Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, IL [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Westin Lombard Yorktown Center, IL [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:13 pm

Programs: UA MM/1K, SPG Lifetime Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, Natl Exec Elite
Booked 2 paid rooms over Thanksgiving weekend (on an admittedly bargain rate, not that that's supposed to matter); we were "upgraded" to similar non-suite rooms on Exec floor even though the hotel was essentially empty for 2 of the 4 nights (there were several busloads of families attending a youth hockey tournament on the other 2 nights). Beds were NOT Heavenly beds, and the sheets were barely 4P quality (good towels, though, so not everything was substandard). Rooms were ok, but for a Westin property this one was disappointing. On the other hand, it beat the Marriott in Burr Ridge...
Old Mar 11, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Has anyone stayed at this property recently ?

I’m going next month and I was wondering how they are doing.

Thanks in advance.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 11:25 am
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
Originally Posted by Wembleygal
Has anyone stayed at this property recently ?
I have stay there 5 times since the opening (last stay was Jan 3) and they have solved a lot of the problems that showed up after opening. The staff is now better trained, card keys work reliably and some confusing signage has been changed. As a Platinum I have always been upgraded to a suite.
Old Mar 11, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K 3MM Lifetime, AA PlatPro,Marriott Titanium Elite Lifetime, Hyatt Globalist
I have about 5 stays here as well and plan more in the future. I've found the staff very friendly and helpful. Rooms are comfortable - heavenly bed/shower all new. Access the Plat. lounge for appetizers and breakfast. Food at both times is very good. Nice health club and indoor pool. The neighboring shopping center has plenty of restaurant choices covering a wide price range.
Old Mar 12, 2008, 11:31 am

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
thanks for the responses !
Old Mar 13, 2008, 11:42 am

Stayed here 2 nights ago. Reserved a standard king room and as a plat, got upgraded to a king room (not a suite) on the Executive Floor. Check-in clerk failed to mention the availability of the lounge but I arrived too late and checked out early to enjoy.

Only thing I haven't seen mentioned is the guest room has a 37" LG HDTV. From what I can remember, you get the major networks in HD (NBC, ABC, CBS) but other channels like ESPN are regular analog quality.
Old Mar 17, 2008, 1:27 pm
Community Director Emerita

Does parking continue to be free?

What is the charge for internet?
Old Mar 17, 2008, 2:10 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Does parking continue to be free?

What is the charge for internet?

For sure parking is free. They also have a free garage.

not sure about internet
Old May 5, 2008, 3:43 am
Community Director Emerita

We had a very pleasant one night stay.

Parking is free. There is an adjacent parking garage that I recommend, given Chicago's unpredictable weather.

Internet was comped because I am platinum, and internet is free on the executive floor.

I was initially told I had been upgraded to a room on the executive floor. I asked about a junior suite, as the website had shown them available. I was told htat housekeeping had not prepared them. The hotel had several youth orchestera groups staying during a competition. It was my impression that some different furniture configurations had been used, and the rooms needed to be returned to their standard set up.

Regardless, the young lady found an executive suite. This was a bit of an odd bird, though we were very grateful for it. You walk down the hall and see double doors to the suite. You walk into a vesibule, with locked doors to the right and left. On the right is a sitting room and a kitchen bar area. There is a flat panel TV. There is no bathroom. To the left, you have your standard bedroom. The bathroom is at the far end, so not very practical to be used by people in both rooms. Neither door could to be propped open. We got bean bag door openers in order to keep the rooms available to each other.

We were well content with the hotel and the area and would definitely return.
Old May 10, 2008, 11:54 am

Programs: AA Plat, UAL Premier Exec, SPG and HH Gold
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Internet was comped because I am platinum, and internet is free on the executive floor.
I am here right now, and am on the executive floor. I don't think it's right that internet is free on the executive floor, but I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I check out.

This property has definitely worked out the kinks. The lounge is great -- breakfast from 6-9 (even on Saturday -- pretty early) and evening from 6-9. They have a lot of wonderful sweets in the evening as well as a few non-sweet options. (The key lime thing is delicious, and the churros are great.) During the day, while they don't advertise it, they put out strawberries, cookies, popcorn and sodas, a really nice touch.

Staff is very friendly, training issues seem to have been resolved, and the hotel seems to be settling into the groove well.
Old Jul 12, 2008, 7:48 pm

Programs: AA gold, SPG Plat,
What would you do...

Wife and I are celebrating our 5 year anniversary. We cancel reservation at westin river north to stay at lombard because wife has always been impressed with staff. Called concierge and was told they'd be glad to have a welcome gift in room upon arrival and recommend a local florist and restaurant.

may sound petty, but...
nothing in room upon arrival at 3pm and no mention of our occasion.
Went to concierge at 6:45 to inquire, but she was gone for the evening.
Front desk called service express and was told they had no clue what it was but would send something up for us.
9pm: nothing in room, nothing delivered.

do I....
call again, and possibly appear like a nag after a free gift
or let it go, it was probably not much anyway
or... just be disappointed and regret cancelling at westin river north.

???
- A husband of 5 years let down by his westin
Old Sep 17, 2008, 3:56 pm

Stayed over Sept. 16-17, 2008. Stayed in Room 1421, a corner suite. It has a very nice layout, including a large living room are and an oversized bathroom, but is not a "suite" in the sense of having any separation between the living and sleeping areas. No complaint per se, just a comment.

Of note, I checked in with two other colleagues, one Gold and the other with no status. Both were upgraded to corner suites as well, although both found their rooms had yet to be cleaned at 6PM. The Gold was given room 1306, a which also features a small kitchenette and a very, very ample balcony with a couple of lounge chairs and a table and chairs with a nice view of downtown Chicago (and a fleet of aircraft) towards the horizon.
Old Feb 22, 2009, 8:53 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond

Westin Lombard Yorktown Center

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

70 Yorktown Center Lombard, IL US 60148

Westin Lombard Yorktown Center (6 Photos)

Alright folks. Here's another review of one of my recent stays.

Booked a standard Kingroom at a very nice government rate of about $110. On the day of arrival I accessed my reservation and noticed I wasupgradedto a Executive Club level King but not a suite as I usually hope but don't expect.

Check In

Arrivalto the hotel was uneventful. I did my homework, as I usually do, and noted that there were a wide variety of suites still available for booking for my one night stay on Friday Feb 20th. On a side note, this is a brand new Westin construction that I believe opened as of 2007 so the facilities IMHO are top notch and have yet to show any significant wear and tear. On check-in, I waited for a good 10 minutes at the front desk with two other guys before I yelled out to the Valet if he could possible inquire if anyone was available to help us. Big thumbs downon that one but after a minute a Front Desk Agent magically appeared from what I'm guessing was a break room.

The Front Desk Agent was very nice and professional on my check-in though did fail to notice I had been at this particular hotel a few times in the past as well my Platinum status to which I prompted that I would take the Platinum Amenity points. I kindly asked what kind of Platinum upgrade I received (which I already knew) and was told I was upgraded to a King Club Level room non-suite. As in the first paragraph I noted I was pre-upgraded on the day of arrival to a Club Level room even though there were a wide variety of suites still available for booking on SPG.com. I of course did not know which of these suites were considered to be standard select suites. On prompting I asked if any suites were available and was told none were available. Further inquiry and with my statement that I understand if housekeeping were still cleaning the suites that I would happily wait for one if one was available. She stated no problem and allowed me to check in the Club Level room and simply asked me to call in 45 minutes and ask for her and she would take care of me. She definitely went beyond the call of duty as I expressed that I didn't want to "dirty" a clean room but she insisted that I check into the room I had originally booked. My fiance and I stayed about 5 minutes in a pretty standard King... dropped our dogs off and proceeded to enjoy some cocktails at Harry Carey's.

Room

Approximately 45 minutes later, our great FDA gave us keys to a lovely corner suite, room 721 if anyone is interested and let me tell you that although it has no clear separation from the Living Room to the Bedroom it is quite large and has expansive windows and a huge bathroom! Essentially as you may be able to tell from my pic below there is a sitting area with a loveseat couch and chair and one 37 inch LCD Tv, desk to the other side and bed adjacent to the bathroom wall. I'm guessing this suite is about 5-600 square feet.

Small foyer

Panoramic Photo with my iPhone. Hopefully this gives you a sense of the size of the room.

Lovely Corner Suite with combined Living Room and Bedroom

The bathroom as I noted is quite large with a separate heavenly shower with awesome water pressure and big enough to fit at least three people as well as a large bathtub.Not a jacuzzi tub but alas enough to satisfy the soon to be wifey.

Bathroom

Dual Sinks

And of course the obligatory artwork/sculpture from the porcelain throne. The throne is separated from the bathroom by a pocket door.

Artwork

Service

Room Serviceis one thing we didn't try on so I can't really comment on it.

We brought our two dogs with us... Teddy is our senior rescue dog that we decided to give a good home and spoil and this was his first trip away from home... unfortunately he got a little car sick on our way down and left us a pleasant surprise in the car. Lesson learned... never feed your rescue dog before a road trip! Our other dog, Bella has been on the road with us quite a bit and stayed at many of Starwood hotels with her dachshund sister Sophie who we unfortunately and sadly just put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. Bella, however, will be the spoiled dog who gets to go to Mexico with us in a few days. Anyways, we managed to snag a Westin dog bed. I initially was promised a dog bed on arrival to the hotel... then was told by Service Express that sorry Dr. Sleepdoc we ran out of dog beds and bowls. I was a little peeved but they called back a few minutes later and managed to find a bed. Teddy our Terrier was quite happy and slept quite soundly on it all night long. He had a long trip as I mentioned previously!

Our dogs on the Westin Heavenly Dog Bed

Dining

Diningoptions at the hotel include a pretty good seafood restaurant called Holy Mackerel. We didn't dine at this restaurant this time around but did sample it on our last trip to this particular Westin. Quite honestly the seafood wasn't that memorable but my fiance loved their signature cocktail with the same name.... imagine a hand muddled mixture of ginger infused syrup with fresh rosemary and strawberries, Patron orange liquor, and Absolut Pear Vodka sitting over a lime wedge and add'l fresh rosemary. Sounds a little weird but it's quite good! She got the recipe from the bartender this time so I'm sure I'll see these cocktails made in our house in the future!

Harey Carey's (a small Chicago chain named after the famous Cubs broadcaster) is the restaurant just adjacent to Holy Mackerel... it's labeled as a steakhouse. Didn't partake in eating at Harey's but did have a few drinks there. Cocktails/beers are Chicago prices... expensive that is!

Amenities

Fitness Center and Poolare quite nice. Both are located on the 2nd floor. New Life Fitness machines with 5 treadmills, 3 stationary bikes, 2 elliptical trainers, and a few machines and assorted free weights. There's a large indoor pool adjacent to the fitness center as well as a large hot tub and sauna. Outside there is a terrace that has lounge chairs in the summertime for people to bathe in the sun. In addition I believe there are two terrace suites that have an enclosed gated area.

Club Loungeis on the 18th floor. In the morning they have fresh coffee, orange juice, bottled water assorted pastries/breads, cereals, and fresh fruit. No hot items nevertheless it was definitely appreciated. Breakfast I believe was from 6-9am. I believe at night as others have posted their are hor doerves and beverages but we didn't partake on the offerings at night so can't really comment on the quality.

Overall

Overalla great stay at a newly constructed Westin. I'm not quite sure why we were just pre-upgraded to a Club Level room as the hotel was quite empty on our visit which was confirmed by our desk agent. I realize suite upgrades are based on quite a few variables but with the state of the current economy and the mere fact that the hotel was quite empty it would lead one to believe that upgrades would be quite easy. Nevertheless we only got a suite with my prompting as well patience as we had to wait for housekeeping to finish cleaning the room. We enjoyed our stay but just note that YMMV for a suite upgrade.

Next reportwill be the Westin Puerto Vallarta. Pics as well as extensive review to follow!

Would you like to write a review on the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Feb 22, 2009, 9:41 pm

SleepDoc,

Sounds like the Westin Lombard exceeded your expectations. Thanks for another amazing review. Your dogs are adorable. One question, did you go into Downtown Chicago at all and if so how far is this property from there? Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2009, 7:08 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: National Executive, AAdvantage Platinum, SPG Platinum, FPC Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by WScottsdaleInsider
SleepDoc,

Sounds like the Westin Lombard exceeded your expectations. Thanks for another amazing review. Your dogs are adorable. One question, did you go into Downtown Chicago at all and if so how far is this property from there? Thanks!
Thanks! Downtown Chicago is not really that convenient from this hotel. You can take I-88 which is a few miles from the hotel to I-290 by car and depending on traffic could feasibly be downtown in 40 minutes but more likely would be well over an hour. The other option is taking the commuter train Metra from Downers Grove which is probably about 5-10 minutes away from the hotel.

If you're just looking for shopping and some decent dining options Oakbrook Mall is about 5 minutes away from the hotel too. It's a nice area! We primarily stayed there visiting my parents. Hope this helps!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.