Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2015, 9:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by dc2447
Thankyou for the comprehensive and if I might venture, pleasant post

Yes, sight seeing is nice but not essential.
We will also be spending two nights at the start of our trip sightseeing, staying near DCA - would be nice to see something though.

Paying taxis, when your hotel is free, seems okay, so not keen on metro.

We are all staying in same room, indeed that restricts us to the properties listed in previous post.

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Le Méridien Arlington
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Thanks for your help.
If this is the case, you should include the Westin Arlington, Sheraton Arlington and the Westin Crystal City.

MODS: Can this thread be merged into the existing thread?
Old Jul 24, 2015, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by dc2447
Thankyou for the comprehensive and if I might venture, pleasant post

Yes, sight seeing is nice but not essential.
We will also be spending two nights at the start of our trip sightseeing, staying near DCA - would be nice to see something though.

Paying taxis, when your hotel is free, seems okay, so not keen on metro.

We are all staying in same room, indeed that restricts us to the properties listed in previous post.

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Le Méridien Arlington
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Thanks for your help.
You're welcome!

Well, if all of these properties allow the four of you in one room, you might check their websites since they usually indicate the size of the rooms. Or, as I mentioned, see if for a few extra thousand points you can reserve a larger room or a suite at a given property.

But if there's not much difference in room size, for a combination of a nice area and a nice hotel I'd rank the four I've stayed at in the following order:

1. Definitely the Fairfax (though as I'd previously mentioned, IIRC the Fairfax rooms are small)
2. Westin Georgetown
3. Le Meridien Arlington
4. Westin City Center

One other thought that occurs to me is that there are a couple of Starwoods in Alexandria, which is a nice town in northern Virginia near DC. But I don't know offhand how nice they are, how near either one is to the heart of Alexandria or how much staying there would add to your taxi ride to IAD.

Happy trails!

Last edited by Thunderroad; Jul 24, 2015 at 8:50 pm
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
You're welcome!

Well, if all of these properties allow the four of you in one room, you might check their websites since they usually indicate the size of the rooms. Or, as I mentioned, see if for a few extra thousand points you can reserve a larger room or a suite at a given property.

But if there's not much difference, for a combination of a nice area and a nice hotel I'd rank the four I've stayed at in the following order:

1. Definitely the Fairfax
2. Westin Georgetown
3. Le Meridien Arlington
4. Westin City Center

One other thought that occurs to me is that there are a couple of Starwoods in Alexandria, which is a nice town in northern Virginia near DC. But I don't know offhand how nice they are, how near either one is to the heart of Alexandria or how much staying there would add to your taxi ride to IAD.

Happy trails!
I disagree with the suggest of The Fairfax for a family of four staying one room. Unless they like small rooms.
Old Jul 24, 2015, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Originally Posted by KENNECTED
I disagree with the suggest of The Fairfax for a family of four staying one room. Unless they like small rooms.
You're right. I should have said if not much difference in room size. I've correctly my post accordingly.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 4:14 am
Suspended

Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Thanks everyone, four people in the room so booked Westin Georgetown.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 4:09 pm

Programs: MR AMB/LT, AA EP, TK EP, DL D, B6 M4, F9 100K, IHG AMB/D, HH D, CZR D, FndCd, Sixt D, NTL E, Hz PC
Longer stays?

I'm going to be in DC (working near Lafeyette Square) for weeks/months at a time. I stayed at the W DC last time, and it was OK but far from amazing -- tiny room, great location, mixed staff.

I've liked Fairfax in the past, but it's a bit farther away.

Anywhere else I should consider? I'm paying this out of pocket (I think) so getting screwed regardless, but anything beyond $350/night would really hurt. There's a possibility it could be government rate (employee, not contractor), and AAA.

Westin DC seems to have the cheapest fully-refundable for the next trip. My real preference would be the Westin Georgetown or St. Regis, but that's probably not happening. I might try Hay-Adams (have a good Founder's Card rate) or the Willard (IHG Ambassador) sometime, but I want stay/night credit.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:32 pm

Planning a trip in DC, which SPG property?

We've stayed at Westin Tysons Corners before - friendly but old.

Any other recommendations? I'm looking at Sheraton Suites in Alexandria, seems to have good reviews. Worth it?

Also, might be a silly question, can one uses a SNA on Sheraton Suites bookings? Upgrade to bigger suites perhaps or no such thing?

Anyway, any suggestions would be helping. I prefer new hotels with exceptional services. We are mostly planning to stay 2 days to mostly tour DC, should I just live in DC properties? Are parking going to be a major issue if I do?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
St Regis Washington.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 9:43 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
St Regis Washington.

If you stay at the StR when you're in DC, let me know next time you're there and I'll come visit
Old Jul 30, 2015, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew

If you stay at the StR when you're in DC, let me know next time you're there and I'll come visit
I usually saved my St. Regis trips to business ones when my comp pays for them. This time family trip is only 3 days and 2 nights, seems like a waste of St. Regis (at least a week in my opinion to truly enjoy all the hotel amenities)
Old Jul 30, 2015, 4:34 pm

Programs: Marriott AMB, Skywards Gold
Originally Posted by remymartin
+1.

It was even on the first page of the SPG forum when this thread was started.
Yup, it wasn't even on the bottom. It was right in the center.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 6:24 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Anyways, some quick thoughts.

If you want to see DC, you should stay in DC proper. The main properties there are the StR, the Westin DC, the Fairfax (Luxury Collection), and the W. Your main deciding factor should be location; all of them have decent service. I've heard good things about the Fairfax's service, and I've stayed there personally. It was a good hotel, but if you have more than 2 people, you'll either need a suite (or a Grand Deluxe, 2 doubles) or two rooms. It does have good close-in rates: e.g. three weeks out, the rate was ~$300; the day before, the rate was $140.

You'll see the name of the Westin Georgetown tossed around--it's not really in Georgetown. It's not in a great location.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew
Anyways, some quick thoughts.

If you want to see DC, you should stay in DC proper. The main properties there are the StR, the Westin DC, the Fairfax (Luxury Collection), and the W. Your main deciding factor should be location; all of them have decent service. I've heard good things about the Fairfax's service, and I've stayed there personally. It was a good hotel, but if you have more than 2 people, you'll either need a suite (or a Grand Deluxe, 2 doubles) or two rooms. It does have good close-in rates: e.g. three weeks out, the rate was ~$300; the day before, the rate was $140.

You'll see the name of the Westin Georgetown tossed around--it's not really in Georgetown. It's not in a great location.
Thanks, exactly what I'm looking for.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:06 pm

Programs: JL GC | Marriott LT Silver | Global Entry | SQ Silver
Question Westin Crystal City

Decided to stay at the Westin Crystal City on points for my last 2-3 nights in DC before I fly back on the morning of June 24th. Rest of the properties are either too expensive or no more points redemption available.

Is 3 nights too much or just 2 will do? No plans on what to visit but just a few landmarks and museums.
Old May 28, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by lcpteck
Decided to stay at the Westin Crystal City on points for my last 2-3 nights in DC before I fly back on the morning of June 24th. Rest of the properties are either too expensive or no more points redemption available.

Is 3 nights too much or just 2 will do? No plans on what to visit but just a few landmarks and museums.
I think the area easily supports even ,longer multi-day visits. It is really just a matter of compiling a list of your must-see and must-do attractions and prioritize them to your personal goals.

Staying the third night will simply allow you to hit more attractions on your list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.