Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:55 pm

Programs: American Airlines, starwood
I second the Fairfax. We stayed there this summer and really enjoyed it. Metro right there, and lovely neighborhood.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 4:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Miami305
I'm looking to stay this April in the DC area. As I will be on my own dime, I am looking for something more affordable. The SPG properties located in DC are all priced >$215/night and my budget is around $115/night. I am having trouble identifying properties as I do not know which of the hotels are located reasonably close to public transportation that will get me into DC. Any suggestions on properties to consider are much appreciated!

I want:
- to spend most of my time in downtown DC (e.g., areas around Dupont Circle, White House etc.)

I have:
- access to a vehicle, and would be happy to drive to a Metrorail or train station to go into DC.

Thank you again...
The first place to start in any search like this is the Master Threads.

In post #82 in http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html I've shown the Washington, DC *wood properties and their location to Metro stations.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:01 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Many thanks to all those that have replied.

I have considered the Fairfax as well as the Sheraton Crystal City, but rates during my period of stay (Apr 27-30) can be astronomical. I did not consider the Sheraton Rockville as I did not know it was near the Red Line, and will be sure to look into that now.

Also, I'd like to publicly acknowledge the kindness of singlemalt for his/her efforts to help. There are very good people on FT... this is a wonderful community.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:51 am

Programs: AGR WOH
It seems that the properties within the core cities (DC, Arlington, Alexandria) all move in lock step on pricing -- particularly in peak seasons, like cherry blossom or during Congressional sessions. Another drawback to these properties is that parking tends to be very expensive at them.

Are you going on a weekend or a weekday? Weekend parking at Metrorail Park & Ride lots is free, whereas it's impossible on weekdays. On the other hand, commuter rail/bus service to the suburbs is hard to come by on weekends.

Sheraton at King Farm is a good bet; there's also a shuttle headed to the Metro, some convenience shops within walking distance, and if you have a car you can pretty easily get to other things around there like the Washingtonian outdoor mall or downtown Rockville. The Sheraton Washington North in Beltsville is about a mile from Metro, but in a less interesting area.

If you're going just for a weekend, then Metro park & ride becomes an option. National Harbor has two SPG hotels whose rates generally track conventions local to there and not the broader hotel market. It's a about 5 miles from the Metro Green Line (I-495 to Branch Ave or I-295 to Anacostia), which has plenty of parking, or to the Yellow Line in Alexandria, Va. There's also a half-hourly bus (NH1) to the Green Line. SPG has a bunch of hotels further out in Northern Virginia (Tysons, Reston, Dulles area); the Tysons hotels are a few miles from the Dunn Loring station on the Orange Line. Reston, Herndon, etc. are only accessible via toll highway.

If you really want to save money or points, there's a 4P out in Manassas (on I-66, 15 miles west of the Vienna Metro) and there are the BWI/Arundel Mills hotels, with shuttle buses available to the relatively frequent MARC/Amtrak service into Washington Union Station.

Oh, I see you did state your dates and they're weekdays. For then, it looks like Rockville is the best buy.

Last edited by paytonc; Feb 1, 2011 at 11:23 am
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, PC Plat, SPG Gold,
Sheraton Suites Alexandria

Is very close to DC and there are two metro stations in DC and there are often very good rates. I stay there frequently and find it very convenient. Often the rates are around 120 a night on the weekend and parking is around 20 dollars a day.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 11:02 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Westin Alexandria

Great slightly hidden hotel very close to King Street Metro. Great breakfast and evening lounge offerings...Staff is good...Dogs can stay for free and plenty to eat in Old town.

We put everyone here and stayed here when house hunting prior to our move.

King Street Metro has two lines that can get you into DC...
Old Mar 29, 2011, 9:32 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by singtx
Great slightly hidden hotel very close to King Street Metro. Great breakfast and evening lounge offerings...Staff is good...Dogs can stay for free and plenty to eat in Old town.

We put everyone here and stayed here when house hunting prior to our move.

King Street Metro has two lines that can get you into DC...
Does Westin Alexandria do much for plats? Never stayed there, but did stay at Hilton Old Town in Alexandria (across street) and it was nice. Looking for SPG property this trip.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
Does Westin Alexandria do much for plats? Never stayed there, but did stay at Hilton Old Town in Alexandria (across street) and it was nice. Looking for SPG property this trip.
I have received suite upgrade there and if the lounge is open -- lounge access. When I have been there, the lounge has been open, so do not know if they comp breakfast when the lounge is closed.
Old Mar 30, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: Delta,SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
One stay lounge was open on weekend so we used it. Another stay it was closed, we were given certs for the restaurant. it was a fixed meal ( cant order off menu) - we got a bread basket (pastries), bagel, OJ and coffee.

We have been upgraded to suites and just SPG floors. Everyone is nice, although the door guys seem to be preoccupied with various things.

We always did street parking and fed the meter until 6PM. The area is dead at night, save a few places...bustling during the day.

Whole Foods around the corner and a great breakfast place across the way.

-cheers
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:08 am

4th of July Advice

I have read through a good chunk of this and other threads but if you guys could help me, I would appreciate it. We're planning 4th of July trip with preteen child and parents. We are SPG Gold not plat...does anywhere offer anything for gold that you know of?

Criteria for stay:
If possible, view of fireworks from hotel or nearby location.
Cat 4 if possible.
Close to Metro & safe to walk
Pool
Space in rooms

Suggestions?!?
Old Apr 25, 2011, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ddjbweb
I have read through a good chunk of this and other threads but if you guys could help me, I would appreciate it. We're planning 4th of July trip with preteen child and parents. We are SPG Gold not plat...does anywhere offer anything for gold that you know of?

Criteria for stay:
If possible, view of fireworks from hotel or nearby location.
Cat 4 if possible.
Close to Metro & safe to walk
Pool
Space in rooms

Suggestions?!?
I'm going to suggest reading individual threads for Washington, DC properties for greater details.

Since you list a pool as a must, please note the only properties IN DC proper with a pool are:
  • Westin Georgetown - Pool is the size of a postage stamp!
  • Four Points Washington, DC - Cant comment as I have not stayed at this property.

Neither of those are "close" to a metro. They are both about a 10 minute walk to a metro station.

For what you want you may have to look into properties in VA or another brand/chain.

Last edited by KENNECTED; Apr 25, 2011 at 8:58 am
Old Apr 25, 2011, 6:49 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I'm going to suggest reading individual threads for Washington, DC properties for greater details.

Since you list a pool as a must, please note the only properties IN DC proper with a pool are:
  • Westin Georgetown - Pool is the size of a postage stamp!
  • Four Points Washington, DC - Cant comment as I have not stayed at this property.

Neither of those are "close" to a metro. They are both about a 10 minute walk to a metro station.

For what you want you may have to look into properties in VA or another brand/chain.
Photo of the pool at the Four Points.

The property is approximately 3 blocks from the Metro at McPherson Square and the Metro at Metro Center.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 6:38 am

Smile Thanks for the photos and advice

If I'm willing to look outside Washington proper but still want convenient access to the mall/museums (ie metro or dc circulator) and a pool, what's my best bang for my star-bucks (haha just realized what that said - caffeine anyone)? Based on everything I've read in this and other threads, I'm looking at the Westin Arlington Gateway, Westin Alexandria - but I was also considering the one in Georgetown. We're a measly gold so is there any chance of club upgrades at any of these hotels (breakfast saves with a preteen)?

Does anyone know if any of the hotels other than the W have a view of the fireworks from a patio or public area? - this would sway me toward that resort, with or without a pool. We don't want to brave the mall and crowds so we're planning to see fireworks either from our hotel or the Arlington side of the river.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 1:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by ddjbweb
If I'm willing to look outside Washington proper but still want convenient access to the mall/museums (ie metro or dc circulator) and a pool, what's my best bang for my star-bucks (haha just realized what that said - caffeine anyone)? Based on everything I've read in this and other threads, I'm looking at the Westin Arlington Gateway, Westin Alexandria - but I was also considering the one in Georgetown. We're a measly gold so is there any chance of club upgrades at any of these hotels (breakfast saves with a preteen)?

Does anyone know if any of the hotels other than the W have a view of the fireworks from a patio or public area? - this would sway me toward that resort, with or without a pool. We don't want to brave the mall and crowds so we're planning to see fireworks either from our hotel or the Arlington side of the river.

Thanks in advance for your help and feedback.
No property in DC proper has a lounge. I would garner to see the properties in VA have views. Check the master threads of those properties for more information.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 5:14 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
No property in DC proper has a lounge. I would garner to see the properties in VA have views. Check the master threads of those properties for more information.
In DC proper, for Starwoods, no. However, the Westin Arlington and Westin Alexandria (the other two the poster mentioned) do have lounges. The Westin Georgetown is a fine hotel (and I stay there often, so I must like it pretty well), but it has no lounge and there are very few suites so you aren't getting upgraded to a suite anyway.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.