Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Old Aug 29, 2018, 5:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by RobUAIntl
I actually have all four cards (SPG AMEX Personal and Business, Chase Marriott Visa Personal and Business) and I received and retained 40 nights total (5 each for AMEX and 15 each for Visa). This is making PPE very easy for me to obtain this year. Three nights to go till 75 this year.
Same for me --- 40 nights from credit cards (plus additional nights from Marriott spend on credit cards) and three nights to go for 75 for this year.

I've already cancelled the business Chase Marriott Visa and the personal Starwood Amex (both were up for renewal in late July). Next to go is the business Starwood Amex when it comes up for renewal later in the year.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 7:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by NJFlyer_HOHO
My 5 AMEX nights are still missing.

Quick "stupid" question, how do you display the "paid nights" on the website? It doesn't show the number of nights on the screen, just says "Hotel Stay". Am I missing anything?
Not a stupid question - it is not exactly intuitive. Log into website (not app) and click on the icon in the top right to get to your account info menu and click “Activity”, and on that screen in the top right is your 2018 nights, and under it a link “DETAILS” which you can click to see how many nights paid, redeemed, etc.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:19 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
I'm missing my 11 SPG nights from previous years. One for a night back in 2015 and 10 from 2 years having the AMEX SPG. I'm 67 nights and 1 year of status away from LT Gold so no immediate concern. Will let things settle down first and see if it gets fixed going forward.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 8:21 pm

My 10 nights from both the personal AMEX and business AMEX were moved to the "paid nights" column too.
Old Aug 29, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: UA Platinum 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
My SPG AMEX (Personal Card) closed 8/17 and posted to my merged Marriott account on 8/28. It actually worked without intervention. And without me notifying them of the new number.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 4:53 am

Programs: MR/SPG Plat, HH Gold, DL PM
Originally Posted by bigbellymonkey
was it automatic? or u had to call?
It was automatic.
Old Aug 30, 2018, 8:47 pm

Has anyone actually confirmed with Marriott that we can get the 15+5 this year? My 15 nights are not showing in my Marriott account yet bc my anniversary is not until December. I did not upgrade card yet so I could get my 15 for the year. I don’t want to ride into December counting on those 5 Amex nights and then be surprised that late in the game. If we aren’t going to get those extra 5 nights I need to plan another weekend trip BC I’ll be a couple short. I guess I should probably do that anyways to be in the safe side.

Im one night short on my spg account but thinking that’s prob from a July 30th night. I have not combined accounts yet.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:03 am

My card anniversary date was in July. I changed the statement close date therefore the annual fee actually got posted on Aug 2nd.
Anyone has similar experience? Did you receive the free night in your Marriott account?
I still haven't received it yet, and today is the last day I could cancel this card with annual fee refund.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 1:05 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, SPG/Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have both AMEX personal and business cards, but I think they only took away 5 nights. I've re-tallied my nights multiple times and that's the only explanation I have for my total nights tally.
Old Aug 31, 2018, 2:10 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Kacee
I originally thought these were AMEX night credits that disappeared from my account, but I'm pretty sure they were SPG nights from stays after mid-July. They now show under "activity" but they are not counted in my total.
Exactly my issue as well. And confusing, since those stays show in activity along with points earned - but do not show in total nights.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 4:41 pm

Missing Amex SPG credit card elite nights

Apologies if there's another thread on this, but I couldn't find one. My account is missing 10 elite nights and I'm pretty sure it's from the Amex SPG cards (both personal and business). Is this a generalized problem where all the Amex SPG nights are missing or is it just me? Has anyone gotten it fixed by calling in?

I've been playing the "wait and see if Marriott fixes it by itself" game, but I'm just about out of time on that because I have a lot of $$$ stays coming up soon and these 10 nights push me over the 75-night hump. I don't really want to leave behind the extra 25% point bonus just because Marriott hasn't gotten its act together on crediting these nights.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:09 pm

Programs: Delta 2MM/Diamond Elite, United 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite/LT Platinum
See this thread in the Starwood subforum:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/star...ts-credit.html
Old Sep 4, 2018, 6:26 pm

Question Free Night Cert

I had the pre-consolidation SPG AMEX and hit the spend requirement for the free night certificate after the consolidation. The statement I hit the spend posted already but I never got a notification about the free night certificate. Does it show up in my account somewhere or do I get an email? How long does it usually take from when you hit the spend?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:17 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
30k Points for $15k?

Okay, need some help interpreting a promotion I was sent and signed up for last month. This promotion below says spend $10k to earn 20k points and then another $5k to earn another 10k points so total of $15k for 30k points. When I signed up I originally thought these were the old Starpoints. But given the post merger world I now think these are the now devalued points.

Am I missing something here? Isn't this a bit of a high spend threshold to get 30k points? I'm going to get the Luxury card but need to apply for that before 31 Oct to get the 100k points (not the crappy 15k upgrade offer they sent me). But I don't want to do that before finishing this off and will take me close to end of Oct just to hit these levels. Thoughts?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 8:54 am

My offer was $20k to receive a $250 credit. So your offer of spending $15k for 30k Marriott points does not seem any worse. If you received the offer in August, then it does sound like MR points. I would just ask Amex.

Edited to add: Your screenshot refers to "points" and not Starpoints. Amex said new MR points would be described this way, and it was mentioned on a printed statement a few months ago.

Last edited by rrgg; Sep 5, 2018 at 10:51 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.