Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 12, 2014, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10
For discussion of the now expired offer for a 35K signup bonus, see Amex SPG 35,000 business and personal cards-2016 [No referral offers in this thread.]

USA-issued card benefits changed on August 11, 2015. (Announcement & extended discussion at American Express and Starwood enhance cobrand credit card benefits.) The benefits are slightly different for personal and business cards:

Public Links:
- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- The Annual Fee is $450.

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 3x on restaurants and airfare; 2x on all other purchases.

- Enjoy up to $300 in statement credits each year of Card Membership for eligible purchases at participating Marriott Bonvoy hotels

- FREE NIGHT AWARD: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 50,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- COMPLIMENTARY GOLD ELITE STATUS: Enjoy complimentary Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite status with your Card. Earn Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite status after making $75,000 in eligible purchases on your Card in a calendar year.

- Other Highlighted Benefits: Priority Pass Select Membership, Global Entry credit, No Foreign Transaction fees.

- Earn 100,000 bonus Marriott Bonvoy points after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months. Offer ends 04/24/2019.

- $125 Annual Fee (If application received before 03/28/19, $0 intro annual fee for the first year, then $95)

- Earn 6x at Marriott properties; 4x at U.S. restaurants, at U.S. gas stations, on wireless telephone services & on U.S. purchases for shipping; 2x on all other purchases.

- Free Night Award: Receive 1 Free Night Award every year after your Card account anniversary. Award can be used for one night (redemption level at or under 35,000 Marriott Bonvoy points) at a participating hotel.

- Complimentary Silver Elite Status

- No Foreign Transaction Fees

Other related discussion:
Print Wikipost

SPG American Express [Master Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:48 am

Programs: 25 million points to burn!
Actually, the referral bonus is alive and well in Canada! 8K bonus for a referral, better than the US version has even been. All you need is a Canadian bank account and a residential address in Canada. You don't need to enter your SIN.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 11:59 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by Elevation
I have checked your Starwood Preferred Guest Card and see that you are eligible to earn 10,000 bonus StarPoints once you make the first purchase on the Card (built-in Welcome bonus) within the first year (365 days) of opening the account. These points have been issued to you on 09/24/12.

At the moment, we are unable to confirm you were eligible for an additional 15,000 points on spending $5,000.00 in six months on it.

I've therefore forwarded the matter to our research team. They will verify your eligibility and if the criteria have been met, they will advise accordingly.

We appreciate your patience while we try to resolve the matter for you.
I have a different potential problem concerning this bonus but didn't want to start a new thread so...
I barely met this spending requirement for the extra 15,000 point bonus last month and immediately saw the points posted in my account after I did. Unfortunately one of the payments I made to reach that threshold was an Amazon Payment to my brother who is apparently having trouble getting his (shady?) credit union to link to his newly-opened account to access the payment. It looks like he may just have to send me back the money. If he does, my SPG AMEX will be credited back that payment, which would then, retroactively, put me below the spending threshold I'd previously reached. My question is, would SPG then reclaim that 15,000 point bonus since I didn't actually reach the spending threshold? Just want to make sure before I have my brother give up on his credit union and just send the money back to me.
Thanks for any help.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would just charge something else to keep above the threshold. Buy a gift card to your grocery store or prepay a utility or cell phone bill.
Old Mar 25, 2013, 8:21 pm

Programs: OnePass, MilesPlus, AAdvantage, SkyMiles (unfortunately), PC Plat, HH Silver, Marriott Aluminium
Originally Posted by josephstern
I would just charge something else to keep above the threshold. Buy a gift card to your grocery store or prepay a utility or cell phone bill.
I think I forgot to mention that the time period for the spending ended last month. Would continued spending now have any effect on that potential refund of last month's charge, in the sense of keeping the points I had previously qualified for?
(I think I'm confusing myself.)
Old Mar 25, 2013, 10:53 pm

Programs: AA, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by dontippet
I received my 15K points without a problem.
I applied for the business SPG AMEX few weeks back on the AMEX site, and 10K initial points posted within a day after 1st purchase. For those having trouble with the 15K bonus posting, do they seem to be the personal or business versions of the card?
Old Mar 26, 2013, 2:29 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Well, I've spent 4 of the $5K and really hope the 15K reward goes smoothly... But, I am definately getting nervous after reading these experiences. Amex needs to quit jerking people around. Its really sad that we even have to worry about this stuff. Hopefully we will all get our bonuses hassel free and timely!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Hotrod992
Well, I've spent 4 of the $5K and really hope the 15K reward goes smoothly... But, I am definately getting nervous after reading these experiences. Amex needs to quit jerking people around. Its really sad that we even have to worry about this stuff. Hopefully we will all get our bonuses hassel free and timely!
Amex tries really hard to position themselves as a high-end elite company, and I'm sure for their Centurion cardholders, they offer great service.

But for the rest of us, it's business as usual. And, if you see the new prepaid and reloadable products they're pushing, they're moving downscale to where the fat fees are. So service should only deteriorate further.

Make sure you get what you deserve, but don't expect an easy time of it.
Old Mar 26, 2013, 4:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite, Delta Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hertz President's Circle
I am $100 away from passing the $5k threshold...I will keep everyone posted when I get these 15k pts!
Old Mar 26, 2013, 5:21 pm

Got this card today, albeit with a ridiculous $2k limit. Credit score in the high 700's. Why issue me a hotel card that I could max out in less than a week of stays?! (I realize I am not exactly the first person with this issue) Anywho, here goes, hope it's smooth sailing on the bonus front. Will call now to activate and confirm.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 9:53 am

Programs: Hyatt, Kimpton, Red Lion, SPG
Originally Posted by hotstepper
I applied for the business SPG AMEX few weeks back on the AMEX site, and 10K initial points posted within a day after 1st purchase. For those having trouble with the 15K bonus posting, do they seem to be the personal or business versions of the card?
I've got the personal card. I messaged them again, but am still waiting for a response with any amount of substance in it.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 2:07 pm

I struck out on my third try through the secure messaging center.

Thanks for taking the time to email me, Brian.

I have reviewed your account, as well as the prior email correspondence and was only able to verify that you were eligible for the 10,000 bonus points, which you have already received. Our records indicate that you applied under the following promotion:

Existing Cardmembers who apply online and are approved for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express through this offer between May 1, 2012, and November 1, 2012, can get:

10,000 bonus Starpoints once they make the first purchase on the Card (built-in Welcome bonus) within the first year (365 days) of opening the account.
Introductory annual membership fee of $0 for the first year, then an annual membership fee of $65 after that

I understand that promotions are constantly changing, but we can not honor a different promotion, other than the one that we show your account being linked to. I wish that I was able to extend the promotion to you, but unfortunately we are unable to, my hands are tied in this situation.

I hope you understand our position in this matter.

I replied by asking to escalate this to the responder's supervisor. I don't know what to do now. I don't want to give up.
Old Mar 28, 2013, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Question

If I cancel an spg Amex card, does spg deduct from my account the already-credited two stays/five nights associated with the card? Or, once credited, are they locked in there?

Thanks for any clarification.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 1:22 pm

I was offered 7,500 Starpoints as a good will gesture. I'm semi-happy.
Old Mar 29, 2013, 4:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Elevation
I struck out on my third try through the secure messaging center.

Thanks for taking the time to email me, Brian.

I have reviewed your account, as well as the prior email correspondence and was only able to verify that you were eligible for the 10,000 bonus points, which you have already received. Our records indicate that you applied under the following promotion:

Existing Cardmembers who apply online and are approved for the Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card from American Express through this offer between May 1, 2012, and November 1, 2012, can get:

10,000 bonus Starpoints once they make the first purchase on the Card (built-in Welcome bonus) within the first year (365 days) of opening the account.
Introductory annual membership fee of $0 for the first year, then an annual membership fee of $65 after that

I understand that promotions are constantly changing, but we can not honor a different promotion, other than the one that we show your account being linked to. I wish that I was able to extend the promotion to you, but unfortunately we are unable to, my hands are tied in this situation.

I hope you understand our position in this matter.

I replied by asking to escalate this to the responder's supervisor. I don't know what to do now. I don't want to give up.
I wonder what they mean by "Existing Cardmembers who apply online..."??
Did you previously have the SPG Amex card ?? And maybe somehow not be eligible for the 15,000 bonus or something?

Ive only had this card for a short time and Im kinda of excited about its rewards... However, I will feel forced to cancel If I dont recieve the 15,000 Starpoints I was promised... Just wont feel comfortable usinging the card... I would feel cheated... Im not really sure 7,500 starpoints will change my mind either...
Old Mar 29, 2013, 10:04 pm

I wonder what they mean by "Existing Cardmembers who apply online..."??
Did you previously have the SPG Amex card ?? And maybe somehow not be eligible for the 15,000 bonus or something?

Ive only had this card for a short time and Im kinda of excited about its rewards... However, I will feel forced to cancel If I dont recieve the 15,000 Starpoints I was promised... Just wont feel comfortable usinging the card... I would feel cheated... Im not really sure 7,500 starpoints will change my mind either...
I never had an SPG Amex card. I had a Green Card and Premier Card when I applied and was accepted. I was told the reason I wasn't eligible for the 15,000 point bonus was because I was already an AMEX member. That didn't stop them from giving me a 25,000 bonus (which I didn't even have to ask for) on my Premier Card a couple of years ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.