Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2022, 12:43 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Assuming full-service, you'll want The Gwen.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:43 pm

1. Do you expect to have a car or do you expect to rely on walking and public transportation? No car. All ubers and public transport
2. Is a typical hotel room with two double or queen beds sufficient? Yes
3. What is your price range per night? Up to 500 a night
4. Are "all the touristy things" you want to do in the city? The big touristy stuff (The Bean, Mag Mile, Zoo, Pier, Aquarium, - open to ideas)
5. Considering Omicron, are you planning on museums and other indoor attractions? Yes
6. How long will you be in Chicago?[/QUOTE] 3 or 4 days

Originally Posted by Horace
joshtyler,

You might get better advice if you answer these questions:

1. Do you expect to have a car or do you expect to rely on walking and public transportation?
2. Is a typical hotel room with two double or queen beds sufficient?
3. What is your price range per night?
4. Are "all the touristy things" you want to do in the city?
5. Considering Omicron, are you planning on museums and other indoor attractions?
6. How long will you be in Chicago?
Old Jan 6, 2022, 2:47 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by joshtyler
1. Do you expect to have a car or do you expect to rely on walking and public transportation? No car. All ubers and public transport
2. Is a typical hotel room with two double or queen beds sufficient? Yes
3. What is your price range per night? Up to 500 a night
4. Are "all the touristy things" you want to do in the city? The big touristy stuff (The Bean, Mag Mile, Zoo, Pier, Aquarium, - open to ideas)
5. Considering Omicron, are you planning on museums and other indoor attractions? Yes
6. How long will you be in Chicago? 3 or 4 days
Based on your price range, I would say The Gwen. You could probably do the Ritz, too, but if you're going to be out in the city doing things all day, it doesn't make sense to pay 2x the rate at the Ritz when The Gwen is just as nice in most important aspects. Very walkable to most Downtown attractions (Bean, Navy Pier) and is attached to one of the big malls on Mag Mile (North Bridge), even though it's physically a block over.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: UA Silver, whatever the Amex plat gets me and somehow still IHG Diamond after 3 years of no nights
Blackstone is closest to the museums (and sort of the Bean). I only mention it because proximity is probably where it's appeal ends. I can honestly say I've never seen a child there in the many times I've stayed there. More of a South Loop business hotel. If you end up there on a weekend, the Loop (Blackstone is technically South Loop) is going to be a ghost town. You are probably better off with the properties near the Gwen/Westin. The Renaissance is probably the only property south of the river I'd consider based on what you have shared.

Depending on your situation, you might be able to do Shedd/Field and probably a quick stop at the Bean in the same day. If the kid(s) are old enough, they might enjoy the architecture river cruise. I think I've done it 4 times in the past 5 years.

Museum of Science and Industry is really cool (coming from a childless person in his late 30s who has taken teen nephews). U-505 exhibit add-on is also worth it, IMO. It's down in Hyde Park though, which could be a challenge to get to depending on your tolerance for travel.
Old Jan 6, 2022, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by mpw81
Blackstone is closest to the museums (and sort of the Bean). I only mention it because proximity is probably where it's appeal ends. I can honestly say I've never seen a child there in the many times I've stayed there. More of a South Loop business hotel. If you end up there on a weekend, the Loop (Blackstone is technically South Loop) is going to be a ghost town. You are probably better off with the properties near the Gwen/Westin. The Renaissance is probably the only property south of the river I'd consider based on what you have shared.

Depending on your situation, you might be able to do Shedd/Field and probably a quick stop at the Bean in the same day. If the kid(s) are old enough, they might enjoy the architecture river cruise. I think I've done it 4 times in the past 5 years.

Museum of Science and Industry is really cool (coming from a childless person in his late 30s who has taken teen nephews). U-505 exhibit add-on is also worth it, IMO. It's down in Hyde Park though, which could be a challenge to get to depending on your tolerance for travel.
WRT suggestions for activities around Chicagoland for families with toddlers, I'd post over in the Midwest forum. Personally, as a dad who's (three) kids are now grown, I really wouldn't recommend the Museum of Science and Industry for toddlers. Maybe the Shedd and maybe the Bean. Much of the activities will be driven by the willingness to either push said toddlers around everywhere or their willingness to do some walking and exploring.

WRT to a Marriott Bonvoy family hotel and your willingness to pack up all of the kids stuff, call for an Uber and/or wait on a bus or take the L, stuff all of their considered necessary stuff into your transportation selection, keep them occupied, get to your stop, unpack their stuff from said transport vehicle/conveyance, set up the strollers/prams and repack, push the younguns to the desired sightseeing locale, unstrap them from their strollers/prams, keep control (if possible) of both toddlers, the strollers/prams/diaper bags/coats/etc., etc., etc., I don't think that we can give you any great ideas without either a preferred central location from which your family will explore Chicago or what you really want to see.

Good luck.

David
Old Jan 8, 2022, 8:58 am

Courtyard Chicago River North - construction notice email - options

I have a stay here next week, reserved a few weeks ago, with no notice during the reservation process that substantial construction and full water shut off is happening while I'm there. Yesterday I received an email from Chase Cherney CHIWB Leadership Team with all the details about no daytime water and tile and concrete demolition noise during the day. Loyalty Services couldn't walk me to another North Loop property. What options does a Gold Elite have?
Old Jan 8, 2022, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Marriott - the company that truly hates its most loyal members. SMH but not surprising.

January in Chicago is about as low demand as it gets. No shortage of plenty of good options in the ~$100-150 range.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 1:40 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mpw81
Blackstone is closest to the museums (and sort of the Bean). I only mention it because proximity is probably where it's appeal ends.
Actually, Le Méridien Essex Chicago is the closest. It's a block south of The Blackstone, Autograph Collection.

Le Méridien Essex Chicago is near the Shedd Aquarium and the Field Museum. These are excellent attractions that young children are likely to enjoy. I've never stayed at the Essex, but I like its mid-century character.

It seems that whenever there's a question about picking a Chicago hotel, the automatic answer is The Gwen, a Luxury Collection Hotel. It's great location, especially with all the restaurants in the area. I just wonder if it's the best location and best hotel for a family with toddlers.

Originally Posted by UA-NYC
January in Chicago is about as low demand as it gets. No shortage of plenty of good options in the ~$100-150 range.
The OP of the current discussion, @joshtyler, is traveling in April.
Old Jan 8, 2022, 3:41 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by etna9726b
Courtyard Chicago River North - construction notice email - options

I have a stay here next week, reserved a few weeks ago, with no notice during the reservation process that substantial construction and full water shut off is happening while I'm there. Yesterday I received an email from Chase Cherney CHIWB Leadership Team with all the details about no daytime water and tile and concrete demolition noise during the day. Loyalty Services couldn't walk me to another North Loop property. What options does a Gold Elite have?
Stayed there in September for a week. The email they sent 2 days before had gone to spam folder. Loud noises and water shut off during the day. After I complained, hotel credited 5,000 points.
Old Jan 31, 2022, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Chicago: Meridien or Blackstone

Any thoughts as to pros and cons of these two Autograph hotels in Grant Park Chicago?

5 day stay in late April..
Old Jan 31, 2022, 10:00 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by cmculp
Any thoughts as to pros and cons of these two Autograph hotels in Grant Park Chicago?

5 day stay in late April..
I've visited Le Méridien Essex Chicago and The Blackstone, Autograph Collection, but I haven't stayed at either. Perhaps someone else can provide advice as an actual hotel guest at both.

Le Méridien Essex Chicago is not an Autograph Collection hotel. Le Méridien is its own Marriott Bonvoy brand. It used to be the Essex Inn. In 2019, it was renovated to become the Essex Hotel. It only joined Le Méridien (and thus Marriott Bonvoy) in April 2021.

The Blackstone, Autograph Collection is the former Blackstone Renaissance Chicago Hotel. It switched brands in 2017.

The two hotels are near each other. They are separated by the huge Hilton Chicago, which takes up a whole city block.

If I had to pick one for myself and the price were the same, I would lean toward Le Méridien Essex Chicago. I like its mid-century architecture and that it was more recently renovated. I'm sure both are good hotels.

I would take one more step before making a final decision: I would call each to see how each is currently handling breakfast for Platinum Elite and above. Based on brand standards, Le Méridien should provide daily breakfast in the restaurant for member +1 as a Welcome Gift choice. Autograph Collection should provide breakfast for member +1 in the Executive Lounge (or continental breakfast in the restaurant if the lounge os closed), and, separately, your choice of 1000 points or a $10 F&B credit as a Welcome Gift. But with Covid closings, you won't really know unless you call.
dgreen12 likes this.

Last edited by Horace; Jan 31, 2022 at 10:06 pm
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:55 am

Programs: UA 1K /2mm / Marriott Lifetime Titanium , Hilton Diamond
Very helpful - thank you. I agree with you about breakfast verification prior to deciding….I do that routinely. Harder to know what will be happening 2 months out.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by DELee
WRT suggestions for activities around Chicagoland for families with toddlers, I'd post over in the Midwest forum. Personally, as a dad who's (three) kids are now grown, I really wouldn't recommend the Museum of Science and Industry for toddlers. Maybe the Shedd and maybe the Bean. Much of the activities will be driven by the willingness to either push said toddlers around everywhere or their willingness to do some walking and exploring.

WRT to a Marriott Bonvoy family hotel and your willingness to pack up all of the kids stuff, call for an Uber and/or wait on a bus or take the L, stuff all of their considered necessary stuff into your transportation selection, keep them occupied, get to your stop, unpack their stuff from said transport vehicle/conveyance, set up the strollers/prams and repack, push the younguns to the desired sightseeing locale, unstrap them from their strollers/prams, keep control (if possible) of both toddlers, the strollers/prams/diaper bags/coats/etc., etc., etc., I don't think that we can give you any great ideas without either a preferred central location from which your family will explore Chicago or what you really want to see.

Good luck.

David
My toddler loved our recent visit to the MSI. The giant model train and the restored 727 exhibit were her favorites.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by tda1986
My toddler loved our recent visit to the MSI. The giant model train and the restored 727 exhibit were her favorites.
Well, then as a Chicagoland native with a toddler, do you have any recommendations for suggestions for families with toddlers to go visit?

David
Old Feb 7, 2022, 1:57 pm

Looks like the St Regis is delayed until end of summer 2022

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.