Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: Aeroplan E25, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold, Delta Skymiles Silver, HHonors Gold, Nexus
Any body?
Old Dec 13, 2010, 1:28 pm

I work in D.C. and live many hours away and am pretty hesitant to share my favorite hotel in the area because rates are still decent, it is never too crowded and well I am selfish.

The Westin Alexandria is the best SPG property within proximity of D.C. It is not a perfect hotel and I could nit-pick some smaller issues that all fall back to a lazy or ineffective GM but the location, the walking distance whole foods, the great gym, the young age and good rates make it the best secret in the area.

Pro-tip, don't pay their 24/night valet charge. There is a 10/night free on Sundays parking garage 2 blocks to the west near the movie theater.
Old Dec 13, 2010, 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Triley
Any body?
Why don't you list some criteria and some of us who spend/spent lots of time in DC hotels can help you out. Do you want to stay inside the district, are you on business, what do you want with your hotel?
Old Dec 14, 2010, 5:50 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Hello all, I will be traveling to DC with my grandmother and mother for a Friday to Sunday trip in late April. So far, there are great rates at the Westin City Center, and some hotels in Arlington, notably the Sheraton National. (Ended up getting the revenue manager to give me the AAA rate of $129 for a traditional for 3 people. Seems like a great rate.)

Which would you consider to be the lesser of two evils? The Westin City Center, or the Sheraton National? Cheap Elite ranked the Westin City Center second to last in rank of SPG hotels in DC, so that kind of would have me hesitant. And price has to be reasonable, as I am not actually paying for this trip.

If it's any help, we will be taking the Acela to Union Station, and will be flying back out of DCA. We do not mind taking public transportation to/from the hotel, and would actually be preferred, since we won't rent a car for such a short stay. (We would rather be close to a subway station as opposed to the bus, although it would definitely be okay if the hotel runs a shuttle to a subway station.)

Any help that is provided will be appreciated. Thanks!
Any body?

You state you don't mind taking public transportation. A couple of posts prior to your original post is a list of Starwood properties and their proximity to Metro stations. You can start there and then look at the Master Threads for each property. You should be able to get all the info you need from those searches.

Have a good trip.
Old Dec 14, 2010, 6:37 pm
RNE

Best Starwood hotel DC (not VA) to Watch 4th of July Fireworks from Hotel?

Any recommendations for a Starwood property in DC (not VA) offering good views of Independence Day fireworks? I'm talking a rooftop lounge or something, not viewing through the room window.

Thanks!
Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:23 pm

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I don't have a lot of input on prices, I'm mostly on a corporate rate and we have great rates some places that are normally expensive and other places we pay the same as everyone else.

That said though, I've never been a fan of the Westin City Center. If the rate was good enough I'd stay there but I'd much rather stay at the Westin Georgetown (nee Westin Grand).

As for the Sheraton National, I've never stayed there but I used to live in the area. Its main problem is that its on the wrong side of 395/27/Columbia Pike from Pentagon Row and Fashion Center, which would be the only things around in walking distance (including the Metro).

If I'm staying with SPG in DC, I'm almost always at one of the Westins, Grand/Georgetown, Alexandria, or Arlington. The Grand has a distinct lack of suites and lounge, which both the Alexandria and Arlington have over it. All three have stuff to do around them, though Alexandria is arguably the most secluded as it is a bit of a walk into Old Town (or a pretty quick taxi).
Old Dec 21, 2010, 9:30 am

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by RNE
Any recommendations for a Starwood property in DC (not VA) offering good views of Independence Day fireworks? I'm talking a rooftop lounge or something, not viewing through the room window.
The W is a great place -- see the thread above!
Old Dec 21, 2010, 2:44 pm
RNE

Originally Posted by terps37
DoubleTree Crystal City - Used points last year with a phenomenal view of the fireworks
I like the room rates at that hotel, compared to hotels in DC proper. But I won't have a car, so I'm wondering if the metro is easily accessible from the hotel. I can't tell from the map, but it doesn't look like it.

RNE, adding an FYI, "Beginning January 3, 2011, the Skydome Lounge will be closed for renovations. During this time, dinner will be served nightly in Windows Over Washington, which offers the same spectacular view that the Skydome does. We hope you will join us in Windows Over Washington and please plan on visiting the newly renovated Skydome in March 2011." So it should be open for the 4th of July. ^
Old Dec 23, 2010, 10:54 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Please also see the thread below for other recommendations on where to see fireworks in and around Washington DC. A few of the non-Starwood-related posts from this thread have been moved to the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/washi...endations.html

l'etoile
Starwood co-moderator
Old Dec 23, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, AA Plat, UA Silver, kettle everywhere else
Just posted a long review of the W Washington DC on my blog, with an emphasis on the fitness facilities. Hope it helps someone with a decision!
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:18 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Delta Platinum Medallion, AAdvantage Platinum Pro
Help sought from those familiar with Washington D.C. area SPG properties

I'm looking to stay this April in the DC area. As I will be on my own dime, I am looking for something more affordable. The SPG properties located in DC are all priced >$215/night and my budget is around $115/night. I am having trouble identifying properties as I do not know which of the hotels are located reasonably close to public transportation that will get me into DC. Any suggestions on properties to consider are much appreciated!

I want:
- to spend most of my time in downtown DC (e.g., areas around Dupont Circle, White House etc.)

I have:
- access to a vehicle, and would be happy to drive to a Metrorail or train station to go into DC.

Thank you again...
Old Jan 31, 2011, 3:28 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
From the FAQ:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Currently at the Fairfax, got a great $144/night rate and upgraded to a deluxe suite. It's a block off Dupont circle. Not sure what the rates are like for April, but I highly recommend it.
Old Jan 31, 2011, 9:15 pm
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Are any of the properties offering cash and points during your desired timeframe?

I really liked the Fairfax as well
Old Jan 31, 2011, 11:15 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, AA Platinum, MGM Gold
Given your parameters, it seems like you have a couple of options:

-- There are a handful of hotels in the Crystal City / Alexandria area that are in fairly close proximity to a Metro train station. For example, the Sheraton Crystal City is right next to the Metro stop on the blue/yellow line and is only a few minute ride to downtown -- although if you are going to Dupont Circle you will need to transfer to the Red Line at Metro Center for two stops.

-- If you do not mind being a little bit farther out from the city (and this may save you some $ also), the Sheraton Rockville would be a good bet. It is only a mile from the Shady Grove metro station on the red line, which has parking available and will take you straight to Dupont Circle as well as Farragut North (which is very close to the White House). They are about a 30 minute train ride from Shady Grove.

Finally, a quick disclaimer: I have not stayed in any of these hotels or researched reviews on them. I only searched by your parameters of not being in DC and located near public transportation. I would stay in one of these hotels (based upon price, etc.) if I were in your shoes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.