Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Grand Seattle [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2024, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PTahCha
THIS IS A CONVENTION HOTEL - NO 4pm check-out for specialty rooms (e.g. corner rooms, suites), even if you're upgraded or purchased a specialty room. If you require 4pm check-out, you need to book the standard or high floor standard room.

Print Wikipost

Sheraton Grand Seattle [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:13 pm

I just got back from one night at the Seattle Sheraton.

I was upgraded to a large suite on a SPG Flooor (king bedroom plus a parlor/living room).

Staff at the front desk were as good (if not better) than any I had encountered at Starwood hotels.

I have now stayed at the Westin, W and Sheraton.

Sheraton is definitely the best.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 9:22 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Stay Report - 09.03.07 - One Night

Staying here tonight. Valet parking offered only (when I inquired she said that there was a self-park option but that the difference in $ didn't really make sense). Friendly valet, offered to assist with bags (I said no thanks), asked if I needed anything, explained how everything is secured and locked up with control entry/exit.

Walked into the new lobby (gorgeous renovation!). Was greeted by Mr. Salazar who could not have been nicer. He was pleasant, helpful, friendly, and extremely professional. Checked in to a room on the 32nd floor (Club Floor). Standard Sheraton room - King bed, nice view. Nothing special, but it's for ~12 hours of a stay

I like how they have a separate phone information sheet out on the desk (rather than tucked away in the brown leather book with everything else). TVs are old (smallish - 27" I think). But the check-in process was seamless, pleasant, and nice. I need to make a reservation for next week and when I tried via spg.com it came up sold out - I asked Mr. Salazar who confirmed that they have availability for the date I needed and no groups coming in.

I have seen a huge change in this hotel since last year. Each time I stay here the staff seems much more pleasant than before. This is a case where turnover has been a GOOD thing
Old Sep 4, 2007, 9:23 am

Stay Report - Sep 1 and 2

I am Starwood Gold. Stayed here Saturday and Sunday night for a weekend of shopping with my daughter, my girlfriend and her daughter. Used 11,000 points a night for a club floor room. It was wonderful when we checked in at 3:00pm to bypass the lineup of about 15 people and go directly to the preferred guest check in. The room was ready (I heard others in the regular lineup being told to come back at 4:00pm because there were no rooms ready)
The room was nice, two double beds in the Pike Street Tower. All-in-all it was a great stay. We self-parked close to the hotel for $26/night. The breakfast in the morning in the club room was Fantastic!! lots of fresh fruit, pastries, cereals etc (I'm not a bacon and eggs person, if you are, you won't find it here)

My only complaint were the appetizers in the evening in the club room. They really weren't very good (the hot ones were reheated out of a frozen box I think and were luke warm) and it took a long time for them to replenish the plates. I guess I got spoiled by the Sheraton Suites Eau Claire in Calgary where the appetizers were unbelievable and staff were constantly replenishing them. You really didn't need dinner after those ones. The breakfast in Calgary is fantastic too (includes the typical hot breakfast items)
Old Sep 16, 2007, 8:45 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
well, we did end up taking a car (we were on our way to YVR) to the Sheraton last week and just ended up using the valet and paying. it was simply much easier.

question about the Club Lounge/Club Floor, as we are considering another visit. Which tower is it in and on what floor? please fill me in on the Club if you have been there.

thanks!
Old Oct 15, 2007, 9:53 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
we went back to the Sheraton Seattle this past weekend....booked a club floor room. big mistake.

even with the club floor ameneties, the rooms in the Union Street tower (the other one) are just so much nicer!! no comparison. first we called and were told they had no rooms in the UST, then went downstairs and were able to get switched.

new tower = new everything - flat screen tv, new linens, cleaner carpet, new bathroom, etc.

we would definitely recommend this hotel, but ONLY the new tower.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 5:57 pm
In memoriam

Trip Report 10-18

Valet parking was great! Jess was so pleasant and helpful!

Lobby really is beautiful. Checked in and asked "were you able to upgrade me tonight?" Person looked at the computer, said "yes, we have a lot of rooms available."

Me: "Great!"
Front Desk: "That will be $30"
Me: "for what?'
Desk: "for the upgrade."
Me: "is this a new policy? I was just here last month and didn't have to pay $30.
Desk: Well then obviously they gave you a one time exception
Me: Could I please speak with the manager?
Desk: walks away - 15 minutes later - nobody

Had to go back downstairs since I had requested 2 double beds and the room had a king. When I went downstairs the Front Desk Manager "E" was there. She could NOT have been nicer. She explained the policy and that it is new but they were meeting about it since many people have complained. They said that they have a lot of Platinums who stay in this hotel and get upset when they don't get suites so they felt they needed to differentiate things some how. I thought this made sense and told her that it was all about the "messaging.' How you deliver something. You shouldn't tell a guest that there are a lot of rooms available for upgrading and then "OK - it's $30."

She was very nice, very professional, and very friendly.

The room I have is lovely - on the 33rd floor so I've been able to watch all of the storms for the last two days Nice size room. Amenities (bath products) are in an obvious switchover to Calm or something like that.

No flat screen TV (I'm in the Pike Tower). Coffee maker in the room with *$ coffee. Hotel is sold out due to two conventions. Staff has been pleasant. Parking is $24 per day valet parking.
Old Oct 19, 2007, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
ldsant: She explained the policy and that it is new but they were meeting about it since many people have complained. They said that they have a lot of Platinums who stay in this hotel and get upset when they don't get suites so they felt they needed to differentiate things some how. I thought this made sense and told her that it was all about the "messaging.' How you deliver something. You shouldn't tell a guest that there are a lot of rooms available for upgrading and then "OK - it's $30."
So are you saying plats need to pay $30 for a suite upgrade now? If you didn't want to pay an extra fee what would a typical upgrade be to... club deluxe? If this is true, this seems to be rather big news and would maybe deserve it's own thread.

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Oct 22, 2007 at 11:51 am Reason: MODERATOR ERROR here - Nroscoe - please repost. My apologies; it's late . . I put my response in your box.
Old Oct 22, 2007, 5:17 am

Programs: Bonvoy LT Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, BMI Gold (RIP)
ldsant - thanks for the update. My wife and I will be in Seattle late November (post Thanksgiving) on vacation for a week.

At the moment we are planning to stay at the Sheraton Seattle, especially after reading some of the less than favourable comments about the Westin here. I've got a couple of questions regarding the hotel though if I may ask them?

First of all, as we are likely to be staying for 7 nights, I'm not banking on any upgrade as a platinum. I'm happy to pay for a non-suite though and there appear to be 3 options coming up:

- Traditional
- Deluxe city view (mentioning specifically plasma screen TV)
- Club Floor

Will the deluxe city view rooms be the ones in the Union Tower?
Is it worth shelling out extra and stopping at the W instead? I'd be quite happy at the Sheraton, but from what has been said it looks like a bit of a gap in quality between the two towers.

Finally, I'm intrigued about the $30 upgrade charge they mentioned. Was that $30 for the best available room, or specifically for a speciality suite not covered by 'best available room' part of SPG? It just sounds a bit like they are operating beyong the limits of the SPG program if it is a charge to upgrade for a room that should be made available to a Platinum (or Gold if it is a quieter time) member.

Thanks in advance!
Old Nov 5, 2007, 11:45 pm
In memoriam

To answer your questions, I think it depends upon what you're planning on doing while in Seattle. All 3 properties are in good locations. If you have children I would not recommend the W. The upgrade $ is if you are NOT a Platinum. They only upgrade Platinums to the Club Floor/suites at no extra cost.

Stayed in a Junior Suite last night - room 2616. Would not recommend the room. Also, stay away from room 3301 since it's a corner TINY room.

The thing about this property imo is that the staff is VERY uneven. I have stayed there 4 times in the last 3 weeks due to missing ferries (airplanes too late). The staff members are either wonderful or absolutely horrible. The GM obviously doesn't really care about bad experiences. You must also CHECK your bill. I found out last week when doing an expense report for something else that I had been charged for two nights of valet parking when in fact I took a taxi one night (no car) and walked another time (again no car). At $35 per night this added up and I didn't realize I had been charged for that until last week. It happened on my bill last week and the front desk person told me "oh yes, it's a glitch that we're trying to fix."

The lounge is very nice imo. Nice views, good breakfast (continental). Food in the evening is fair at best. Drinks are pricey. Two glasses of mediocre wine was $25 which imo is just stupid.

I think what bothers me most though is just the unneveness of the staff. I don't get how some of the staff members are just amazing and others just should not be in the hospitality industry imo.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 6:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
You didn't answer my question about your post indicating that they are charging (even Plats?) $30 for suite upgrades...

Last edited by itsaboutthejourney; Nov 6, 2007 at 6:46 am Reason: typo
Old Nov 6, 2007, 7:07 am

Programs: AC, AA, SPG
Originally Posted by nroscoe
You didn't answer my question about your post indicating that they are charging (even Plats?) $30 for suite upgrades...
It's there!

The upgrade $ is if you are NOT a Platinum. They only upgrade Platinums to the Club Floor/suites at no extra cost.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by danwhy
It's there!
I'm confused, ldsant, you brought up that they attempted to charge you $30 for the suite upgrade, but then commented that plats do get upgraded to club floor/suite free. Was it to a nicer suite beyond a junior suite then?
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:48 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by melampus83
I'm confused, ldsant, you brought up that they attempted to charge you $30 for the suite upgrade, but then commented that plats do get upgraded to club floor/suite free. Was it to a nicer suite beyond a junior suite then?
No - the $30 was for an upgrade to the Club Floor. They did not realize that I was Platinum at the time. They charge Golds and others $30 if they want to have the club floor and access to the club lounge. It is not for a suite at all. Does this help clarify things? Sorry for any confusion.
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:50 am
In memoriam

Originally Posted by danwhy
It's there!
Yep - thanks danwhy for pointing it out
Old Nov 6, 2007, 8:57 am

Programs: UA 1MM, SPG Gold, EVA Diamond
Originally Posted by ldsant
No - the $30 was for an upgrade to the Club Floor. They did not realize that I was Platinum at the time. They charge Golds and others $30 if they want to have the club floor and access to the club lounge. It is not for a suite at all. Does this help clarify things? Sorry for any confusion.
AH! It all makes sense now This is definitely something I have seen at other hotels.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.