Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Washington D.C. which hotel? 2007 onward [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 8:50 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime PLT
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Hi all, I'm planning a small meeting in dc soon, and I'm debating between the Westin & Sheraton 4P.
Are you talking about the city center Westin? I have not stayed at either, but location is pretty much the same so I would choose the Westin. They are not in the most accessible part of the city but if they are driving I guess it does not matter too much.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:02 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb LTT, HHonors Diamond, AA ExPlat, United Silver
Originally Posted by TimesTwo
Hi all, I'm planning a small meeting in dc soon, and I'm debating between the Westin & Sheraton 4P. I don't have status (in the process of switching to spg from hh), so upgrades aren't a factor. I'm mostly interested in nice conference rooms, good food, easy enough access (I think most of my participants will be driving and valeting, and the price is similar). Also just a general good feeling. I want my client and participants to have a good experience for the days they're there. Only colleagues and I will be staying in sleeping rooms. Thanks!

Edit to add: I read thru the threads of these properties and the only reference I saw to the meeting spaces (iirc) was that the Westins were in the basement and felt like you were in a cave. Anyone have any experience there?
Old Jan 19, 2012, 9:09 am

I have stayed multiple times at the Westin Georgetown, Westin DC Center and Sheraton 4Pts. The 4 Pts is near the convention center, very plain, dining options limited. The only advantage is that it is the only of the 3 properties with a pool (on the roof). Doesn't seem that would be a plus for you.
Either of the 2 Westins would be more to what you are looking for. Both have great dining options. Both are relatively impressive properties. Both have good meeting space, although there may be more at the CC. The Gtown property is in a slightly quieter location. CC is closer to the hub of DC.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 10:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
How does the Fairfax compare with the St. Regis? I normally stay at the latter, but I'm currently booked at the Fairfax for an upcoming stay as it is 4x cheaper with the PAYAGE rate. I've reviewed the property threads but just wondering if anyone has done a recent comparison. Sounds like a courtyard room is the way to go for those of us who value quiet above all else.
Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:24 am

Programs: US CP, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Boraxo
How does the Fairfax compare with the St. Regis? I normally stay at the latter, but I'm currently booked at the Fairfax for an upcoming stay as it is 4x cheaper with the PAYAGE rate. I've reviewed the property threads but just wondering if anyone has done a recent comparison. Sounds like a courtyard room is the way to go for those of us who value quiet above all else.
I've stayed at the Fairfax a handful of times but never at the St Regis, so don't have a direct comparison. Overall, the Fairfax is a good option. Its close to the Metro, but not so close to Dupont that you get a lot of noise in the area (at least that I've noticed). The rooms are fairly nice and the bar has good food and drink (much moreso than most hotel bars I've been to).

Its not the best example of a Luxury Collection hotel, though its certainly not a bad hotel by any means (its one of my two favorite Starwood hotels in DC, along with the Westin Georgetown). I don't think it quite stacks up to the other Luxury Collection hotels I've stayed at (US Grant in San Diego, Ballantyne in Charlotte, Grand Hotel in Florence, though that one has been turned into a St Regis now), but I like the hotel.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by doctor15
Are you talking about the city center Westin? I have not stayed at either, but location is pretty much the same so I would choose the Westin. They are not in the most accessible part of the city but if they are driving I guess it does not matter too much.
Thanks for the replies. Yes, CC Westin. Looks like they're a few bucks cheaper anyway, so I may go with that (trying to be good to my company's bottom line )
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Reporting back on my recent stay at the Fairfax:

Overall it is a very nice property, a small cut below the St. Regis in terms of luxury but definitely nicer than all the other SPG properties in DC. Maybe better location for tourists though St. Regis is likely better for most business visitors depending on office location. The furnishings and decor are elegant, and betray its former identity as a Ritz Carlton. Some of the bathrooms are pretty small. You want to avoid rooms with connecting doors as you will hear everything from your neighbors. The staff was excellent - one of the best I've found anywhere in DC. Could not be more helpful, the doorman almost always got the door for us and the front desk accommodating a couple of room relo requests and also a 2pm late checkout without any hassle. I would definitely stay here again, particularly if the pay-your-birthyear rate is available (though note that they recently changed the rate to "birthyear+$100)

Overall I'd rank my choices as follows:

(1) St. Regis
(2) Fairfax
(3) W Hotel
(4) Westin Georgetown
(5) Westin CC
Old Jun 10, 2012, 1:58 am

SPG in Washington D.C.

Looking for a reasonably priced hotel that has larger sized standard rooms. Of the following, which one would be more convenient for getting to the popular tourist sites?

Four Points by Sheraton Washington D.C. Downtown
The Westin Washington, D.C. City Center
The Westin Georgetown, Washington D.C.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 5:13 am

DC

Have stayed in all 3. Westin City Center has best location for tourist stuff. 4 Points is only one with a pool (rooftop). Georgetown is in a nice location - a little quieter. I believe both Westins are converted and rooms are not cookie cutter - odd shaped and vary, particularly Georgetown. Can walk to many attractions from all with 4 Points being the least convenient.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: BA Gold; AA Lfe Time PLT ; Marriott Titanium, LFT GLD
Originally Posted by znke252
Looking for a reasonably priced hotel that has larger sized standard rooms. Of the following, which one would be more convenient for getting to the popular tourist sites?

I have stayed at all of these. I found the Westin Georgetown to be the nicest in terms of the room, the facilities and the general area. I like it that there are a number of restaurants, coffee shop etc in the immediate area around this hotel. It also is in a little quiter area.

The Westin DC center I would rate next in order. My rooms have always been quite as they face into an internal closed attrium.

The 4 points has a definite Econo lodge type vibe. I also thought it was noisier in terms of sireens etc outside on the street. Some times it has a significantly lower price that the other two but not always.

I agree with the previous poster that the rooms in the Westin's have odd shapes but I have always got a larger than average room.

I like the Georgetown location. In DC I always use the Metro to get around so I just look at how close the hotel is to a metro location.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:01 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I live in the D.C. area and have never stayed at any of the three you listed...so I'll leave that advice to others (I personally love the LeMeridien in Arlington, VA that used to be a Kimpton...I've stayed there on a staycation and it's right on the Orange/Blue lines as well as a walk across a nice bridge into Georgetown).

Anywho, all three of your options are reasonably close to most sights. All three are just a few blocks from Orange/Blue line Metro stops and the Union Station/Georgetown Circulator (really popular $1 bus, runs every 10 minutes.)

Most main sights are off of the Orange/Blue:
Foggy Bottom: Lincoln Memorial
McPherson Square: White House
Smithsonian: Museums of National and American History, Sackler/Freer Galleries, Washington Monument, Jefferson Memorial, Holocaust Museum
Federal Center: Air and Space Museum, Botanical Gardens
Capitol South: U.S. Capitol (House Side), Library of Congress

Off Red/Green/Yellow at Gallery Place/Chinatown:
Verizon Center
National Portrait Gallery
Museum of Crime and Punishment ($)
Spy Museum ($)

Off Red at Union Station:
National Postal Museum
U.S. Capitol (Senate Side)

Off Green/Yellow at National Archives:
National Archives
National Sculpture Garden
National Gallery of Art
Old Jun 10, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: SPG Plat / Marriott Plat / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by znke252

You would want to be by a metro although the buses aren't bad in Georgetown. The issue is, Georgetown is a mad house during rush hour. Also, will you have a car? You will always pay a premium for Georgetown.

Honestly, The Fairfax at Embassy Row is an excellent hotel and is very close to the Dupont station on the Red line. You can get a standard room for the same prices as the other hotels you mentioned. It has a residential feel and is not in a "busy" location relative to the other hotels you mentioned.

The only way I would consider Four Points is if price is a concern. I prefer being in DC rather than Virginia, for me it's a different vibe.
Old Jun 10, 2012, 10:18 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, SPG LT Plat & Plat 100, SWA A+ & CP
Personally, I like the Sheraton Suites Alexandria. In a quiet neighborhood, close to train, and a 5 minute walk to King Street in Alexandria.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by vrundmc
...Honestly, The Fairfax at Embassy Row is an excellent hotel and is very close to the Dupont station on the Red line. You can get a standard room for the same prices as the other hotels you mentioned. It has a residential feel and is not in a "busy" location relative to the other hotels you mentioned....

Thanks to all for the excellent feedback. It's been a crazy couple of weeks, so now I'm finally able to put some of this info to work. We've tentatively booked at the Fairfax and looking forward to visiting DC.
Old Jul 23, 2012, 9:31 pm

Recently returned from DC and had a fabulous stay at the Fairfax on Embassy Row. The Staff were absolutely wonderful and made us feel welcome. The hotel is spotless and in a great location, close to the metro as well as Dupont Circle which has many restaurants from which to choose. I definitely recommend this hotel for a DC stay. There are others that are closer to the Mall, where the museums are located, but we found the subway easy to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.