Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2007, 3:51 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by stephem
There are much better hotels in Singapore, and plenty in the same price range as the LM.
Thanks .

I know this is a little OT, but can you give me some properties to check out please?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 1:41 am

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold
Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien?

I will be spending a couple of days in Singapore next month, and wanted to try to stay at a Starwood property. Any recommendations regarding which property is better as an SPG Platinum - Sheraton or Le Meridien? Thanks,
Old Nov 19, 2007, 4:59 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by MKE Traveler
I will be spending a couple of days in Singapore next month, and wanted to try to stay at a Starwood property. Any recommendations regarding which property is better as an SPG Platinum - Sheraton or Le Meridien? Thanks,
Although neither property is exciting, I would go for the Sheraton, although it is somewhat tired. You should have more information in the Starwood forum.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=607629
Old Nov 19, 2007, 7:55 am

Programs: BA, UA, Marriot
Definitely the Sheraton - last couple of stays I've been upgraded to a decent suite. The Meridien is just awful.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 11:18 am

Programs: HL Gold, SPG Platinum, HY Platinum, EY Gold Elite, EK Gold, LH Gold, AF Platinum
Well, depends a bit about your preferencies. I have got on both properties almost every time a suite. The thing bringing more to Le Meridien is that you get lounge access and they serve champagne there in the evenings. Being a champagne freak, that wins my heart.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K/Million Miler, Starwood Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hmattila
Well, depends a bit about your preferencies. I have got on both properties almost every time a suite. The thing bringing more to Le Meridien is that you get lounge access and they serve champagne there in the evenings. Being a champagne freak, that wins my heart.
Is there no lounge at the Sheraton?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
The answer is: avoid the LeM in SIN. Here is a good thread on the topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...apore+meridien
Old Nov 19, 2007, 3:57 pm

Location: DALLAS,TX AA EXP-3MM, HYT PLAT, SPG PLAT,HLT GLD,LEADERS CLUB
Well it's a coin toss for me but the LeMeridian is my choice until the St Regis opens..I spent last night at the Sheraton and today I am typing from the LeMeridian. Here is my trip report.

The Sheraton checking in late so I called from Toyko to ask for a suite upgrade after seeing that I was upgraded to a poolside room which they love to give there as an upgrade.I hate those rooms,so they found me a corner room on the 15th floor. When I checked in I asked again for a suite no luck but they told me they were giving me breakfast I just laughed.The room had only 2 towels and no toothbrush and no amenitys.I took my 500 points. OH and no free internet anywhere you even have to pay in the lobby.....I hate this charge with a passion. I took my double stays and went to check in at the LeMeridian
I asked for a suite on checking in early 10am they had one. The room has a living room and bedroom. larger tv's then the sheraton. Huge bathroom,and the A/c works fantastic.
Amenitys.....they brought us chocolates,a fresh fruit bowl and some Hermes products.....WOW. I also got my 500 points I am on Orchard RD and can walk the whole street.

The internet also is free here breakfast is served til 11am and coctails are from 6-8 pm. it's attached to a shopping arcade so you could get some food ,go to a bar,get a massage or hit the 7-11 and never go outside if there was a monsoon...

The hotel is a little dated an could use a remodeling but then again if you want a beautiful lobby and a place with attitute stay at the Sheraton.....
I will finish my stay here at the Ritz Carlton...for 3 nights....no status but hey
they have nice suites which is what i like
Old Nov 19, 2007, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
I often have the same hotel dilemma in SIN, and I always end up staying at the Le Meridien.
The LM is usually cheaper than the Sheraton (try using an SPG50 on higher-category rooms) and I like the location more--between Dhoby Ghaut and Somerset MRT stations, right on Orchard Road. Sheraton is by Newton MRT. A little more active around the LM. Also, LM has a nice pool, a decent gym, and the Suites (while decidedly needing an upgrade!) are huge and quiet, at the ends of the hallways.
Service is spotty at the front desk (with a revolving door of agents--some must quit every week!), but in the lounge it's usually excellent. Also, free WiFi in the lounge, and a good drinks and breakfast/hors d'ouevres spread too.
It's an odd hotel, decidedly 3* in some areas, 4* in others.
I haven't ever heard raves about the Sheraton--but YMMV.
Old Nov 20, 2007, 5:42 am
Suspended

There is no doubt the Sheraton Towers is a nicer property in a nicer (but not necessarily more convenient) location. The ST also has better views especially the rear facing rooms. The LM however has a lounge with a help-yourself fridge thats well stocked with non-alcoholic drinks and cut-fruits; and champange during evening cocktails.

Pricewise the ST is usually slightly more expensive than the LM (extra SGD30-40) but if using points its 10,000 points against 3,000/4,000 points.

If using points, I will choose Le Meridien. However if the rate is only SGD30 extra, I will stay at the Sheraton Towers instead.
Old Nov 22, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Shangri-La Jade, IHG Platinum, TG Gold
FYI. Let's not forget. St Regis Singapore also just opened recently.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:31 am

If you are using points - definitely go with LM. The Sheraton is probably a slightly better property (IMHO) - but definitely not worth that many more points.
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:35 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by meremale
FYI. Let's not forget. St Regis Singapore also just opened recently.
Website says not until 22nd December 2007
Old Nov 23, 2007, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SF CA USA. I love large faceless corporations. And they cherish me in return (sometimes). ;)
Programs: UA Premier Gold/disappointed 1MM, HH Gold, IHG Plat, MB Gold, BW Diam Sel
Originally Posted by Wilbur
The answer is: avoid the LeM in SIN. Here is a good thread on the topic.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...apore+meridien
The thread cited does NOT AT ALL support your conclusion "avoid the LeM in SIN."

In fact, if you read the whole thread (rather than just one or two posts), you will find many pros and cons on both hotels! @:-)

Here is another, very recent thread with a few miscellaneous comments on both hotels as well:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759657
Old Nov 23, 2007, 11:45 am

I prefer LM in SIN

I stayed in both hotels using points ealier this year. The LM is a far better value for points. I found the location of the LM more interesting (shops, bars, restaurants) and convenient. The Sheraton was slightly nicer in terms of condition of hotel and room furnishings. I was upgraded to a suite in both hotels (Plat). The Sheraton put me in a zany Kenyan themed suite, which was at least good for a laugh. The suite at the LM was huge and also included free internet access. The free full buffet breakfast and lounge access at LM was greatness.

In short, I would stay at the LM without at second thought.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.