Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sheraton Suites Old Town Alexandria, Virginia [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:24 pm

Programs: *wood Gold, HH Diamond
DCA Metro only

This property (within the last year I think) only has a shuttle to DCA, where you can pick up the Metro.

They used to have a shuttle that went to the King Street Metro and also picked up along King Street. Never asked but perhaps during my last visit these routes were only temporarily stopped?
Old Sep 29, 2005, 5:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
Originally Posted by Happy 51
This property (within the last year I think) only has a shuttle to DCA, where you can pick up the Metro.
My family was there a while back and used the DCA shuttle to get to the Metro. My impresison is the DCA metro station is a more secure area than the King St. The shuttle only runs until 10pm or so. If you're later than that, we had no problem finding a cab at the airport to take us to the hotel.

The rooms were fine. The breakfast buffet was passable.

MO
Old Oct 2, 2005, 1:27 pm

Programs: AA EXPLAT, HH DIAMOND, IHG PLAT, RYANAIR NO OTHER OPTION FLYER
dont do it

I found this pleasant but a bit remote. I would look for somewhere nearer to the MCI centre. it is probably Ok but I wouldnt want to be coming back on the metro late at night and relying on finding a cab at the nearest station. and taxi from mci directly will probably wipe out any cost saving.

having said that I enjoyed walking around alexandria old town in the evenings - central area with stores, bars etc is about 10 mins walk from the hotel
Old Oct 25, 2005, 7:22 pm

Programs: Used to be elite in UA, SPG and Hertz...now I'm just a regular guy
Another option would be to take the Metro from the MCI Center to DCA, then taking a cab, or calling the hotel shuttle to come get you. All depends on how much trouble you're willing to go to.
Old Dec 8, 2005, 9:31 am

Thanks for the ideas...any other ideas of Starwoods closer to the MCI Center then? Does the shuttle from DCA go all night? We don't want to have to drive the night of the show.

Thanks...
Old Aug 4, 2007, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis Preferred
Arrow Sheraton Suites Alexandria, Virginia (Master Thread)

I stayed at the Sheraton Suites Alexandria on a trip to Bolling AFB in May and came away with a very positive experience. I hit SPG Gold for the first time with my stay there!!

The reception staff seemed a little tasked saturated with only two of us in line, but the check-in went smooth and uneventful. The rooms were nice with flat screens in the living room and bedroom. The bathroom was nice and clean, but small for a "suite."

It definitely isn't downtown DC, but we walking around trying to find a good bar, and a girl trying to get us to take a karate lesson offered a choice place about a 2 minute drive up old town. It turned out to be a very good Italian restaurant on Slaters Lane with a very chic bar and lots of local brews on tap and bottled.

The commute to downtown is a negative, but if you're not looking for that, it was a good overall experience.
Old Sep 3, 2007, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by carbonaddict
I found this pleasant but a bit remote. I would look for somewhere nearer to the MCI centre. it is probably Ok but I wouldnt want to be coming back on the metro late at night and relying on finding a cab at the nearest station. and taxi from mci directly will probably wipe out any cost saving.

having said that I enjoyed walking around alexandria old town in the evenings - central area with stores, bars etc is about 10 mins walk from the hotel
For those worried about cabs from the metro -- there's always quite a few parked outside the King Street Metro. I live in the neighborhood and always see at least 5-6 when I come home late for work.

Also, King Street Metro (and King Street in general) is very safe and well-lit late at night. Braddock Road, which is actually closer to the Sheraton, would be a bit more deserted later at night.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 7:45 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Bumping this up to get some updated info.

I am curious if this property is close enough to the King St. metro to walk...even if a long walk? Also, how good is the club lounge? Since it is an all suite property I am guessing there isn't much on offer to a Plat except the lounge and wondering what people have experienced.
Old Dec 6, 2008, 10:23 pm

This is not even close to walking distance to the King St metro. If you want that, stay at the Westin Alexandria, which is a 5 min walk. I didn't get an "upgraded" suite there, so can't comment on that, but the rooms were nicely done, and the staff was friendly. The Westin Alexandria is very, very nice if it works for you.
Old Dec 7, 2008, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by bpoe19
This is not even close to walking distance to the King St metro. If you want that, stay at the Westin Alexandria, which is a 5 min walk. I didn't get an "upgraded" suite there, so can't comment on that, but the rooms were nicely done, and the staff was friendly. The Westin Alexandria is very, very nice if it works for you.
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a rate of $66 for the 3 nights I am going to be in DC so I may just have to rely on the shuttle at that price!
Old Dec 7, 2008, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by mcgahat
Thanks for the info. I am looking at a rate of $66 for the 3 nights I am going to be in DC so I may just have to rely on the shuttle at that price!
That's a great rate for Alexandria! If you're looking for some really great food, beer, and atmosphere close to there, take a short cab - 3 min or so-up to Slater Ln and eat at Rusticos. The food is excellent and lots of good beer /microbrews on tap.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by bpoe19
That's a great rate for Alexandria! If you're looking for some really great food, beer, and atmosphere close to there, take a short cab - 3 min or so-up to Slater Ln and eat at Rusticos. The food is excellent and lots of good beer /microbrews on tap.
Thanks for the tip, I will try it out!
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:16 am

I have stayed here many times and it is a pretty good hotel - I tend to walk over to the Braddock Road metro stop which is about a 10 minute walk - The King St station is over twice as far. The area around the Bradock Road isn't the best but I always do it at 6:30 in the morning and 4:30 pm so it isn't a problem.

I have co-workers who have stayed here and found it too remote but I like to walk when I travel so the 8 block walk to the metro station or to the resturants on King St never bothers me.

Also there is a Trader Joes around 3 blocks away and a supermarket next door which is pretty nice.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:16 am

And yes Rusticos is very nice (you can walk there very easily as well)
Old Apr 3, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Does anyone happen to know which rooms/floors are renovated?

Thanks in advance...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.