Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Old Jul 23, 15, 5:57 am
  #196  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Question

Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
I am flying from TPA to DCA with my family, wife and two kids, staying in Washington for a single night then flying back to the uk via IAD

Which Sheraton property would you recommend for the family?

Keen on good location (when flying into DCA and out via IAD), good facilities and suitable for family.
Have you looked at the Master threads? I'm not trying to be mean, but that information is easily accessible.

There is not Sheraton in the District proper, but several in VA with convenient access to the District.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 6:43 am
  #197  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Singapore
Programs: JL Sapphire | GE, TSA-Pre
Posts: 6,715
Agreed, please look at the master thread.
lcpteck is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:05 am
  #198  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Toronto
Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Posts: 719
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2252 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

While this doesn't directly answer your question and I don't know the purpose of your trip, the St. Regis is in a great location for a 1 night stay if you plan to do any quick sightseeing (kids) such as the White House
yulhammeryyz is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:07 am
  #199  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wash, DC
Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 161
Your easiest option is to take the Metro one stop from DCA to Crystal City and check into the Westin there. There are restaurants there within walking distance, but I can't say Crystal City is anything to write home about.

You're looking at about an $80 cab ride to Dulles. With a family it's worth it, since it will cost you about $45 even if you take the bus.
DudeE is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:19 am
  #200  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Barcelona, London, on a plane
Programs: BA Gold, TK E+, IB+, VS FC, Hyatt Globalist, MR Plat Prem, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Posts: 8,394
So much depends on your budget that it's hard to say. Are you planning to take public transport to Dulles or a taxi? (it's a long way) Do you want to be walking distance from the sights or are you happy taking the Metro?

I don't want to generalise too much, but "W"s and St Regis hotels aren't really for most families. Georgetown is out of the way for sightseeing. That doesn't really leave a lot of Starwood options...

I personally like the Westin in Crystal City. Often cheap, close to DCA and seconds from the Metro - a few stops away from the action. But not everybody's cup to tea to stay in a fairly sterile, bland suburb.
craigthemif is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 8:50 am
  #201  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by craigthemif View Post
So much depends on your budget that it's hard to say. Are you planning to take public transport to Dulles or a taxi? (it's a long way) Do you want to be walking distance from the sights or are you happy taking the Metro?
I have no budget, burning points. I have two nights in the Radisson Blu by DCA on my way in.

Available redemptions seem to be
  • The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
  • The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
  • The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
  • Le Méridien Arlington
  • Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

I don't want to generalise too much, but "W"s and St Regis hotels aren't really for most families. Georgetown is out of the way for sightseeing. That doesn't really leave a lot of Starwood options...
Thats helpful

I personally like the Westin in Crystal City. Often cheap, close to DCA and seconds from the Metro - a few stops away from the action. But not everybody's cup to tea to stay in a fairly sterile, bland suburb.
Not mine

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Kbd) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.3.2.2252 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

While this doesn't directly answer your question and I don't know the purpose of your trip, the St. Regis is in a great location for a 1 night stay if you plan to do any quick sightseeing (kids) such as the White House
No availability

Thanks for everyone who pointed me towards the master threads - the information I requested is not easily available imvho but as ever, i appreciate you taking the time to tell me you could not help me
dc2447 is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 9:57 am
  #202  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: DCA
Programs: AA EXP; BoNVoY Plat
Posts: 1,764
The Fairfax is in a good neighborhood, next to Dupont Circle which has metro access and lots of informal dining that might be good for a family.
ckendall is offline  
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:06 am
  #203  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: SFO
Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Skywards Platinum
Posts: 3,040
I stayed at the Sheraton Pentagon City about 2 months ago and was upgraded to the presidential suite for the night. It had a great view of the Pentagon and DC.
LovetoTravel83 is online now  
Old Jul 23, 15, 10:26 pm
  #204  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wash, DC
Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 161
If the St. Regis isn't available, I'd go for the Fairfax given the location.

A decent second choice is the Le Meridien in Arlington, which is right by Rosslyn metro on the orange/blue/silver line.

The Pentagon City property is cheap - but it's Pentagon City (think Crystal City, but worse)
DudeE is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 4:21 am
  #205  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by DudeE View Post
If the St. Regis isn't available, I'd go for the Fairfax given the location.

A decent second choice is the Le Meridien in Arlington, which is right by Rosslyn metro on the orange/blue/silver line.

The Pentagon City property is cheap - but it's Pentagon City (think Crystal City, but worse)
Originally Posted by ckendall View Post
The Fairfax is in a good neighborhood, next to Dupont Circle which has metro access and lots of informal dining that might be good for a family.
Thanks, Fairfax is available for 12,000 points which seems reasonable

any reason why you both recommend the two Westin properties?

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C. and The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, location? Not suited to families?
dc2447 is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 6:33 am
  #206  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Wash, DC
Programs: SPG Platinum, Delta Gold Medallion, United/Star Alliance Gold, Marriott Gold
Posts: 161
City Center's location is fine, but the property is dated and has a cavernous atrium layout that makes it feel like a shopping mall or a convention center. Georgetown is not, as the name suggests, actually in Georgetown. You're probably a 20 to 30 minute walk to the Lincoln Memorial, but that's about all that's going on down there.
DudeE is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 6:43 am
  #207  
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat 100 (LT Gold), IHG Spire, Hyatt Diamond, HH Gold, National EE, Hertz Prez Circle
Posts: 470
Originally Posted by dc2447 View Post
Thanks, Fairfax is available for 12,000 points which seems reasonable

any reason why you both recommend the two Westin properties?

The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C. and The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center, location? Not suited to families?
I have to second the Fairfax. Rooms are large, it's very central to a great number of touristy things in DC, and is relatively affordable. Just avoid parking if you have a rental car, as the rates are outrageous.
landeej is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 8:27 am
  #208  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Oakland, California, USA
Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Expl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Posts: 10,520
I infer from your post that you're simply interested in a nice place for the family to stay rather than doing sightseeing, and that with four people and bags in tow you'll be taking taxis from and to the airports (so Metro access isn't crucial). If that's the case, you might look into Starwood properties near IAD. I'm afraid I don't know them well, but via the SPG site you can find them and through that site or Tripadvisor you can get some ratings and reviews of them.

Having said that, I agree with others that the Fairfax is a nice hotel conveniently located for lots of family-friendly restaurants of all sorts within walking distance in the Dupont Circle area. I'd also steer you clear of the Westin City Center as neither the neighborhood (though safe) and the hotel are particularly charming, and the atrium can make it kind of noisy. Westin Georgetown is ok, but as noted above it's a bit of a walk to Georgetown and not really near the nicest parts of Georgetown.

One threshold matter you might want to clarify, though, is whether you plan to put the entire family of four in one room and, if so, which if any hotels will allow that. (I can't see the Fairfax having enough space in its pleasant but smallish regular rooms for that, for instance. IIRC, the Westin Georgetown rooms tend to be bigger.) Perhaps some are open to that if the kids are young enough, but I just don't know about their policies. As you may know, occasionally Starwood properties make larger rooms or suites available for some extra points (though you have to call to determine the availability of these), so maybe that would help.
Thunderroad is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 8:51 am
  #209  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: New York, NY
Programs: Delta - Gold; Starwood - Platinum; HHonors - Diamond & Avis Preferred
Posts: 10,869
Originally Posted by landeej View Post
I have to second the Fairfax. Rooms are large, it's very central to a great number of touristy things in DC, and is relatively affordable. Just avoid parking if you have a rental car, as the rates are outrageous.

I will say that is incorrect. Not all the rooms are large and the rooms that are are generally king rooms they use for upgrades.

I've done MANY stays at that property and even posted room pictures pre and during renovation just prior to the switch over from the Westin to Fairfax.

Even some of the two room suites are small.
KENNECTED is offline  
Old Jul 24, 15, 8:58 am
  #210  
Suspended
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: London
Programs: BA Gold, UA Silver, CC Gold, SPG Gold
Posts: 2,000
Originally Posted by Thunderroad View Post
I infer from your post that you're simply interested in a nice place for the family to stay rather than doing sightseeing, and that with four people and bags in tow you'll be taking taxis from and to the airports (so Metro access isn't crucial). If that's the case, you might look into Starwood properties near IAD. I'm afraid I don't know them well, but via the SPG site you can find them and through that site or Tripadvisor you can get some ratings and reviews of them.

Having said that, I agree with others that the Fairfax is a nice hotel conveniently located for lots of family-friendly restaurants of all sorts within walking distance in the Dupont Circle area. I'd also steer you clear of the Westin City Center as neither the neighborhood (though safe) and the hotel are particularly charming, and the atrium can make it kind of noisy. Westin Georgetown is ok, but as noted above it's a bit of a walk to Georgetown and not really near the nicest parts of Georgetown.

One threshold matter you might want to clarify, though, is whether you plan to put the entire family of four in one room and, if so, which if any hotels will allow that. (I can't see the Fairfax having enough space in its pleasant but smallish regular rooms for that, for instance. IIRC, the Westin Georgetown rooms tend to be bigger.) Perhaps some are open to that if the kids are young enough, but I just don't know about their policies. As you may know, occasionally Starwood properties make larger rooms or suites available for some extra points (though you have to call to determine the availability of these), so maybe that would help.
Thankyou for the comprehensive and if I might venture, pleasant post

Yes, sight seeing is nice but not essential.
We will also be spending two nights at the start of our trip sightseeing, staying near DCA - would be nice to see something though.

Paying taxis, when your hotel is free, seems okay, so not keen on metro.

We are all staying in same room, indeed that restricts us to the properties listed in previous post.

The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
The Fairfax at Embassy Row, Washington, D.C.
Le Méridien Arlington
Sheraton Pentagon City Hotel

Thanks for your help.
dc2447 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: