Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Rommie2k6
How long does it take for the free cert for the SPG Business card to post? It's been 3 weeks since I paid the AF and NOTHING. Really pissed off.... I need the cert to come in time, because I'm cancelling my SPG card and I want to get the cert before the window where we dont get AF refunds.
Either Feb 2 or Mar 2.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by nabeelj
So you're pissed off because you want to rip off Amex and they're smart enough to put protection against it?
They screwed me first when they devalued SPG to earn 66% of what it WAS.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 2:11 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
i get the feeling that Marriott is responsible for the devaluation and not AMEX. The SPG Amex was a great card since it’s inception years ago, right up until the merger took effect. In fact, as soon as the merger was first announced, I knew that SPG AMEX had probably seen its better days.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
So they did something which you consider, let's say, unethical, yes? And to get them back, you're going to engage in unethical behavior of your own?
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
So they did something which you consider, let's say, unethical, yes? And to get them back, you're going to engage in unethical behavior of your own?
What’s even more absurd is the free night was offered to offset the devaluation!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:07 am

I am curious about the way this works behind the scenes. Does Marriott get a certain amount of dollars back from Amex, then Marriott uses this as points? Or does Amex buy points at a discount from Marriott, then Marriott sets the value of points?

If if anyone can point me to a thread that explains how miles/hotel points work with credit card issuers that would be great.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:23 pm

Data point: annual fee on my Personal SPG posted on 11/18/2018, free night cert posted to my Marriott account on 1/3/2019.
CodeAdam10 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 9:12 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by mk712
Data point: annual fee on my Personal SPG posted on 11/18/2018, free night cert posted to my Marriott account on 1/3/2019.
My free night posted on the same date, but my annual fee posted over a week before this one. Maybe they are doing a monthly sweep?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kremmen
My free night posted on the same date, but my annual fee posted over a week before this one. Maybe they are doing a monthly sweep?
Yes, they are. All free nights for the US SPG Amex post on the 2nd of the month. Maybe it was a day late in Jan because the 1st was a holiday.
Old Jan 8, 2019, 5:32 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by leinez
Trying to confirm whether the elite credit from Amex for 2018 was 5 or 7 nights. I understand it was supposed to be 5 nights and 2 stays, but it looks like my account received 7 nights credit. I'm close to 50 nights this year and I'd like to make sure this is not a mistake and Marriott comes back next year saying I'm two nights short of Platinum if I hit exactly 50 nights for 2018 (incl. the 7 from Amex).
Hey I didn't see anyone respond. It was 5 nights in 2018. Is it 15 nights in 2019? When will these post?
Old Jan 8, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by uppereastsider
Has anyone got the free night award certificate?

I paid my annual fee last month, but didn't receive a certificate. I know, I know, it says 8-12 weeks, but for the Chase Marriott Business Card, I got the certificate the day after my statement closed with the fee.

I've been able to redeem the first certificate for ~300 dollar/night stay at the Marriott in London and have another night using 35k points, but would much prefer to use this certificate and get some decent value out of this sock drawer card
Free night award received on Jan 3rd after paying annual fee in November. Applied immediately to Marriott Kensington, which was going for 330 USD all in. This card has earned its annual fee and rightful spot in my sock drawer.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:08 am
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
If you have an active SPG Business card please let me know if your SPG points are detailed on your January 2019 statement.

For the first time ever, my Statement that closed a few days ago is blank in the upper right hand corner where the points are typically listed and there is no detail at the bottom of the statement.

I just called CS and after 10 minutes on hold the agent told me that her supervisor informed her that going forward “for security purposes “ points will not be listed on our Business statements anymore.

This sounds like pure unadulterated BS IMHO but she insisted the information is accurate.

Please let me know if you see your points on your SPG statement.

The only reason I am still using my SPG Biz card anyways is a combo of a) laziness, inertia and habit b) the fact that I have so many autopay accounts set up c) my high (over 50K) credit limit d) Amex roped me in with 40000 bonus point offer for spend a few months ago.

But if this is true it will push me to Ink.

Appreciate any data you can provide.

Last edited by damon88; Jan 19, 2019 at 11:24 am
Old Jan 19, 2019, 11:49 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by damon88
If you have an active SPG Business card please let me know if your SPG points are detailed on your January 2019 statement.

For the first time ever, my Statement that closed a few days ago is blank in the upper right hand corner where the points are typically listed and there is no detail at the bottom of the statement.

I just called CS and after 10 minutes on hold the agent told me that her supervisor informed her that going forward “for security purposes “ points will not be listed on our Business statements anymore.

This sounds like pure unadulterated BS IMHO but she insisted the information is accurate.

The only reason I am still using my SPG Biz card anyways is a combo of a) laziness, inertia and habit b) the fact that I have so many autopay accounts set up c) my high (over 50K) credit limit d) Amex roped me in with 40000 bonus point offer for spend a few months ago.

Maybe it's an AMEX thing, and not just isolated to business cards, because I am also seeing this on my Aspire card, which just closed a couple of days ago.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 12:00 pm
SPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Lifetime Titanium, Delta Plat, Hilton Diamond , Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Saidoh

Maybe it's an AMEX thing, and not just isolated to business cards, because I am also seeing this on my Aspire card, which just closed a couple of days ago.

My Legacy SPG personal account closed on 1/9 and still shows points in the upper right hand corner.

The CSA specifically told me the change was due to Business owners requesting the info be redacted from statements so that employees/bookkeepers would not see the point balances.

Again- to me it sounds like one of those ridiculous stories Customer Service agents invent to explain events they don’t know how to explain . (Once when Amex didn’t post my points an agent insisted that if a customer paid their card off before the statement closing date that points wouldn’t post that month )

Would just like concrete evidence that other SPG Biz card holders are seeing points detail on their statements. This seems like an easy one to debunk.
Old Jan 19, 2019, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by damon88

FYI, this happened on my Nov statement, the one where I earned the 15K bonus points. On Dec statement, things were back to normal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.