Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Old Mar 19, 2013, 1:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, ClubCarlson Gold
I recently stayed at this property for vacation purposes with my family. I chose this property because I could get a larger room over five nights for 40,000 points with fifth night free.

The hotel itself was nice. The lobby felt a little cramped, it was no problem. We got a room on the 8th floor which is the lowest SPG Floor. I am only SPG Gold, so no lounge access for me. The room had a living area and bed room separated by French doors and a bathroom. There were two TV's (LCD), a coffee maker, microwave oven and mini-fridge. The beds were OK. One of them kinda made you feel like you were going to roll into the center. The furnishings seemed a little dated, but they were comfortable.

I did not use the internet service so I can't comment on the speed. I did use the computers in the lobby with the Sheraton @Link. They were slow, but free for use. The pool was nice, but probably not big enough to really swim laps. I didn't use the exercise equipment in the gym, but there seemed to be a variety of options. I never ate at the hotel restaurant, but the menu looked good and reasonably priced for a hotel menu. There was a grocery store just a block away from the hotel. That was very convenient. There were a few restaurnts in the immediate area and Old Town is only a few blocks walk away if you're interested.

Parking is something like $22 per night, but we didn't need it. The hotel shuttle would make twice hourly runs to the airport where we caught the Metro. Be sure to call them so they know to look for you at the pick up points at the airport. And be down in the lobby a few minutes before departure so you don't get left.

I would stay here again if I were going to focus on Alexandria, but I would try to get a place in DC next time since that's where we spent our time. Taking the Metro is not inconvenient, but being located within the city would be a better option.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:04 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
My emailed response to Starwood customer service when I received my bill for the stay at Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria:

Honestly, I'm pretty surprised that you didn't take anything off the bill after this horrendous stay where all the guests were woken up before 6am with the persistent whining of the fire alarm, which indicated that the electricity was out and the generator wasn't working. The electricity remained off for the next couple of hours (and the fire alarm whine kept coming back intermittently) so I took a shower and dressed in the dark, and when I asked the front desk what was going on they told me the power was off in the entire neighborhood, yet the street lamps were all on and the lights in the building across the street were on. My colleague also mentioned that the 'down' button on the third floor elevator bank was broken and her television, like mine, didn't work.

I'm a Platinum Starwood member so I stay with this brand a lot, and this was probably the worst hotel stay I've ever experienced.
Old Oct 19, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Also, it bears mention that there's no valet or bellman at the hotel, so to check in you have to leave your car in front of the hotel (or around the corner, as I had to, since there was no room) then go to the front desk and get a key, trudge back to your vehicle, park it in the poorly-lit rapey underground parking lot, take one elevator to the lobby, and then switch to another elevator to get you to your room.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:04 am

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Just stayed here five nights for pleasure. Have stayed here many times before for a few nights on business. Overall, I have to say that I was impressed all around, especially with the service. I'm a plat/ambassador level. Here's some info...

- received a personal email from the hotel days before I arrived asking if I had any requests or if this was a special occasion. It was and they ended up putting me in a hospitality suite and I came in to see two bottles of wine in the middle of the room.

- service was outstanding. At check in, in club lounge, at bar. I was called by name as was my wife. When little things came up, they were quickly addressed.

- location was better than I thought. Used metro to get into DC (saw a Nats game, took a cruise, toured around). Also explored Alexandria by foot, which was enjoyable (we love old buildings). Also hit Crystal City by car for a little shopping. Food in Alexandria was pretty darn good if you pick the right spots. I really like the neighborhood feel of this hotel.

- could not beat the rate for the hotel. Used birthday rate. $119 + $70. So cheap I did not even thing about using points.

- club lounge evening snacks were above average (chips, salsa, two hot dishes, cheeses). Breakfast was decent with fruit, eggs, another hot dish, cereals, breads. Friends said eggs were not that great. Service up there was excellent but the place was busy on occasion.

- room was fine. I had a hospitality suite which was a bigger version of a regular suite that had a conference room table in it. Plenty of room to move. Two TVs, fridge, good water pressure, etc.

- wife used the workout room. It's small but works. Pool and hottub are decent. Two hidden gems are the 1st and 2nd floor patios. They are not heavily used. Great place to grab a drink and chill. Bar has good specials.

I was very impressed with the proactive service. It made the experience memorable. This hotel is not the St Regis NYC but it is a very solid mid-level hotel that has good access to DC in a nice, quiet location. It's good for both a family get-a-way and business. I'll be back.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 6:32 am

Programs: AC Aeroplan SE, Marriott LTPPE
Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria

Originally Posted by jb3t
Just stayed here five nights for pleasure. Have stayed here many times before for a few nights on business. Overall, I have to say that I was impressed all around, especially with the service. I'm a plat/ambassador level. Here's some info...

- received a personal email from the hotel days before I arrived asking if I had any requests or if this was a special occasion. It was and they ended up putting me in a hospitality suite and I came in to see two bottles of wine in the middle of the room.

- service was outstanding. At check in, in club lounge, at bar. I was called by name as was my wife. When little things came up, they were quickly addressed.

- location was better than I thought. Used metro to get into DC (saw a Nats game, took a cruise, toured around). Also explored Alexandria by foot, which was enjoyable (we love old buildings). Also hit Crystal City by car for a little shopping. Food in Alexandria was pretty darn good if you pick the right spots. I really like the neighborhood feel of this hotel.

- could not beat the rate for the hotel. Used birthday rate. $119 + $70. So cheap I did not even thing about using points.

- club lounge evening snacks were above average (chips, salsa, two hot dishes, cheeses). Breakfast was decent with fruit, eggs, another hot dish, cereals, breads. Friends said eggs were not that great. Service up there was excellent but the place was busy on occasion.

- room was fine. I had a hospitality suite which was a bigger version of a regular suite that had a conference room table in it. Plenty of room to move. Two TVs, fridge, good water pressure, etc.

- wife used the workout room. It's small but works. Pool and hottub are decent. Two hidden gems are the 1st and 2nd floor patios. They are not heavily used. Great place to grab a drink and chill. Bar has good specials.

I was very impressed with the proactive service. It made the experience memorable. This hotel is not the St Regis NYC but it is a very solid mid-level hotel that has good access to DC in a nice, quiet location. It's good for both a family get-a-way and business. I'll be back.
Timely post as i was contemplating staying there later this year. Any specific restaurant(s) in walking distance that you would recommend.?
Old Aug 10, 2014, 8:16 am

Originally Posted by Nfldflyer
Timely post as i was contemplating staying there later this year. Any specific restaurant(s) in walking distance that you would recommend.?
If you like to walk and explore, this is a pretty good place. If you want to go to DC, you can jump the subway. We enjoyed it. Like I said, it's not the St Regis but it's a good solid value in a calming, quiet location.

As for eating... There are tons of restaurants for every taste. We eat more casual. We liked Red Rocks (casual dinner), Bittersweet Cafe (lunch), Olea (trendy pizza) on King St. There are also several nice restaurants down King St towards the water. Close to the hotel, JD Stones is a decent local watering hole and theres a good italian deli 2 blocks behind the hotel if you want a quick sandwich for lunch (go eat in park)

Also... We parked on the street all days. Had to move the car a few times but we had no issues. There 2hr on street in front of hotel and 3hr behind the hotel.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AGR WOH
There are some great dining options tucked away in North Old Town. At the casual end, Haute Dogs has some fun hot dogs right around the corner, while Teaism has an extensive pan-Asian menu and a beautiful room two blocks away (next to Trader Joe's). Even more hidden away and more elegant is Bastille, about five blocks north, or Rustico, about ten blocks northwest -- a 15 minute walk. Buzz is a great dessert bakery just across from Rustico.

The east end of King Street, seven blocks south, has scores of restaurants. Places I like include, in roughly descending order by fanciness, Restaurant Eve, Gadsby's Tavern (more for atmosphere, as it's almost 250 years old), Brabo, The Majestic, Columbia Firehouse, Virtue, Pizzeria Paradiso, and Society Fair. For drinks: PX, Grape & Bean, Paradiso or Virtue (again), Light Horse.

JB3T mentions river cruises, but there's another way to get onto the river: from the King Street river landing, you can take water taxis to DC (they say "Mall," but be prepared to walk a bit to the memorials) or National Harbor, Maryland.

Last edited by paytonc; Aug 11, 2014 at 12:50 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by Nfldflyer
Hank's Oyster Bar on King St is my favorite when I'm in the area.
Old Apr 2, 2015, 7:56 pm

Quick Update... Just logged 5 nights here.

This is my go-to hotel in the DC area. It's in a fairly quiet neighborhood, it's. A quick walk down to King Street and it's fairly easy to get into the city via car or train. Yes, it's a little out of the way but it works for me.

Rooms are all suites. Not huge but they provide separation. Club lounge is good and the attendants are aesome. Workout room is cramped but adequate. There's a nice outdoor patio by the pool that's under utilized. The drive into the city is fine or you can take public transport (but have to walk to shuttle to the station).

Only new news to report is an in-town grocery store (Harris Teeter) opened right noext door. So, you can grab some food or a few brews.

I am a fan of this hotel. No, it's not the St Regis but it works. The wife loves coming with me on business trips here to stroll Old Town.
Old Jan 12, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Any recent stays?
The former Sheraton Crystal City was always my home base but since the rebrand, the rates it's commanding just don't seem worth the location premium. I've stayed in & enjoyed a few Suites properties. Seems that while this is further out it's infinitely more convenient than the Sheraton Pentagon City. Thoughts? Thanks
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:01 am

I see I was the last to post prior to you. In short, this hotel works for me. It's not the most fancy, nor it is brand-spanking new but the rooms are clean, the service has always been very good, and the club lounge is good. The best thing about this hotel, IMO, is the location. It's close to DC by car/train and walkable to Old Town Alexandria, which I like a lot. Lots of good food options.

Also... If timing works out, you can park on the street. For free.

The Westin is not too bad either. It's more upscale and a little further from Old Town.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 10:44 am

Programs: BA GLD, AA GLD 1MM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott LT Titanium
Originally Posted by travellingcari
Seems that while this is further out it's infinitely more convenient than the Sheraton Pentagon City. Thoughts? Thanks
I live in the area but have done MRs at each property. In terms of location, I would much rather be at the Old Town location (unless my work was, say, right at the Pentagon). Old Town has much more to do in walking distance, a grocery store across the street, etc. There is not that much in the immediate area of the Sheraton Pentagon City.. with a longer walk, sure, but Old Town has a much more charming and interesting surrounding (I think).

On rooms, I think Old Town again wins just for the suite. I did a MR at the Pentagon City last December, didn't stay overnight but I did go to the room. It was a typical older Sheraton. The Old Town rooms I think are just a touch nicer.
Old Jan 13, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: SPG, AA, B6. No longer "still CO to me" with account spent down. RIP CO.
Thanks both - super helpful.
Wouldn't be driving so I like the proximity to Metro. Much easier than the bus to the metro that seems necessary at Pentagon City
Old Jan 13, 2016, 8:35 pm

Helpful to me as well. Very timely. I coincidently booked this property today for a first time stay. Thanks for sharing. ^
Old Mar 8, 2016, 2:56 pm

So I've completed my five night stay. All in all, it was not bad. Service was quite good, and the location was great for my purposes. I didn't try the restaurant. The lounge food was hit and miss, but ok for breakfast and evening snacks. The grocery store across the street came in handy, as did the fridge and microwave (both quite dated though...)

Because I had two consecutive bookings, I asked both PC while booking and front desk on arrival to ensure the two bookings were linked. Assured they were, I was woken up by front desk at 7:15 am after the second night telling me I had to come back front desk to get my to get my keys reprogrammed.

The pool doesn't open until 4 pm during the week, which I found a bit strange. Also, it's a lap pool, so very shallow. The hot tub was operating, and at the proper temperature.

Aside from housekeeping pounding on my door one morning in spite of DND and Green Choice signage hanging on the door knob, the worst part of my stay was getting stuck in the elevator for half an hour. I kept pressing the help button, which rang and rang until it timed out. And, of course, I wasn't getting cell service in the elevator, so I had no way to letting anyone know I needed assistance.

Finally, because the doors were open a few inches, I was able to get another guest to call downstairs for help, which was appreciated. In the end, I was "rescued" by the fire department, who seemed a little ticked at the property for not having the right "key" available to get the elevator moving.

The strange thing about all this is, at no point did anyone from the hotel ask me if I was ok, or even apologize (the fire fighters suggested taking me to the hospital because apparently I was a bit stressed from the ordeal). Later that evening, front desk sent up a little cheese plate and bottle of wine. The poor porter they sent up told me the hotel was sorry for the incident, but as I mentioned to front desk the next morning, it would have been nice to get an actual call or message from management.

Interestingly, later that day I did get a call from the hotel Manager, who - after identifying himself - stated quite aggressively: "Why do you want to talk to me". Hmmm, I thought, this isn't starting well. So I simply told him I had not asked to speak with him. He said fine, asked if there was anything else, and said good bye. No apology. No reference to the elevator incident. No how's your stay going?

So there you have it. Decent location and value; offset by several irritating incidents, and not much sense of responsibility on the part of management.

YMMV

Cheers,

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.