Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Resort & Spa, Cancun, Mexico [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2013, 8:22 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, AA 2MM Platinum
Originally Posted by crazyhorse
Thanks StuckinITH!! Appreciate your offer.

My wife just received an email from the Westin concierge offering to make everything perfect for our stay including whether we preferred feather or foam pillows so that they could be appropriately arranged. Cant recall ever getting a similar email from Marriott in the past 8 years of being Plat.

The hotel has also offered an airport pickup in a van for up to 4 people for $35 which is comparable to other websites I found offering airport transfers. Any idea if this a shared van or exclusive? No biggie either way unless they keep me at the airport for an extended duration waiting for other people to show up. Anyone have any experience with the Westin operated shuttle?
Bump . . . as I have a family of 5 stay planned over New Years and wonder the best transportation option as well? (received the hotel call r.e. shuttle that they will set up as well).
Old Dec 11, 2013, 10:51 pm

Programs: LH SEN/*G, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Used the shuttle in November, was exclusive.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 1:43 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Crazy Horse,

We came back from our relaxing vacation at the Westin Cancun Resort and Spa.

The offer to visit the Westin LagunaMar resort is 6500 Starpoints or a $100 voucher to use for food or services at either hotel + the use of the facility (infinity pools) at the LagunaMar during the day of visit.

I read on another travel website somebody who complained that they would not heat the milk for their baby but the Director of Sales answered that she would retrain the employees as this should be a normal service offered to parents of little kids. So, if you have any problems just contact personally the Director of Sales. But I was surprised that those other people had problems because the people at Royal Beach Club were extremely nice and there were no requests that we made that would be answered by no.

Sixth time that we stayed at the RBC and it was better than ever. What we especially like is seeing the same employees each time we come and they remember us. And also remember what are our drinks of choice in the evening and after the first day they will even bring everything without us having to ask. Same thing at breakfast.
Old Dec 15, 2013, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hhonors Gold, SPG Platinum
I stayed here for a week back in October. The food is surprisingly good for a hotel, the staff are wonderful, friendly people, and the beach is beautiful. I was upgraded to a large room on the top floor (not what I would call a suite), and had no complaints with it. I went there for relaxation, and that's what I got.

I would definitely go back again. Probably as soon as next year.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Any insight how they treat a Gold member here?
Old Dec 19, 2013, 9:51 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA Ex Plat
Not sure why this property doesn't get more love..its a decent property and also offers all inclusive option (Lagunamar doesn't) Both as a Gold and a Plat ive been upgraded to the Royal Beach club and access to the lounge for breakfast along with happy hour drinks and light snacks. Another reason why I prefer this property over Lagunamar is the location, its located towards the start of the Hotel Zone next to Club Med and is on the quitter side as apposed to Lagunamar that is right in the midst of the Hotel Zone.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: United GS, Fairmont Platinum,SPG LTPlat, Hilton Diamond, MarriottGold..like the rest of the world
Originally Posted by xxpert
its located towards the start of the Hotel Zone next to Club Med and is on the quitter side ...
Well, I'm no quitter. But, it's clear that this hotel really isn't for everyone. It's not an ultra modern, sleek facility. It's a well run hotel in a location that some love, some hate. For folks that enjoy being surrounded by shopping and dining options or being a few blocks from dozens of diversions, this won't be the best choice for you. But, for those who appreciate a more serene experience with some distance to most of the city's offerings, this place can work just fine.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:43 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, United 1K, HH Gold, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Because I'm selfish I'm happy that this hotel is a best kept secret. I like going there in early December when it's rather empty and can enjoy with my wife a relaxing vacation in a real nice setting. We just spent a week there. This is our 6th time. It would have been our 7th time but Hurricane Wilma derailed it one time. Oops, sorry, another time we went to the Sheraton (which is where the Laguna Mar is now) because when we booked the Westin Cancun did not have any room left with balconies. And there's no way that my wife will accept to be vacationing at the beach in a room with no balcony. For this reason, I only book this Westin if there are rooms available in the Royal Beach Club. And not only that, I have my preferred wing in the RBC. If we don't get a room in that wing, my wife will be going to the front desk every day until she can change room. So, this year our stay was perfect. We got the same room where we stayed the first time there.

In the RBC the rooms are huge with a real nice balcony. I would say that the offerings for breakfast and in the evening were better this time than in our previous stays. I think this hotel has a new general manager and maybe this is a change that he implemented. But it was great. Especially, in the evening, in addition to cold and warm dishes, they have a special plated dish with 4 things that was especially elegant and delicious (my wife took pictures of it every day). For breakfast, the difference this time is that they had the things to make Mimosas or Bloody Marys (normally we would not indulge in that but hey we were on a vacation!). And they had more fruits than before (even raspberries).

There are plenty of palapas and umbrellas so there's no need to reserve a place early in the morning. The swimming and snorkeling near the Club Med is just perfect.

Still, what makes the vacation in this hotel special are the employees. We have met some that have been working there 19 or 22 years. But even the new trainees get the spirit of the place. And when we go in early December they have time to talk to the guests. So, it feels like meeting family again.
Old Feb 3, 2014, 6:13 pm

Does anyone know if they will let you upgrade a points stay to All-Inclusive?

thanks!
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What are the best options for transfers from the Airport?
Old Mar 3, 2014, 2:59 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by chexfan
If you read up about 5 posts there is a very good suggestion.
Old Mar 4, 2014, 10:32 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Originally Posted by chexfan
I always used the Airport shuttle. It's about $20 pp plus tip, comparable to Super Shuttle and the like. It's linked right off the airport's site.
Old Mar 21, 2014, 7:38 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by the4aces
Does anyone know if they will let you upgrade a points stay to All-Inclusive?

thanks!
Bumping this up because I have the same question. As a gold, I'm wondering what the chances are for upgrade to the RBC when I'm using points, or will I at least be given the opportunity to upgrade for pay? Any insight/experience would be welcome.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:01 pm

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Better deal for 7 nights at the Westin Cancun?

Looking at spending 7 nights at the Westin Cancun Resort in September ... does anyone know if resort hotels such as this offer a 7-night hotel package. I was just going to book 7 nights using our corporate rate, but given that this is a vacation destination, I wonder if there is something else I should be researching in terms of a better deal. Advice appreciated.
Old May 11, 2014, 10:49 pm

I don't think I saw any, but have you tried looking at the Offers section accessible from the hotel homepage on SPG.com? You usually see this sort of offer there. And it may not appear in the regular booking page

Edit:

I just had a look, there's something called Sunsational Savings which is basically 4 for 3, inclusive of breakfast and an upgrade where available. Maybe you could crunch the numbers and see if that suits you. Might even consider an 8th day if they allow for consecutive discounted bookings.

Last edited by travelswithmyself; May 11, 2014 at 11:15 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.