights May 26-September 4 2017".

I am staying on a Thursday and need the two Queens, so will email them in advance to make sure they are not drifting on their schedule.

Anyone know what they are doing? Renovations?
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Gold
We're coming to Chicago for 3 nights in October (over a weekend) on the way back from my business trip in Utah.

How is the Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection for a family with a 1 year old? Seems very well recommended in this thread.

My wife has been longing to see Chicago so I want to make sure we are in a good location and a nice hotel, but also take advantage of my Marriott status and lounge usage.

A friend keeps pushing for the Langham but I'd rather stick with Marriott to use the status.

Thanks!
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:37 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by cussmuppet
We're coming to Chicago for 3 nights in October (over a weekend) on the way back from my business trip in Utah.

How is the Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection for a family with a 1 year old? Seems very well recommended in this thread.

My wife has been longing to see Chicago so I want to make sure we are in a good location and a nice hotel, but also take advantage of my Marriott status and lounge usage.

A friend keeps pushing for the Langham but I'd rather stick with Marriott to use the status.

Thanks!
Its a nice hotel. In a good area next to house of blues.

I would check out EMC2. Its a new Marriott hotel in chicago.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 8:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cussmuppet

Thanks!
Originally Posted by t1c
Its a nice hotel. In a good area next to house of blues.

I would check out EMC2. Its a new Marriott hotel in chicago.
Hotel Chicago's exec lounge is open for brekkie only on weekends.
EMC2 doesn't have an exec lounge, so you'll get cont'l brekkie in the restaurant.

Both are in good locations.

Cheers.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Marriott Gold
Thanks, I'll check out the EMC2
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:47 pm

Programs: United - Silver; Marriott- Platinum
Chicago Trip - What property to book

Hey all,

I've been tasked with booking the hotel for my family and I to stay at over the Thanksgiving holiday in Chicago.

Looking at higher end properties like the JW, W, Hotel Chicago, and the like and am having difficulty narrowing down to which hotel to stay at.

It is four adults total; 1 room with a king and 1 with 2 doubles/queens. What kind of upgrade and recognition have other Platinums experienced with some of those hotels? Is one more platinum friendly than others?

I also was looking at the Ritz Carlton but most of their rates are for 1 king and not 2 queens?

Since I'm the resident traveler in my family they have high expectations and I want to live up to them!
Old Sep 6, 2017, 9:51 pm

Please review the countless existing threads on the Chicago properties you mentioned, and then let us know which of your questions (if any) remain unanswered.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 6:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by michranger
Hey all,

I've been tasked with booking the hotel for my family and I to stay at over the Thanksgiving holiday in Chicago.

Looking at higher end properties like the JW, W, Hotel Chicago, and the like and am having difficulty narrowing down to which hotel to stay at.

It is four adults total; 1 room with a king and 1 with 2 doubles/queens. What kind of upgrade and recognition have other Platinums experienced with some of those hotels? Is one more platinum friendly than others?

I also was looking at the Ritz Carlton but most of their rates are for 1 king and not 2 queens?

Since I'm the resident traveler in my family they have high expectations and I want to live up to them!
Wow. Joined FT in 2014 and this is only your 2nd post? Impressive. I can't keep quiet that long... LOL

I have found that holiday times in Chicago can have some great rates at some properties, especially if you are comfortable with advanced purchase rates. (I assume you are considering paid stays and not award nights?).

I have stayed many times at Hotel Chicago (on Dearborn) with some great holiday rates. Very good Plat recognition and lounge.

I hear good things about the Renn, but it has always been much more expensive when I have looked.

There is an existing "mega thread" on Chicago Marriotts here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...hicago-il.html

Suggest you take a look at the last couple of pages of that thread, look into available rates at your target properties, and should have a good idea of where to book.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:10 am

Stay away from the Marriott Miracle Mile. The Downtown REN right on the river treated me wonderfully. The Sheraton was so so. That's my only recent experiences.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:27 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by joshua362
Stay away from the Marriott Miracle Mile. The Downtown REN right on the river treated me wonderfully. The Sheraton was so so. That's my only recent experiences.
I'll second the opinions here on both the Marriott Magnificent Mile and the Renaissance Downtown - former was awful when I stayed (quite a few years ago now, though) and the latter was excellent.
Old Sep 7, 2017, 7:44 am

My Marriott Magnificent Mile stay was less than a year ago and things definitely have not improved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.