Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Shelbourne, Autograph Collection, Dublin, Ireland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shelbourne, Autograph Collection, Dublin, Ireland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Some a post on tripadvisor dated 7/2011 in which a plat said he was comped to breakfast each day in the restaurant.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 11:38 pm
Used to be bulldoggolfer05

Programs: HGP DMD, HHonors DMD, SPG PLT, MR PLT
Originally Posted by ohmark
Would seem a flat-out violation of MR rules, for which you could have collected $100.
Except that July 2 was a Saturday on which breakfast is not required.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by bulldoggolfer05
Except that July 2 was a Saturday on which breakfast is not required.
Except that the poster indicated he/she was told on July 2, not that the stay was necessarily limited to July 2.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by catharsis
As of last week (02 July 2011) I was told when checking-in that 'we no longer have any lounge'. This was not in response to a question about the CL but in response to a specific question about the Heritage Lounge.

There was of course then no comped breakfast or anything else despite my elite status.
Just checked in today and was told the lounge no longer exists as well. I inquired why and was told it was to focus more on the quality for their elite guests. I suppose the cut backs in the lounge I had read about have gone to the extreme.

However, I was informed that there is free internet in the rooms now (I had read it was only available in the lounge previously). I would also get free breakfast in the restaurant M-F, but was told specifically that it was not free on the weekends, which I expected. Restaurant breakfast is probably better, since previous posters have lamented the deplorable lounge offerings.

I guess this is how they are focusing on the quality? No internet terminals (though I suspect few business travelers are without a laptop) and no evening reception with free snacks or drinks 24 hours.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by catharsis
As of my stay last weekend I was told there was no longer ANY lounge at the Shelbourne hotel in Dublin.
Just checked in today and was told the lounge no longer exists as well. However, I was informed that there is free internet in the rooms now (I had read it was only available in the lounge previously). I would also get free breakfast in the restaurant M-F, but was told specifically that it was not free on the weekends, which I expected. Perhaps your rumblings, as well as others', changed their minds.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by sensasianl
Just checked in today and was told the lounge no longer exists as well. However, I was informed that there is free internet in the rooms now (I had read it was only available in the lounge previously). I would also get free breakfast in the restaurant M-F, but was told specifically that it was not free on the weekends, which I expected. Perhaps your rumblings, as well as others', changed their minds.
Free i-net in rooms is standard for Gold/Plats as of January this past year, and breakfast M-F for G/P is standard policy for Marriotts that don't have lounges (resorts excepted). Doesn't sound like Shelbourne is doing anything extraordinary, but simply complying w/ Marriott policy.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 1:17 pm

From reports Shelbourne's gone a bit downhill in what they've been offering & how they treat folk. Supposedly they're in a bit legal thing w/ Marriott as well.

Cheers.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People were complaining about the evening lounge offerings. They havne't had breakfast in the lounge in a long time, it has been in the restaurant. Not sure what they are focussing on. Free internet for elites ahs been mandated since January.
Old Jul 8, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite; UA MM
Just checked in today and was told the lounge no longer exists as well. I inquired why and was told it was to focus more on the quality for their elite guests. I suppose the cut backs in the lounge I had read about have gone to the extreme.
I stayed at the Shelbourne about 4 years ago. The CL was great at that time. They had food of some sort almost all day long. The lounge was relaxing and peaceful with a great staff.

Of course, it makes no sense to downgrade the lounge to focus on quality. It is a pity that a once great hotel has deteriorated to this level.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:35 am

Just checked in today and was told the lounge no longer exists as well. I inquired why and was told it was to focus more on the quality for their elite guests.
No matter how management has decided to trash their once elegant lounge, to offer this explanation to guests is nothing short of insulting. The unsaid part of the explanation is that "we consider guests to be fools who will accept anything we tell them, no matter how ludicrous."
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:17 am
Suspended

Sharon,

I am interested in knowing what sort of problems they are having with Marriott as my wife and her family are staying there this summer and I intend to gift to them an EEO for their use -- it is one of the select few int'l properties that do participate, as it had in years past.

I have not seen the T&C for the cert this year but assume it is the same; however, I don't want them to run into any sort of difficulties in using it so your knowledge of issues would be helpful to me.

Thanks,

NJ
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Sharon,

I am interested in knowing what sort of problems they are having with Marriott as my wife and her family are staying there this summer and I intend to gift to them an EEO for their use -- it is one of the select few int'l properties that do participate, as it had in years past.

I have not seen the T&C for the cert this year but assume it is the same; however, I don't want them to run into any sort of difficulties in using it so your knowledge of issues would be helpful to me.

Thanks,

NJ
I'm not Sharon, but I'm quite sure she is referring to the legal squabbles referenced by posts in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...lbourne-2.html

The multiplicity of current threads on the subject of the Shelbourne makes no sense as folks are posting of similar topics in all three threads. Hopefully, our intrepid moderator will combine them in the above linked thread, which is, and has been, the major one on the Shelbourne.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by NJUPINTHEAIR
Sharon,

Thanks,

NJ
Actually I think Marriott was having problems w/ the Shelbourne, and I remember reading on FT somewhere there was a lawsuit going on. You might want to do a search. Could have been resolved by now, though. I'm sure your wife/family will be fine. Just remind them to have 2 copies of the EEOs with them & to print out the page that shows the Shelbourne is participating in the EEO.

Cheers.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:29 am
Suspended

Exclamation Free Breakfast on Weekends for Gold and Platinum Elites

As a follow-up to the above, I asked a reservations agent to contact the hotel to see if they could confirm double bed rooms for my wife's party as another agent flatly denied that they had such rooms even though they are listed on the drop down online.

The agents was able to confirm double bed rooms which I was grateful for and I had advised that they had now closed the Heritage Lounge.

Inasmuch as the agent was able to confirm double bed room by contacting the hotel directly, she also was advised by the reservation agent at the hotel, that Gold and Platinum members do receive breakfast gratis on the weekends!

Now, I have no way of confirming this as I am just passing this on, and my wife's party has confirmed breakfast on their room rates for the weekend days, and the rooms they had blocked are larger rooms that are not available for their weekend w/o breakfast, so this may be of limited use during the summer.

However, if true, this could be a valuable benefit resulting from lounge closure.

Sharon,

Not to worry about the 2 copies for the 2 rooms. My wife is also Gold so she will use hers for her room, and I am gifting the second from my account for the other room.

Also, if the report of breakfast on the weekend is accurate, you might want to edit your thread!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 10:34 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ohmark
I'm not Sharon, but I'm quite sure she is referring to the legal squabbles referenced by posts in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marri...lbourne-2.html

The multiplicity of current threads on the subject of the Shelbourne makes no sense as folks are posting of similar topics in all three threads. Hopefully, our intrepid moderator will combine them in the above linked thread, which is, and has been, the major one on the Shelbourne.
Thanks,

Mark and I am in full agreement with you re consolidation!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.