Old Jan 31, 2014, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: nacho
Print Wikipost

Copenhagen Marriott [Master Thread]

Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:11 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
Seems like it’s becoming a trend in Copenhagen with my experience at the Bella Sky. Basically the terms and conditions allow hotels to do as they please. For me, as a leisure traveller, I can choose the cities I visit so in future I’ll simply avoid Copenhagen. For those on business, hopefully suites won’t matter as much.
Do you pick your holiday destinations based on where you can get upgraded in your hotel?

To each his own, but I can think of a million more valid grounds when choosing where to spend my time off.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:25 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Milkman
Do you pick your holiday destinations based on where you can get upgraded in your hotel?

To each his own, but I can think of a million more valid grounds when choosing where to spend my time off.
No! I pick my holiday destinations based on where I can get BRGs :-)

Seriously, I actually always choose a European stopover on my way back to Asia from UK each year to 1) to save on high taxes out of London and 2) to experience new cities (almost paying for itself in tax saved). The overall quality of Marriott hotels and how they treat their elites is a factor. The choice in Copenhagen wasn’t impressive and as a very expensive city, you’d want those extra perks. I know that the Marriott is much more expensive than the other options (apart from the Design hotel) but I guess people prefer the location over upgrades there.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 9:45 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, SAS Eurobonus Silver, Connect Miles Gold, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Disc.
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
No! I pick my holiday destinations based on where I can get BRGs :-)

Seriously, I actually always choose a European stopover on my way back to Asia from UK each year to 1) to save on high taxes out of London and 2) to experience new cities (almost paying for itself in tax saved). The overall quality of Marriott hotels and how they treat their elites is a factor. The choice in Copenhagen wasn’t impressive and as a very expensive city, you’d want those extra perks. I know that the Marriott is much more expensive than the other options (apart from the Design hotel) but I guess people prefer the location over upgrades there.
^

Makes more sense then
You get very little bang for your buck in CPH when it comes to hotels (and restaurants for that matter). You often end up paying premium fares for rooms the size of a stamp.
Old Jan 20, 2020, 3:48 pm

Programs: LH Sen, Starwood Amb, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bmr12
Interesting. I was upgraded to a one bedroom suite back in May (2019) for five nights with SNAs. We faced Tivoli, which turned out to be an entertaining view day and night. Perhaps a rare circumstance in my Marriott life since I struggle to get upgraded in empty Fairfield Inns in central Iowa.
Actually, they said the SNAs are the only way to get the suites.
Old Aug 8, 2021, 7:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat
Quick review for anyone headed to CPH and staying at the Marriott.

Great location. The hotel is a short walk (even in the rain) to the train station. We walked family of 4 with luggage in about 10 min. The hotel is right on the water where you can easily access any and all parts of the city by bike.

Family of 4–only non suite option was booking 2 joining rooms. The COVID cost make it semi reasonable but note that in the 2Q rooms they only allow 3 people. Platinum upgrade was to high floor river side—a good upgrade as the rook cost is much higher on the river. Tools had some issues. Room 1 had no working AC, just a fan that sounded like it was dying. It was hot out too. Desk had it fixed while e we’re out. A light in the other room didn’t work nor did a few plugs. These were also fixed. I get that during Covid some things get overlooked but the hotel was running high occupancy and that’s basic stuff that should have been reported and fixed before check in. The ice machine room on our floor was also a mess. Open the door and it’s reeked of mold . There was water everywhere and someone had put towels on the floor that were now covered in mold. So it had been a while and no one did anything about it until we reported it the evening desk attendant. At that point they quickly .... the room down and worked on it—but seriously, who should a guest need to report a problem like that for a Public space that should be getting regular check ins?

Lounge was semi-open. Open for tea, snack and drinks in the evening. Breakfast was comped at the restaurant for Plats. Buffet was just fine—won’t win any awards but has all you would want. I understand that Platinum benefits only apply to 1 room but they gave us free breakfast foe both room all but one day for which they charged us for all 4. Odd. I asked about it and was basically told that if i wanted 2 of the breakfasts taken off for the one day then they would redo all of the charges and we’d have to pay for 2 everyday. It was very convoluted so we paid the $100 and grumbled away.

Bikes are available tor rent at the hotel for 150DK a day including one bike with a large cart in the front and a few children sized rides. Bikes were a bit of a mess. Two days in a row we couldn’t get rentals because all of the good bikes had been taken. We were told that the rest of the fleet (a little less than half of their bikes) all needed repair. Assume the bikes were a victim of Covid. Still, a major hotel can afford tune ups. Told on day 2 that we can reserve bikes in advance — a little late but helped us for days 3 and 4, esp the kids bike . We ended up getting at least one of our bikes each day from Donkey Republic, the bike share company. Two drop off site are very close to the hotel and you can see them in the app. It’s also less expensive than Marriott and the bikes are better. Downside is that you need a smartphone and account for each bike you rent.

No concierge but front desk was helpful—to a point. Don’t expect them to know much about public transport or make good restaurant recommendations. They know the basics + but it ends there. Off to the Internet for all other info.

You’ll need to shoot your vax cards (for Americans without the vax passport app) almost everywhere including breakfast, the bar… at Tivoli and restaurants. A photo from your phone works.

Finally the Marriott was helpful in directing us to the CPH free testing site for proof of negative test for the trip home. It’s over by the train station an was a easy and efficient process.

Hope that’s helpful. PM with any questions and travel safe.
joakgarp likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I was wondering why the heck haven't Ac Bella Sky and Marriott Copenhagen upgraded us from the standard basic rooms to anything better and then I read this thread and the recent posts lol. Coming in on Monday and Tuesday, one night each I'm expecting an upgrade as a Titanium with how many better room categories currently are available at both hotels.

Poor Danish service.

I'll ask reception in both hotels at check in about this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
AC Bella Sky has been pretty good at upgrading me, but it rarely showed in the app until morning of check in. This was in MR Platinum and Titanium days. Have not been back as Ambassador.

Copenhagen Marriott just seems to think that moving someone to a water view is a nice upgrade. Though apart from views and higher floors the rooms are very much the same. I actually prefer the city view to the water view.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2021, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Copenhagen Marriott just seems to think that moving someone to a water view is a nice upgrade. Though apart from views and higher floors the rooms are very much the same. I actually prefer the city view to the water view.
That was my conclusion during my one and only stay in 2013 and this is my stay away Marriott.
Old Nov 29, 2021, 12:29 am

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
AC Bella Sky has been pretty good at upgrading me, but it rarely showed in the app until morning of check in. This was in MR Platinum and Titanium days. Have not been back as Ambassador.

Just like that, in the marriott app, this morning Ac bella sky upgraded us to a Corner room. Trust in Danish service "restored" ;-) but no suite :-/
​​​
Old Nov 29, 2021, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Just like that, in the marriott app, this morning Ac bella sky upgraded us to a Corner room. Trust in Danish service "restored" ;-) but no suite :-/
​​​
There are no actual suites at the hotel. Various degrees of larger corner rooms.
small ring likes this.
Old Dec 1, 2021, 7:28 am

Just came back to Sweden from Cph. Overall had a nice stay at both hotels Ac Bella Sky and Marriott Cph.
Marriott Cph had that smell of citrus which I recognise very much from our stays in Asia and especially in Japan. My partner said she felt we were at Marriott Nagoya again haha.

Ac Bella Sky:
Nice and close to Öresundsbron and the highway E20. Parking is 150 Dkk with park service Easy Park. We were upgraded to a bigger corner about 34 kvm2 room which I liked but not my partner. Bed felt typical southern Europe and firm.
Breakfast was very basic and uninspiring for 180 Dkk. The hotel inside wasn't as impressive as on the outside but it did its job and staff were friendly.
​​​​​I'd only recommend to stay here with a car or if it's a business trip and you have work here. It's a bit far out with plenty of construction around and a typical business hotel I'd say. Had a better time at Ac Ulriksdal in Stockholm which felt a little bit more warm and with a nicer breakfast and restaurant.
Hotel was quick to respond on chat through Marriott App and early check in was no problem.
My rate 3/5 and I'm still fond of the Ac brand.
​​
Marriott Cph:
Second time we're staying here and location is key here with less than 10 min to the Tivoli.
We were upgraded to harbour view on highest floor. Basically same room size as the one we had back in 2016 but now it's renovated. Unfortunately they kicked out the bathtub and installed a nice spacious shower, though the water pressure from the rain shower is disappointing. Nice room otherwise.
Bed was great and partner preferred this room compared to the bigger one at Ac Bella Sky.
Parking was complimentary this time so we didn't have to pay the daily 270 Dkk. This was a nice gesture. The breakfast in the lounge was alright but no music or any sound in the background was weird. If we wanted the main breakfast it would cost us 95 Dkk/Pp which I regret we didn't. But I wasn't that hungry due the huge club sandwich from last nights room service. Maybe next time.
Hotel was a bit slow to respond on chat service and forgot some things to deliver to our room.
​​​​I rate it 4/5 due to the complimentary parking.
​​​
Both hotels do upgrades only on same day as check in, in the morning at about 8-9 Am CET.
Both hotels had junior suites available but both insisted to not upgrade to suites even though we're Titanium.

Now when we're back in travelling and visiting Marriott hotels I remember now about this huge disappointment with non starwood hotels like Marriott hotels insist to not give Platinums and above a full decent breakfast in the main restaurant. Sometimes the lounge breakfasts are amazing like at JW Marriott Hong Kong but most of the times it's just an airport breakfast at some lounge and always uninspiring.
​​​​​​I give 50-75 nights every year and Marriott can't afford to benefit us +Plats and above with full breakfast? Offer it as a welcome gift or something?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Thanks for the review! Do you know why they comped your parking? Status?
Old Dec 1, 2021, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by nacho
Thanks for the review! Do you know why they comped your parking? Status?
Due to status but can't say if it was an one time offer or always.
nacho likes this.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 2:18 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Due to status but can't say if it was an one time offer or always.
Did you stay at the Marriott on a package rate? Was the Marriott stay’s parking happening on the usual weekday/workdays?

I’m surprised they provided free parking based on status, especially as the usual recommended parking for the place is operated by a private company IIRC.
Old Dec 2, 2021, 5:51 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Did you stay at the Marriott on a package rate? Was the Marriott stay’s parking happening on the usual weekday/workdays?

I’m surprised they provided free parking based on status, especially as the usual recommended parking for the place is operated by a private company IIRC.
I was on an award stay but we did have some trouble getting a reply on their chat prior to our early check in and that could have been the reason.
Perhaps nice and politeness goes a long way lol.
GUWonder likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.