Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2007, 10:19 pm
Suspended

The Sheraton Towers is newer (but not really new), has more comfortable beds and better view. Thats about it.

The Le Meridien is old (but clean) with uninspiring decor, but has
1) more friendly and very accomodating staff
2) decent upgrade including suites
3) lounge acess (with breakfast option at restaurant)
4) air-con food court in the same buiding and traditional hawker centre next door plus many eateries nearby ( ST is 5-10min walk to Newton Hawker Centre)
5) shopping (and Orchard Road) at your door step
6) decent sized pool (I have never bothered to check-out the ST pool but it should be ok)

For me when in SIN, I would either "rough it out" at the Le Meridien and enjoy the convenience and privileges there; or pamper myself at the Conrad which is a lot more elegant.

Edit : if your stay is over Christmas 2007, the St Regis "may" be your 3rd option. Its located at the quieter end of Orchard Road and construction seems to be going full swing at the moment.

Last edited by mario33; Feb 21, 2007 at 10:29 pm
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:37 am
obs

Programs: BA executive club,priority club Plat Ambassador, Hilton hhonours Diamond, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Have to say if I had to choose from those two i would go for the meridien. On a personal note neither ae great IMHO. I wil be in SIN twice in August. I have booked the Intercontinental for one visit and the conrad for the other. I think these are better hotels.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 1:46 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by mario33
The Sheraton Towers is newer (but not really new), has more comfortable beds and better view. Thats about it.

ST is 5-10min walk to Newton Hawker Centre)
It's a bit less than that...about 600 yards.

The Sheraton Towers is also about 300 yards from the subway; it's just two stops (about 4 minutes, with about a 5 minute max wait, so call it 10 minutes) to Orchard.

I can't speak to the other proerties, but I've stayed extensively at the Sheraton Towers and have gotten, by far, the best service in the SPG system there.

Steve
Old Feb 22, 2007, 4:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sllevin
I can't speak to the other proerties, but I've stayed extensively at the Sheraton Towers and have gotten, by far, the best service in the SPG system there.
Perhaps as a regular guest you are getting good service.

I stay there occasionally over several years (mostly redemption stay); and except once (several years ago) when I was checked-in by a very sweet trainee, the rest of the front desk staff were cold and bordering rude . I would rate them on the bottom 10% of Starwood properties I have stayed.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Perhaps as a regular guest you are getting good service.
I suspect that's likely the case, as I've had very good service upon checkin, and stay at the ST many times/year. OTOH: Check-out can be a royal pain since it's normally very very early in the AM and the staff doesn't seem to be very senior at that time.

I really like the pool at the ST, but have never seen the one at LM, so can't compare.
Have fun in SIN!
Best, Dave
Old Feb 22, 2007, 5:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sllevin
It's just two stops (about 4 minutes, with about a 5 minute max wait, so call it 10 minutes) to Orchard.
You could also take a very nice stroll down "leafy" Scotts Road, passing thru the Goodwood Park on your way and end up at Orchard in about 20 minutes, too!

Best, Dave
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bseller
You could also take a very nice stroll down "leafy" Scotts Road, passing thru the Goodwood Park on your way and end up at Orchard in about 20 minutes, too!
Dont forget to bring an extra set of clothings to change when you reach Orchard Road
Old Feb 22, 2007, 9:21 am

SIN is cheap. Pay for the Fullerton. I never stay anywhere else in SIN.
Old Feb 22, 2007, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dont forget to bring an extra set of clothings to change when you reach Orchard Road
Fair 'nuff! It is SIN, afterall.

Best, Dave
Old Feb 25, 2007, 9:20 pm

Thumbs up Great Stay at Le Meridien

Just finished a 3 day stay in the Le Meridien Singapore using points. I was given excellent Plat recognition. I was upgraded to a large one bedroom suite without asking. I was also given the 500 point Plat amenity. As a plat I got free broadband internet and complimentary free hot buffet breafast (really good) at the cafe in the hotel. In the evenings there were free cocktails from 6-8 pm in the club lounge. After eating at the cafe for breakfast one time, the attendant remembered my name the next morning when she saw me walk in...that always impresses me.

The lobby is a bit dated, but my suite was big and very clean. The hotel location is centrally located and I was able to watch the Chinese New Year parade from my window overlooking Orchard Street. The Somerset MRT stop is about a 5 min walk from the hotel.

I would definitely stay here again. Great location, good rooms, nice service and free internet.
Old Feb 27, 2007, 7:33 pm

Programs: AC MM SE, Marriott Titanium - Lifetime Plat 2nd Class, National Executive, Avis PP
Thanks to both of you for the reviews. I will be spending 3 nights in Singapore in July on holiday, and chose Le Meridien as the Sheraton jumped up to a category 4

Glad to hear it is a good property, as I have read some other less positive reviews on it.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:21 am

SIN next week, Need answers plz!

I'm 70% sure I'm heading to SIN next week.

I've held a room @ Sheraton Towers. I'm paying around 246 SGD / night (all in). Is this a good deal? Couldn't find anything cheaper on the usual websites?

What can I expect as a SPG Gold? I'm in the basic "deluxe" room. Is free breakfast likely?

How is the pool?

How much is a cab ride from airport?

Has anyone crashed at the airport after arrival to save 1 nights stay?

I'm also a HH Gold, Is the Conrad worth an extra $40 CAD / night?

Much thanks to everyone.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:31 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
I'm 70% sure I'm heading to SIN next week.

I've held a room @ Sheraton Towers. I'm paying around 246 SGD / night (all in). Is this a good deal? Couldn't find anything cheaper on the usual websites?

What can I expect as a SPG Gold? I'm in the basic "deluxe" room. Is free breakfast likely?

How is the pool?

How much is a cab ride from airport?

Has anyone crashed at the airport after arrival to save 1 nights stay?

I'm also a HH Gold, Is the Conrad worth an extra $40 CAD / night?

Much thanks to everyone.
No upgrade or breakfast for Golds, rate seems ok.
Taxi ride from airport approx SGD15-20.
Yes, Conrad is better value if you are HHonors Gold (you get free breakfast and minor room upgrade).
Old Feb 28, 2007, 11:54 am
Moderator: GLBT travelers, India-based Airlines and India; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Yes!
Yes, Conrad is better value if you are HHonors Gold (you get free breakfast and minor room upgrade).
AFAIK, Plats do not get complementary breakfast here either.

And when you ask about that, they do try encourage you to buy the Towers Package at a supplement of about S$80++ per night, which includes breakfast, dry-cleaning etc.
Old Feb 28, 2007, 12:01 pm

What? not even an upgrade? Is there any reason to stay there as a *W gold?
Is the pool nice?
Is there a lot to do for 3 days in the area w/ out car?

This started out as an extended MR but these costs are far more than anticipated and I may have to bail from the trip. I had a great rate at the hilton yesterday. Gone today.
My expected dates in SIN are Mar 9 - 12. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks all!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.