Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Lisbon Marriott, Portugal [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lisbon Marriott, Portugal [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2009, 12:50 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by kchilde
... I would like to point out that the computer in the lounge is completely free. ....
Thanks for the update re the computer in the lounge being free now.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 8:49 am

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
I stayed there recently, and agree with most of what has been said. I arrived Friday night and stayed until Monday.

Check-in was nice, and staff was friendly and helpful. Made a recognition of my status, and handled the check-in perfectly. The associate at check-in told me about the lounge, free breakfast as a platinum in the restaurant and even told me that I should use the computer in the lounge instead of the in-room internet as the lounge computer was free to use.

The lounge was open on the weekend, though they only had some pastries in the morning and snack food in the evening for food. Perhaps the selection is better during the week? I only saw non-alcoholic drinks.

I only ate breakfast in the restaurant one day. It was a buffet. It was fine, neither bad not exceptionally good.

The room was very nice. The bed was soft, and there was ample space to stretch out and a nice desk area for working (though I was on vacation so I didn't do any work). Bathroom was a decent size, though the tub was rather small for a soak.

The hotel itself is an average Marriott property. It is clean and efficient, but not dazzling and luxurious.

The location was my biggest problem. As a first-time tourist to Lisbon, I found the location far removed and quiet. The nearest metro station is about 10-15 minute walk away, though you have a choice of going to either the University stop on the Yellow line or the Zoo stop on the blue line. The blue line goes right to the centre of town. I would have preferred to have been closer.

The location is very close to the university and a large medical centre. Most of the guests at the hotel seemed to be either conference attendees or people working / visiting the medical centre based on the conversations I overheard in the elevators and lounge. Lots of stuff on doctors and drugs.

You can take the Aeroshuttle from the airport to the hotel. I left from Oriente station, and it was easy to get to by taking a train from Sete Rios train station about a 15 minute walk away.

I probably wouldn't stay there again if in Lisbon unless I was working near the hotel. Otherwise, I'd get a place closer to the centre. If in the area though, it is a fine hotel to stay at.

Cheers,
Greg

P.S. edited to add: Computer in the lounge is free, but does not have a printer. However, they will print out your boarding pass in the Business lounge on the ground floor for free, I was told. I was leaving by train, so didn't get to test that.

Last edited by GregWTravels; Nov 15, 2009 at 8:53 am Reason: Add more on computer in lounge.
Old Nov 15, 2009, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels

The location was my biggest problem. As a first-time tourist to Lisbon, I found the location far removed and quiet. The nearest metro station is about 10-15 minute walk away, though you have a choice of going to either the University stop on the Yellow line or the Zoo stop on the blue line. The blue line goes right to the centre of town. I would have preferred to have been closer...................................

I probably wouldn't stay there again if in Lisbon unless I was working near the hotel. Otherwise, I'd get a place closer to the centre. If in the area though, it is a fine hotel to stay at.
Nice update.
Re hotel location and its being far from city center. All that is correct.
My experience has been to use buses and subway to go to city center. All took about 45 to 50 minutes day/night.
Note that there are at least 3 buses stop right in front of the hotel (one bus-stop on the hotel side of road in the direction of the medical center; the other on opposite side of road in front of Catholic University (alight on way back to hotel). All quite convenient. One can also buy day pass for all public transportation (buses, subway, trams, elevators etc....).
Old Nov 15, 2009, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just adding to Greg's accurate post about the Lisbon Marriott...

While the Aeroshuttle is an option at 3.50 Euros, a taxi from the airport is usually no more than 10 Euros (on weekends, when it's higher and including the 1.60 Euro per bag surcharge, and tip).

That said, Lisbon taxi drivers are famous for gouging people to or from (usually from) the airport, especially Americans.
Old Nov 16, 2009, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by LessO2
That said, Lisbon taxi drivers are famous for gouging people to or from (usually from) the airport, especially Americans.
This warning was all over the travel forums. When I hopped into a cab from the airport, I simply pointed at the meter with a smile. The driver acknowledged immediately. It took about 15 minutes from airport to hotel by cab.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any recent updated to this thread? Is the concierge lounge still closed on weekends?
Old Sep 26, 2010, 4:57 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
It may be worth noting that the hotel was not always a Marriott and perhaps even today might not be recognized by some people in Lisbon. I have stayed there and would not return. Bland experience, and not located near much.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I was there over Christmas when the place was empty. Instead of upgrading me (i.e. as a Plat Prem) they asked me to purchase and upgraded room. Not cool at all.

Not on my list of top Marriott visits.

The buses are doable but they are not the most frequent running buses especially after 9pm.
Old Sep 26, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: LH SEN, FB Plat., HH D.
I stayed in this property in at the beg. of 2009, for 1 night(Sat to Sun).

At time of check in they upgraded me to a Executive room and granted Concierge lounge access.
At that time the lounge was opened on weekends.
Old Sep 27, 2010, 12:50 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
Stayed here at Easter 2010 (~5months ago); Exec lounge was open and had a nice terrace with a pleasant view over a green valley. Negative was the lack of any hot food at breakfast and quite a limited choice that wasn't refilled (so getting there at 8am meant a lot of choice, by 10am there wasn't much variety). Evening nibbles/apetizers were however plentiful, Portuguese, hot and tasty. As a platinum I was upgraded to an exec room whilst staying on a cheap (ish) 3 for 2 rate for 4 nights over the whole Easter break.

As others have mentioned, the hotel isn't that close to the city centre, there is a nearby bus stop (2mins) or the metro station is a 20minute walk away (quite easy to find once you know the way), but the buses from the city centre didn't go to the hotel - you would probably need to change at least once from any of the tourist locations.

If I went back to Lisbon for tourist purposes I wouldn't stay here and would try somewhere closer to the centre - primarily as it takes almost an hour to get from the hotel to the main sights, and since if you get to the sights early in the morning you get a little more peace and quiet this meant earlier starts than if we were right in the middle of everything.

PS: Taxi from the airport also tried to rip us off getting here by double counting the airport surcharge, as we arrived late at night. As such if I did come again I'd get the hotel car (even though more expensive) to avoid the hassle the doorman helped us sort that out particular issue successfully.

Last edited by littlevoices; Sep 27, 2010 at 12:55 am
Old Oct 8, 2010, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
The hotel is just your standard Marriott, nothing special. It is about a 20 minute walk to the nearest metro station, which then is a straight shot into the city center. Definitely not a convenient location for tourists, but if you can handle the walk to the metro (which is what I did every day), it is doable.
I stay there alot and actually walk into downtown [about 1/2 hour]
Old Oct 15, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: UA-1K, MR-PP, *wood Gold, Hertz Gold
I stayed at this property last month. The location is not great, but the metro and buses are not that far, and most evenings we took a taxi into downtown.

The clounge seems to be very short staffed. They only had one guy working there the three days I was there. He was there in the morning and late at night. Needless to say, he had a very hard time keeping the lounge cleaned up and food served. He also took away everything at the extact appointed time. So if you show up a minute after 10am there is nothing out for breakfast (actually even if you show up at 930 there was nothing since he was busy trying to clean up the place). The clounge still has a computer for free.

I did have trouble checking in and out (they kept trying to change the price of my rooms) and we had issues with housekeeping. They put the extra pillows on top of the unit with the tv which had a light on top--this led to the pillows being singed--a major saftey issue in my mind. Housekeeping also kept leaving stacks of pillow cases/sheets/towels in our rooms.

The front desk kept trying to stear us to expensive and touristy places to eat. Better off going to old town and just finding a place.

All in all, I will not be staying at the Lisbon Marriott on my next trip.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, MR TITANIUM 2M, HH DIA, Hyatt EXP, BW DIA, IC AMB, IHG PLAT, UA GLD
Any updated comments on this property? Particularly in reference to internet connection quality and lounge access on weekends and weekdays.

Thanks
Old May 3, 2011, 5:50 am

Programs: UA- Pl (2MM), AA-Go, Delta-Silver, Hyatt-Globalist!, MR/SPG comb - Plat, Hilton - nada
I will be staying at the Lisbon Marriott next week - will try and update info in this thread.
Old May 3, 2011, 6:16 am
Suspended

Programs: Marriott - P; HH - G; Hyatt - P; Avis - LT First
Stayed over weekend last month - lounge is open. WiFi provided.
Only drawback I had with this hotel is they had no idea how to use Marriott gift card to pay checkout bill.

Originally Posted by fmkgb
Any updated comments on this property? Particularly in reference to internet connection quality and lounge access on weekends and weekdays.

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.