Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Best Cat 7 for 4 day Tourist trip?

My wife and 2 of her friends are headed to Chicago for a 4 day girls trip in May. With all decent hotels being priced being pretty high she's looking at using some of her points for their hotel. The plan is to do a Cat 7 for 3 nights and then use one of her free Cat 5 nights at a Airport hotel on the last night since they have a early morning departure. We realize this may not be the "best" use of points, but it is what it is.

So, getting past that, she's looking at Residence Inn Downtown/Magnificent Mile.

Also, are there any there worth the incremental 20k points bump to next category for a much better experience for the ladies?
Old Mar 16, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile or Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection?

I'll be accompanying Mrs Sofasurfer on a work trip in May (DDW at McCormick Place), and have been asked to look at rooms for us and a colleague of hers (who won't have status).

The available options are:
- Marriott Downtown Magnificent Mile
- Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection

(others are full, pesky colleague dragger their heels on making a decision about them attending..)

We'll be there Friday-Tuesday, so I understand there's no lounge access at the Marriott over the weekend (is the 1000 points per day, or per stay?). I think the Autograph now has some kind of weekend breakfast provision. I assume that I'll get this perk for me and the Mrs as I'm Gold (she's Silver), but the other person (who I don't think has status) will get anything, even if I book both rooms under my account... or might we have a better chance at one property over the other?

The Concierge Lounge sounds a *lot* better at the Marriott, looks like the gym facilities are about even (I just tend to get on an elliptical for half an hour, so I think both offer that).

Both appear to be on the shuttle route, so I think they'll be OK with that.

Apparently, the Autograph seems to offer free entry to House of Blues.

I may need to do some work while I'm there, and can't tell if the refurbished rooms at the Marriott actually have a desk and chair now..? Would the Autograph be better for working and hanging out in-room?

I've never been to Chicago before, so plan to explore the city (but will need to do a little work while I'm away, so some kind of desk space is important - unless the lounge is a feasible option).

There doesn't seem to be much between the two, so would appreciate any input from people that have stayed at both!

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
You won't get free brekkie at Mag Mile on the weekend (the 1,000 pts is per night). You will at Hotel Chicago.

Cheers.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I have been staying at the Hotel Chicago a lot recently and really like it. Preferred over the Mag Mile FS.

I posted some pics of the standard room and lounge, which you may have already seen in the specific thread...http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/26142411-post29.html

Very nice desk setup area for working in the room. I prefer the lounge (Club Maxwell) at HC over the Mag Mile, for the days you are there when open.
Old Mar 17, 2017, 11:18 am

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Thanks, SkiAdcock and goodeats21 - really appreciate your help ^

Just booked us in to Hotel Chicago.
Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:00 pm

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
You won't get free brekkie at Mag Mile on the weekend (the 1,000 pts is per night). You will at Hotel Chicago.

Cheers.
I'm confused I thought Hotel Chicago being part of the AC brand offered no breakfast?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-downtown.html
Old Apr 15, 2017, 8:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
I'm confused I thought Hotel Chicago being part of the AC brand offered no breakfast?

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...-downtown.html
My bad. You're right. I was thinking the Hotel Chicago was part of the Autograph Collection, but it's the Hotel Chicago Downtown that's part of Autograph, not Hotel Chicago. Geesh - you'd think Marriott wouldn't name two properties so similar.

Cheers.
Old Apr 15, 2017, 2:39 pm

Programs: Marrtiot, Delta
Hows the JW Marriott Chicago? I'll be there next week with the wife for a couple of days. I picked it since its close to the train station.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 10:53 pm

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Any recent experiences at the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile or Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Loop?

I'll be going to Lincoln Zoo, Navy Pier, Shedd, Hancock, Mag Mile, Millenium Park, etc. Seems like the location of the Residence Inn Magnificent Mile is better but reviews seem to suggest that the Residence Inn Loop is the newer and better hotel.

The Mag Mile one used to offer the evening social previously but based on TA reviews it has been discontinued. The Loop does not offer it either.

I'll be using points. Both are now cat 6 properties.

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2017, 11:52 am
glg

Originally Posted by dickey1331
Hows the JW Marriott Chicago? I'll be there next week with the wife for a couple of days. I picked it since its close to the train station.
Depends on what you're trying to do/see. It's in a very businessy section of the loop, gets pretty dead at night. Most of the restaurants around there are lunch places that close up by 5. By train station, I'm guessing you're coming in Amtrak to Union Station? If you're coming as a tourist, I'd suggest properties a little farther north as it'll put you closer to sights and restaurants.

Shoot, this may be too late, since your next week was last week.
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:05 pm
glg

Originally Posted by piyush
Any recent experiences at the Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Magnificent Mile or Residence Inn Chicago Downtown/Loop?

I'll be going to Lincoln Zoo, Navy Pier, Shedd, Hancock, Mag Mile, Millenium Park, etc. Seems like the location of the Residence Inn Magnificent Mile is better but reviews seem to suggest that the Residence Inn Loop is the newer and better hotel.

The Mag Mile one used to offer the evening social previously but based on TA reviews it has been discontinued. The Loop does not offer it either.

I'll be using points. Both are now cat 6 properties.
I'm local, so don't have experience at either place, but you're correct that location is definitely better at the Mag Mile location. What I said about the JW just above this applies to the Residence Loop as well, it's on Lasalle, pretty businessy part of the loop, not much close by in the way of restaurants, etc. It's a little better being a little closer to some of the theaters and to River North.

That said, it's not difficult to get to any of your destinations from the Loop location. If you use buses (get a Ventra card from an L station or use a contactless credit card), you pretty much can get to any of those locations by just walking less than 3 blocks and getting a bus.

Zoo - get 156 on Lasalle on a weekday or walk over to Dearborn and get 151 anytime, either drops you at the front door of the zoo. Use the second zoo stop though, the first one is for the petting zoo/farm, second one is the main entrance.
Pier - 124 on Washington will take you direct to Navy Pier
Hancock/Mag Mile - 157 on Washington takes you north on weekdays or 151 from Dearborn anytime
Museum Campus (Shedd, Field, Adler) - 146 on State goes to all Museum Campus locations
Millennium Park - walk straight down Madison 6 blocks or grab a bus on Washington
Old Apr 30, 2017, 12:48 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
As already noted, The Hotel Chicago Downtown, Autograph Collection and The AC Hotel Chicago Downtown are two entirely different hotels.

Autograph Collection and AC Hotels are two entirely different brands.

Autograph Collection is a full-service brand for hotels that want to maintain an independent identity. Its one of five Marriott brands in the Rewards system that provides the lounge/breakfast benefit to Gold Elite and Platinum Elite members of Rewards.

AC Hotels is a "distinctive" select service brand. Think of it as hip, European style cousin of Courtyard by Marriott.
Old May 2, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: BD, DL, UA, AA, Marriott, SPG
Originally Posted by glg
I'm local, so don't have experience at either place, but you're correct that location is definitely better at the Mag Mile location. What I said about the JW just above this applies to the Residence Loop as well, it's on Lasalle, pretty businessy part of the loop, not much close by in the way of restaurants, etc. It's a little better being a little closer to some of the theaters and to River North.

That said, it's not difficult to get to any of your destinations from the Loop location. If you use buses (get a Ventra card from an L station or use a contactless credit card), you pretty much can get to any of those locations by just walking less than 3 blocks and getting a bus.

Zoo - get 156 on Lasalle on a weekday or walk over to Dearborn and get 151 anytime, either drops you at the front door of the zoo. Use the second zoo stop though, the first one is for the petting zoo/farm, second one is the main entrance.
Pier - 124 on Washington will take you direct to Navy Pier
Hancock/Mag Mile - 157 on Washington takes you north on weekdays or 151 from Dearborn anytime
Museum Campus (Shedd, Field, Adler) - 146 on State goes to all Museum Campus locations
Millennium Park - walk straight down Madison 6 blocks or grab a bus on Washington
Thanks a lot glg! Very helpful . We'll probably just go with the Mag Mile one. Logic being how much can one RI differ from another !

Thanks again.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:50 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, UA Silver, RR A-List
Morning all (on the East Coast). Curious to see answers to this one - going for a mini staycation for a night away from the kids next Sunday, 5/21. I want to book a hotel with no real consideration for location (as long as it's in Chicago) - more importantly is a) the soft product and b) likelihood of upgrade (Gold, thanks to SPG match). I think I've narrowed it down to the JW Marriott, Renaissance Downtown, and Renaissance Blackstone (on points) but am curious to get opinions on where to stay. She's pregnant, so nightlife isn't necessary, and we'll be train-ing into/out of the city (from the north), so parking isn't important, either. Dinner is on Randolph, Near West, so we'll have to Uber from pretty much anywhere anyway. Thanks in advance!
Old May 15, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, UA Silver (via Marriott)
Originally Posted by kerrigjl
Morning all (on the East Coast). Curious to see answers to this one - going for a mini staycation for a night away from the kids next Sunday, 5/21. I want to book a hotel with no real consideration for location (as long as it's in Chicago) - more importantly is a) the soft product and b) likelihood of upgrade (Gold, thanks to SPG match). I think I've narrowed it down to the JW Marriott, Renaissance Downtown, and Renaissance Blackstone (on points) but am curious to get opinions on where to stay. She's pregnant, so nightlife isn't necessary, and we'll be train-ing into/out of the city (from the north), so parking isn't important, either. Dinner is on Randolph, Near West, so we'll have to Uber from pretty much anywhere anyway. Thanks in advance!
I'm a PP, so my experience will be different, but I got an excellent suite upgrade at the Renaissance Downtown when I stayed there and got no upgrade whatsoever at the JW when I was there. The views are a lot better from the Ren as well (mine overlooked the river), and it's pretty close to the southern end of the Magnificent Mile along Michigan Ave. I have not stayed at the Blackstone, so I can't comment on it. Have a great trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.