Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia

Marriott Bonvoy Hotels in Zagreb, Croatia

Old Mar 23, 2014, 3:43 pm

Das Westin hat nach wie vor keine Lounge.
Wie sieht's beim Sheraton aus? Hat jemand aktuelle Infos?

"The Westin still has no lounge. : td:
What's going on at the Sheraton? Does anyone have current info?"

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Mar 25, 2014 at 7:36 am Reason: Add google translation.
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:15 am

Programs: LH SEN, BA Silver, HH SILVER, Bonvoy PLAT, A/club PLAT, Hyatt Diamond
Currently at Sheraton Zagreb on 6th floor.

Heavy construction work on all 5th floor.

Renovation ??
Old Feb 26, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Yes, all rooms are to undergo renovation by June 2015, while a Club Lounge will be added at a later date. (source: the GM of the hotel)
Old Jun 23, 2015, 3:53 pm

Stayed early June. Renovation is not complete.

I am gold, got an "executive room" on top floor. The room seemed like standard furnishings, albeit more space. Which was empty and kind of weird.

I called on day of check out and requested 4pm. I was told that they would need to call me back. Already a departure from standards.

When I received the call back, I was told that 3pm was the absolute latest I could stay and it would be a real burden on them. I pointed out that 4pm is a guaranteed benefit (this is clearly not a resort hotel), but was again told that 3pm was the best they could do and that I would be putting them out by staying until then.

No attempt at any recovery. As I wrote to the front desk manager when he followed up to my survey response, it was bad enough to be denied a guaranteed benefit. But then on top of that to be made to feel guilty by settling for a reduced benefit and then no attempt at making things better was very very poor. An offer for lunch and drink at 3pm would have made me write a very positive review. Instead, understand that they think that guaranteed benefits are negotiable and you may be made to feel guilty for asking.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 6:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Stayed at the Sheraton last week on C&P. I wasn't impressed. I asked for a room with a good view + close to the elevator. I got a room with a view of some parking spots, as far away from the elevator as could be. I called back, pointed out that my requests weren't met, and suddenly a room right by the elevator was available. Although the rest of the stay was unremarkable, that really ruined it for me.
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pewpew
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Stayed at the Sheraton last week on C&P. I wasn't impressed. I asked for a room with a good view + close to the elevator. I got a room with a view of some parking spots, as far away from the elevator as could be. I called back, pointed out that my requests weren't met, and suddenly a room right by the elevator was available. Although the rest of the stay was unremarkable, that really ruined it for me.
AFAIK since the height of the Sher is low there really arent any views to be had, for that you needed to stay @ The Westin where there are some great views of the city from the top floors

Last edited by craz; Jun 24, 2015 at 12:21 pm
Old Jun 23, 2015, 7:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Stayed early June. Renovation is not complete.

I am gold, got an "executive room" on top floor. The room seemed like standard furnishings, albeit more space. Which was empty and kind of weird.

I called on day of check out and requested 4pm. I was told that they would need to call me back. Already a departure from standards.

When I received the call back, I was told that 3pm was the absolute latest I could stay and it would be a real burden on them. I pointed out that 4pm is a guaranteed benefit (this is clearly not a resort hotel), but was again told that 3pm was the best they could do and that I would be putting them out by staying until then.

No attempt at any recovery. As I wrote to the front desk manager when he followed up to my survey response, it was bad enough to be denied a guaranteed benefit. But then on top of that to be made to feel guilty by settling for a reduced benefit and then no attempt at making things better was very very poor. An offer for lunch and drink at 3pm would have made me write a very positive review. Instead, understand that they think that guaranteed benefits are negotiable and you may be made to feel guilty for asking.
I hear ya but they did it seems Upgrade you to an Executive room on the top floor. I would have worked with them on the late check-out or said OK forget the Upgrade and put me in the room type I booked and I will take a 4pm checkout

I stayed here for a weekend a couple of yrs ago, liked the hotel and staff very much. Was given a nice suite on the top floor and gave it up after the 1st night, they went out of their way to find me a great room on a low floor for the remainder of my stay

Youd be amazed what occurs when you are willing to work with a hotel. Had it with the Westin in MAD, was UPed to a large suite wa sstaying 1night, but I needed to checkout at 7pm , I asked for the mgr and tried to make a deal how about giving me your smallest room even 1 double bed with a 7pm checkout. He said he appreciated the offer but has to decline it, he leaned over the FD and told the person to please mark down that Mr craz will be staying in the suite assigned and has a free 7pm checkout. I was serious about the smallest and worst room the 7pm checkout was vital and I thought a 4 or 5pm would be OK and till I got to MAD did I see it wouldnt be

Last edited by craz; Jun 23, 2015 at 7:15 pm
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:18 am

Originally Posted by craz
I hear ya but they did it seems Upgrade you to an Executive room on the top floor. I would have worked with them on the late check-out or said OK forget the Upgrade and put me in the room type I booked and I will take a 4pm checkout

I stayed here for a weekend a couple of yrs ago, liked the hotel and staff very much. Was given a nice suite on the top floor and gave it up after the 1st night, they went out of their way to find me a great room on a low floor for the remainder of my stay

Youd be amazed what occurs when you are willing to work with a hotel. Had it with the Westin in MAD, was UPed to a large suite wa sstaying 1night, but I needed to checkout at 7pm , I asked for the mgr and tried to make a deal how about giving me your smallest room even 1 double bed with a 7pm checkout. He said he appreciated the offer but has to decline it, he leaned over the FD and told the person to please mark down that Mr craz will be staying in the suite assigned and has a free 7pm checkout. I was serious about the smallest and worst room the 7pm checkout was vital and I thought a 4 or 5pm would be OK and till I got to MAD did I see it wouldnt be
Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my other post:

I asked the hotel to honor one of the guaranteed benefits for my elite status. Not only was I denied after a lengthy wait and discussion, I was made to feel guilty for asking. I don't know how I'm supposed to "work with the hotel" in that instance. They were not offering me the benefit. They were not offering me anything else. It is not incumbent on me to think of ways for them to make a service recovery after a service failure -- that's on them.

It was a two-night stay. Are you saying that when I checked in and they offered me an upgraded room (more on that in a second), it should have occurred to me at that time to ask whether or not they would honor the guaranteed benefit or not? Out of stays at something like 60 starwood hotels around the world, this is the only non-resort property that refused to honor the guarantee.

About that upgraded room. Yes, it was top story of a six-story hotel. The view was of the hotel roof. The room itself was larger than typical, but again, that extra space sat empty. There was an old pants iron against the wall. There was nothing special about the room.

Again, I want to emphasize that my complaint is that they did not give me a guaranteed benefit, made me feel guilty for asking, and then did not attempt any sort of recovery. I do not think any of that is on me.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 9:27 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Stayed at the Westin a few weeks ago. Part of a bus tour, but they still honored status and gave me nice corner room on a high floor. (They had the "dining in the sky" crane at the hotel that week and we could look out our window at the participants). Very nice property. We enjoyed the location because it was an easy (10-15 minute) walk into the center of the city.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 11:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS

Originally Posted by craz

AFAIK since teh height of the Sher is low there really arent any views to be had, for that you needed to stay @ The Westin where there are some great views of the city from the top floors
I'm aware, but even a street view would have been better than what we got. My main issue is with the long walk to the room; my companion has mobility issues.

And there was no water in the room
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by adventureadam
Sorry, I don't think I was clear in my other post:

I asked the hotel to honor one of the guaranteed benefits for my elite status. Not only was I denied after a lengthy wait and discussion, I was made to feel guilty for asking. I don't know how I'm supposed to "work with the hotel" in that instance. They were not offering me the benefit. They were not offering me anything else. It is not incumbent on me to think of ways for them to make a service recovery after a service failure -- that's on them.

It was a two-night stay. Are you saying that when I checked in and they offered me an upgraded room (more on that in a second), it should have occurred to me at that time to ask whether or not they would honor the guaranteed benefit or not? Out of stays at something like 60 starwood hotels around the world, this is the only non-resort property that refused to honor the guarantee.

About that upgraded room. Yes, it was top story of a six-story hotel. The view was of the hotel roof. The room itself was larger than typical, but again, that extra space sat empty. There was an old pants iron against the wall. There was nothing special about the room.

Again, I want to emphasize that my complaint is that they did not give me a guaranteed benefit, made me feel guilty for asking, and then did not attempt any sort of recovery. I do not think any of that is on me.
My bad,I now see you were talking about The Sheraton for some reason I thought you were staying @ The Westin.

Ive only stayed at The Westin. That said yes a 4pm should have been honored, no matter what. Only thing I dont know is if the Executive room they gave you was in the upgrade pool or not.If it is then yes both should have been had, if not then I would have decided which was more important to me a room not in the Up pool or the 4pm checkout. If its in the pool then I agree both should have been yours.

Next time try The Westin and hopefully youd get a very high floor with a view towards the upper city area. As I said they were extremely accomadating to this Plat.
Old Jun 24, 2015, 12:31 pm
Suspended

I'm aware, but even a street view would have been better than what we got. My main issue is with the long walk to the room; my companion has mobility issues.

And there was no water in the room
On a stroll thru the city I went out of my way to checkout The Sher, I was thrilled I booked The Westin once I saw that there werent any rooms with a view to speak of. A lounge would have been nice but I knew I didnt really need it that trip

The Sher was nicer lobby wsie and didnt look like a typical old Soviet hotel like The Westin, But outside of that The Westin was my place to go whenever I head back there. Besides its closer to where I needed to be , not that The Sher is that far away
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:45 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat Pro, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Hey all,

I just finished reading this whole thread. It appears people generally like the Westin more. It seems they like the views and although it is slightly further from the old town, not terribly so. However, it also appears the Sheraton is just completing a renovation does anyone know if it is complete yet? The reviews are almost similar on both SPG (3.9 for Westin and 3.8 for Sheraton) and also on TA (#20 & #22 respectively). In my experience when hotels are rated these numbers they are not outstanding hotels. However most of Sheratons reviews are likely for the old hotel - maybe the refurb kicks it up?

The Doubletree seems to get very high reviews (#2 on TA) but it appears much further from the Old Town. Does anyone have any experience with the Doubletree vs either Starwood property? Locale being of prime importance to me (walkability to restaurants and sights). 20 minutes in/out of main areas being close enough, anything else being a pain imo.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 8:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by TravelinSperry
Hey all,

I just finished reading this whole thread. It appears people generally like the Westin more. It seems they like the views and although it is slightly further from the old town, not terribly so. However, it also appears the Sheraton is just completing a renovation does anyone know if it is complete yet? The reviews are almost similar on both SPG (3.9 for Westin and 3.8 for Sheraton) and also on TA (#20 & #22 respectively). In my experience when hotels are rated these numbers they are not outstanding hotels. However most of Sheratons reviews are likely for the old hotel - maybe the refurb kicks it up?

The Doubletree seems to get very high reviews (#2 on TA) but it appears much further from the Old Town. Does anyone have any experience with the Doubletree vs either Starwood property? Locale being of prime importance to me (walkability to restaurants and sights). 20 minutes in/out of main areas being close enough, anything else being a pain imo.
Dont know where the DT is located. But both The Westin & Sheraton are very close to the main sq located in the lower city. However the upper city(old city sort of) has tons of bars and restaurants. Most places will be within 20 mins from both hotels. Theres a funicular that goes bet the lower and upper citys and thats closer to The Westin and avoids a ton of stairs but then you have to walk once on top to the street with all the restaurants/bars. If you walk up then The Sheraton is closer and you end up right by the action
Old Aug 7, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: SK Gold, AF Gold, Marriott Platinum
Having stayed in all three properties in the past three months, I can freely say that the DoubleTree is head and shoulders above either Starwood property - and this coming from a hardcore SPG loyalist. Unless you intend to spend the whole day out and about, I'd go for the DT and just take a cheap taxi or public transport to the city centre.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.