Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Hide Wikipost
Old Jan 27, 19, 9:49 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Wiki Link
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Old Sep 7, 17, 8:49 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by joshua362 View Post
My Marriott Magnificent Mile stay was less than a year ago and things definitely have not improved.
i will respectfully disagree. Have stayed here probably 6 times in last two years, as both a Gold and Plat. It can get busy when there is a convention going on, but that isn't likely to be an issue over a holiday. I have always been treated well. Their remodeled rooms are nice, and I've always been given early check in and late check out without issue. The lobby bar gets busy, but I like the vibe and for a downtown hotel, beer prices are not absurd IMO.
Old Sep 7, 17, 9:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
If lounge access is important, often hotels will close their lounges over the holidays so the OP will need to check into that. Also, the Mag Mile is one of the 13 properties in the US that is not open on the weekends/no breakfast option/1,000 pts/night instead.

Cheers.
Old Sep 7, 17, 11:12 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by michranger View Post
Looking at higher end properties like the JW, W, Hotel Chicago, and the like and am having difficulty narrowing down to which hotel to stay at.
I think the answer would depend on what you plan to do in Chicago, what you'd like to have in walking distance, and what rates are available for the type of room that you're looking for.

For example, the JW Marriott and the W Chicago City Center are across the street from each other in the financial center of the Loop. The Art Institute of Chicago (great art museum) and the Willis/Sears Tower Skydeck (the view from the John Hancock Building is better) are each just a few blocks away -- but it's an area with few restaurants, and not much activity outside of weekday business hours. Then again, these two hotels are convenient to the Lyric Opera and the big theaters with Broadway shows, if your plans include such shows.

I have't been in a room at the Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection, the new "art and science" boutique hotel just off North Michigan Avenue, but I really liked the look of the lobby and restaurant. The location is spectacular for access on foot to Navy Pier, the Richard H. Driehaus Museum, architectural sightseeing boats, Eataly, enough good restaurants to last more than month without repeating, the John Hancock Building, and the shopping and other other activity of North Michigan Avenue. Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago are just a mile south, down Michigan Avenue; a fun walk or a quick bus ride.

Last edited by Horace; Sep 7, 17 at 11:59 am
Old Sep 7, 17, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by Horace View Post
I have't been in a room at the Hotel EMC2, Autograph Collection, the new "art and science" boutique hotel just off North Michigan Avenue, but I really liked the look of the lobby and restaurant. The location is spectacular for access on foot to Navy Pier, the Richard H. Driehaus Museum, architectural sightseeing boats, Eataly, enough good restaurants to last more than month without repeating, the John Hancock Building, and the shopping and other other activity of North Michigan Avenue. Millennium Park and the Art Institute of Chicago are just a mile south, down Michigan Avenue; a fun walk or a quick bus ride.
I stayed there last weekend - the rooms are very nice, but it really is a great experience...you have to experience actually texting the front desk to have some more shampoo delivered and a robot like R2D2 comes up to deliver anything you need, it really is something awesome! Like you said though, the location is great - it's a quiet block near the hospital. 2 min walk to Michigan Ave, 5 min walk to beach - and tons of restaurants nearby - I'd highly recommend!
Old Sep 7, 17, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA P DL MR UA
Sorry-skipped over that this was the Marriott thread and threw a non-Marriott suggestion out there.

Last edited by KBRDU; Sep 7, 17 at 6:55 pm Reason: Rec'd a non-Marriott property
Old Oct 25, 17, 10:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, UA .4 MM, Marriott Gold, Nexus, GE, TSA Pre
Originally Posted by kerrigjl View Post
Morning all (on the East Coast). Curious to see answers to this one - going for a mini staycation for a night away from the kids next Sunday, 5/21. I want to book a hotel with no real consideration for location (as long as it's in Chicago) - more importantly is a) the soft product and b) likelihood of upgrade (Gold, thanks to SPG match). I think I've narrowed it down to the JW Marriott, Renaissance Downtown, and Renaissance Blackstone (on points) but am curious to get opinions on where to stay. She's pregnant, so nightlife isn't necessary, and we'll be train-ing into/out of the city (from the north), so parking isn't important, either. Dinner is on Randolph, Near West, so we'll have to Uber from pretty much anywhere anyway. Thanks in advance!
Which property did you end up staying with? I'll be in Chicago for three nights next month and booked with the Renaissance. I'm Gold w/ Marriott and quite frankly I didn't even think about the possibility of an upgrade. I've stayed at the Renaissance before, albeit with points and a river view - so I'm excited to get back.
Old Nov 8, 17, 2:51 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, UA Gold, Marriott Platinum Premier, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Langham Voyager
JW Marriott Gold Treatment

Staying at the JW Chicago this Friday evening as a Marriott gold. Does anyone know their typical gold upgrade? Also, if I check in before my room is ready, would I have access to the executive lounge before I can access my room?

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 9, 17, 7:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by ORDAAFlyer296 View Post
Staying at the JW Chicago this Friday evening as a Marriott gold. Does anyone know their typical gold upgrade? Also, if I check in before my room is ready, would I have access to the executive lounge before I can access my room?

Thanks in advance!
Depends on what time you arrive & if the exec lounge is key accessible. It's open for brekkie only on the weekends, so it might close on Friday after breakfast & not re-open until Sat a.m. for breakfast.

Cheers.
Old Jun 26, 18, 6:59 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis Pref Plus
Where is the parking garage entrance for the Fairfield River North (60 W Illinois)? Is it on Illinois or off a side street?
Old Jun 26, 18, 9:40 am
glg

Originally Posted by rflor View Post
Where is the parking garage entrance for the Fairfield River North (60 W Illinois)? Is it on Illinois or off a side street?
I'm local, haven't stayed there. I've never noticed parking in that building. The website says "Off-site parking, fee: 16 USD hourly, 49 USD daily". There is a driveway between the door of the Hyatt Place next door and the Fairfield, but it appears to be under the Hyatt's building, so I suspect it's for the Hyatt's use only.

I would assume off-site means unconnected to the hotel in any way, so I'd pull up front first and drop bags/passengers. Call the hotel before to get the parking location or just ask when you get there.

Also, it may be worth checking into parking rates in the area. 49 seems a little high, but I avoid parking in that area, so my info may be out of date. ie, you may find something just as close as their recommended garage for cheaper.
Old Jun 26, 18, 10:12 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Avis Pref Plus
Originally Posted by glg View Post
I'm local, haven't stayed there. I've never noticed parking in that building. The website says "Off-site parking, fee: 16 USD hourly, 49 USD daily". There is a driveway between the door of the Hyatt Place next door and the Fairfield, but it appears to be under the Hyatt's building, so I suspect it's for the Hyatt's use only.

I would assume off-site means unconnected to the hotel in any way, so I'd pull up front first and drop bags/passengers. Call the hotel before to get the parking location or just ask when you get there.
Yes, the "off-site" description prompted my post as I know how creative Chicago hotel parking garage locations can be.

Given it's River North, $49 doesn't surprise me. Chicago parking rates show no signs of slowing down any time soon...

I'll keep the thread posted on what I discover.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:54 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premiere (LTPP), UA Silver, National Executive
Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well. Especially true in River North (where the cheaper garages seem to be at the Sterling and 50 E Ohio, at least when we're there).
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum Premiere (LTPP), UA Silver, National Executive
At the SHS River North for a couple nights now (on Dearborn). This is one of our go-to hotels for our family staycations downtown as the rates seem to be good and the location as well. However, I'd note that the rooms are getting a little tired it seems, especially the sofabed/couch and bathroom. The free breakfast was great for SHSs, and we like the location.
Old Sep 17, 18, 5:08 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

How is the Platinum recognition at the EMC2? Will be there for a weekend so just planning a fun trip to catch up with an old friend. We will be hitting lots of bars and restaurants. Will I get any sort of comp breakfast?
Old Nov 11, 18, 6:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
Preplanning for the Chicago Marathon next year (assuming I make it through the lottery). Am a Plat. Currently considering Blackstone due to location of the start and finish and great value for the points - 35k/nt instead of $598+taxes/nt. I'm assuming upgrades will be difficult to come by at most hotels that weekend. Are there any other hotels I should be looking at? A bit of a walk to the race isn't too bad, but no more than 3/4mi. Downtown Ren perhaps?

Search this Thread