Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

The Shelbourne, Autograph Collection, Dublin, Ireland [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Shelbourne, Autograph Collection, Dublin, Ireland [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2009, 3:58 pm

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
Originally Posted by Irrover
Just got back from a two night award stay 6 - 8 Nov. Arrived at 10am and the front desk was able to give me a room. It was an upgrade to a suite (#540 i believe) at end of hall overlooking the NE corner of St. Stephens Green. Large two room room (sitting room w/ desk and bedroom 2 queens). Nice bathroom with tub and seperate large walk in shower.
Sounds like a great room you had. I'm sure the lounge is very nice as it is now; but what a pity compared to what it used to be. Multiple food services all day long, with numerous gourmet delights at each service. Open on weekends. But even with the reduced lounge food service, still one very nice property.
Old May 29, 2010, 9:04 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Updates?

Anyone have any updates? Booked into here in mid-July.

1-Lounge-offerings any better?

2-Breakfast-Lounge or restaurant? Weekends too?

3-Anything else?
Old Jun 21, 2010, 5:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Heads Up! It's on the EEO list!

Someone mentioned in another thread that some int'l properties are participating in the EEO for Marriotts/Rens.

In looking at the Ren list, the Shelbourne is on the list to use a EEO. Valid through 10/10/10.

Cheers.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 6:44 am

Programs: HH Silver, MR Plat Prem & LT Plat, Hyatt Plat,SPG Plat, Hertz PC, National EE, UA 1K
Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Anyone have any updates? Booked into here in mid-July.

1-Lounge-offerings any better?

2-Breakfast-Lounge or restaurant? Weekends too?

3-Anything else?

Anyone have any recent experience???? I saw on the website that when it quoted the lounge ammenities, it never stated breakfast...I assume that will be in the restaurant???

TIA
Old Jun 27, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The lounge is no where near big enough to handle breakfast service, I don't see any way they could do it there. I saw the list of plats receiving free breakfast in the restaurant when the host checked us off.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by VickiSoCal
The lounge is no where near big enough to handle breakfast service, I don't see any way they could do it there. I saw the list of plats receiving free breakfast in the restaurant when the host checked us off.
As somebody who stayed there a few years ago, when the Heritage Lounge was relatively new, breakfast was served quite comfortably.
Old Jun 27, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
When I stayed - NYEish 2008/2009, we were comped in the restaurant for breakfast during the week. Lounge was closed on weekends. It was fine, but I hate restaurant bfasts. I prefer quick, grab, and go. Having to wait for table service suuuucks. I was done with my meal from the buffet before I even got my OJ!
Old Jun 27, 2010, 12:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe we were there at a particularly crowded time but it seemed full to me in the evening, and mornings tend to be busier IME. The number of tables did not seem like it would be adequate for breakfast service.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 6:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Just noticed on the Marriott Rewards promo that there's a 30% off Stay for Breakfast rate (Thurs-Sun) at this property valid through September 3rd.

Cheers.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:10 pm

Mediocre stay...at best..

Just returned from a week in the "Great Dame of Dublin Hotels" (as told by 2 different Ireland books I read). What a shame that the Shelbourne should be called the Great Dame!

Checkin-Booked 2 rooms on points...connecting. Took the agent ~15 minutes (only agent working) to get the keys cut, explain the "Heritage Lounge" and point me to the elevators. As I had to ask, as a PlatPrem if they had any upgrades, she said they don't upgrade points stays. I had booked, and received "Delux" rooms.

Rooms-A great view from the second floor of a wonderfully dirty car park and office building. An added bonus was the noise from the staff seperating the bottles at about 6am under the windows!!! Size was ok-nice king bed, flat-screen tv (LCD) and mini-bar. Nice size (for Europe) bathrooms!!

Breakfast-WOW-29Euro buffett???? SERIOUSLY???? Despite the host having a list of rooms who were plat (I saw the list, and not many on the list daily- ~12) I was charged and signed 3/5 days for breakfast. Then had a hassle with the front desk at check-out to get them removed. Front desk asked why I only signed 3/5 days..and not the others?? Ummm..because I was told I HAD to by the wait staff!

"Heritage Lounge"-I will break this into many parts.
1-"Decor/design" ^^ LOOKS AWESOME. Feeling of a great many days spent drafting the Irish Constitution there!!
2-Food (No breakfast-it was in the restaurant). VERY SPARSE!! The attendant at the Heritage Lounge (Staff reminded me MANY times they dont have to play by Marriott's rules, as they dont have a conceirge lounge-they have a HERITAGE LOUNGE!!) never refilled the food that we saw. Only ever saw ~12 other people the whole week there! No wonder, NO FOOD. One offering of shriveled up hot food, a few crackers, VERY little cheese and nothing else. NO fruit, NO veggies, NOTHING. Oh-and they kept the soda/water LOCKED UP in a china cabinet. That would be fine, but less then 1/2 of the time an attendant was there to UNLOCK the china cabinet for a soda/water!!! Deserts were so-so, and again, one plate and done!
3-Internet. PAY ONLY! No free internet on the HERITAGE LOUNGE computer, as it is NOT a conceirge lounge!!! (Free wi-fi in the lounge though). Major

Location-Eh...just ok. Next time I will stay at the Westin as it is much more centrally located.

Overall-I will not go back to the Shelbourne. It was a VERY mediocre stay, in a VERY horrible room, with nothing to offer a PlatPrem.

Any questions-let me know.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:29 pm

Programs: IC Amb :-(, UA silver, BA Gold, SPG Plat, A-Club Plat, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by craz
Is it a reg Lounge for Plats and Golds. I got the impression it was a Lounge for those only booked or staying in a Hertiage Room

when I was checking in I was told breakfast would be in the restaurant as there is no lounge. I was told I was upgarded to a king size bed , when I asked about a Hertiage room with a king and mentioned how I saw it was available before checking in on MR.com. He said OK and then handed me a piece of paper and told me about the Hertiage lounge

Of cause the paper had as a Hertiage Room person the lounge ..., so thats like a non-elite who booked an executive room getting Lounge access. But I wasnt sure if I wasnt in the Hertiage Room if I would have gotten access, went 1 time for 15 mins had a tea, nothing else to eat at the time.

I happen to like the location of The Westin much better, closer to places I wanted to be at, @ max a 10 min extra walk and walking along Kildare or Dawson or Grafton or Merrion is nice except when i got caught in the rain
As of last week (02 July 2011) I was told when checking-in that 'we no longer have any lounge'. This was not in response to a question about the CL but in response to a specific question about the Heritage Lounge.

There was of course then no comped breakfast or anything else despite my elite status.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by PhillyPhlyer40
Just returned from a week in the "Great Dame of Dublin Hotels" (as told by 2 different Ireland books I read). What a shame that the Shelbourne should be called the Great Dame!

Checkin-Booked 2 rooms on points...connecting. Took the agent ~15 minutes (only agent working) to get the keys cut, explain the "Heritage Lounge" and point me to the elevators. As I had to ask, as a PlatPrem if they had any upgrades, she said they don't upgrade points stays. I had booked, and received "Delux" rooms.

Rooms-A great view from the second floor of a wonderfully dirty car park and office building. An added bonus was the noise from the staff seperating the bottles at about 6am under the windows!!! Size was ok-nice king bed, flat-screen tv (LCD) and mini-bar. Nice size (for Europe) bathrooms!!

Breakfast-WOW-29Euro buffett???? SERIOUSLY???? Despite the host having a list of rooms who were plat (I saw the list, and not many on the list daily- ~12) I was charged and signed 3/5 days for breakfast. Then had a hassle with the front desk at check-out to get them removed. Front desk asked why I only signed 3/5 days..and not the others?? Ummm..because I was told I HAD to by the wait staff!

"Heritage Lounge"-I will break this into many parts.
1-"Decor/design" ^^ LOOKS AWESOME. Feeling of a great many days spent drafting the Irish Constitution there!!
2-Food (No breakfast-it was in the restaurant). VERY SPARSE!! The attendant at the Heritage Lounge (Staff reminded me MANY times they dont have to play by Marriott's rules, as they dont have a conceirge lounge-they have a HERITAGE LOUNGE!!) never refilled the food that we saw. Only ever saw ~12 other people the whole week there! No wonder, NO FOOD. One offering of shriveled up hot food, a few crackers, VERY little cheese and nothing else. NO fruit, NO veggies, NOTHING. Oh-and they kept the soda/water LOCKED UP in a china cabinet. That would be fine, but less then 1/2 of the time an attendant was there to UNLOCK the china cabinet for a soda/water!!! Deserts were so-so, and again, one plate and done!
3-Internet. PAY ONLY! No free internet on the HERITAGE LOUNGE computer, as it is NOT a conceirge lounge!!! (Free wi-fi in the lounge though). Major

Location-Eh...just ok. Next time I will stay at the Westin as it is much more centrally located.

Overall-I will not go back to the Shelbourne. It was a VERY mediocre stay, in a VERY horrible room, with nothing to offer a PlatPrem.

Any questions-let me know.
Update: I was told at check in last Saturday in the property that they had recently closed their lounge and no longer have any lounge.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 3:31 pm

As of my stay last weekend I was told there was no longer ANY lounge at the Shelbourne hotel in Dublin.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis
Update: I was told at check in last Saturday in the property that they had recently closed their lounge and no longer have any lounge.
What a comedown for a property that when opened as a Renaissance had what may have been the finest concierge lounge in the entire Marriott system.
Old Jul 7, 2011, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by catharsis
There was of course then no comped breakfast or anything else despite my elite status.
Would seem a flat-out violation of MR rules, for which you could have collected $100.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.