Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore: Sheraton or Le Meridien [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2006, 9:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by cawhite
I'm curious when was the last time you saw the MB branded toiletries in their standard rooms?
I cant quite remember my last stay but it was certainly before I qualified as Plat. Sad to know that Molton Brown toiletries has been displaced
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:31 am
ewj

Programs: Hilton Gold, SPG PLAT, NWA Plat
Originally Posted by steven_s
I have decided to book Sheraton, thanks for the information!
What got you to that decision? I am a public transpo and short walking guy (vs, taxi). The Sheraton is nice but is a little off the beaten track for me.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:40 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ewj
What got you to that decision? I am a public transpo and short walking guy (vs, taxi). The Sheraton is nice but is a little off the beaten track for me.
Isnt the Newton MRT station just next to the hotel
Old Apr 8, 2006, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold, UA LT Plat, Mar LTT
Originally Posted by mario33
Isnt the Newton MRT station just next to the hotel
Yep, 2 minutes walk if you do it very very slowly...
Best, Dave
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:15 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by bseller
Yep, 2 minutes walk if you do it very very slowly...
Best, Dave
But it takes 10 minutes if you're returning from a SIN Do.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 12:26 pm

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by kevino
But it takes 10 minutes if you're returning from a SIN Do.
But after the late night activities, the MRT is closed so it means taking a taxi back
Old Apr 8, 2006, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Maybe you should name the INTERNATIONAL Sheratons (LC Sheratons excluded) which you rate higher than the Sheraton SIN . I am not suggesting that the Sheraton SIN is among the best Sheratons around, but it certainly isnt among the worst.
I think all 3 of the London Sheratons are better (Belgravia, Park Lane, Park Tower, yes I know the PT is LC), and I think even the Sheraton Skyline at Heathrow is in better shape: larger bathrooms, better bed, more space, better condition all around. The Sheraton Bogenhausen and Grand in Munich are both significantly better, although I'm told the Bogenhausen is missing air conditioning - it didn't affect me when I stayed there for Oktoberfest, but would be a problem in July. Westin Dublin is MUCH better than the Sheraton SIN. I could probably add another 4 or 5, but the point is that the Sheraton SIN - Starwood's flagship in an important gateway city - simply isn't competitive with the other similarly-priced hotels in Singapore, OR with other similarly positioned hotels in the Starwood chain.
Old Apr 8, 2006, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by SportsTech
I think all 3 of the London Sheratons are better (Belgravia, Park Lane, Park Tower, yes I know the PT is LC), and I think even the Sheraton Skyline at Heathrow is in better shape: larger bathrooms, better bed, more space, better condition all around. The Sheraton Bogenhausen and Grand in Munich are both significantly better, although I'm told the Bogenhausen is missing air conditioning - it didn't affect me when I stayed there for Oktoberfest, but would be a problem in July. Westin Dublin is MUCH better than the Sheraton SIN. I could probably add another 4 or 5, but the point is that the Sheraton SIN - Starwood's flagship in an important gateway city - simply isn't competitive with the other similarly-priced hotels in Singapore, OR with other similarly positioned hotels in the Starwood chain.
We (SPG folks) all know Westin Dublin is good.

All my stay at Sheraton SIN was simply great (upgrade, Platinum treatment, etc.) , and I did not have any complaints at all. The way I was treated there was actually better than at Ritz Carlton SIN...
Old Apr 8, 2006, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
I didn't stay at all of those, though it does seem that the Munich properties get some rather mixed reviews (I'm doing a German Starwood crawl this July and will be able to tell for myself). But no way is the Sheraton Skyline better than the Sheraton SIN.

My only objection to the latter (other than not being right on Orchard) would be the lack of a club lounge, which is sad because other Asian SPG properties tend to have free cocktail hours and excellent breakfasts for plats. When I asked at checkin recently I was told that one would be coming next year. Maybe that will help.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 12:50 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
I know a club lounge would be nice, but do we really need a club lounge when there is so much good and cheap food within one or two MRT stops of Newton? There is some better stuff too if you're willing to take a taxi. Heck there's even the Newton Circus Hawker stand within a few minutes walk. To those of you whom I travel to SIN with quite often and to my local friends, I know there are places much better than the touristy Newton Circus.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 2:40 am

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
I'd like a club lounge.

It would be an additional place to hang out or when you don't want to go out and get hot and sweaty just to eat.
Old Apr 9, 2006, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ENIAC
..But no way is the Sheraton Skyline better than the Sheraton SIN.
OK, I'll agree without reservation that the Sheraton SIN is a better hotel than the Sheraton Skyline. But the standard rooms at the Skyline are better than the 'best' room I got at the SIN property. Better bed, better TV, more room, faster internet, better bathroom...same bathrobe.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 2:38 am

Programs: UA1k, AA plt, SW plt, Mar plt
Evertime I go to this Sheraton, they try to say they have 'upgraded' me to one of their 5th-floor rooms. These rooms are not much of an upgrade except that they have a balcony. But I have generally been successful in asking for a non-5th floor upgrade and have had nice little 1 1/2 bath suites most times. Good luck!
Old Apr 11, 2006, 10:15 am
Suspended

Yes, the Sheraton Park Towers is very very nice but its a Luxury Collection property and not a "standard" Sheraton. Also Westin hotels are generally much nicer than a "standard" Sheraton and as such is not a fair comparison. I would say the Sheraton Towers SIN is comparable to a property like the Royal Orchid Sheraton in BKK.

I dont know why many posters on FT tend to compare this hotel with Luxury Collection properties or luxury hotels like Ritz Carlton. Probably its due to the high room rates the hotel is charging. But this is a "standard" Sheraton, and is not meant to be a flagship property for Starwood. Its an old hotel built more than 20 years ago before Sheraton became part of Starwood; and prior to the departure of Westin Plaza and Westin Stamford, it was generally regarded as the lowest ranked Starwood property in SIN. Until the St Regis is completed, I dont think Starwood has anything close to a flagship property in this city.
Old Apr 11, 2006, 3:11 pm

Programs: UA, DL, AA, HH, SPG
Probably its due to the high room rates the hotel is charging.
Exactly the point. During my last stay, November '05, the Sheraton's rates were within a few Sing dollars to the Ritz or the Mandarin or the Regent and it's simply not in their league.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.