Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2018, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Checked in this afternoon, and for the first time ever, my RBC room was available at 1:30pm! At checkin I was offered a choice of amenities and took the full breakfast (l have tons of points, and was able to buy a nice Sauvignon Blanc at the local OXXO for 135 pesos ($7). Room was ok, (2620) full ocean view, tv seems limited to (aside from local Mexican channels) lots of sports & kids programs. I finally found a FOX station from FL?? But no ABC, NBC or CBS affiliates (at least that I could find). While I know there's construction going on, I didn't see or hear any of it. Yes, only the sports restaurant near the pool is open (along with the RBC Lounge), but I was offered a menu by the concierge which (he said), combined offerings from all of the restaurants. Sitting in the RBC lounge now and found the wine and beer offered, just fine. Food includes 2 deserts, chips with salsa, fruit, carrots and rolled slices of 'turkey ham' (yes, that is what it's labeled) and cheddar wedges. Not the best selection, but there are a lot of guests here who don't seem to mind. I was offered the Time Share presentation, and took the cash option ($50), again, no need for the points, and didn't feel like bargaining. Just here for 2 days at a pretty cheap rate, so no major complaints so far.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:53 am

This am, went down to the lounge to grab a cup of coffee to take back to myroom. At the elevator, a breathless waiter ran up to me with the zero balance bill to sign!! Also went to the timeshare presentation, my guy Eduardo was very low key, and assured me no problem if I said no. All went well, saw the rooms on the tour, heard the speech and at the end, he brought in his boss Carlos who was a bit more high pressure. Received offers of 300,000 Amex points, free 4-7 night trip back before signing on (if I left a deposit now that was fully refundable) etc. NO,, I want to think about it, so they then brought in Danielle who tried to sweeten the deal with a lower price, and even more points on Marriott & Amex. I was looking at a 1 bedroom with 10 nights a year at any of their (Vístana) properties, including Hyatts, Marriotts & others worldwide for $ 29,245 plus $ 800 closing costs. Yearly maintenance would be $1000. Still no, so they gave me my $ 50 credit toward my hotel charges and I left.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:10 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mauld
Still no, so they gave me my $ 50 credit toward my hotel charges and I left.
Geez, only 2 months ago they gave me 30k points ($230 in my books). Then margarita girl reported 20k pts ($150) for a couple or 10k solo, And now it's $50 (6k pts equivalent). Timeshare presentations are def a no go now if getting the points is the main objective (Marriott Vacations still offering 25k pts).
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by RafKa
Geez, only 2 months ago they gave me 30k points ($230 in my books). Then margarita girl reported 20k pts ($150) for a couple or 10k solo, And now it's $50 (6k pts equivalent). Timeshare presentations are def a no go now if getting the points is the main objective (Marriott Vacations still offering 25k pts).
Don't really care about the points, as I mentioned, I was originally offered 8,000 --interesting point though, several times in the past, both here and at similar resort Timeshare offers, I was told that as a 'single' I wouldn't qualify for any promotional offers! Today, they were pretty shocked when I declined their offers of higher and higher Amex plus Marriott points ... if I would sign up immediately. Guess they were used to most people being swayed by point accumulation.
PS- at check out, turns out I didn't use all of the $50 credit (actually less than $25), so they kindly offered to give me the full 8,000 points anyway ! Turns out the $50 credit, can't be used towards, tips, taxes or room charges and as I was in the RBC with free 'drinks and snacks' I didn't use much over what was given to me.

Last edited by mauld; Oct 4, 2018 at 3:09 pm
Old Oct 12, 2018, 4:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL-Plat, WN-CP | Hotels: Choice-Gld, IHG-Plt, Rad-Gld, HH-Dia, Hyatt-Glob, Marriott-LtPlt
Is there a minimum age for the Kids Club at this property?

I am considering a 2 bdrm villa for a family of 4 and wondering whether my 3-year old would be eligible.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 10:26 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by FindAWay

I am considering a 2 bdrm villa for a family of 4 and wondering whether my 3-year old would be eligible.
The Vistana website for the Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun state the Westin Kids Club is for children ages 4-12.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:52 am

Programs: BA Silver (OW Sapphire), A3 Gold (*G), Bonvoy LTTE, HHonors Diamond, LeClubAccor Silver, UA Silver
Originally Posted by FindAWay

Below the age of 4 parents are required to stay with their kids at all times.
FindAWay likes this.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 8:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by ILuvParis
I called Westin today to complete the $269 deal (coincidentally, they had left a message for me earlier in the day) because the dates I wanted (November, 2018) were not available when I made the deposit. They had told me that those dates would be available in March. Today, they told me those rooms should be available for booking in May.
Finally completed our stay last week (onto which we added 8 days in Playa del Carmen). The room we stayed at was pretty dumpy - the old Royal Beach Club building. Very worn. Lots of trouble adjusting the water temperature in the shower. All the regular hotel staff were great as was our "personal concierge." Unlike some here, we found the breakfast to be decent and the food at the cocktail hour to be good. Always lots of cold cuts and some really good stir fired vegetables every evening. We drank cava and they kept filling the glasses. We spent most of the time around the regular hotel's pools, which have been refurbished and are very nice, as are the common areas of the hotel.

The time share presentation was annoyingly high pressure (despite having repeatedly having been told it was no pressure at all). We have a condo in HI and had absolutely no interest from the get go. We did it because we were going to Playa del Carmen anyway, and for $269, why not? The guy who gave the initial spiel was nice and did a good job. Then came the woman with the financials, who was annoying. "So, you CAN, do it, you just don't WANT to do it!" Uh, that's right. Very pushy, with a fake sincerity. After we got rid of her, the "quality control" guy came in to do the "survey," which ended in more high pressure and trying to sell us another presentation within 18 months at the Laguna Mar (which we just happened to have looked in on one evening as we were touring about). It is mush nicer, but had no interest in the "deal" he was offering. Further, it was two hours of talk, not the 90 minute presentation we were told about. There were some interesting options if you're a Marriott/Westin point collector, however.

Final analysis, the room was worth about what we paid for it. Breakfast and happy hour made it worth it. As always, the Cancun water is gorgeous.
Old Nov 19, 2018, 9:00 am

Programs: BA GGL, British Midland Lifetime* Loser
Lots of cold cuts? Vegetables? Cava!? Wow, things have definitely been improved since March...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by ajamieson
Lots of cold cuts? Vegetables? Cava!? Wow, things have definitely been improved since March...
Lots of ham, turkey, cheeses, chips, guacamole. It was really quite tasty.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:28 am

Definitely changes then. In March everyone got given one of these mini-plates per person (strictly one per person). So it's possible the breakfast has also improved. We took the main breakfast as we were not upgraded to RBC so it wasn't worth the hike from the main building every morning.

Also it seems you got upgraded to RBC? Not always a given, so that's good...

Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:17 pm

I just assumed all of the people there for the time share presentation were housed in the RBC bldg. - which we were told will be the last to be renovated. It's hard to believe that is an upgrade as the room was pretty dowdy (although back in the day, perhaps not). Great view, however. Both breakfast and the cocktail hour were in the club in the RBC and were buffet style.
Old Nov 20, 2018, 1:41 pm

You had a view? Then it’s definately an upgrade; many of the main building rooms, including the one we were given, overlook the road/parking lot.

The unrefurbished main building rooms also had such terrible noise insulation. Would have given anything for an RBC room!
Old Nov 20, 2018, 2:56 pm

Old Dec 12, 2018, 2:54 pm

I’m curious if anyone has received their bonus miles for attending their timeshare presentation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.