Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Four Points Studio City Orlando [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Four Points Studio City Orlando [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:33 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Upon checkin for a free (points) night, the desk clerk informed me that there would be a $15 facility fee for "parking and Internet."

I replied, "But I get free Internet as SPG Platinum and the website says that parking is free."

He summoned a manager. She immediately waived the fee, but also started saying a bunch of stuff about a "resort fee."

The hotel in question is not a resort!
Old Jan 30, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by andymo99
Upon checkin for a free (points) night, the desk clerk informed me that there would be a $15 facility fee for "parking and Internet."

I replied, "But I get free Internet as SPG Platinum and the website says that parking is free."

He summoned a manager. She immediately waived the fee, but also started saying a bunch of stuff about a "resort fee."

The hotel in question is not a resort!
They may have applied to be a "resort". It's a money grab plain and simple. Contact SPG and see if they they have been or are being added to the resort list. If not, then someone at SPG should let them know this is not acceptable.
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:22 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
I received an email from the GM of the hotel, Bryan Clancy. It seems like a form letter that is automatically sent to all guests. I replied asking him to explain the fee, and alerted him to its discussion here.

We'll see if he shows up! If he only replies to me privately, I will share what I learn. (He wrote in the email "Please feel free to e-mail me directly and I will answer you personally" so I assume I will get a reply. Plus, he seems active on the Trip Advisor forum.)
Old Jan 30, 2015, 9:25 pm

It gets better. When I replied to his email, I did so by hitting "reply all" to capture what I thought would be one or two colleagues that he had copied. Nope! It looks like I copied the ~40 other guests who received Bryan's email at the same time as I did. I assume he meant to hit us all on BCc. Mistakes happen, but definitely a poor privacy breach.

Anyhow, now those ~40 people have a link to this conversation here. Perhaps one or two will show up and opine. Maybe the Four Points will be issuing a lot of "Facility Fee" refunds tonight! Maybe I should head down for a little happy hour at the bar and meet my new email friends.
Old Apr 9, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It gets better. When I replied to his email, I did so by hitting "reply all" to capture what I thought would be one or two colleagues that he had copied. Nope! It looks like I copied the ~40 other guests who received Bryan's email at the same time as I did. I assume he meant to hit us all on BCc. Mistakes happen, but definitely a poor privacy breach.

Anyhow, now those ~40 people have a link to this conversation here. Perhaps one or two will show up and opine. Maybe the Four Points will be issuing a lot of "Facility Fee" refunds tonight! Maybe I should head down for a little happy hour at the bar and meet my new email friends.
This is good info. I was looking at possibly booking this hotel this summer for a family vacation. However the $15/night is a lot esp for 2 rooms. I looked at your link and sure enough it says parking is free. Did you ever get a response on this?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:24 pm

Anyone stayed here recently as a platinum? How easy are upgrades to come by and how good is their breakfast? Do they have a lounge for evening snacks?
Old Apr 9, 2015, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by cdancer20
This is good info. I was looking at possibly booking this hotel this summer for a family vacation. However the $15/night is a lot esp for 2 rooms. I looked at your link and sure enough it says parking is free. Did you ever get a response on this?
Mr. Clancy did indeed respond about two days later.

Originally Posted by Bryan Clancy, Property GM
Good afternoon,

I would like to take the opportunity to apologize for the inconvenience you experienced during your recent stay with us. Here at the Four Points Studio City we take pride in delivering outstanding service and regret we fell short of our goal in this instance. I can assure you this is not the Starwood way. I’m very disappointed to hear about the problems you described below. I’m sorry you had to encounter this and I am very thankful that you have brought this to my attention so I can ensure we take the appropriate action to avoid this issue moving forward.

It does appear our team inadvertently sent the message to recipients in the cc line vs. bcc line. This was a human error and we deeply apologize for this. I will be following up accordingly and addressing appropriately with the team.

In reference to the facility fee, we should have explained this to you at check in and given you some handouts such as our coupon book, activities schedule, discount card etc. The coupon book allows our guests to receive exclusive coupons for staying at our hotel and then to use them across the parks. This is one of the advantages of being a Universal partner hotel which is an expensive process for us. Some of the additional benefits with the facility fee are complimentary parking (website is correct as we do not charge a separate fee as its part of the facility fee), transportation to the parks and many local discounts. Also, last year we completed a million dollar renovation of the pool area and now host scheduled pool activities (live music, magicians, movie nights etc.) multiple days/nights a week. These are scheduled events and vary in days / nights.

With that said, I want to personally apologize for the poor communication on our part. As noted earlier, this should have all been explained at check in and we obviously failed to do so. I appreciate the feedback as we can use this as a tool to better serve our guests as we continually strive for excellence. Its guests like yourself that help us improve and make a difference. As a valued Starwood Preferred Guest, I have requested an additional 2,000 points to be added to your profile. If there is anything else we can do for you please do not hesitate to contact me directly at 407-xxx-xxxx.

Sincerely,
Bryan

Good recovery but very weak policy. They give you a coupon book and want to charge a "facility fee." Please.
Old Apr 10, 2015, 7:47 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist No More..., Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Mr. Clancy did indeed respond about two days later. Good recovery but very weak policy. They give you a coupon book and want to charge a "facility fee." Please.
Thanks a lot for the update. I agree that $15 is pretty high for this.
Old Aug 30, 2015, 4:26 am

Programs: SPG Platinium, Hilton Gold, AA Gold
I am planning a stay there for two nights at the end of December for family in order to Visit Universal Studios and Kennedy Space Center..How are they with SPG Platinium recognition and breakfast amenity? Do they charge these "resort fees" to Platinium guests as well?

I consider also the Universal Cabana Bay Resort as there are many positive reviews on Trip Adviser. How do they compare?
Old Aug 30, 2015, 5:46 am

Programs: oneworld, * Alliance, Marriott Bonvoy, HHonors, WoH
Originally Posted by artccc
I am planning a stay there for two nights at the end of December for family in order to Visit Universal Studios and Kennedy Space Center..How are they with SPG Platinium recognition and breakfast amenity? Do they charge these "resort fees" to Platinium guests as well?

I consider also the Universal Cabana Bay Resort as there are many positive reviews on Trip Adviser. How do they compare?
I will be there after 3 weeks for two stays and will update. In May they upgraded to lager room(I needed twin bed),resort fee was waived,continental breakfast(cold) as amenity plus 500 points,free parking.
Old Aug 31, 2015, 12:52 am

Programs: SPG Platinium, Hilton Gold, AA Gold
Jaenks. Thanks in advance for the update on this Property.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:53 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Looks like the hotel was sold and a much-needed renovation is planned. Hopefully it's well underway by September, when I have a stay planned.

The buyer plans a multi-million-dollar project to renovate and upgrade the 21-story hotel, which has been flagged under Starwood’s Four Points by Sheraton since 2007.
Old Mar 14, 2016, 10:58 am

Hmm. Is it still going to be under the SPG family?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 6:22 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Quick update: Stayed here for a week in August. Nice staff who try very hard to please.

Otherwise, this is a very, very threadbare property that hasn't seen maintenance money for years. It's clean, but worn-out.

A steady supply of hot water in the shower still proves elusive.

Plan accordingly
Old Sep 8, 2016, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Bonvoy LTT, Hyatt Exp, AA 1MM, UA Silver, Hertz PC, Avis PC
These reviews, and the reviews on TA, are scaring the heck out of me. I'm booked with the family for a two night points stay in ~10 days. Someone on the Ambassador line said they stayed there last year and had a good stay. A manager has agreed to reserve us spots on the morning shuttle in advance of our check-in, to avoid the possibility that the shuttle as already booked full by the time we arrive.

I've got a backup (at higher points valuation) reservation at the nearby Hyatt Place.

Should I run, run, run to the Hyatt as fast as I can? Or for a two night stay where much of the time will be spent at the parks (perhaps a nap or pool time back at the hotel) will we be ok?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.