Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2008, 12:32 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, airline free agent
Anyone stay at the St Regis since it has re-opened?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 9:39 am

Originally Posted by 4BandE
I've got a family trip of 4 (2 kids 10 and 8) coming up in June. We plan to stay in DC for 5 nights. We want to take in all the sights. Is it better to stay at either the Westin City Center or Four Points within the city or stay outside the city? I can get these for 40K points (5th night free).

Thanks in advance for your suggestions!

Looks like you didn't get any suggestions (sorry!) but what did you end up doing, 4BandE? Posting your experiences, especially while traveling with the family, would really help future FTers considering similar trips to DC.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:26 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by HSaxa
Anyone stay at the St Regis since it has re-opened?
Check this thread.
St. Regis - Washington D.C. [Master Thread]
Old Mar 10, 2009, 4:55 pm
GIJ

Programs: SPG Plus, AC Elite
Which one?

Hello all ,

I did a bit research for washington hotels, Fairfax, Westin Grand and Westin City. I am looking for a convenience location for Cherry blossom on the last weekend of March. I reserved Fairfax because the current good deal $99. It is LC and attempted to see what it is good. I read CheapElite stay report but it seems that it is in its tradition style. Also, this trip will be first driving trip to DC with my parents, so I need a walkable distance for my parents.

Edit: I have noticed that some of sheraton hotels are located on Virgina like Westin Alexandriam, Sheraton National and Westin Tysons Corner with great rate, stay there and drive to Washington?

I would go for Marriott if it is comparably convenience, of course they would have free breakfast.

PS. thanks for CheapElite's detail report

Last edited by GIJ; Mar 10, 2009 at 5:12 pm
Old Jun 10, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Been a few months since update here. Im headed there this weekend. Any suggestions? Any newer updates? I want to do 2-4 properties.

Thanks
Old Jun 10, 2009, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by chanp
Been a few months since update here. Im headed there this weekend. Any suggestions? Any newer updates? I want to do 2-4 properties.

Thanks
I prefer the Westin Arlington Gateway and Westin Alexandria, two newer properties with decent lounges. I usually get upgrade to a suite and access to the lounge at both Westins. The weekend rates are also very reasonable.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA *S, Hyatt DIA, *W/IC Plat, HH Gold, A3 *G, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by CIT85
I prefer the Westin Arlington Gateway and Westin Alexandria, two newer properties with decent lounges. I usually get upgrade to a suite and access to the lounge at both Westins. The weekend rates are also very reasonable.
If you're looking to be close to a metro, choose the Westin Arlington Gateway (WAG)...it's about 4 blocks from the Ballston stop on the orange line. Pretty good lounge, like CIT85 said, and ask for a room ending in -12 (suites).

Westin Alexandria is also pretty new, with a nice lounge, hot food in the morning and after 6 pm, and walking distance from the King street metro (blue & yellow lines) and Eisenhower (yellow) metro.

I recently stayed on a Starpicks.com $71 rate at the Westin Tysons Corner. Great rate! I splurged on an egg white omelette and healthy berry smoothie. I love a good Westin breakfast after a great sleep in a Heavenly bed.
Old Jun 10, 2009, 10:54 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
I usually stay at Westin DC City center if I need to be downtown because it's usually cheaper than Westin Grand or Westin Embassy Row (now called something different). All good options though.
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:29 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, HH Diam, MR Plat, AA Plat, CO Elite Plat., Hertz Gold
Westins ?????

I myself am planning an upcoming trip there next month. I was curious about the Westin properties as well. The Westin City Center looks a little more modern than the Westin Grand.

Any recommendations??
Old Jul 30, 2009, 2:40 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
Originally Posted by socalplat
I myself am planning an upcoming trip there next month. I was curious about the Westin properties as well. The Westin City Center looks a little more modern than the Westin Grand.

Any recommendations??
I stayed at both Westin's recently. I like the Grand better than the CC. Although the CC gave me a big suite, just seemed a bit more run down.
Old Sep 9, 2009, 5:43 pm

Programs: Life SPG Plat, 7X NH DIA
DC Advice Please

Hi All:

I'll be coming into town for Thanksgiving week.
Of course I'll have 2 goals.
1) Rack a few stays (3, 4, or 5 are my options)
2) Have a nice trip

My flights set up well for the "stays" portion.
Monday Midnight arrival to IAD...Great rate at the Aloft (no 1000 pt bonus )
Saturday 6 AM departure from BWI...Great rate Fri night at Aloft BWI (not really worth $30 incremental to grab 1000pts at the nearby element)

So that leaves me with Tue, Wed, Thurs

I have C&P booked at the W on Wed and Thurs
I have BAR booked at the Westin City Center on Tues & Thurs
W is too $$$ on Tuesday
Can switch BAR to prepaid when I have my plan finalized.

Question:
Is the W worth an incremental cash or points to upgrade my trip from the Westin City Center?
Is it worth to stay at the W 2 nights (Wed, Thur) instead of heading back to the Westin City Center on Turkey Day?
Does the W blow the Westin City Center out of the water?
I've got the points just don't want to "Waste" them.

Below options are "all-in" costs including my mattress run costs to balance the stays at 3 (one per night Tue, Wed, Thur)...

I could do a little of all three...
Westin Prepaid $115, W prepaid $272, W C&P $102, $85 MR=$574+4800pts.
(Pro: 2 nights at W Con: Most spendy, incremental $75+4800 points to stay put on Turkey Day and not go back to Westin)

I could max stays...
Westin Prepaid $115, W prepaid $272, Westin Prepaid $115=$502+0pts
(Pro: Still get a night at W, early-in, late-out, No MR required. Con: Move back to Westin on Thanksgiving Day)

I could go cheap...
Westin Prepaid $115, Westin Prepaid $115, Westin Prepaid $115, $170 MR =$525+0pts
(Pro: No need hop in DC, Con: No W Hotel, 2 MRs required. Can do but out of my way.)

I could emphasize Cash & Points...
Westin Prepaid $115, W C&P $102, W C&P $102, $170 MR=$489+9600pts.
(Pro: Costs less, 2 nights at W for 4800points per night)

What would you do?

PS I'm traveling with my 9 year old daughter. She can pack her own chute! Easily mobile enough to hop.

Thanks.

Scho
Old Sep 9, 2009, 6:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by schoflyer
Hi All:

I'll be coming into town for Thanksgiving week.
Of course I'll have 2 goals.
1) Rack a few stays (3, 4, or 5 are my options)
2) Have a nice trip

My flights set up well for the "stays" portion.
Monday Midnight arrival to IAD...Great rate at the Aloft (no 1000 pt bonus )
Saturday 6 AM departure from BWI...Great rate Fri night at Aloft BWI (not really worth $30 incremental to grab 1000pts at the nearby element)

So that leaves me with Tue, Wed, Thurs

I have C&P booked at the W on Wed and Thurs
I have BAR booked at the Westin City Center on Tues & Thurs
W is too $$$ on Tuesday
Can switch BAR to prepaid when I have my plan finalized.

Question:
Is the W worth an incremental cash or points to upgrade my trip from the Westin City Center?
Is it worth to stay at the W 2 nights (Wed, Thur) instead of heading back to the Westin City Center on Turkey Day?
Does the W blow the Westin City Center out of the water?
I've got the points just don't want to "Waste" them.

Below options are "all-in" costs including my mattress run costs to balance the stays at 3 (one per night Tue, Wed, Thur)...

I could do a little of all three...
Westin Prepaid $115, W prepaid $272, W C&P $102, $85 MR=$574+4800pts.
(Pro: 2 nights at W Con: Most spendy, incremental $75+4800 points to stay put on Turkey Day and not go back to Westin)

I could max stays...
Westin Prepaid $115, W prepaid $272, Westin Prepaid $115=$502+0pts
(Pro: Still get a night at W, early-in, late-out, No MR required. Con: Move back to Westin on Thanksgiving Day)

I could go cheap...
Westin Prepaid $115, Westin Prepaid $115, Westin Prepaid $115, $170 MR =$525+0pts
(Pro: No need hop in DC, Con: No W Hotel, 2 MRs required. Can do but out of my way.)

I could emphasize Cash & Points...
Westin Prepaid $115, W C&P $102, W C&P $102, $170 MR=$489+9600pts.
(Pro: Costs less, 2 nights at W for 4800points per night)

What would you do?

PS I'm traveling with my 9 year old daughter. She can pack her own chute! Easily mobile enough to hop.

Thanks.

Scho
If you want bonus points & a milage run you could always hop between the Westin Grand and the Fairfax.

Alternatively you could stay on the VA side of the river and hotel hop there.
Old Sep 10, 2009, 11:08 am

Help on SPG properties in DC

Looking for something in downtown area in Washington DC for 5 nights in early October. Or something in DC Metro area that is near a metro station and connects to downtown via metro (say 30 mins travel time max). Budget is upto $200++

Been trying 'Pay your birth year' promo - wasn't getting anything. Couldn't think of anything else that can get the rates down since I need refundable options.

Any suggestions are welcome..

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Sep 10, 2009 at 1:04 pm Reason: merged without edit
Old Nov 30, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
St Regis vs. W

Any insights on St Regis vs. the W in terms of Plat treatment and other factors? I did read the master threads on both...hoping to hear from someone who has had a chance to stay at both.

Am planning to stay at one of the two hotels with my wife this weekend to celebrate a special occasion and am looking for a stay with some atmosphere...

I have C&P booked at the W for Fri and Sat nights, but the ZBT rate is around $400 (+ tax) for both nights so might switch to that. The St Regis is around 225 a night so a slight premium compared to the ZBT rate at the W.

thanks for the help.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 6:37 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
DC Starwood Properties and Distance to Nearest Metro

Click the link for a list of *wood properties in the DC area and their distance to the nearest Metro.

Starwood DC Locations and Distance to Nearest Metro Station

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.