Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2018, 1:45 pm

Originally Posted by starmie
My card anniversary date was in July. I changed the statement close date therefore the annual fee actually got posted on Aug 2nd.
Anyone has similar experience? Did you receive the free night in your Marriott account?
I still haven't received it yet, and today is the last day I could cancel this card with annual fee refund.
I did the same thing. My close date was July 27th and changed it to Aug 8th and my statement closed on Aug 8th and my AF hit on Aug 8th too. No FREE NIGHT in my account yet but they said its gonna take 4-6 weeks after AF is paid. Im going to keep the card as i have both personal and Business versions and value free nights (35K) more than the fee. I did get the retention offer on my personal for 20K points without any minimum spend to meet so im happy. I did also received the 100K offer to upgrade it to Lux card but im gonna Pass.
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:20 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Referral Bonus

This is the T&C of the current SPG Amex referral bonus:

The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
You can receive 20,000 bonus points (“Referral Bonus”) for each new The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express application you refer resulting in an approved account, up to a maximum of 55,000 bonus points per calendar year.

Doesn't it seem strange that the referral bonus would be capped at something other than a multiple of 20,000 points since each referral yields 20,000?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by controller1
This is the T&C of the current SPG Amex referral bonus:

The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
You can receive 20,000 bonus points (“Referral Bonus”) for each new The Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express application you refer resulting in an approved account, up to a maximum of 55,000 bonus points per calendar year.

Doesn't it seem strange that the referral bonus would be capped at something other than a multiple of 20,000 points since each referral yields 20,000?
Yes, but Amex has done this many times in the past. Your last qualifying referral is worth less than the others, basically.
Old Sep 8, 2018, 11:53 am

I've cancelled my card since no retention offer was given and I've applied for SPG Luxury. Hope you could get a free night this year
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:43 am

Programs: United 1P
I opened an Amex SPG personal card in March 2016, and closed the account a year later. I do not have other Marriott of SPG cards. However, when I applied for Amex SPG Business, I was told that I am not eligible for the sign on bonus. Does anyone know why?

Kevin
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by kgkg
I opened an Amex SPG personal card in March 2016, and closed the account a year later. I do not have other Marriott of SPG cards. However, when I applied for Amex SPG Business, I was told that I am not eligible for the sign on bonus. Does anyone know why?

Kevin
Amex has been denying bonuses to people who they deem as churners. This is relatively new, and we don't know exactly what triggers it or how to get around it. The prevailing theory is that those who open cards, meet spend, then close them without additional spend are getting denied.

At least they tell you up front that you aren't eligible so you don't waste a hard pull though.
tscateh likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
Amex has been denying bonuses to people who they deem as churners. This is relatively new, and we don't know exactly what triggers it or how to get around it. The prevailing theory is that those who open cards, meet spend, then close them without additional spend are getting denied.

At least they tell you up front that you aren't eligible so you don't waste a hard pull though.
Ok. Thanks! But I had Amex cards that I kept open after getting bonuses.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by kgkg
Ok. Thanks! But I had Amex cards that I kept open after getting bonuses.
It's not an exact science, it looks like you need to be doing ongoing spend with Amex, but there is definitely more going on than that. It's likely going to be too complex with too few dp to find out exactly what gets you into/out of the naughty list with amex. Try to put more spend on your amex cards and try again in a month to see if they bonus denial keeps happening. You don't lose anything by trying.
kgkg likes this.
Old Sep 13, 2018, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by asot550
It's not an exact science, it looks like you need to be doing ongoing spend with Amex, but there is definitely more going on than that. It's likely going to be too complex with too few dp to find out exactly what gets you into/out of the naughty list with amex. Try to put more spend on your amex cards and try again in a month to see if they bonus denial keeps happening. You don't lose anything by trying.
Thanks!
Old Sep 16, 2018, 9:21 am

Has anybody actually gotten the free night after the merger? Looks like someone above said they were told 4-6 weeks after AF paid. Does this apply if the AF posted BEFORE the merger? After all, the new cards launched weeks before this.
My AF for SPG Biz card posted 8/17, it’s $65 since I’ve had the card for a few years. I’ll pay the AF as long as I get the 35k free night, but I don’t want to find out later that my card doesn’t qualify because it’s only $65 AF.

Last edited by DaveInLA; Sep 16, 2018 at 9:42 am
Old Sep 21, 2018, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by DaveInLA
Has anybody actually gotten the free night after the merger? Looks like someone above said they were told 4-6 weeks after AF paid. Does this apply if the AF posted BEFORE the merger? After all, the new cards launched weeks before this.
My AF for SPG Biz card posted 8/17, it’s $65 since I’ve had the card for a few years. I’ll pay the AF as long as I get the 35k free night, but I don’t want to find out later that my card doesn’t qualify because it’s only $65 AF.
I received my annual free night but it is only for 25K poiunts. I thought that even the regular SPG card gives one 35K points annual free night.
Am I mistaken?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:14 pm

Originally Posted by Paulchili
I received my annual free night but it is only for 25K poiunts. I thought that even the regular SPG card gives one 35K points annual free night.
Am I mistaken?
When was your AF posted? Is you'd personal or business card?
Old Sep 21, 2018, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DaveInLA
The cut off date is August 1st, and is based on Anniversary Date. If your anniversary date is July 31st or before, you would need to wait till NEXT year to get your first FN!

If you go to the benefits of SPG card, you will see the Free Night benefit there. Click the Learn More box, it would then bring you to another screen to further explain it and how / when you will receive it, looks like would be in your account activity on SPG.com when it is issued.

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Am I mistaken?
Where did you see your free night cert? Is it shown on the Activity screen of your SPG account or the combined account if you have done the Combine Account thing?
The SPG biz card said it was 35K pts cert. I dont know about the personal card.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:10 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
The cut off date is August 1st, and is based on Anniversary Date. If your anniversary date is July 31st or before, you would need to wait till NEXT year to get your first FN!

If you go to the benefits of SPG card, you will see the Free Night benefit there. Click the Learn More box, it would then bring you to another screen to further explain it and how / when you will receive it, looks like would be in your account activity on SPG.com when it is issued.

Where did you see your free night cert? Is it shown on the Activity screen of your SPG account or the combined account if you have done the Combine Account thing?
The SPG biz card said it was 35K pts cert. I dont know about the personal card.
Maybe he is referring to his Marriot card free night which is capped at 25k? I don't think anyones SPG free nights is been posted yet. But yes SPG personal also comes with 35k night
Old Sep 22, 2018, 11:05 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by Dr.Leo
Maybe he is referring to his Marriot card free night which is capped at 25k? I don't think anyones SPG free nights is been posted yet. But yes SPG personal also comes with 35k night
I made some calls and you are correct. I assumed it was my SPG free night as I paid my annual fee in July. As pointed out by Happy that free night will not be available till July 2019 at 30K (if I renew my card).
The free night was a Marriott card whose anniversary is in Sept and was for 25K (previously was 35K).
I promptly cancelled the card before paying the annual fee and will most likely cancel the SPG card next July before the fee is due. I currently have several SPG reservations so I will keep the card till next July.
There are other programs that work for me better with these changes.
YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.