Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2019, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium Marriott Platinum for life.
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Has anyone else noticed that at the club, they do something strange with the "bill?" They "charge" you for things you didn't drink, but it is comped. For example, we might have two glasses of prosecco, but they put four on the bill and then tell you not to worry about it - it's not charged to your room anyway. It's as though someone is making at look as though more liquor is being consumed than is the case and then doing who knows what with the unconsumed liquor (in my suspicious mind, taking it and reselling it outside the hotel).
You may be right, but for sure when I stay here they always give me a bill and tell me how much this "would" have cost had I payed. This is done as an aggressive way to get a tip, which I always give 20%. No matter that and some of the negative reviews on this thread going on about the condition of this hotel, for some reason I still am fond of this place.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by ILuvParis
Having sat through the presentation at this particular hotel, I can tell you that you will probably meet with three people. The person who does the initial presentation was very nice - just going through the "benefits" of the program and answering questions. Very matter of fact, friendly and low key.

Then they brought a woman for the hard sell. She was very high pressure, and tried to sell us on several lesser options - anything for some kind of sale, I guess. The more we made it clear that we were not interested, the colder she got. Finally, she said in a snide tone, "So, you can do it, you just don't want to." I told her she had it about right.

Then, they'll bring in the "quality control" guy, who is supposedly there to get your impressions of the first two. I praised the first guy and complained about the high pressure technique of the woman and stated it was ironic in light of the fact that it had repeatedly been impressed on us that there was absolutely no obligation. And more attempts to sell us. He was somewhat unpleasant after that. We kidded later that everyone would probably ignore us the rest of the stay.

That said, it was worth it for the 10K miles and the inexpensive vacation and the rest of the staff were all very pleasant throughout the stay.
Originally Posted by gimpo111
First time poster here.

I'm going to this resort soon via the $269 offer.

As someone who has never sat through a timeshare presentation, can anyone shed some light on how intense/not intense it gets? What should we expect? I'm an experienced sayer of 'no' but will the hotel staff turn hostile on us if we refuse to buy the timeshare?
Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Hey guys, I received a targeted mailer from Westin vacation club on this 5D/4N offer for $269.
They are also throwing in 15k points to sweeten the deal. We do have plans to travel to South America during May.
But I had no experience with these vaca club deals before, the fine lines states that Vistana travel is the agent for this package.
I've read a few on blogs saying that there definitely will be a few hours of sales pitch and presentations to attend.

I guess my questions are:
- Is this deal worth it?
- Would my stay be eligible for elite nights/points and receive elite benefits? We are Plat Premier with Marriott, so those free bfast are very valuable for us.
Hi all - wondering if any of you got elite qualifying night credits for the timeshare stay? I got the deal and I may considering it, the t&c seem to say no, but I was hoping for some recent data points. Thanks!
Old Aug 3, 2019, 4:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by crimson12
Hi all - wondering if any of you got elite qualifying night credits for the timeshare stay? I got the deal and I may considering it, the t&c seem to say no, but I was hoping for some recent data points. Thanks!
I am not a Bonvoy person. I was there for the airline bonus miles and the cheap rate so I don't know/didn't care. I think people have posted above that the answer is no, however.
Old Aug 3, 2019, 10:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by crimson12
Nope sorry, no E nights counted. No bfast or welcome amenity choice. You don't even get the late checkout benefit, they didn't even have our rooms ready by 3pm - they claim check in is 4pm.
We were booted out by 11am, that's the standard check out time, and we were Titanium when staying with them.
But hey, they still upgraded us to a true 1 BR suite, which is bigger than the std studio suite.
So we definitely had a great deal for the 4 nights we stayed there, very convenient and well-appointed property.
Old Nov 27, 2019, 7:54 am

Programs: A3-G
no more for Bonvoy benefit

Im looked website & get booking for next year,but website say Certain Bonvoy benefits do not apply at this resort

Old Nov 28, 2019, 2:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by United935
Im looked website & get booking for next year,but website say Certain Bonvoy benefits do not apply at this resort

That's because this property is owned by Vistana and is being converted to a timeshare property. The T&C of the Marriott Bonvoy program indicate certain Bonvoy elite benefits do not apply to Vistana properties.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2020, 11:54 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat Spg, 1K UA
We spent 2 nights, Dec 20-22 2019 and our experience was pathetic.They have lost any respectability as a Westin, you could get better service at a four points, as you know what to expect. Checked in at the RBC, Royal Beach Club reception, and the clerk was clueless, asked me to fill out all of my personal data and I’m lifetime titanium elite or something like that, no bellman, lugged my luggage up to my room using the cart and was reminded by the other clerk to bring it back down, ordered room service, a mistake, no wine opener to open a bottle of wine, no sauces to accompany the traditional Mexican dishes we waited at least 15 minutes for the opener and salsas, by then we improvised and ate some really sh...y food. Avoid this hotel at all costs, it is now a time share hanging onto the Westin name, had such good memories here over the last 20 years, time to move on...
RafKa likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by andres21st
We spent 2 nights, Dec 20-22 2019 and our experience was pathetic.They have lost any respectability as a Westin, you could get better service at a four points, as you know what to expect. Checked in at the RBC, Royal Beach Club reception, and the clerk was clueless, asked me to fill out all of my personal data and I’m lifetime titanium elite or something like that, no bellman, lugged my luggage up to my room using the cart and was reminded by the other clerk to bring it back down, ordered room service, a mistake, no wine opener to open a bottle of wine, no sauces to accompany the traditional Mexican dishes we waited at least 15 minutes for the opener and salsas, by then we improvised and ate some really sh...y food. Avoid this hotel at all costs, it is now a time share hanging onto the Westin name, had such good memories here over the last 20 years, time to move on...
Yes, shame. I have a soft spot for this hotel and spent a number of nice vacations there. Not fancy but always felt it delivered as expected. There was a guy who worked in the RBC (I think he may be mentioned upthread) who was just great, remembered guests and was just very nice.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:30 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Sad to hear about the state of this hotel. I had many great memories here. Back in the SPG days, I'd come here in January for a stay at the westin, do late check out, then go to the aloft. Hang out downtown, leave early, then come back to the westin. I'd get 3 stays to start off the qualifying year and it'd cost 18k points total, plus it'd be way warmer in January in Cancun than NYC. It was never the most luxurious or fancy hotel, but it always did the job when I needed a quick trip to sunny weather
Old Jan 9, 2020, 5:49 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Originally Posted by United935

I received an email a few days prior to my arrival advising that certain benefits do not apply to my stay as you mentioned. They include no room upgrade, no lounge access, and no free breakfast. When I checked in today, all benefits were offered. They asked me to tick a box on the welcome amenity choice list and everything was what you would expect at a Westin and nothing suggested anything was offered as a goodwill gesture. So very confusing what is going on at this resort.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 10:22 am

Programs: Miles&More
I`ll be there in Feb. Im a little confused, will I get Benefits for titanium member? Or is it a lucky game?
Old Feb 25, 2020, 5:27 pm

This thread is not super active but wanted to throw in a few cents. I just completed a stay here on points. I'm ambassador elite. Book standard and got upgraded to a master suite. The room was massive with high ceilings. Overall, it was a great stay and I got all my member benefits including breakfast. I would say that the buffet was somewhat underwhelming.

I also had room service and that was fine. Service was great. Prices on good and beverage were around 80 percent of US prices so not terrible for a Westin.

Got a return offer for $299 for 5d/4nt RBC and bought it.
Old Sep 25, 2020, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Any post-Covid stays?
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
It looks like they are not offering the free Covid testing here - not a great sign
Old Jul 23, 2021, 12:36 pm

Programs: Alaska, Bonvoy, HH
Any newer data points?
I received the same offer Obsidian mentions above...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.