Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jul 8, 2007, 9:16 pm

Programs: AC, AA, CO, SPG
Sadly the right call for now. However, they are building a new Westin in Alexandria about the same distance to Old Town that the Sheraton is. When that opens (scheduled for November 07), it should be a good option, and the Westin will be closer to a Metro station to boot.
Old Jul 26, 2007, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by luskinj
The Westin Arlington is awesome. Best part is the 32" LCD HDTV in each of the rooms and the Starbucks attached to the hotel. And there's actually a ton of restaurants nearby. I haven't stayed at the Westin Grand yet. That one's next on my list.

Just an FYI, while I was at the WER on Tuesday night, I met a friend out at 'The Hawk & Dove', a bar in Capital Hill. They have $1 wings every tuesday night. They were delicious.

I concur about the Westing Arlington, it is by far the best Starwood property in the DC area. From the friendly staff, the concierge lounge, and the sweet 32" LCD HDTV's it is by far.

And to top the last guys posting, Bailey's that is located in the mall behind the Westin in Arlington, Bailey's has .35 wings and $2 pints of domestic drafts!!!
Old Nov 18, 2007, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA1K, HH Diamond, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bfrederi
Sadly the right call for now. However, they are building a new Westin in Alexandria about the same distance to Old Town that the Sheraton is. When that opens (scheduled for November 07), it should be a good option, and the Westin will be closer to a Metro station to boot.
Anyone able to give a report on the Westin Alexandria?
Old Nov 19, 2007, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...tin+Alexandria
Old Nov 19, 2007, 10:05 am

Programs: Virtuoso Travel Advisor. FSPP, Ritz STARS, Rosewood Elite, Belmond BelliniClub. SPG PRO
If we're talking outside DC hotels that are worth a look I just did a weekend stay in the Sheraton National and was able to grab a suite for $89 pre paid rate. A nice enough hotel just minutes from the places I go often it worked very well.

Next I'll be checking out the new Westin Alexandria.
Old Dec 15, 2007, 8:35 pm

I'll be staying in most of the DC Westins in Feb/Mar - hope to catch the Westin Embassy Row or Westin Grand after their renovations/restorations (is there a difference?) Also will stay in the Westin Alexandria to catch the 3k promo that ends 29 Feb.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 9:28 am

Programs: SPG Plat; IHG Spire Amb; Marriott Diamond; HHonors Gold; AA Exec Plat; United 1K
I've stayed in both the Grand and the Embassy Row multiple times in 07. They are really completely different hotels with the Grand being very modern while the Embassy Row is more historic. I can't speak to the Grand's renovations, but I had a stay at the Embassy Row in early Dec and they have half the hotel closed off. They are renovated one half at a time, and are doing away with all of their suites except the Jr. Suites. Currently upgrades aren't as easy to come by. When they complete the renovations, this hotel will no longer be a Westin, its going to be part of the Luxury Collection. They are supposed to have the newly renovated half open in the next couple of months. One benefit of staying here currently is that they are offering their breakfast buffet free to everyone because of the construction. Plus you get 50% off of lunch and dinner (including room service). I personally really like the location and feel of the Embassy Row and I think its going to be great when the Renovations are done.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 10:11 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
The Westin Embassy Row's locations is primo. However, the hotel is substandard. I'll visit once renovations are complete as my last stay was horrible and I suggest staying away until they are complete.

Currently, the Westin DC City Center is my favorite Starwood property in DC.
Old Dec 25, 2007, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
The DC Westin City Center is by far the best property in the district now - the renovations that converted it from a Wyndham to a Westin really came out well. I like the location too!
Old Jan 15, 2008, 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
The Westin Embassy Row's locations is primo. However, the hotel is substandard. I'll visit once renovations are complete as my last stay was horrible and I suggest staying away until they are complete.

Currently, the Westin DC City Center is my favorite Starwood property in DC.
Cheap Elite, can you expand a bit please on why the Westin DC City Ctr is your favorite right now?
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Exclamation

Originally Posted by ECOTONE
The DC Westin City Center is by far the best property in the district now - the renovations that converted it from a Wyndham to a Westin really came out well. I like the location too!
Originally Posted by SASfan
Cheap Elite, can you expand a bit please on why the Westin DC City Ctr is your favorite right now?
I agree with ECOTONE.

SASfan, please see my reviews of the two properties in their individual threads. If you have more question after reading them, please post in the appropriate thread and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Currently both of the older Westin's in DC are in various stages of renovation, so service levels are inconsistent and there is no guarantee as to what type of room you will receive or what condition it will be in. I say avoid them.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by Cheap Elite
I agree with ECOTONE.

SASfan, please see my reviews of the two properties in their individual threads. If you have more question after reading them, please post in the appropriate thread and I'll answer to the best of my ability. Currently both of the older Westin's in DC are in various stages of renovation, so service levels are inconsistent and there is no guarantee as to what type of room you will receive or what condition it will be in. I say avoid them.
Agreed.

It's not that Westin City Center is exceptional, but rather, Westin ER/G are two of the worst SPG properties in the system. Since St. Regis DC is currently not open, Westin City Center becomes the obvious choice.

With that said, if you do not have to stay in DC, I'd recommend Westin Arlington and Westin Alexandria. (Arlington station and King station). Both are very good alternatives in the DC area.
Old Jan 15, 2008, 12:56 pm

Programs: WN A-List, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Agree - Westin City Center

I agree with the recent posts, I've been in DC for 2 nights almost every week for the last 9 months and the DC-Westin City Center is my current favorite hotel in regards to updated rooms, price (if you book early enough, you can sometimes get under $150 during the business week) and location.

I feel like the Virginia SPG hotels are nice enough (for example, the Westin Alexandria which I stayed in earlier this month), but are not as close to DC as I'd like to be.

cwillyg
Old Jan 15, 2008, 4:16 pm

Programs: OW/AA, DL, UA; Marriott Titanium
Four Points DC Downtown

Perhaps its uncouth to mention a 4-points in the middle of all these westin poists...

Just finished a stay at the 4-Points DC downtown. The price was well under $100/nite. The website advertises a club lounge. Calling the hotel the night before, the agent said the lounge is open to Plat guests, including a continental breakfast in the mornings and free internet access. The lounge was not open, and won't be until Febuary. It was misleading that the website says nothing about this, and that their own evening staff didn't know it. In bringing this to a morning desk agent's attention, I was given a voucher for a full American breakfast the next morning in their Courdory restaurant.

The "free internet access" is a computer across from the reception desk, with a very unreliable/frequently dropped internet connection. Maybe that will "improve" when the club lounge re-opens.

If one expects a 4-points & not a Westin, they otherwise won't be disappointed. I've stayed in plenty of 4-points that were absolute dumps and this certainly wasn't that bad. The location is great in that it's not even a five minute walk to the Metro Center station (easy transfers elsewhere on Metro from there). Mabye a 20-min. ride by metro from DCA, 20-min. on metro up to Bethesda, as a reference for other distances.

A "working" club lounge would be cool for a 4-points, if they keep their decent rates. If all you need (and all you want to spend $$ on) is a decent place to sleep w/ a continental breakfast thrown in, this could be it.

Even w/o the lounge, for the <$100 rates in downtown DC, it's not a bad choice on a budget.
Old Feb 23, 2008, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
DC Trip in June 08 with family

I've got a family trip of 4 (2 kids 10 and 8) coming up in June. We plan to stay in DC for 5 nights. We want to take in all the sights. Is it better to stay at either the Westin City Center or Four Points within the city or stay outside the city? I can get these for 40K points (5th night free).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Last edited by 4BandE; Feb 23, 2008 at 11:56 pm Reason: added title

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.