Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SkiAdcock
Hat tip to dcchi: "Whenever we do staycations in downtown Chicago, we use the ParkWhiz app to find parking. Normally pretty substantial savings off of hotel parking rates and even minor savings (and sometimes more) off of garage posted rates. If you're willing to walk one or a few blocks, this works well."
Print Wikipost

Marriott Bonvoy hotels in Chicago, IL

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 11:36 am
hts

Programs: AA EP, USAir Chairman, MR Lifetime Plat
You know, I'd expect that sort of outbreak at a Courtyard or a RI, but not at a JW, lol!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
I'm due to stay here the second week of September.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Originally Posted by njcommodore
I wonder if we'll see this drop from a Cat 7 to Cat 4 !
Then I can finally use those certs!
Old Aug 28, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, UA 1K, Southwest CP
Originally Posted by dchristiva
I'm due to stay here the second week of September.
Well...the Blackstone is also very nice!

Though in all seriousness, you shouldn't have to worry too much - it is believed that it was the JW spa/steam room facilities that was the root of the issue. The bacteria becomes dangerous when inhaled through hot steam in the contaminated area - and even at the spa they have drained the entire facility because of the health department requirements. Maybe you can negotiate for a cheaper rate though...
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:39 am

Legionnaires' disease? What crappy luck for the JW! I'm sure we haven't seen the sore end of this. Now that the media is on it the scheisse has really hit the fan.

Last edited by SocialAdept; Aug 30, 2012 at 3:10 am
Old Aug 29, 2012, 1:21 pm

Programs: AA, HHilton, Starwood
Thanks for this.

Had a reservation for this weekend and just cancelled. Chose Renaissance Downtown due to availability.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Rewards - LTPP
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...-outbreak.html

This was on the first page.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Plat
What is this? The middle ages?
Old Sep 1, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, UA Gold, AA Gold
update in the Tribune...

Now 3 dead...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/l...,6053909.story
Old Sep 1, 2012, 10:34 am

Programs: MR Gold, DCL Silver, RSSC Silver
"The fountain in the lobby of the JW Marriott, 151 W. Adams St., was removed from the hotel and identified as the primary source, according to the Chicago Department of Public Health. Secondary sources were found — including the pool and locker rooms....The department has confirmed 10 cases of the illness and now THREE deaths."

http://www.suntimes.com/14856619-761...oop-hotel.html
Old Sep 2, 2012, 5:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I am sorry this happened at this hotel.

With the above said, The JW Marriott Chicago is one of Chicago's best kept hotel secrets. Location super easy to get in and out of, a few minutes cab ride to most of Chicago's popular tourist destinations to include Michigan ave, Gold Coast and trendy BuckTown restaurants. Although the hotel has a lack of views, the very new and modern spa bathrooms more than make up for it.

My Wife and I will continue to stay at the JW Chicago. Very close to all the Chicago has to offer, but without the congestion.
Old Sep 2, 2012, 6:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
I am sorry this happened at this hotel.

With the above said, The JW Marriott Chicago is one of Chicago's best kept hotel secrets. Location super easy to get in and out of, a few minutes cab ride to most of Chicago's popular tourist destinations to include Michigan ave, Gold Coast and trendy BuckTown restaurants. Although the hotel has a lack of views, the very new and modern spa bathrooms more than make up for it.
Yeah, but that horrible death thing is kind of hard to overlook.

I'd wait several months to make sure they rooted out every and any possible sources (it appears that they've already found several) of infection before chancing a stay here.

But as for me, I've only spent two weeks total of my life in Chicago, and came down with two different cases of food poisoning during two different stays, so I'd just as soon avoid Chicago altogether...
Old Sep 3, 2012, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: AA Plat / UA NOTHING / Alaska 75K / Hyatt Diamond / SPG LT Plat / Marriott Gold / Priority Club Plat / Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Big Mo
"The fountain in the lobby of the JW Marriott, 151 W. Adams St., was removed from the hotel and identified as the primary source, according to the Chicago Department of Public Health. Secondary sources were found — including the pool and locker rooms....The department has confirmed 10 cases of the illness and now THREE deaths."

http://www.suntimes.com/14856619-761...oop-hotel.html
Ugh. Booked the JW a long time ago for my honeymoon next month. Was debating the JW versus the Blackstone and now wishing I had gone the other way. Not that I fear some horrible issue with the JW but it sounds like they're currently doing work in the public areas and who knows what the situation will be in 5 weeks.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 5:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
"debating the JW versus the Blackstone"

Have stayed at both, both are great, but you will love the JW. You made an outstanding selection with the JW.
Old Sep 3, 2012, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by GunsOfNavarone
Have stayed at both, both are great, but you will love the JW. You made an outstanding selection with the JW.
By any chance, do you have any family members that work at this hotel?

It is strange to such glowing recommendation for a hotel that has only very recently been responsible for three deaths...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.