Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2017, 3:34 am

Originally Posted by rxgeek
Good timing. I have the same question.
I try to put all bonus category charges (that's not SPG/Marriott related) on the Chase cards and everything else on the AMEX. While SPG points can be more valuable, UR's travel portal offers a lot of flexibility if you can't find good redemption value on flights or SPG stays. I found this particularly useful for Europe stays and short domestic flights.
Old Mar 4, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
My spg points for the initial spend hit within a few days. I quickly hit the 2nd tier min spend, but the final 10k points have not showed for 4 busineas days already. I did ma by buying an amex gc, so now i am concerned it didnt count.
I am very impressed with the posting of the initial spend points - was within a day or two of reaching the threshold (was expecting maybe after the balance was actually paid). Not sure about the secondary 10,000 spend points, as I'm not likely to hit that limit until my next hotel checkout/rental car return.

I can see where a GC might not count, though - maybe check the Ts&Cs?
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Just got a 5k bonus SPG points for $5k in spend between now and May 31st. Solid promo, will shift my non-bonused spend over here from my CFU.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:25 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
Just got a 5k bonus SPG points for $5k in spend between now and May 31st. Solid promo, will shift my non-bonused spend over here from my CFU.
I also got this promo, but am really hoping it counts the spend on my current statement that closes in 2 days!
Old Mar 5, 2017, 5:41 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat Prem, Hilton Diamond, Delta Diamond
same, should hit it by end of March.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
How did you receive this offer? Via email? Is there a link? Is this one of those offers that we can sign up for via twitter? Thx
Old Mar 5, 2017, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
How did you receive this offer? Via email? Is there a link? Is this one of those offers that we can sign up for via twitter? Thx
Came via e-mail for me.
Old Mar 5, 2017, 10:20 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
New business card

I've had a personal card since 1999 and just got the business card for a 25K promo (spending $5K in 3 months) and first year fee waived. (Main reason was the guaranteed access to the club lounge which seems to be spotty even with gold status). My plan was to cancel my personal card. The new yearly fee on the personal card showed up in today's statement. I called to find out by when I needed to cancel to get my full $95 back. The rep talked me into keeping the card by giving me a $100 statement credit which covers the fee. Gives me time to make sure that all automatic payments are changed. I transferred most of my available credit over so only have $2K left on the personal card. Might transfer some back. If they do this each year I have no problem keeping both accounts. I just don't want to pay two fees. The point he made is that I would be giving up my 18 year credit history. He made me an offer I couldn't refuse. I would also get the night and stay credits from both cards next year so that's pretty good - easier to get gold. I have no problem keeping both accounts. Once I get my bonus I'll decide how to use each.
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Came via email. This is the link pulled from the email:

https://rewards.americanexpress.com/...arwoodcf8k0001

It's a targeted campaign so worth trying but doubt it will work if you didn't receive the email (saying from experience when others have reported targeted emails and the provided link doesn't work for me when not targeted)
Old Mar 6, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Just tried it and it didn't work. Not eligible. Thanks anyhow!
Old Mar 6, 2017, 7:33 pm

5k points for $5k spend:

Of course, I'm a SPG LTZ - Lifetime Zero offers. Who else is in my camp?

Last edited by ddjen11; Mar 6, 2017 at 7:48 pm Reason: ddjen11
Old Mar 7, 2017, 9:56 am

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mia
Yes. The once-in-a-lifetime policy applies only to personal cards issued by American Express (USA). The business card policy is that you can reapply and earn a bonus 12 months after cancelling the identical card. Remember, these are generalizations. Some offers may differ. Read and understand the terms before applying.
The above post was the latest I found on churning - from what I've read, personal cards cannot be churn. Is this still true? And what about business card? any insight will be greatly appreciated
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:36 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by hotelfanatic
The above post was the latest I found on churning - from what I've read, personal cards cannot be churn. Is this still true? And what about business card? any insight will be greatly appreciated
There is no difference between personal and business bonus practices. You need to read the terms of the individual offer. Most offers says: This offer is also not available to applicants who have or have had this product. This means you are not eligible for a new account bonus if you have had the same card. In practice, American Express looks back about seven years.

Targeted offers that you may receive by mail or email may not include that restriction.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 10:43 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by ddjen11
5k points for $5k spend:

Of course, I'm a SPG LTZ - Lifetime Zero offers. Who else is in my camp?
This is a targeted offer... sadly I wasn't targeted
Old Apr 1, 2017, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA General Member, AA Gold, SPG (Bonvoy) Gold; IHG Plat. Ambassador
Just made a reservation for tonight at the Four Points Buffalo Grove hotel in Illinois but for some reason the charge came through as a Wyndham charge on my SPG Amex. I imagine this has been experienced before at other properties? Will I have to fight AMEX or SPG or both to get the bonus points deserved for using that card at an SPG property?

Thanks

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.