FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Lisbon Marriott, Portugal [Master Thread] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/737652-lisbon-marriott-portugal-master-thread.html)

LoveHateRelationship Apr 7, 2017 4:31 pm

Lisbon Marriott Hotel - Don't bother unless you have to stay here

Check In There's a single line for status members and that line was longer than the regular line. The service was incredibly slow to check in, what should have taken 10 minutes ended up being a 30 minute ordeal. Room The room was very old and dated. The beds were extremely uncomfortable (lumpy with springs on your back) and cleanliness left something to be desired. Dining The restaurant is located downstairs, my only exposure was to the conference food that was provided. Overall, the food was not very good, even by conference standards. The best meal was probably the breakfast although there were not enough chefs to make omelettes which meant a long queue if you wanted one. The lunch and dinner that was being served just was not very good. The only redeeming factor about those meals was the desserts. Service The service at this hotel was mediocre. I asked for a double occupancy room and was given a room with a king sized bed, when I explained that I wanted a room with 2 beds they seemed confused and reluctant to change anything. I had breakfast in the Gold lounge which, again, had mediocre service. The staff were hovering over me like they wanted me to leave quickly. For the most part, this place lacked the Portuguese hospitality that I had come to enjoy in Lisbon. Location The location of this hotel was terrible. There really is not around this hotel that is accessible by foot. Every trip out I needed to take an Uber if I wanted to get anywhere substantial. I would be prepared to rent a car if I way staying here for pleasure. Overall My overall impression about this hotel would be that it's definitely past it's prime. The lobby was very nice and modern but beyond that everything in this hotel needs a refresh. I would not stay here again unless I needed to.

ExArkie Apr 8, 2017 2:39 am

Not my experience at all. I was there last December (4 - 5 months ago). I had previously stayed there a few years ago, when I had business at the university hospital across the street. I found it perfectly acceptable and decided to stay there for leisure on the most recent trip.

Our room was updated with new carpet, new furniture, and a more bright and airy feel than a few years ago. The CL was relocated from a somewhat old-feeling room on the top floor to a new place just off the lobby. All new furnishings, a wall of windows, and exceptional service from the CL staff. They were more than happy to help us with whatever we needed. Food offerings were plentiful and quite tasty, served with Portuguese wines.

The gym could use an update, but they were working on that in December.

The area is not walking distance to the tourist attractions, but a walk of a few blocks in either direction puts you at Metro stations on two separate subway lines that will get you virtually anywhere you want to be. The Lisbon public transit system is great, with interconnected buses, trams, and trains. Never had a problem getting where we wanted to go with minimal effort and without using automobiles - Uber, taxi, or rental car. Totally unnecessary to have a car with that public transit system.

The hotel was, in my opinion, not outdated. They were in the midst of updating the parts that needed it, but had completed most of the modifications last December.

ozstamps Dec 16, 2017 8:52 pm

Have not stayed Marriott outside USA.

Booking for Marriott Lisbon in Portugal next week. Lounge access is 40 Euro a room more per night, so checking whether Gold gets it there as a benefit, or is it a site by site lottery in Europe? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/imag...es/biggrin.gif

Thanks in advance, as need to book this today.

Srisarin Dec 16, 2017 8:57 pm

Did you FIRST check Sharon’s sticky BEFORE asking this question - she goes to alot of trouble to keep it updated

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 29183034)

Booking for Marriott Lisbon in Portugal next week. Lounge access is 40 Euro a room more per night, so checking whether Gold gets it there as a benefit, or is it a site by site lottery in Europe? :D

SkiAdcock Dec 16, 2017 10:39 pm

Originally Posted by ozstamps (Post 29183034)

Booking for Marriott Lisbon in Portugal next week. Lounge access is 40 Euro a room more per night, so checking whether Gold gets it there as a benefit, or is it a site by site lottery in Europe? https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/imag...es/biggrin.gif

Did you see something in the Marriott T&Cs that excludes Europe from offering Gold/Plat bennies as outlined in T&Cs? That would be news to elite members.

Cheers.

Steve_19 May 4, 2018 1:13 am

My wife and I stayed at the Marriott Lisbon for four nights over this past Easter. I had stayed at the hotel in 2014 and decided to stay again as I thought the price was not bad and hotel was decent enough.

One major disadvantage is that the hotel is not centrally located. It is close to the airport but to get downtown one needs to cab it. Thankfully however cabs are not so expensive in Lisbon. In theory there is public transportation from the hotel to city center, but hard to get to on foot (at least was our experience).

Since I was here last, the executive lounge was moved to the ground floor. Lounge was so-so in general. As a gold member we ate breakfast there (not offered to use restaurant) and the offerings were OK. No cooked to order dishes however. Also the lounge got to be a bit busy. Evening selection was a bit on the small side, but what was offered was of good quality.

The room itself was a bit dated, but I did not feel it was in urgent need of a refresh.

The hotel has a large number of rooms for conferences and when I was last here was very busy with a large group in town. Thankfully this time it was not the case, but the hotel seems to be normally busy as several flight crews stay at the hotel.

In general I would not have any complaints about the hotel, but nothing to commend it on as well. Some pictures from our visit: https://www.thetravelingexpats.com/r...arriott-hotel/

SkiAdcock May 4, 2018 11:21 am

Thanks for the update. Much appreciated.

Cheers.

drjazz Mar 28, 2019 11:31 am

Looking to stay in August. Any update relative to the executive lounge offerings? How much is transport to/from the airport?

krazykanuck Jun 30, 2019 6:33 pm

I'm stayed here Fri-Sun a couple weeks ago. Would not have been my first choice, but I'm trying to get back to Plat and have double elite night credits through end of June. That plus my corporate rate knocked it down to a pretty good rate. I had a room on the third floor facing the street and it was quite dated, IMO. Carpet, furniture, all feels simply old. Lots of little nicks and damage on the furniture, baseboards, etc. Staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet in the restaurant is decent (included in my rate) and I enjoyed being able to eat breakfast outside. It's nice that there is a mini fridge for guest use and not full of mini bar crap. Not sure if I'd stay here again, well wouldn't have stayed here the first time if it weren't for the rate and Platinum quest, but would rather try the Doubletree which seems to be closer to town. The metro is a short walk though and it is very convenient to the airport.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...46c1dff9e3.png

arlflyer Jul 1, 2019 6:29 am

Originally Posted by krazykanuck (Post 31256355)
I had a room on the third floor facing the street and it was quite dated, IMO. Carpet, furniture, all feels simply old. Lots of little nicks and damage on the furniture, baseboards, etc. Staff is friendly and the breakfast buffet in the restaurant is decent (included in my rate) and I enjoyed being able to eat breakfast outside. It's nice that there is a mini fridge for guest use and not full of mini bar crap. Not sure if I'd stay here again, well wouldn't have stayed here the first time if it weren't for the rate and Platinum quest, but would rather try the Doubletree which seems to be closer to town. The metro is a short walk though and it is very convenient to the airport.[/IMG]

Based on the photo of the room (Sheraton has ultra "modern" circa Y2K rooms), the mention of eating outside (no outdoor dining at Sheraton), and your note that the DT is closer (it's across the street from the Sheraton), I'm 90% certain that you stayed at the Marriott, not the Sheraton.

EDIT: The above post was written in response to this review originally being mistakenly placed in the Sheraton thread. That being said...to the OP's point, the Sheraton is fairly dated (though in an early 2000's W/Virgin sort of way), the staff is extremely friendly (probably the nicest I've encountered in Europe), the breakfast buffet is quite good, rates are reasonable, and it's very close to the metro station. So, despite speaking of the entirely wrong hotel, the OP managed to write an approximately 75% accurate review of the Sheraton. Nice. :D

Oxon Flyer Jul 1, 2019 6:34 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31257625)
Based on the photo of the room (Sheraton has ultra "modern" circa Y2K rooms), the mention of eating outside (no outdoor dining at Sheraton), and your note that the DT is closer (it's across the street from the Sheraton), I'm 90% certain that you stayed at the Marriott, not the Sheraton.

I had a “Huh ?” moment when I saw that post too.

The right-angled window bay confirm it’s definitely the Marriott, so I’ve moved the post over from the Sheraton Lisbon thread.

lotemblizej Jul 1, 2019 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ExArkie (Post 28145915)
Not my experience at all. I was there last December (4 - 5 months ago). I had previously stayed there a few years ago, when I had business at the university hospital across the street. I found it perfectly acceptable and decided to stay there for leisure on the most recent trip.

The hotel was, in my opinion, not outdated. They were in the midst of updating the parts that needed it, but had completed most of the modifications last December.

I stayed for 3 nights in April 2019 and found the hotel had been updated since I last stayed there 5 years ago. Both the lobby and the rooms were greatly improved. The lounge was great, with lots of food options in the evening, some nice wine and beer, and also some good mid-day snacks, including a papaya smoothie that was very refreshing. The only downsides I saw was that the lounge attendants were a little heavy handed at times, insisting on pouring the wine even though it took them a while to do so given the crowds, and checkin was indeed more chaotic than at other Marriott properties in Europe.

But overall I found the property quite suitable and conveniently located near the metro, which is a fast 10-15 minute ride into the center of the city. If one wants to be in the center of Lisbon, this is probably not the hotel for you, but if you want a comfortable hotel with a nice lounge a short metro ride away, this works well.

krazykanuck Jul 1, 2019 8:28 am

Originally Posted by arlflyer (Post 31257625)
So, despite speaking of the entirely wrong hotel, the OP managed to write an approximately 75% accurate review of the Sheraton. Nice. :D

I mean your average Sheraton and Marriott are pretty generic, amirite?! ;) My bad though. I had meant to post this and got trigger happy when I saw Lisbon in the title. :o

hotelfanatic Aug 10, 2019 8:59 am

roll away in King room

I booked a room for 3 adults (no price difference from 2). Will a King room fit assuming they offer roll away

And from a recent post above, did the rooms also get a refresh?

mongobot Aug 22, 2019 8:39 pm

I just completed a recent stay here and am currently a Platinum Elite.

I booked a Superior King and was given an Executive King on checkin. Comparing room types it seems almost all of the King rooms are the same size and only differ based on view and floor. Based on that, if I were to stay there again I would probably just book a Standard King.

The bathroom was compact and had a walk in shower. The shower has no door but rather a partial glass divider so care needed to be taken not to get the floor wet while showering. Toiletries were Acca Kappa which I like and haven't seen in a hotel since staying at La Sirenuse in Positano.

The spread at the lounge at breakfast was ok with several hot items such as scrambled eggs, bacon, etc. but there was no variation from day to day. At times the lounge was quite crowded @ breakfast but I don't think I saw anyone get turned away.

The pool was pretty busy due to the warm summer weather and in fact it's not that big given the hotel size.

The elevators don't require a key card to access any of the floors.

Many airlines are using this hotel to overnight their crew. I noticed at least three different carriers there during my stay.

As previously mentioned, there are two subway lines (Azul & Amarela) on either side of the hotel. Both are about a 15min walk.

Although hotel was OK and the price here was pretty good, I would probably stay elsewhere when I return to Lisbon.