Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2014, 11:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Just made a reservation for two nights next month. The JW was much less expensive than the FS, RI, SHS, Ren and/or CY. Is there something going on at the JW that would make we want to not stay there? Major construction? Protests outside the building? A swingers' convention?
So easy to answer when a month is mentioned vs specific dates If you can get the JW for much less than expensive than the other properties, unless there's something major it seems a bit of a no-brainer to stay there.

Cheers.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
So easy to answer when a month is mentioned vs specific dates If you can get the JW for much less than expensive than the other properties, unless there's something major it seems a bit of a no-brainer to stay there.

Cheers.
I am planning to stay there, as I usually do choose the least expensive property. It's April 10-12: Thu and Fri nights.
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:42 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Just made a reservation for two nights next month. The JW was much less expensive than the FS, RI, SHS, Ren and/or CY. Is there something going on at the JW that would make we want to not stay there? Major construction? Protests outside the building? A swingers' convention?
Maybe location?
Old Mar 19, 2014, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by ohmark
Maybe location?
These hotels are within walking distance of one another. I just want to make sure there isn't something happening in or around the JW that will make me wish I were staying elsewhere. I'll call and ask.
Old Mar 20, 2014, 2:54 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
These hotels are within walking distance of one another. I just want to make sure there isn't something happening in or around the JW that will make me wish I were staying elsewhere. I'll call and ask.
Okay. My thought was that the JW is in more of a business area and less of a touristy area, and that the reverse applies to many Marriott downtown Chicago properties. Of course, that also could result in higher rates, depending on the day of the week or time of the year. Did you get an explanation when you called?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by dw
Saw this pop up on the website; opening February 2014:

https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...ph-collection/

This property has changed flags quite a bit and is currently the Hotel Sax; it was previously independent, then part of Thompson; then a transition to Kimpton two years ago fell through so I believe it's been independent again for awhile.

I'm not sure why the property owners wouldn't keep the name, however, especially since it would retain some character under the Autograph Collection branding. "Hotel Chicago Downtown" is way too generic, IMHO, and sounds like a temporary name a property would adopt either after being kicked out of a chain's portfolio or after it no longer met brand standards. (I.E. Starwood's former "Sheraton Manhattan" is still a Starwood property but is now just called "The Manhattan at Times Square".)
Anyone has any feedback on this hotel? I am booked 2 nights next week there.

Is Downtown Chicago safe in the evening to walk?
Old Mar 21, 2014, 9:50 am

Originally Posted by iztok
Is Downtown Chicago safe in the evening to walk?
That area? Completely safe, although expect to be asked for spare change occasionally. As a very general rule, don't go west of the L tracks if you're up in the Division/Wells corridors.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
My wife and I had a really good experience at the Renaissance this weekend.

We were staying downtown for a weekend getaway when a party broke out in the room next door to us at 2AM. It was loud enough that we could clearly hear the conversations. Security showed up once to tell them to quiet down, but they kept on going.

At that point, I called and grumpily told the front desk that if they didn't get dealt with in 20 minutes, we'd check out and letters to Marriott corporate would ensue (I was probably a bit harsh, but it was 2:45AM). Second time was the charm when security showed up.

I had put it behind me when I got a phone call this afternoon from the hotel manager apologizing for the whole mess and offering me my choice of cash or point compensation for my troubles. It was a nice surprise gesture and one which will keep us coming back there for our weekend getaways.
Old Apr 13, 2014, 5:36 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by iztok
Anyone has any feedback on [Hotel Chicago Downtown]? I am booked 2 nights next week there.
So how was your stay? Any info on the lounge, breakfast, etc.?
Old Apr 16, 2014, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Fiance and I are considering heading to Chicago for 4th of July weekend. Looks like we can get comparable rates at the Ren Blackstone and FS Magnificent Mile. JW Is about $40 more/night. We'll be staying 2 nights with an early arrival (and hopefully early checkin) on the 4th. Looking for just a weekend getaway to see the sights, have some good food, and enjoy the fireworks. Any recommendations for which hotel to stay at? Any have better chance for Plat upgrades? I figure odds aren't great on that weekend, but still hopeful.

What are best transport options from ORD to the hotels? Just take a cab? Both travel light and not opposed to airport bus or public transport if they're good time & cost options.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by mikelat
Fiance and I are considering heading to Chicago for 4th of July weekend. Looks like we can get comparable rates at the Ren Blackstone and FS Magnificent Mile. JW Is about $40 more/night. We'll be staying 2 nights with an early arrival (and hopefully early checkin) on the 4th. Looking for just a weekend getaway to see the sights, have some good food, and enjoy the fireworks. Any recommendations for which hotel to stay at? Any have better chance for Plat upgrades? I figure odds aren't great on that weekend, but still hopeful.

What are best transport options from ORD to the hotels? Just take a cab? Both travel light and not opposed to airport bus or public transport if they're good time & cost options.
Transportation: Take the L. It's easy, fast and cheap. (Hmm, I really do mean the train on that.)

Hotel: The FS, hands down. While the Blackstone is beautiful, it's also pretty far removed from everywhere you'll want to be. The Blackstone has a great restaurant, but no other options within easy walking distance. With the FS, you are in the middle of everything. It's not as nice a hotel, but it's a much better location.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 8:05 pm

One more thing.. (Sorry to double post, but the system will not let me edit the previous post.)

Reach out to the experts on the LNF thread to see if anyone can help you get an even lower rate at the FS. Also, make a reservation at the JW and see if they can help you find an LNF rate there. You may wind up at a better hotel at a lower price.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:30 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Ever since they tacked on that $5 surcharge if I'm going from ORD to downtown with at least one other person, I take a cab. It's going to be about a $40 cab ride vs. $14.50 on the CTA but the CTA to the FS Marriott takes for-freaking-ever (think about an hour) as you stop at seemingly every cross street in the city. As long as it isn't rush hour, I'll take the faster ride even at the higher price.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 5:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Platinum, Avis President's Circle
Reach out to the experts on the LNF thread to see if anyone can help you get an even lower rate at the FS. Also, make a reservation at the JW and see if they can help you find an LNF rate there. You may wind up at a better hotel at a lower price.
IMO, I argue for the FS over the JW. Having stayed at the JW on a weekend, I wasn't very impressed by it. Extremely small rooms given it was a conversion, and the staff wasn't very attentive.

On top of that, the JW is in the middle of the financial district, which is going to be a post-apocalyptic ghost town on a holiday weekend, and you'll have the same walking situation as with the Blackstone.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Thanks all, booked a room at the FS and will see about getting an LNF. I also realized I have 200k Club Carlson points from that bonus promo a year or two ago and the Radisson Blu has award space so I may go with that instead for a freebie. Anyone here able to compare the two? Or should I go find the Chicago forum/threads in Destinations and ask there?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.